Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bin2213

Usage Of 10% Benzyl Peroxide

Hi,

i have been afflicted by body and chest acne for around 2-3 years now, though the condition is not that serious (moderate), i have been unable to fully clear out the acne. Just thinking is it ok if i were to use the 10% BP instead of the 2.5% normally used? What are the side effects on using a higher conc since its the body rather than the face? Cheers~

10% BP will probably dry the heck out of your skin for starters. You might have a fungal condition, not a bacterial one, and that could be why the BP doesn't clear it. Consider trying an antifungal topical like ketoconazole to see if it eliminates the problem or have a derm do a biopsy to establish with certainty if the problem is bacterial or fungal.

Are you talking about 10% cream or wash? the 10% cream that you keep on will definitely be too strong that it'll just dry your skin out. However, 10% benzoyl peroxide washes or bars should be fine because you wash it off after a few minutes. You could always try those.

I recently started using Quinoderm 10% on my chest instead of my usual acne.org 2.5% BP without noticing any overdrying effects. I wouldn't use it on my face though.

The only way to know if it is too drying for you is to give it a go. You could always try 5% first & see how that goes.

10% will exacerbate the problem of acne by drying out your skin, irritating and causing inflammation. The existing acne may dry out and go away, but the problem will return with a vengeance-in all the surrounding areas as well.