Notifications
Clear all

Worst Foods For Acne

MemberMember
(@stealth423)

Posted : 07/02/2013 2:33 pm

What do you think are the worst foods for skin. I'm guessing ice cream, soda and milk. I've replaced cows milk with almond and avoid the others. Hopefully it will help. My face is usually worse during the summer anyway.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/02/2013 4:13 pm

What do you think are the worst foods for skin. I'm guessing ice cream, soda and milk. I've replaced cows milk with almond and avoid the others. Hopefully it will help. My face is usually worse during the summer anyway.

Is the almond milk sweetened? Avoid any sweet drinks and high glycemic or insulinemic drink/meal. Also, other inflammatory 'foods' like hydrogenated/trans fats/oxidized vegetable oils-- vegetable oil, margarine, crisco, foods fried in oils that shouldn't be used at frying temperatures. Which means most fried foods and most baked goods as nearly all commercially prepared foods and most home prepared foods involve using the wrong fats.

And of course, anything you personally have an intolerance for.

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 07/02/2013 7:24 pm

My personal worst foods for you to consider are wheat and things that contain the artificial sweetener aspartame. I think everyone is so unique that it is hard to make broad generalizations, but you can discover your biggest triggers through trial and error.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:12 pm

Aspertame, sucralose, Splenda.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/02/2013 10:30 pm

My personal worst foods for you to consider are wheat and things that contain the artificial sweetener aspartame. I think everyone is so unique that it is hard to make broad generalizations, but you can discover your biggest triggers through trial and error.

Actually, the things I said apply to all humans and everything to do with health. Wheat and aspamarte aren't good for any one either, but how bad wheat is is individual and can depend on how it's prepared and what else you do.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/03/2013 12:47 am

Basically anything that is considered highly inflammatory:

• dairy
  • refined sugars
  • artificial sweeteners
  • 'white' things like pasta and bread and white flour baked goods in general
  • most grains
  • gluten
  • animal fats from pork, beef, and dairy
  • grain-fed beef
  • highly processed foods
  • 'junk' foods
  • high iodine content foods like kelp
MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:01 am

• dairy
  • refined sugars
  • artificial sweeteners
  • most grains
  • gluten
  • animal fats
  • grain-fed beef
  • highly processed foods
  • 'junk' foods

animal fat?

i though fish's oily skin which is considered fatty is good fat for almost everyone(except for the obese people).

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:03 am

animal fat?

i though fish's oily skin which is considered fatty is good fat for almost everyone(except for the obese people).

Sorry, should have been more specific. Was referring to pork, beef, and dairy.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/03/2013 7:49 am

• dairy
  • refined sugars
  • artificial sweeteners
  • most grains
  • gluten
  • animal fats
  • grain-fed beef
  • highly processed foods
  • 'junk' foods

animal fat?

If the animal ate its natural diet, its fine. It will have a better ratio of omega 3 to 6 fats, for example, if it wasn't fed grains.

The fat you need to avoid are the industrial fats and oils like 'vegetable'. oil and shortening. They aren't made from vegetables! And any hydrogenated fat like margarine. And oils used at higher heat Than they should be which here in the US means you should avoid most fried and baked goods.

MemberMember
(@wheatfree)

Posted : 07/03/2013 9:12 am

animal fat?

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/03/2013 12:53 pm

animal fat?

In general omega-3 fats are good. They decrease inflammation in the body. They are found in the fat in fish. Canola and olive oil are good sources, as are walnuts. Omega-6 fats are the ones people want to avoid. They increase inflammation in the body. The American diet is fraught with omega-6 fats. Vegetable oil that is typically used at your fast food joints for frying is a source of omega-6. This is why a lot of acne sufferers find relief by avoiding fried foods. Corn fed animals are higher in omega-6 fats than grass fed livestock.

You don't want to avoid all omega-6's. GLA from evening primrose oil, for example, is anti-inflammatory. I get what you were trying to say though. A typical modern diet causes a bad ratio of omega-3's (too little) to omega-6's (too much), so we need more omega-3's.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:50 pm

i am not sure about the chicken we have say once a week but we have fish of different kind(mostly try to keep it small size) which are 'wild' in the sense that they aint farmed or injected.not in most cases of course.

i have started having the fatty skin which i previously dint.

also,i have started having pumpkin seeds.

which i have read has oleic acid and some other fats.

i am hoping those are good fats,any idea?

(just to let u guys know, i got the raw seeds from a farmer who sells pumpkin and then did everything from cleaning,soaking overnight in salt water,drying,toasting at home)

i can have a handful everyday,right?

as for oils,

even here in india most shops or even homes use soyabean oil or sunflower oil etc.most shops use dalda(hydrogenated fat) or cheap oils like palm oil or other vegetable oil.i am not sure about sunflower oil though.

(i am curious why is sunflower seeds good but not the oil?)

all oils used here including rice bran oil and olive oil are all cooked on high flame.

is it okay to use olive oil on high flame?

also,does anybody know anything about rice-bran oil.

its supposedly all good.

i have some links on rice-bran oil in this thread.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/03/2013 7:57 pm

Yes, pumpkin seeds are high in the nutrients many people supplement for acne and related issues.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/03/2013 9:05 pm

It depends on how your body reacts to certain foods. I would say the obvious junk foods, but also something that you might think of as healthy might not be tolerated by your body. I used to eat tomatoes every day, they were even in my moisturizer, until I discovered that they trigger a histamine reaction. Now I avoid them more than anything else. Cider, which I thought was the healthiest form of alcohol when I go out with friends, turned out to be the worst for me along with wine (sulfites, histamines, etc), so now I drink vodka or beer once in a while with no negative consequences.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:06 pm

Yes, pumpkin seeds are high in the nutrients many people supplement for acne and related issues.

any idea about rice bran oil?

is it commonly used in the US?

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 08/17/2013 1:18 am

Ice cream is the absolute worst for me.

MemberMember
(@pinkunicorn)

Posted : 08/17/2013 1:40 pm

Milk does it for me, however after I quit for a few months and my acne almost dissapeared; now I can drink it again without it giving me many problems. Quite strange and makes me think. Here's a pretty good article related to some of the worst foods: *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

Hope that helps, if you're unsure just cut it out for a few weeks. No real reason to get tested for all kinds of allergies or intolerances.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:20 pm

No food directly causes acne. But... since all acne sufferers are androgen sensitive and their sebaceous glands are easily more stimulated to any type of normal hormonal fluctuation I would say any food that directly affects insulin is to be avoided. Things like artificial sugars and bad carbs are a poor choice for an acne sufferer or anyone else with any type of endocrine problem.