Notifications
Clear all

Non-Comedogenic Hair Products

MemberMember
(@gyroscope352)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:33 pm

Hey all! I don't spend a ton of time around here anymore, but recently did a lot of digging on this particular subject and thought I would start a thread with my findings where others could join in!

Finding non-comedogenic hair products has always been a pain, partially because I don't think the companies really worry about it, but also because even when a product may be non-comedogenic, it's not a label they're going to put on a hair product--after all, it's for your hair, not your face, right?

Unfortunately, those of us with acne know that things are never so simple. If you have long hair, your hair product can get on your face and clog pores, and if you don't wash your hair before bed every night, it can get on your pillow and then on your face. So, sometimes these things can cause problems.

So, after some research (both on these forums and elsewhere), here are a few products I've found that should be acne-friendly:

• MAK Glypto molding paste. This is specifically labeled as non-comedogenic. I haven't tested this one out myself, but it's there.
  • Menscience Hair Styling Gel. Another product specifically marked as non-comedogenic. Good for those that want a gel rather than a paste (though I usually prefer paste to the crunchy, shiny look of gel). Menscience also makes a pomade, but unfortunately it is NOT non-comedogenic, so I do not recommend it.
  • Bumble and Bumble Sumotech molding compound. This one is kind of an in-between paste/creme kind of product, and while it doesn't say non-comedogenic on it, I looked up the ingredients and didn't find any that were specifically comedogenic--in fact, all of them appear in other products marked non-comedogenic. I've been using this one a lot recently and have not broken out. Plus it does exactly what I want it to do in my hair.
  • Aloe Vera Gel. This is a popular suggestion in these forums--works like a hair gel, is non-comedogenic.

That's all I've really found in my travels, but I'm sure there are a few more out there we can add to the list! Note that as a guy, most of my research was for male-centric products, but females should absolutely feel free to chime in with their findings as well.

MemberMember
(@porter)

Posted : 12/01/2018 1:56 am

Thank you for the list of products.I have tried all of them and found that the MAK glypto hair paste has worked the best, its really good stuff. Besides having no break outs the 4 oz jar last me 6 months, follow the directions and only use a small amount with a drop of water and it works perfectly. They also have a good shampoo and conditioner I now use.

MemberMember
(@nancydew)

Posted : 12/19/2018 4:54 am

I'm so glad I found this post. I was using aloe vera gel for some time, now will give a try to MAK.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 12/28/2018 6:09 pm

That's awesome, thanks for this post!! I feel like it's enough work to research makeup, etc ,let alone shampoo, so thanks for doing the extra work!

MemberMember
(@heavenswings)

Posted : 01/11/2019 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for all the tips. I researched the MAK products and decided to try the hair spray, shampoo and conditioner as they are good for sensitive skin and they seem to be working out good so far. I use to get a lot of breakouts around the hair line and forehead but have been using the MAK stuff for 3 months and no breakouts. They all have a good smell and I love how the shampoo and conditioner make my hair feel. I found the products from this site and your research so thank you.

0-9.jpeg