Cut Back On Bp Or W...

Notifications
Clear all

Cut Back On Bp Or Wait It Out?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/07/2013 6:34 pm

Heyy all!

I've been using the full amount of Dan's BP for what I believe is about a month now, and my face keeps getting this leather like feeling (build up of dry dead skin cells) and when this sheds my skin stays red and annoyed until it rebuilds and the cycle repeats ( I can literally see a line where I apply the BP and my normal skin)... I know some people cannot tolerate the full amount of BP, and others notice this go away after awhile.. but it's been making me so self conscious that I don't want to go out and such.. I figured that after 2 months and a week of using BP and almost a month of using the full amount that my face would be used to it by now... I'm probably about 85% clear on my face and 70%ish on my forehead.. should I reduce to one application nightly to see if the irritation reduces? and just spot treat during the day? It's just so confusing... I want to reduce the BP to ease the irritation, but use enough that I maintain at least satisfactory results... It's frustrating not know what to do~

I am using a ton of jojoba oil and I still have the issue.. so I'm not sure exactly what I should do..

Any suggestions, opinions, or comments are welcome!

Thanks (:

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/07/2013 6:47 pm

Garrett, it may be time to introduce AHA. Excessive dryness is a big problem for me too and i find that AHA helps with he flakiness and dry feeling. I have only used it twice but i'm hoping that after a months use, i'll notice a big difference. You may want to do that before reducing BP but if BP is irritating your skin, then by all means, do it.

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/07/2013 6:57 pm

Well I'm assuming the BP is being too irritating, when I sweat my face will hurt, and it hurts for a couple hours after I apply moisturizer.. I feel like my face would literally die right now if I put on AHA on-top of that ahaha. The jojoba oil takes care of most of the flakes, that combined with some very mild exfoliation in the shower ( I know I'm not supposed too, sometimes I just can't help it! ahah) It's just the redness all over I can't stand the most..

I just wanna be able to start going for runs again (haven't even dared to run in months since starting the regimen) and not have my face feel like an irritated tomato.. ahaha.

I just want to find a balance where I don't break out, and don't have so much irritation.. hmm~

Thanks for your reply (:

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:11 pm

Reduce the amount of BP in order to find the right balance, just don't just stop, otherwise you more than likely break out. I personally started applying twice per day with BP, and now am only using it at night- but i slowly reduced the amount over a period of roughly six months. It really does suck when your skin is sensitive from BP, u just have to ride it out and find the right amount for you. Ps: You could try AHA, however i personally wouldn't bring in any more variables if your skin is this sensitive. Good luck

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:13 pm

Reduce the amount of BP in order to find the right balance, just don't just stop, otherwise you more than likely break out. I personally started applying twice per day with BP, and now am only using it at night- but i slowly reduced the amount over a period of roughly six months. It really does suck when your skin is sensitive from BP, u just have to ride it out and find the right amount for you. Ps: You could try AHA, however i personally wouldn't bring in any more variables if your skin is this sensitive. Good luck

Were you 100% clear before you started reducing? and do you find it's just as effective now only applying it at night?

I'll probably try using 1 pump tomorrow in the day, and then 2 at night.. and work my way down slowly to just spot treat in day and full application only nightly.

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:32 pm

I wasn't 100% clear no, but close to it, however my irritated skin was horrible, and at that point of time i was willing to get acne, in order to reduce irritation. I then started reducing the amount of BP, and my skin was still responding (preventing breakouts) and at the same time reduce redness and irritation. I also like to run and workout during the day, and at this stage it was just impossible, my face got extremely irritated when i used BP during the day. Now all i do is the same regime (at night) but instead apply sunscreen during the day, and have reduced my irritation significantly as well as my acne. I do occasionally get acne during the day- but it is a lot better then having a red face all day.

Hope this helps :)

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:45 pm

I wasn't 100% clear no, but close to it, however my irritated skin was horrible, and at that point of time i was willing to get acne, in order to reduce irritation. I then started reducing the amount of BP, and my skin was still responding (preventing breakouts) and at the same time reduce redness and irritation. I also like to run and workout during the day, and at this stage it was just impossible, my face got extremely irritated when i used BP during the day. Now all i do is the same regime (at night) but instead apply sunscreen during the day, and have reduced my irritation significantly as well as my acne. I do occasionally get acne during the day- but it is a lot better then having a red face all day.

Hope this helps smile.png

Thank you so much for the advice ahaha, just what I wanted to hear (:

One more question for you if you don't mind! How far were you into the regimen when you started to reduce?... I just want to know if you were as far along as I am now? (2 months 1 week)

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:58 pm

I was roughly around 4 months, however i was pretty aware that my skin was becoming more and more irritated and wasn't just the 'initial' regime irritation. You know you skin better than anyone, so if you feel that it is just the initial phase of the regime then stick with it. However if you feel that you skin is in fact becoming more irritated then start to reduce the amount of BP. If you choose to reduce, do so in very small amounts, until you find you right balance ;).

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 07/07/2013 8:35 pm

I agree with underneath about not introducing AHA if you're still red and irritated. If your skin was just really dry and flaky but not overly red then AHA is the go, but otherwise I feel you will just be adding too much irritation.

You really should stop 'exfoliating' in the shower though. You may feel like its helping but it really isn't.

As for dropping the amount of BP, its really a fine balance. Reduce it really really slowly because you may find that if you reduce it too fast you'll start to majorly break out and then it is even harder to get back up to the level of BP you were using previously. Everything about this regimen is slow and patience. Its such a shame that you're still really red after 2 months though...that's a real bummer!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/07/2013 8:52 pm

Hmmm, I've been thinking, since I only Incorporated jojoba oil last week, and I have been exfoliating and such... maybe this irritated my face to the BP cause I was constantly exposing the fresh skin to the product.. not giving it the proper time to adjust.. I may try hanging low for a week, not doing any exfoliation or anything besides letting my face respond to the regimen and using jojoba oil and see where it goes from there.. if I see no improvement at all then I will start reducing BP as a last resort.

You've all given me a lot to think about! ahah, but since this is working good for my acne I owe it to at least stick it out for 1 week without any interference from exfoliation ect ect... I may be a flaking mess by the end of it, but at least I'll be able to say I tried ;p

I shall report back with my findings!

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 07/08/2013 3:24 am

I suffered the same fate as well but the jojoba oil + moisturizer helped eliminate the flakes and redness after the 3rd day of using jojoba oil. What cleanser and moisturizer do you use?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/08/2013 7:43 am

I suffered the same fate as well but the jojoba oil + moisturizer helped eliminate the flakes and redness after the 3rd day of using jojoba oil. What cleanser and moisturizer do you use?

I use spectro gel cleanser for acne prone skin.. its probably the most gentle cleanser I've ever used ahaha, and I use CeraVe moisturizing lotion. How much jojoba oil do you use? and do you ever exfoliate?.. cause I feel like that's what may be irritating my skin more than necessary.

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 07/08/2013 10:33 pm

5-6 drops of [Dessert essence's] jojoba oil will do the trick

And yes I do. I use Kind To Skin Smoothing Facial Scrub on a daily basis as my cleanser although I just realized I should only be using it once or twice a week. This product helps wash away all the dead skin off my face and along with jojoba oil, it makes my face look nice and smooth like my ass. Lol I'm serious.

I've never had a problem with that facial scrub (no redness/irritation) so perhaps, you should give it a try. Just a tip. Good luck bro.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 07/10/2013 9:51 am

I had the same problem as you except my irritation started even further down the road. I don't know if you remember but you commented on my post once about it! In any case, for me I had to drop the BP altogether and ended up getting prescribed clindoxyl as well.

When my skin was dry and irritated, I took ~10 drops of jojoba oil directly on my face and I would REALLY GENTLY massage those areas for a bit. If you do it lightly enough I don't think it will irritate the skin, and after 5-10 minutes some of the dead skin cells will start to peel off. It's almost like exfoliating? And then I would just wash it off with the cleanser and put on moisturiser as part of my nightly routine. You can also try to steam your face (make sure it's not burning hot). As for general redness and irritation, the ice cube method works well!

Good luck! Hopefully if you slowly reduce the BP your skin will readjust!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/10/2013 10:25 am

I've heard of people developing a sensitivity to the BP after being on it awhile.. I almost feel like that might be different than the initial sensitivity everyone experiences. Also Isn't clindoxyl just 5% BP with Clindamycin? I figure that would be much more irritating ahaha.

The roughness and some of the redness seems to be dying down from not exfoliating/irritating at all, but my face is quiet flaky and annoying, I'm going to stick with it for a week. My face never stays super irritated, its just the redness that I find unbearable, I hate looking like I went tanning wearing glasses ahah, cause you can see the skin color difference where I didn't put BP around my eyes.

I've read the "What to expect" and "The regimen handbook" and they both talk about this sort of skin going on till month 4 or so then recovering.. I just hope it goes away soon ahah, it's so annoying!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 07/18/2013 1:04 pm

So it's been a bit since I did any sort of update~ My flakiness/annoying irritation got to bad to deal with shortly after the last post... so I reduced the treatment to 2 pumps of BP at night and then just spot treat in the morning.. it's been a week and my face feels and looks so much less irritated, and I've only been getting a couple little pimples here and there.. and even some days I'm completely clear!

I just hope that my face doesn't just spring back to the awful way it was.. but judging on how It's been about a week, and my face still remains clear and such, the nightly application seems to be suppressing the breakouts just fine.

I suppose all in all for it being less than 3 months of starting BP I'm doing pretty good! I would say my face is at any given time 90% clearer then it was.. I just have the expected casual breakouts.

I guess I will use this thread as my "updates" thread, and let you guys know periodically if there's any other news (:

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/19/2013 12:12 pm

So it's been a bit since I did any sort of update~ My flakiness/annoying irritation got to bad to deal with shortly after the last post... so I reduced the treatment to 2 pumps of BP at night and then just spot treat in the morning.. it's been a week and my face feels and looks so much less irritated, and I've only been getting a couple little pimples here and there.. and even some days I'm completely clear!

I just hope that my face doesn't just spring back to the awful way it was.. but judging on how It's been about a week, and my face still remains clear and such, the nightly application seems to be suppressing the breakouts just fine.

I suppose all in all for it being less than 3 months of starting BP I'm doing pretty good! I would say my face is at any given time 90% clearer then it was.. I just have the expected casual breakouts.

I guess I will use this thread as my "updates" thread, and let you guys know periodically if there's any other news (:

Hey that's good news! Hope you continue to see improvement with just a nightly application.

I want to do this myself eventually, as I do a lot of outdoor activities, running, soccer, etc... and I can't imagine doing too much of that with BP streaming down my face.

You know, if you eventually found that once a day wasn't enough... you could try putting BP over moisturizer during the day? I've read threads on the forum where people have successfully done that, and the Regimen didn't lose its potency. I'd imagine BP over moisturizer would be a lot less drying and irritating.