Notifications
Clear all

Male Makeup For Acne And Acne Scars (Uk)

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:16 pm

Hey guys,

This may be a really stupid question about a dream product which doesn't exist, but do any guys out there have any makeup tips to cover up moderate acne and acne scars? My confidence is at the lowest it has ever been right now and, frankly, I'd rather be known as the guy who wears makeup than the 22 year old who has acne. Is there any type of foundation which will look natural, won't clog pores and will effectively cover acne on us guys? I have graduation photos in a few weeks and I'm petrified about having to walk around all day with my hair pulled off my face exposing my severe acne underneath.

I live in the UK, but I'm happy to order online if need be.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

MemberMember
(@likecake)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:46 pm

you can try mineral make up is good for acne prone skin, and if u want to look natural after make up, just use foundation same color as you, and this is about techique, if you doesnt want look cakey, you can watch you tube how bout make up techique, or you can go to make up artist and ask for help

MemberMember
(@mogthemighty)

Posted : 07/04/2013 4:36 am

Go to a makeup counter (I know how intimidating it is as a guy) and get matched with your colour; get a water based foundation and a water-based moisturiser; try applying it in sunlight with your hands, and also try those disposable sponges; but be really gentle and don't buff the product; if the foundation feels too thick try using less and mixing it with the water-based moisturiser.

Alternatively (I hate spending ages on makeup) you can just buy a transluscent powder and a fluffy powder brush; whirl it around in the powder and whip it over your face; if any areas need extra coverage just apply extra powder.

Most UK brands are the same; a cheap Tesco's own brand is considerably decent, so there's no need to spend 18 on a foundation/concealer.

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 07/09/2013 6:14 pm

If you're looking for a super discreet look, which I understand you may want, I'd stick with a powder. However, you won't necessaarily get the coverage you want unless you invest in a foundation. And to get that to look 100% natural is millon dollar problem on everyone's mind.

I think though, if you're going to wear makeup, you need to just accept that up close and in certain lighting it may be clear to other people who have a familiarity with makeup that you are also wearing it.

Just work it and be proud of it - it could do a lot for your confidence!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 07/10/2013 1:00 pm

Yes Bare Minerals would actually be perfect for you! Except the brushes are really sucky... well for me anyways because they are made of horse hair and i just happen to be allergic to horse hair. Anyways i would get a real techniques brush to replaces the brushes if you get the set. uhmmm i know they sell bare minerals at Ulta - i think sephora and maybe macys. Or Online on each site. :)

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/16/2013 6:21 am

After a bit of experimenting, I think I've found a good way to take some of the redness off. This doesn't cover active acne well and definitely doesn't give a flawless finish, but I'm not looking for that. Anything that can give a flawless finish is likely to be, on a guy at least, obviously makeup. Bare Minerals SPF 15 foundation (I use the "light" one, it's a tough lighter than my actual skin tone but I think this is a good thing) applied with a Real Techniques brush (thanks Avada Kedavra Acne!) really does take the edge off and it doesn't look like you're wearing makeup! I apply a very thin layer over my skin, wait a few minutes than pat off any excess. It works really well and just makes everything a little less obvious. To the average person, they probably look at me and still think "that guy has bad skin", but they don't think "that guy has terrible skin, AND he's wearing makeup".

This is quite a good article as well: http://www.pamperedprince.co.uk/2012/03/bare-minerals-concealer.html

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:34 am

I am also looking into this Bare Minerals SPF 15 Foundation but I read on a few older acne.org posts that quite a few people were broken out by it. Not sure if I should risk it or not :/