Notifications
Clear all

Dry Skin From Differin

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/06/2013 9:26 pm

Hey everyone. I'm 15, and I've had light acne since I was about 10. It progressed to light-mild, then I started differin and it's been quite light. I've been on differin since February 2012 and the cleanser I'm using is Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, and a moisturiser called Dove Protective Lotion. This is all working fine, however, since I'm pale skinned, the differin has made my face look red and pasty. I think it's also the reason why I get dry skin around my nose and chin. It's not a huge amount of dry skin, but it's enough to make me wonder if the dry skin is causing some breakouts. The thing is, I RARELY get breakouts anymore because of differin, and even if I do get the occasional pimple, it goes away within a day. I was just wondering if I should start using differin every other night, or maybe even start exfoliating once a week? I really need to get rid of this dry, pasty skin, someone please help. Also, the cetaphil doesn't feel like it's cleaning very well, but it's been working well since the start of 2012 and ah I just don't know someone please help me..

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/07/2013 4:00 am

I would try using more moisturizer or a different kind. I wouldnt start using differin every other night though because you dont want to change something that is working for you unless completley necessary. I would also recommend cerave face wash.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/07/2013 5:10 am

I agree with te abover poster. if its not broken, don't fix it. You can try adding jojoba oil to see if that helps. Add a few drops to your regular moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/07/2013 6:10 am

I was actually thinking about cerave face wash, is it really better than cetaphil? And my doctor said that my results with differin wouldn't change if I switched to every other night, my face just looks really pasty and the only way I can fix that is if I'm in the sun for like 10 minutes then my skin looks glowing and clean. Maybe my face looks pasty because I'm on holidays and all I've been doing is going to bed late and staying inside..

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/07/2013 1:32 pm

Cerave seems to feel its cleaning my skin better and it leaves it feeling hydrated in my opinion. All you can do is try to switch things up if you feel it's necessary through trial and error.

MemberMember
(@fluxo)

Posted : 07/07/2013 1:41 pm

you should try use differin every other night, my dermatologist also recommended this and it worked

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 07/07/2013 1:46 pm

I've been using Differin for 3+ years. I really don't think that CeraVe or Cetaphil are that beneficial in terms of cleansing. I would only recommend those for the first 4 months or so on Differin so you can see how your skin can react and make sure it doesn't get overexfoliated. I use a pumpkin lactic acid cleanser from Rhonda Allison and I think it's much more beneficial to my routine than using a drugstore cleanser. I also exfoliate with an enzyme weekly. It all depends on your ability to analyze your skin and then choose the right products for you. Invest wisely. I don't think an exfoliant would be a bad thing to add into your routine once a week.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:17 pm

I need to find a good exfoliator then, if anyone could recommend any I'd love that! I'm gonna start using differin every other night and buy the cerave cleanser, but what's the cerave cleanser specifically called? They have like 3 cleansers

Oh and will I break out from switching cleansers?

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:48 pm

So apparently you can't buy cerave here in Australia..

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:04 pm

You could always order it off Amazon if your really interested in it or Im sure there are similar products to it out there too.

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/08/2013 7:13 pm

Should i switch to differin every other night?

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/10/2013 10:24 am

bump

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/10/2013 8:40 pm

Sorry man I just dont know. You can try it and see if it works for you? I myself wouldnt switch to every other day because differin doesnt clear me 100 percent to begin with.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/11/2013 12:25 pm

I've been using Differin for 3+ years. I really don't think that CeraVe or Cetaphil are that beneficial in terms of cleansing. I would only recommend those for the first 4 months or so on Differin so you can see how your skin can react and make sure it doesn't get overexfoliated. I use a pumpkin lactic acid cleanser from Rhonda Allison and I think it's much more beneficial to my routine than using a drugstore cleanser. I also exfoliate with an enzyme weekly. It all depends on your ability to analyze your skin and then choose the right products for you. Invest wisely. I don't think an exfoliant would be a bad thing to add into your routine once a week.

Ive been on Differin .03 for a few months now, wash with CeraVe and its cleared me pretty well. I still get a spot or two though. I used Differin and Duac back in high school for a few years and it cleared me really well then I got off it because I join the Army and my face expoloded which led me to Accutane. Of course it returned again after my course and Im back on Differin this time without Duac because BP makes my face red and flush now. So my question to you is what exactly is your routine? Minus the Duac. I need to add something to mine to go along with the Differin because while I only have a few spots my face has a ton of tiny bumps. Looks really uneven. Just wondering if you could suggest something like a exfoliant you use. Sorry for the life story lol

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/13/2013 7:30 am

Holy shit I changed to using differin every second night and it's making my face so much smoother and gives it a much more even tone! It actually makes my face look and feel better than using it every night! I advise anyone that's been using differin for a while to change to using it every other night, and on the second nights when you DON'T use differin, use your moisturiser and only that!