Notifications
Clear all

Adding Aha+ To My Regimen

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/05/2013 11:38 am

Hello all,

I'm not new to acne.org but i am new to AHA+. I haven't started using it yet, i just ordered some today. Hopefully it will arrive within a week. I've been on the Regimen for 4 weeks now. By the time the AHA+ gets to me i will be starting my 5th week on the regimen.

Just to give you a little background on my acne. I have moderate acne. I started the regimen 4 weeks ago. I would usually get 4 to 5 zits on my face at a time. But now that i have been on the regimen for a little over a month now i get 2 to 3 zits at a time on my face and they are pretty small. The zits i got before were kind of large. So i'm happy with how things are going for me. I have heard that some people purge when they start using AHA+. I'm kind of nervous about that. I thought about when i wanted to use AHA and i figured i should just start now rather then when i'm clear of acne. Since i still have acne i might as well have a possible break out now. I'd rather that then be clear and then all the sudden get acne on my face again lol. I have used Glycolic Acid 10% before. It was only one application i believe. I remember my skin not liking it too much. I can't remember if it was a rash type reaction or if my skin just burned a little when applying it and getting a little red. I have this feeling it just burned a little and got red. So if that true then i'm not worried about using it again. I say that because when i was getting used to benzoyl peroxide my skin got red a little and burned (still does). But i know that thats normal. So to try and avoid possibly breaking out or having a possible bad skin reaction i'm going to start out slow. Dan says you can do 1/2 and 1/2 ( 1/2 AHA and 1/2 moisturizer). So i'm going to do that but only 3 times the first week. I'm still thinking about if i want to do the same for the second week of using AHA or if i want to do 1/2 and 1/2 everday on the second week. My goal is to use AHA by itself at night 3 times a week. I just think gradually building it up is best.

Anyways, i will post again once i have started using the AHA and i will do updates on how it is or isn't working for me. I'll probably also add some before pictures and through the process pictures as well.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/05/2013 1:31 pm

Good luck to you with the AHA! I started last night and i mixed 2-3 tiny dollops with my moisturizer and experienced no burning or uncomfortable feeling. It is way too soon to see if this will break me out but like you, i plan to do it every other day for the first week or so and only a dollop.

Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/05/2013 6:30 pm

Here are some before AHA pictures. Most of what you see is hyper pigmentation (dark spots). Right now i only have 1 zit which is on my nose. The other red spots you see are not active.

post-209709-0-33100500-1373066949_thumb.

post-209709-0-42864500-1373066958_thumb.

post-209709-0-33100500-1373066949_thumb.

post-209709-0-42864500-1373066958_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/06/2013 9:17 pm

Its been a month and my skin still burns after i apply moisturizer to my skin after bp. When i start using the AHA i wonder how much my skin will burn lol. Because i know both make your skin burn. Oh man hopefully it won't be too awful.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/07/2013 5:15 am

I mixed my AHA with moisturizer and literally used 2 drops. It didn't sting at all. Also, make sure your BP has completely dried before adding moisturizer (10-15 minutes at least).

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/10/2013 8:53 pm

Yay i have received my AHA+ today in the mail. I will start using it tonight. Its exactly 5 weeks since i have started using the regimen. People who are reading this wish me luck with it.

I mixed my AHA with moisturizer and literally used 2 drops. It didn't sting at all. Also, make sure your BP has completely dried before adding moisturizer (10-15 minutes at least).

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/11/2013 5:14 pm

Hello again!

So i used the AHA last night 1/2 and 1/2 with my moisturizer. I thought it might sting but didn't which was great. I did feel slightly itchy on my jaw line. I think there might have been a slight tingling going on. I tried to measure equally the amount of AHA and moisturizer. I think the AHA is more liquid-like then my moisturizer so i may use a smaller amount to equal it out. I was afraid that my skin would react badly to the AHA just because i've used 10% Glycolic acid before and my face didn't like i too much. So far so good. Although its only been one use so far so i guess there is still time for something bad to happen if something would. I'm also hoping i won't break out. If i do i do then, but i hopefully won't be allergic. One other thing that i noticed is that when i woke up this morning to examine my face the more dry areas of my face felt a little smoother. Those areas also didn't have visible flakes. So that was really exciting! i know i still have flakes but it was nice to know that something could keep them at bay for a while. Another thing about that is usually after i wash my face and its completely dry or right after applying bp and its completely dry you can really see how bad my flakes are. But when i washed this morning the flakes didn't look as bad as usual. Same thing after applying the bp. So hopefully after using the AHA for a while the flakes will decrease and the dryness will decrease. That would be great. Its nice to look like you don't have flakes and to not look dry. But its also nice to not feel flaky and rough skin lol. So if i can have both that would be great.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/14/2013 8:11 am

Hi Jenn. I have used AHA a couple times so far and I like it. I think I purged a little but nothing too bad. It definitely helped smooth my skin but it hasn't completely gotten rid of my flakes which are brown against my pale skin. The first week I used it every 2 days and this week I am using it every other day. I mix it in with my moisturizer. Definitely ease into it so as not to cause unnecessary irritation.

Good Luck and keep us posted

MemberMember
(@djones175)

Posted : 07/18/2013 4:43 am

Aha+ is the best. It will sting, burn, irritate. ONLY for the first hour. I will mix 1/2 acne.org moisturizer and 1/2 aha+ and I went right into it without building up to aha without any side effects. All results every day!!!. I'm a beliver in this regimin thing it works and aha has taken care of me..... I had acne for 4-5 years before finding the acne.org website. I might even post a YouTube video!!!!! Right!!!?!?

MemberMember
(@jennb90)

Posted : 07/27/2013 10:01 pm

I guess its been a little while since i last wrote.

Update

Since the Wednesday that just past i have decided to use the 1/2 AHA and 1/2 moisturizer everyday. In combination with the Neutrogena Deep Moisture Night Cream i think its a little too intense for me. Even with out the AHA the Deep Moisture Night Cream gives me a hot sensation on my face. It doesn't feel hot to the touch it just feels very very warm. With the AHA i think that it tingles a bit in my dryer areas of my face. Which isn't something i really want to feel. The warm sensation is also a bit intense. I'm thinking of going back to the Neutrogena Combination skin moisturizer. Its not really as moisturizing but i think it works better with the AHA. I haven't really noticed much with my hyper pigmentation. I guess that really just takes a lot of time to notice a big difference. I'm hoping that the more i use AHA the more under control my flakes will be. They seem to be more rough these days and flake easier. I really hate this lol. I really hope the flakes lessen.