Notifications
Clear all

Need Advice For Fading Red Marks From Acne!

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/07/2013 12:31 am

Warning this is VERY long! Sorry I just really needed a place to vent Lol!

Hi everyone, so I have been suffering from acne for about 6 years now and it has been extremely difficult for me both physically and mentally. I will first give you a little history on my skin so you can understand. I have been going to the dermatologist to treat it ever since I started to get it when I was about 12. Unfortunately it is genetic and runs in both sides of my family. Although my mom had it much more severe and needed Accutane to clear it up, my dad had it as well. My older sister (who is a year older than me) has it as well. I do not have severe cystic acne like my mother did, thank God, so I am not a candidate for Accutane.

I have tried soo many different products from prescription topical creams to oral medications, as well as several over the counter products. In the past couple years I have been prescribed Duac, Epiduo, Differin, Finacea, and I think some others but I can't remember them all Lol! I have also tried two different oral medications: Monodox and Bactrim (I remember that Bactrim kind of helped, but Monodox did nothing).

Because the prescription creams and pills could never entirely clear up my skin, I have tried some other products and treatments on my own in hopes to speed up the process. I have used the Tria (blue light), Clarisea (products with sea salt), different face scrubs, masks... Etc. I have gotten facials and salicylic acid peels done at my dermatologist's office. And I have even tried at home remedies including aspirin masks, baking soda masks and apple cider vinegar toner.

( keep in mind that I didn't use all of these at once, but over a period of years Lol)

And honestly that was definitely not everything I've tried over the years, I could go on forever listing more haha! And because of all the crap I've put on it, I can safely say I have pretty tough skin Lol!

Right now I am currently keeping my routine simple. I am using the prescription medicines Tretinoin at night and a benzoyl peroxide gel in the morning. I use a gentle cleanser and homemade apple cider vinegar toner every morning and night. I also use Benzefoam for my back-- yes I get it on my body too... I know gross! I have only been using the ACV toner for about 2-1/2 weeks, but I've been using the prescription meds for over 6 months.

I do think that the Tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide are helping in keeping my acne some what under control, of course I know it's not perfect, but it's better than it was! My back has also cleared up :) ! But the major issue I am dealing with now is the red marks! And I am having a lot of emotional issues dealing with the scars because even though my acne is under control, I feel like it's still there because I still have red spots all over my cheeks, chin and jawline! They are flat, which is better in a way, but I still need a lot of makeup to hide them which is insanely upsetting! I feel so close, but yet so far because the red marks make it feel like I still have a lot of acne :(. This is why I started to use an ACV toner, with hopes that it would help fade the marks. And I do think it has helped fade them somewhat, but they are still pretty bad.

So basically right now I just really need help with the red marks. I am leaving for college late August and I just really don't want college to be like high school for me! My self esteem sunk to an all time low over these past few years because of my skin and I started to become slightly depressed and less social. I am naturally a happy and fun person but my skin really controls my mood, so I'm afraid I won't make the best out of college if my skin keeps holding me back! I'm sorry I keep blabbing, I just really needed to vent!

If you read all of that, you are absolutely AMAZING Lol! And if you have any advice to help me with my red marks it would be much appreciated!! :) I am actually going to see my dermatologist next week, and I was thinking of asking her about trying a chemical peel for my red marks.

So if anyone has any advice on chemical peels or had a positive experience with another product/treatment for red marks, please comment! :) Thanks again!!!!

P.s. I still have active acne, so all products must be non comedogenic

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/07/2013 3:52 am

Im in a similar situation as you as I face my breakouts under control now using differin but am left with a ton of red marks. I really dont have any good advice for you but my red marks are slowly fading every week just from using differin. I know time is the biggest factor with redmarks but Im sure there are faster was to clear it up such as chemical peels which someone with more experience can probably help you out. Anyway good luck!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/07/2013 5:06 am

AHA is a good choice if it agrees with your skin. It will help fade red marks and it may help your other medications to penetrate better too

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/07/2013 10:35 am

Thanks for your replies! That's great that your marks are beginning to fade from the Differin :). I do think the Tretinoin is helping fade mine slowly as well, but the issue is that because I have so many I often forget how much they've improved.

I keep hearing people mention AHA but I don't completely understand how to use it or what it is! Should I find a product with AHA in it or can I use AHA by itself?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:54 am

bha and aha!depending on the concentration,time may vary.

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/08/2013 8:37 am

Thanks!! So I found Dan's AHA+ product on this website and I was thinking of ordering it since it is pretty inexpensive! Did anyone have success in fading their red marks with this product? Also I wasn't sure how to use it because I already use topical creams morning and night... Should I just apply it over the creams?

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 07/08/2013 2:49 pm

ACV really helped me. Do you dilute yours? I use mine full strength but I have tough skin. Pics show before and after I used ACV (cleared up my cysts and marks within a couple of days). There have been a few red marks that didn't go away as fast.

Microdermabrasion worked really well for me. After 3 sessions, red marks are completely gone but you shouldn't have an active acne when getting it done.

post-152731-0-50005700-1373312842_thumb.

post-152731-0-04033000-1373312852_thumb.

post-152731-0-50005700-1373312842_thumb.

post-152731-0-04033000-1373312852_thumb.

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/08/2013 5:33 pm

I dillute the ACV because at first when I didn't dillute it I broke out, but then when I added more water I wasn't breaking out as bad. Maybe I will increase the amount of ACV because my skin has become accustomed to it. But to be honest I'm not sure if it's really helping. At first I saw some improvement, but now it hasn't really changed. I've been using it for about 3 weeks. But thanks for the before and after pictures, your skin looks great :) !

I'm going to the Dermatologist in two days so maybe I can ask her about Microdermabrasion, Thanks!!!

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/10/2013 10:44 pm

Today I went to the dermatologist and when I asked about a chemical peel she decided against it-- said it could aggravate my skin.

So now that a chemical peel is out of the picture, I'm back to square one! So if anyone else found a good product that helped fade their marks please feel free to comment! Also I know I was recommended microdermabrasion, but since I still have active acne I do not think that is a good idea.

Anyway I was planning on ordering Dan's AHA+ product, any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/12/2013 10:38 am

I know right now I'm basically talking to myself since this thread is pretty quiet Lol, but I ordered the AHA+ product and I should get it in about a week. I plan on updating and sharing my results in case I can help anyone who's in a similar situation as me. I do have some "before" pictures of my face now, and hopefully there will be some positive "after" pictures that I can share! :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/13/2013 1:31 am

I know right now I'm basically talking to myself since this thread is pretty quiet Lol, but I ordered the AHA+ product and I should get it in about a week. I plan on updating and sharing my results in case I can help anyone who's in a similar situation as me. I do have some "before" pictures of my face now, and hopefully there will be some positive "after" pictures that I can share! smile.png

all the best.

just follow the regimen steps (AHA in ur case) and i am sure u'll see results.

MemberMember
(@christine19)

Posted : 07/13/2013 10:10 am

Thanks!!! :)