Notifications
Clear all

My Life & Acne

MemberMember
(@kawaiixoxo)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:23 pm

I had acne since middle school and my parents told me it would definitely get better as I got older and that by college, I would have clear skin! However, I am entering college and my acne has worsened. Now they are telling me that my skin will be clear once I reach 25ish. I am not so sure whether I should believe them anymore. One time, a random woman came up to me and asked me why my forehead looked so strange and asked me if I had some sort of a disease. That is when I realized that this was how people saw me. I did not notice, but when people see me, they are repulsed by the ugliness that is the acne scattered about my forehead. Normal people do not point it out because it is simply rude. But little kids, who do not know any better, point at my acne in curiosity. I know that these little kids should not impact me but they do. They make me feel humiliated inside. I always feel awkward and embarrassed when people around me talk about how disgusting they think acne looks on someone and how they hate when they get tiny breakouts. I cannot help but feel insecure all the time because of my acne. Like normal girls my age, I would like to feel pretty. I know that I certainly am not, but it would be nice to feel pretty for once. For once... You know? Whenever I take pictures with my friends, they always look really good in the photographs, but I always have two or three huge bumps of acne shining! It looks really disgusting. That is why when I take pictures of myself, I cut out my forehead. Looking in a really clear mirror makes me really depressed. It makes me sad. I can clearly see the little bumps, the redness, the patchiness, the scars. Makeup does not help me. I cannot cover them well with makeup. I am always so jealous of my friends with clear skin. I wish I had clear skin. Why did I have to be the one to have acne? It really hurts me psychologically. I am constantly reminded of it anywhere I go. As a university student, I wish to hold myself with poise and confidence, but this is impossible. I am too insecure to be able to carry myself in a confident manner. I WANT TO BE CONFIDENT BUT I JUST CAN'T!!! It makes me so sad that I have acne. Sometimes I just look at the mirror and can't help but cry. I wish I was born with perfect skin. I feel so bad that I have to make my parents waste their money on buying me makeup to cover my acne and treatments to treat it. I make their life difficult because I am so damn disgusting. I am so sad I have acne. so so sad. My face shape is already bad enough, but acne makes my insecurity worse. Because I have a square jaw, I am not very feminine or girly looking. I want to look like other people, but I know for a fact that no one wants to look like me.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:32 pm

First off I know how you feel. Acne kills my self confidence too but I know for a fact you are being way to hard on yourself. Im sure things arnt as bad as you think they are. We are are own worst critic. Have you thought about trying Accutane? It doesnt work for everyone but if its bad enough its worth a try.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 07/03/2013 4:02 pm

Like most other people on this forum, I can definitely relate. I'm 22, and since I was 12 I've struggled with acne. Some years are better than others, but recently I've hit a rough patch (for a variety of reasons). The older you get, I find the more resentment you hold towards acne. Personally, being in my early 20s, I feel cheated by life because I have to miss out on so much because the acne is holding me back - I can't go camping because I don't ever want to be seen without makeup, I can't go swimming with friends, when I have a bad breakout I have to miss parties because I feel so disgusting about myself, etc.

But I think things won't get better until you change your mindset. Obviously you could see a derm and get different products, but until you truly start believing that things will change for the better, I think even if there was improvement in your skin, you wouldn't think it was improvement because you're just stuck in this same mindset, that your acne is bad and you'll never have clear skin. A couple years back I started meditating because I was convinced that a lot of my acne may have been a result of the negative energy that was building up inside me. In my opinion, I think it helped. Whether you believe in this kind of stuff or not, I think the idea of clearing your mind and trying to be more optimistic will be good for you, and you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Send me a PM if you ever need someone to talk to!

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 07/05/2013 11:06 am

You should not let your confidence be determinated by a reflection you see in a mirror.

Little bumps, redness, scars, pimples, whiteheads... yeah, you have acne on your face, so what?

Acne does not make a people ugly. It's all in your head.

Like normal girls my age, I would like to feel pretty. I know that I certainly am not, but it would be nice to feel pretty for once.

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 07/05/2013 4:26 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I'd cry every single night before i went on Accutane...

But in reality - it's not that important to other as you think it is. Many of my friends have acne and I NEVER SEE ANY. Never. When i think of their faces, i can't even remember how acne would look like on them.. It's like it's not there. And i might subconsciously look at their acne sometimes when we talk but it's like a quick glance it doesn't mean anything and you think about it when you do it. it's like a glance at their hair or nose.. It's nothing. But you might be questioning yourself oh god, did they notice, do they hate me, are they disgusted? It's not like that.

And i've learnt one quite interesting thing while experiencing the both perspectives. When i had acne the easiest way was just look down and pretend i wasn't there and avoid all the eye contact avoid seeing their eyes traveling all over my face...But i didn't know back then, people notice it. People see and feel you're avoiding, they feel how bad you feel, they feel your insecurities. It makes them uncomfortable and awkward because they don't know what to do. And some might use the fact you don't appreciate yourself for bringing you down or using you. When you don't love yourself, others won't either because they see they can "afford you! "

if you show confidence, acne won't matter. I've seen a lovely sight of numerous guys with acne, i didn't care i think acne made them sooooooo much more attractive just because i thought to myself: oh god he is so brave and so comfortable in his own skin he can do it all blah blah :D But it's the truth, my truth at least.