Notifications
Clear all

Really Starting To Struggle Emotionally

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:44 am

Hey guys,

Lately I feel like I've hit rock bottom with the emotional side of acne. I'm just so, so, unbelievably sick of it. I'm almost 23 years old and I'm still battling this horrible illness and, right now, aside from a particularly rough patch in late 2011, it's the worst it's ever been. Why on earth do I still have acne at this age?! I've always took great care of my skin, even before acne first developed (for me, it was around age 19... I know, right) I always took great care of my skin because I didn't want to risk getting this horrible illness.

Acne has completely stolen the last few years away from me - my time at university was almost entirely ruined because of acne. They say it's the best time of your life, but I spent most of it just holed up in my room, not wanting to go out and let people see me while I looked like this. Here I am now, applying for professional graduate jobs and going on interviews, still with a face full of spots. It's so disheartening walking into an interview waiting room and feeling like you like a 13 year old in their Dad's suit. Why can't I just be done with this already?

I'm so sick of acne dictating what I do and don't do. I want to be able to go on weekends away with friends, I want to be able to go out and drink, I want to be able to get up really early and not be afraid of what I look like. Every time I see somebody just casually glance in the mirror to check out their appearance, I can't even begin to describe the jealousy I feel. To be able to just look in the mirror! Without having to worry about who - what - is going to be starting back! That must be incredible.

I've wasted so much money over the years on useless, useless treatments which simply don't work. Despite years of being scared of going on it, now is the time for Accutane. Unfortunately because of NHS waiting lists, it'll be a good 3 months before I even get an appointment to receive the drug. So a 6 month course + 3 month wait, means another 9 months of acne. For God's sake I'll almost be 24 by then!

Lately I just can't think about anything but my skin condition. It's just got so much worse lately: horrible, huge red cysts and spots all over my forehead, and along my chin and jawline. I have this dream of just being able to go away and live as a recluse in the countryside until this all passes.

I can't keep doing this any longer. It's just getting too much.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:35 am

I really do relate to this a whole lot. You're not alone!

I'm 20 and still dealing with acne, and have been since I was 12 or 13. I know what you mean about uni in relation to starting to apply for professional jobs. I'm in my last semester of my bachelors degree and will be starting my placement / practical work with an organisation in a few weeks. I'm really dreading it because of my acne. I feel like I won't be taken seriously. I also hope to go on to a masters degree but again I feel 'out of place' because of my acne.

I've definitely let acne hold me back from things in life. I've always been more of a quiet person but acne made it 'worse' and I became less confident and more anxious - particularly about my skin. I'm 20 and haven't had a relationship - which makes me feel like a failure.

Anyway the key thing there is that I've LET acne hold me back. It's a lot easier said than done, I know, but if you can try to change your set of mind, it can help. Just having a positive attitude when you can (I know I really can't manage that all the time hah) and trying to shift your focus away from your acne to other things about you - like certain skills or talents you have or hobbies or different things you want to do or achieve in life etc...

All you can do is try and then try again if you have to.

Hang in there! I hope you find what works for you soon. Also, remember - there is so much more to you, and all of us, than our skin!

I don't know if any of that's any help but maybe there's some 'comfort' in knowing you're really not alone in this. comfort.gif

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:36 am

Hey mate, I am in a very similar position, its kind of weird how similar actually- especially with looking for work for professional graduate jobs... It sucks hey, its like all your attention is wasted on your skin and not important priorities. I feel kind of left behind compared to my friends when it comes to job hunting... and its because its because I'm pre occupied with my skin, and its so competitive that a little thing like your skin can be a huge hurdle. Anyways I feel what you are going through and all you can do is stay positive (as hard and annoying as that sounds), try your best to get accutane asap, there has to be faster ways... One of the best things i do to stay positive is too think about an older version of myself looking back on these things and realising that I have made the most of my deck of cards and its not important, you are who you are.

All the best :)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/02/2013 1:01 pm

I too can completely relate. Im 21 and have already been on accutane and my acne returned. Now what??? It sucks. Anyway I wish you the best of luck!. Any 9 months is nothing if it clears your skin for good.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 07/02/2013 1:52 pm

I'm 38 and still struggle with the skin problems. I totally understand about how it holds you back. Even though my acne is minor now I have some moderate acne scars that to me look severe. So they will last forever, likely. Just remember if you take Accutane you could scar more. I didn't take it so can't say it cause my scarring, but have read of others that did get scarring with it. Scars are so much more permanent than acne. I think hormones play a big role in acne. I don't know all that you've tried but maybe research into it. And try to deal with stress in a healthy way. I don't stress so much anymore because I know it doesn't help any.

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:52 pm

I'm 20 and have been dealing with bad cystic acne since age 13. I've been on Accutane (age 16), and am on Bactrim until further notice. It is emotionally draining. It's physically hard, too, and it hurts. Honestly, telling you to be patient isn't going to help, but know it's worth it. Know that you're being proactive about the problem and that it's not your fault. Know that acne doesn't define who you are, and most importantly, know that acne shouldn't define how you feel. That last one is hard, but it's the most important.

Acne shouldn't define how you feel. Don't let it define how you feel.

Don't let it keep bringing you down. It feels hopeless now, but it's not a hopeless situation. Hang in there.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/04/2013 6:19 pm

It's easier said than done, but don't let your acne hold you back. When you are old you will regret it. Also, by being anti-social you are only making things worse for yourself. Go out, have fun, and pretend you don't have acne. I have done this lots of times, and have avoided mirrors to improve my mood. If you are depressed, the acne seems worse. Seriously, go have some fun, get some sun and be happy. If you keep doing this consistently you will see an improvement in your acne, I guarantee that.

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 07/05/2013 10:57 am

I know it sucks, believe me.

"Hopeless", I guess, for you, this word can sum up your situation. But, even if it's hard, don't let acne dictate what to do or not.

Go out, have fun, and pretend you don't have acne. I have done this lots of times, and have avoided mirrors to improve my mood. If you are depressed, the acne seems worse.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/07/2013 12:06 pm

Hey guys,

Lately I feel like I've hit rock bottom with the emotional side of acne. I'm just so, so, unbelievably sick of it. I'm almost 23 years old and I'm still battling this horrible illness and, right now, aside from a particularly rough patch in late 2011, it's the worst it's ever been. Why on earth do I still have acne at this age?! I've always took great care of my skin, even before acne first developed (for me, it was around age 19... I know, right) I always took great care of my skin because I didn't want to risk getting this horrible illness.

Acne has completely stolen the last few years away from me - my time at university was almost entirely ruined because of acne. They say it's the best time of your life, but I spent most of it just holed up in my room, not wanting to go out and let people see me while I looked like this. Here I am now, applying for professional graduate jobs and going on interviews, still with a face full of spots. It's so disheartening walking into an interview waiting room and feeling like you like a 13 year old in their Dad's suit. Why can't I just be done with this already?

I'm so sick of acne dictating what I do and don't do. I want to be able to go on weekends away with friends, I want to be able to go out and drink, I want to be able to get up really early and not be afraid of what I look like. Every time I see somebody just casually glance in the mirror to check out their appearance, I can't even begin to describe the jealousy I feel. To be able to just look in the mirror! Without having to worry about who - what - is going to be starting back! That must be incredible.

I've wasted so much money over the years on useless, useless treatments which simply don't work. Despite years of being scared of going on it, now is the time for Accutane. Unfortunately because of NHS waiting lists, it'll be a good 3 months before I even get an appointment to receive the drug. So a 6 month course + 3 month wait, means another 9 months of acne. For God's sake I'll almost be 24 by then!

Lately I just can't think about anything but my skin condition. It's just got so much worse lately: horrible, huge red cysts and spots all over my forehead, and along my chin and jawline. I have this dream of just being able to go away and live as a recluse in the countryside until this all passes.

I can't keep doing this any longer. It's just getting too much.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been through periods of relatively clear skin where I'm incredibly motivated and feel like the world is my oyster. However, I've been through periods of terrible skin where I'm completely socially disabled. Not even socially... just, disabled in general. No motivation, I fall behind on tasks and projects. All I want to do is hide and wait for it to pass.

We'll get through this man, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Accutane DOES work for many people! Perhaps this forum is a misrepresentation of how successful it is, because people who've been cured of acne by accutane probably won't be hanging around on an acne forum. I'm actually considering going on it myself if my breakouts don't improve within the month. Screw the side effects, I just want to kill this thing that's keeping me from living my life.