Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Change/relapse

MemberMember
(@mamakinrocks1)

Posted : 07/03/2013 6:49 pm

Hello!

I am a 55 year-old female. I have been on 100 mg of spiro for several years. It has worked like a charm. The hormonal breakouts around my mouth and chin quickly resolved and I rarely get a single blemish (more cyst-like). When I went for my one year follow up, several months ago, I was bumped down to a 50 mg tablet....written for twice a day, so that I could go back on my regular dose of 100 if necessary. My face started breaking out when I backed down, so I resumed taking the two 50 mg pills. My face is still having major breakouts around my mouth and chin...actually getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any difference between the 100 mg tablet vs 2-50s? I can't imagine, but perhaps there is some type of time-release issue to the 100? Thanks for any feedback!

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/03/2013 9:55 pm

I found a website called peoplespharmacy, which is a 'catch all' forum for people to bring their negative experiences with variations between a medication, be it a difference between name brand & generic, dosage differences or generic brand differences. I started a new antidepressant and was given the generic version, I had side effects that the pharmacist at the store was not familiar with, so I went online. On this website, the generic version of the antidepressant is well documented to have the same side effects I was experiencing, and the medication is WHACK when compared to the name brand. Maybe your rx was generic? Or a different manufacturing company? The FDA requires that generic versions of a medication have 20-80% of the active ingredient and the fillers are not regulated AT ALL. That means, the generic pill could legally contain only 20% of what the name brand contains. I will never choose generic, regardless of the pharmacist saying, 'they are EXACTLY the same'. Educate yourself before you believe what they are paid to say by the insurance companies. Insurance doesn't want to cover the high cost of name brands, so they say it is all the same.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:12 pm

That's good info 3lilpigs. Is this the issue for the original poster? I am on the brand name aldactone and it only comes in 50mg tablets. It's costing me $125 a month and I really want to switch to a generic which is basically free to see if it still works out for me..but I am afraid it won't.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:37 pm

Am on aldactone and get 100mg pills from Walgreens, maybe switch pharmacy, or like the above poster said check the brands and see if it's changed. Those fillers can really make a differnce.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/08/2013 4:23 pm

You can try calling around to several different pharmacies and ask if they carry the specific generic manufacturer's medication for you are looking. Or, if you ask the pharmacist at your present pharmacy, they may order the generic special for you. Walmart offered to do this for me, without my having to ask. The special ordered rx came in the next day. How's that for service?!

;)

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/11/2013 10:55 am

Am on aldactone and get 100mg pills from Walgreens, maybe switch pharmacy, or like the above poster said check the brands and see if it's changed. Those fillers can really make a differnce.

That's good info - thanks. How much does that cost you a month? I believe it would be about $100 when I asked about the 100mg tablets..at least that saves $25 a month.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/11/2013 9:02 pm

I have good insurance so I pay $12 a month. Are you uninsured why you would be paying 100 a month?