Notifications
Clear all

Don't You Hate It When...(Pet Peeve)

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/01/2013 9:42 pm

When some people are like "oh, with makeup, less is more! Foundation looks so powdery and fake, women look prettier with less makeup on" etc etc. You know what I mean.

I hate it when people say this to me because it's just like, have you ever considered how I feel? I'm insecure about my skin so I use some concealer and foundation...it makes me feel better about myself and makes me think LESS about my skin when I'm out in public. And that's a great thing. If I had flawless skin, I probably wouldn't use foundation, but I don't.

I do go out in public without makeup sometimes, but never at school. I'm just too insecure about my bare skin - even when I'm clear, I still usually have a few dark spots and dark circles under my eyes.

It's just always uncomfortable when people tell me I don't need foundation or something when I'm just like..."Actually, I kind of do."

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 07/01/2013 11:25 pm

God, I totally, totally, totally hate that too!! Especially when my acne was really bad, I constantly had people, particularly friends, tell me almost everyday that I needed to wear less makeup because I looked powdery and fake. Of course, they all had great skin. They didn't even stop to think how I might feel, why I even wore it in the first place! My skin sucked, it still does, and it makes me feel better to wear makeup. I think a gazillion times less about my skin when I wear it. And I hate the whole "less is more" thing. Maybe I wouldn't wear makeup if everyone wasn't expecting me to look perfect 24/7. It's like, you're supposed to be super duper gorgeous and beautiful and perfect, but it CANNOT, absolutely NOT be "fake." God forbid you get some help! No, you must be absolutely stunning AND natural. Well, that's too bad for me, because I look like the ugliest toad without makeup on. UGH. I'm tired of people constantly policing my body and trying to morph me into this perfect little Barbie doll I'll never be just because that's the society ideal. It really pisses me off. I'm insecure, I wear a lot of makeup, and no, it doesn't make my skin worse, so back the f*ck off judgmental, ignorant @ssholes!!! angry.pngangry.pngbrow.gifbrow.gifcensored.gif

(Can you tell I've had a bad day? lol)

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/02/2013 2:26 am

Well i don't know much on this since i'm a guy.But yes if i were a woman and had somebody commented on my makeup and skin,i'd sure feel uncomfortable.It's nobody's business but your's.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:17 am

God, I totally, totally, totally hate that too!! Especially when my acne was really bad, I constantly had people, particularly friends, tell me almost everyday that I needed to wear less makeup because I looked powdery and fake. Of course, they all had great skin. They didn't even stop to think how I might feel, why I even wore it in the first place! My skin sucked, it still does, and it makes me feel better to wear makeup. I think a gazillion times less about my skin when I wear it. And I hate the whole "less is more" thing. Maybe I wouldn't wear makeup if everyone wasn't expecting me to look perfect 24/7. It's like, you're supposed to be super duper gorgeous and beautiful and perfect, but it CANNOT, absolutely NOT be "fake." God forbid you get some help! No, you must be absolutely stunning AND natural. Well, that's too bad for me, because I look like the ugliest toad without makeup on. UGH. I'm tired of people constantly policing my body and trying to morph me into this perfect little Barbie doll I'll never be just because that's the society ideal. It really pisses me off. I'm insecure, I wear a lot of makeup, and no, it doesn't make my skin worse, so back the f*ck off judgmental, ignorant @ssholes!!! angry.pngangry.pngbrow.gifbrow.gifcensored.gif

(Can you tell I've had a bad day? lol)

I know, I hate the double standard that society puts on us - be beautiful, but don't be fake. And I love how a lot of guys talk about how they prefer 'natural' girls who don't wear any make up, when ALL of their favorite movie/TV stars are in full makeup 90% of the time. :P

I try to make my make up look as natural as possible but I still prefer to wear it cause it makes me feel comfortable. I just hate how people want to shame women for that just because they're trying to enhance their appearance. I mean god, it's not like it's plastic surgery or something.

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 07/09/2013 6:09 pm

The worst, the worst. I just can't stand pointless questions like: Are you wearing foundation? Yes.Yes I am. Now can we all move on with our lives that you've been enlightened.

Uh, and one of my friends made a remark about one day when I hadn't blended my foundation into my jaw line properly. I was like darling, if you had to wear a full face of makeup everyday, I'm certain you wouldn't nail the look everyday.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 07/10/2013 1:07 pm

I have very moderate acne but so annoying and get rosacea! Anyways this happened all the time at high school- because of my rosacea someone i know would say your always sunburnt- why dont you use sunscreen yaddi yaddi blah etc. In my head i was like "yeah no shit my face is red, i inherited rosacea, and i run track and cross country so im outside everyday while you sit on your ass" wow im mean. Or another time i was talking about how i have to go to see my derm because of something- and she responded "havnt you tried all natural organic products" - I wish they knew im have horrible allergies to everything that grows on earth besides potatoes. eerggggg

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 07/10/2013 5:37 pm

I completely agree with all of you. In the last few years the whole world population seems to be against girls wearing makeup, you hear it everywhere, and it's quite annoying. It'd be wonderful to have beautiful skin without makeup but not everyone's as lucky. People comment as if we all just adore putting foundation on our skin...personally I absolutely hate it. I would never get close to foundation if I had great skin, after so many years it just disgusts me...but then again I have no idea what i'd do without it.

MemberMember
(@mm-brian)

Posted : 08/08/2013 6:36 pm

I know exactly how you all feel.

Another thing? The girls who post pictures of themselves make up free and emphasise the fact they're not wearing any...what do they want, a medal? Or obviously for someone to say "Ooh wow, omg you're soo pretty even with no make up!!"

And then they act all high and mighty like they're better than you because they're not "fake" and only spend 10 mins getting ready in the morning. Get over it.

Just to clarify, it's not that I hate girls who don't wear make up etc...you can do whatever you want just don't act like you're better than me.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/09/2013 2:51 pm

I feel like putting make up on makes me more myself than not putting make up on. I do not consider acne or red marks as part of myself, so covering it up allows others to see the real me, you know? (though make up doesn't hide the bumps or the scars, but you get the point). I'm not hiding myself or being fake; I'm showing who I truly am.

That's how I see it, at least.

MemberMember
(@unicornsareokay)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:25 pm

I feel like putting make up on makes me more myself than not putting make up on. I do not consider acne or red marks as part of myself, so covering it up allows others to see the real me, you know? (though make up doesn't hide the bumps or the scars, but you get the point). I'm not hiding myself or being fake; I'm showing who I truly am.

I love this concept! I use too feel the same but then I had some not so friendly friends comment on my powdery complexion I started worrying more about my face and acne and just it got soooooo much worse as I was trying too find solutions too my complexion. I figured out how too work with my skin so I keep inflammation too a minimum but my skin cannot seem too exfoliate my pores are a clogged mess! Haha well I've gotten a prescription for Atralin wish me luck with results. (:

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/10/2013 12:48 pm

I love this concept! I use too feel the same but then I had some not so friendly friends comment on my powdery complexion I started worrying more about my face and acne and just it got soooooo much worse as I was trying too find solutions too my complexion. I figured out how too work with my skin so I keep inflammation too a minimum but my skin cannot seem too exfoliate my pores are a clogged mess! Haha well I've gotten a prescription for Atralin wish me luck with results. (:

I hear ya. Sometimes (Who am i kidding? A lot of times.) us acne sufferers panic over our skin and then end up making it worse by trying all these different things out of desperation. Good thing you found something that works. Atralin ... that's a retinoid right? Hopefully it will work! Good luck. :) I took differin (also a retinoid), benzaclin and minocycline together years ago and it cleared me right up. But it was so expensive, haha.

MemberMember
(@unicornsareokay)

Posted : 08/10/2013 11:16 pm

Yeah its the cheapest one i could pay for haha~ I've used the gel only a couple times so far trying ween my skin onto it so I can cause the least amount of irritation and I have a question is it possible for my skin too actually like the retnoid like it makes my cheeks pink for only 30 min or so and then If I get up too pee at night (tmi? xD)and look in the mirror my skin looks immensely better and the dry skin isn't a big problem and I already have dry skin too begin with but jojoba oil completely eliminates that problem so is this possible?

MemberMember
(@mg02)

Posted : 09/07/2013 10:54 am

Ah, I have that pet peeve too! xc

I hate it when guys are like, "I don't get why girls wear makeup; it's not even attractive."

Well, have you ever thought that maybe -just maybe- we're not doing it for you? That perhaps wearing makeup is our way to feel secure and beautiful in our own skin? Sure, you might not like it, but -as frank as this might be- it's not about what you think nor does it directly concern you. It's about how we feel about ourselves. It not only boosts our self-confidence, but it also makes us happier and -for us with acne- feel less like an outcast. :)

OR

"I don't like girls who wear makeup; I like girls who are all natural."

This always comes from the guys who never even date the girls who go "all natural". Hypocritical much? I mean, they date girls who wear natural makeup (which is good for them, I love natural makeup, but), not girls who don't wear makeup- there is a difference. Because to be honest, they're not even attracted to the girls who don't wear makeup. So I don't understand why guys would say that if most of them actually do care about how "hot" a girl is. But no, God forbid you get your "looks" from wearing makeup! I guess guys just expect you to be born with it and not receive any help from cosmetics.

And again, these guys don't understand that not all girls who wear makeup are fishing for boys' attention. We just want to feel secure in our own skin, and makeup is our way of getting there. :)

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/07/2013 1:40 pm

Ah, I have that pet peeve too! xc

I hate it when guys are like, "I don't get why girls wear makeup; it's not even attractive."

Well, have you ever thought that maybe -just maybe- we're not doing it for you? That perhaps wearing makeup is our way to feel secure and beautiful in our own skin? Sure, you might not like it, but -as frank as this might be- it's not about what you think nor does it directly concern you. It's about how we feel about ourselves. It not only boosts our self-confidence, but it also makes us happier and -for us with acne- feel less like an outcast. smile.png

OR

"I don't like girls who wear makeup; I like girls who are all natural."

This always comes from the guys who never even date the girls who go "all natural". Hypocritical much? I mean, they date girls who wear natural makeup (which is good for them, I love natural makeup, but), not girls who don't wear makeup- there is a difference. Because to be honest, they're not even attracted to the girls who don't wear makeup. So I don't understand why guys would say that if most of them actually do care about how "hot" a girl is. But no, God forbid you get your "looks" from wearing makeup! I guess guys just expect you to be born with it and not receive any help from cosmetics.

And again, these guys don't understand that not all girls who wear makeup are fishing for boys' attention. We just want to feel secure in our own skin, and makeup is our way of getting there. smile.png

Amen!

I could not have said it any better.

But do any of you wonder what it would have been like if you never wore makeup? I always do. I think I would have turned out to be a lot more confident bare-faced, and probably would have struggled less with bacterial acne at least. I have friends who have had acne worse than me (but not hyperpigmentation or scarring) and were brave enough to bare it all. I'm extremely envious. Because now when I look in the mirror after washing my face.. I can't stand the person looking back at me. :\

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/07/2013 4:32 pm

I had a student who looked at me and asked "How long have you been wearing makeup?" (As if she needed to know...) And I responded, "Oh, I don't know...about 5 years..." And she said, "Oh, I can tell you've been wearing it for a long time because you have little bumps and I can see your pores. You should come in without any makeup on..." As if I would ever do that.

I had no idea how to respond. It's hard being a 23-year-old high school teacher with acne. It's even harder when some kids aren't really taught proper manners. Sheesh.

MemberMember
(@faceandlms)

Posted : 09/07/2013 10:31 pm

When some people are like "oh, with makeup, less is more! Foundation looks so powdery and fake, women look prettier with less makeup on" etc etc. You know what I mean.

I hate it when people say this to me because it's just like, have you ever considered how I feel? I'm insecure about my skin so I use some concealer and foundation...it makes me feel better about myself and makes me think LESS about my skin when I'm out in public. And that's a great thing. If I had flawless skin, I probably wouldn't use foundation, but I don't.

I do go out in public without makeup sometimes, but never at school. I'm just too insecure about my bare skin - even when I'm clear, I still usually have a few dark spots and dark circles under my eyes.

It's just always uncomfortable when people tell me I don't need foundation or something when I'm just like..."Actually, I kind of do."

As a guy who wears bbcream (and a touch of zinc powder) I totally understand where you're coming from. My blood boils when guys say they "like their women natural"

It's also a shame that women say they prefer men to be "manly and rugged" and also say they'd be "creeped out" by a guy who wears makeup to cover his flaws.

Most of these idiots have never had to put up with redness, oilyness, flushing and all have perfect skin.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 09/07/2013 10:44 pm

The worst is when you get it from family members who see you day in day out and know about your acne problems and the insecurity that comes along with it but STILL mention something. My mom's finally stopped bringing it up unless my skin looks particularly good/bad, but sometimes my extended family will make comments like "why are you still wearing so much makeup" when it's like, hello you've known about my acne problem for how long now??? And every time I give them the same response and that I'm working on getting clear skin but what's worse then is they go, "have you tried _____"?? I mean I get that they're trying to help but 99% of the time they suggest over the counter products that I've obviously tried before when I was 15 or something.

-________-

MemberMember
(@itslisa)

Posted : 09/07/2013 11:40 pm

Though I am a very insecure person; I go to school everyday with completely no makeup with my flawed skin. Throughout my years in high school, I have learned that school is not about impressing people and trying so much to look good..it's where you learn. Besides, I do not like wearing makeup because later on in the day my face feels gross.

MemberMember
(@mg02)

Posted : 09/14/2013 4:52 pm

Amen!

I could not have said it any better.

But do any of you wonder what it would have been like if you never wore makeup? I always do. I think I would have turned out to be a lot more confident bare-faced, and probably would have struggled less with bacterial acne at least. I have friends who have had acne worse than me (but not hyperpigmentation or scarring) and were brave enough to bare it all. I'm extremely envious. Because now when I look in the mirror after washing my face.. I can't stand the person looking back at me. :\

Well I rarely wear makeup; only on special occasions (Birthdays, parties, etc.), so I am very adapted to going bare-faced everyday- even with my acne. The only time I feel insecure about my acne is when one of those stupid acne commercials air on TV at our school -I am the only one with acne in my class and I can feel eyes on me whenever a silly ProActive commercial comes on-, so I understand how the people who wear heavy makeup to hide their blemishes feel. sad.png

As for your insecurity of taking your make up off, I'm afraid to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way. Makeup is meant to be a beauty enhancer- not a mask. You shouldn't feel so different without it, or have to hide behind makeup to love yourself. Your skin -whether you love it or not- is you; those beauty products you buy at the store are not.

They key to being comfortable in your own skin is believing you are beautiful. With or without makeup, with or without acne. It's being secure in who you are and the way you look. You're limited edition- one of a kind; there's nobody else like you. You can either be ashamed or flaunt it. ;)

Though I am a very insecure person; I go to school everyday with completely no makeup with my flawed skin. Throughout my years in high school, I have learned that school is not about impressing people and trying so much to look good..it's where you learn. Besides, I do not like wearing makeup because later on in the day my face feels gross.

I have to agree with you 100% there. A lot of people loose the idea of what school is really about; they think it is more social than academic. This is not true. It's important to remember how valuable education is. Who's "hot" and who's got the "cutest clothes" right now won't matter ten years down the road, will it? People change, the "cool" kids right now might be the ones who's futures are the dimmest. You go to school to learn and prepare for the future, not to become Prom Queen. If drama happens, let it go. Like I said earlier, it won't matter ten years from now.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/18/2013 9:27 pm

I hear men say this all the time, then I ask them who they think is "naturally" pretty, and many of them have moderate to heavy makeup on.

No offense men, but most of your gender don't know makeup when they see it. comfort.gif

I mean come on. This is Kim Kardashian. She still has foundation on to even our her skin tone in this picture, but no eyeliner, no mascara, and no contouring.

kim-kardashian-no-make-up.jpg

Kim Kardashian with full makeup plus fake eyelashes:

Kim-Kardashian-with-and-without-makeup.j

She looks like a completely different person.

I think when many people think of "makeup" they think of blue glittery eyeshadow or the Goth girl. They don't realize how much makeup most women wear every day, even those without acne. I don't know many women who leave the house without at least a tinted moisturizer, eyeliner, and mascara. That right there is a full painted face.

Just ignore these kind of comments. They're pretty ignorant and not true to reality. Reality is that people like pretty. And you know what, skillfully applied makeup makes EVERYBODY prettier. It's okay if you feel better with some makeup on. Judging on society, most women do exactly the same thing.