Notifications
Clear all

What Should I Do? Sudden Breakout ! ( Pic Inc)

MemberMember
(@weirdlogic)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:33 am

Hey all

I haven't used this website since ca two years perhaps ?!

Mainly because I had my acne somewhat under control since then...

But these days my skin is getting worse and worse ( my pores have always been huge , not blessed with good skin genes either)

getting more whiteheads, papules, clogged pores... I keep popping the whiteheads because they are just BEGGING to be popped.

and I'd rather have red spots than gross whiteheads.

I tend to eat super healthy ( mostly organic, avoid sugar , white anything ( bread, pasta , etc)

Sometimes gluten free) I really watch what I eat without over stressing about it ... I love veg/fruits to begin with

and not fussed about meat these days.

and I believe am allergic to dairy, have not been tested but am 98%certain.

I cycle for about an hour/ day or more so i think I am getting moderate amount of excercise ?!

I've quit smoking since January and I don't drink so often. Only beer and wine now and then.

And as for my skin care routine:

I wash my face with noreva zineac face wash in the evening. in the morning just with water.

For moisturizer , I use this brand Dermaessence soft cream which is catered for acne skin but without all the harsh ingredients and

Avene triacneal for my blackheads ( kind of working ??) And /// epiduo...

Wanted to stop using BP because I didn't want to be dependent on it and I'm worried about its

longterm sideeffects . but it seems to be the only thing that keeps my acne from going crazy at the moment.

I've tried tea tree oil, jojoba oil, turmeric, yogurt, honey , lemon etc masks ... all sorts of natural remedies...

I *think* I'm allergic to most of them... I always break out in tiny spots afterwards... (it's great for the first few days then BAM)

my acne is also hormonal but I can't take birth control as my mom had breast cancer and that would be the worst thing to take for my situation.

Ideally I would like to go for the holistic method but .., I feel I need something more drastic?!

what are my options? I find dermatologists to be generally usesless! I know more about skincare than they do!?

this also affects my mood...

post-114936-0-47954900-1373092352_thumb.

post-114936-0-80727800-1373092406_thumb.

post-114936-0-47954900-1373092352_thumb.

post-114936-0-80727800-1373092406_thumb.

MemberMember
(@weirdlogic)

Posted : 07/06/2013 3:56 pm

Anyone ??

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/06/2013 4:22 pm

If your acne is hormonal, have you thought about an anti- androgen like Spiro. It still has its side effects but perhaps it won't have the same risks as birth control. Other than that, i have to say your acne is fortunately not too bad (mild at best) so maybe spiro with a topical of your choice can be beneficial. There is:

Atralin (which is a milder form of retin a which i liked but it didn't help my acne)

The Regimen (which in all honesty may be over kill and it has BP which you're trying to get away from)

Taz (which again might be over kill)

A derm may better be able to advise you in terms of a topical but i think since hormones may be a factor, you have to consider oral meds

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/06/2013 5:43 pm

Are you taking any supplements? I know you state that you think you may have an allergy to dairy; have you cut it from your diet? Are you drinking any diet sodas, 'sugar free' food products, or Splenda-type sweeteners in your beverages? I found these 'fake' sugars cause me to break out immediately. Are you using any products to gently chemically exfoliate? I suggest a low % BHA along with a low % AHA, use one or the other, every other night to gently clean out your pores. Ensure the acid product you select is of the correct PH, to allow proper exfoliation.

MemberMember
(@weirdlogic)

Posted : 07/07/2013 10:57 am

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. No I have not really looked into Spiro. I've heard that it could possibly increase the risk of breast cancer and weight gain... I'm pretty thin to begin with/fast metabolism so I don't know how my body will react to it but am a bit worried about that too. I will ask my gyno in 2 weeks.

you think it's mild acne? I thought it was a bit more than that!

and Atralin also sounds interesting... the rest , as you've said, might be overkill..

anyhow thanks for the suggestions

If your acne is hormonal, have you thought about an anti- androgen like Spiro. It still has its side effects but perhaps it won't have the same risks as birth control. Other than that, i have to say your acne is fortunately not too bad (mild at best) so maybe spiro with a topical of your choice can be beneficial. There is:

Atralin (which is a milder form of retin a which i liked but it didn't help my acne)

The Regimen (which in all honesty may be over kill and it has BP which you're trying to get away from)

Taz (which again might be over kill)

A derm may better be able to advise you in terms of a topical but i think since hormones may be a factor, you have to consider oral meds

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/07/2013 11:23 am

I've used PC products on & off. I find the 2% bha liquid is too drying (hence irritating and acne inducing) for my skin. I rotate Garden of Wisdom's 5% mandelic acid with PC's 1% bha gel. The mandelic acid's molecules are smaller and able to penetrate the pore easier than other aha's, thus reducing irritation. I swear by mandelic acid, it is relatively unknown, but a fabulous, zero irritation, no flaking, no drying exfoliant.

As far as your diet goes, it sounds like you are on the right track. Try cutting out dairy completely for 2 weeks, including all cheeses and milk. If you see no cause of effect with that elimination, try cutting out all wheat products completely. That is a tough one to follow, I know.

Try adding a D3 supplement to your vitamin regimen. Many people find that adding a high iu D3 is the key to their clearing success. I found a great supplement by NOW brand that is an A-5,000iu & D3-1,000iu combo. You can find it at a Vitamin Cottage, Natural Grocers, Whole Foods, Sprouts or on Amazon.