Notifications
Clear all

I Am Angry! What Causes Pimples On The Lip Line?

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 07/01/2013 6:15 pm

I keep getting painful pimples that form around my mouth and right on the lip line. I uses sensodyne pronamel toothpaste, which doesn't contain SLS or any other comedogenic ingredients, and I don't get oil food around my lips. I can't figure this out.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/01/2013 6:36 pm

Hey! I recently started getting these too and have been wondering what they are caused by.

What are yours like? Mine are kinda small, always start off as red marks, but gradually sprout heads, usually the same day or the next. Lately they haven't been painful, just kinda irritated / tingly feeling (when they are coming to heads... after that you can't really feel them). I know it's not herpes because a) it's always on the lipline, b) it comes to a pus-filled head and c) they are not in clusters.

Do you use any products that come in contact with that area? Cleansers, BP, moisturizers? Makeup of any kind? Most products tell you to avoid the lip, I think that includes the lipline.

I have maybe seven active / semi active on my upper lipline right now, and I have to say, it's annoying as HELL. You can't hide them, and it seems that anything you put on them irritates them even more. I also have one on my lower lipline. Recently I made the decision to avoid the lipline with all products... it hasn't been that long since I made the change though (concealer since Wednesday, BP / SA moisturizer since Friday). I got maybe two new ones today, but I don't know how long they've been waiting to come out. Basically right now I'm going to just stop all the newfangled crap, go back to doing what I was doing before I got these annoying little shits, and hopefully they will subside. If not, I'll have to see my derm, but it takes forever to get an appointment.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 07/01/2013 10:23 pm

That's EXACTLY what I have. I'm going to start applying tea tree oil around my lips as I've heard it helps tremendously.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/02/2013 5:26 am

I honestly get these too and they are so god damn frustrating!

For me I think it could be a hormonal thing since I get more around that time of the month but ALSO I suck my thumb (a habit which I have not been able to break!) and I think I actually drool when Im sleeping lol, so I always wonder if perhaps that is why I get them.

It could possibly be any creams/lip balms you put on your lips too. But I switched my toothpaste to a non-fluoride one and actually found that it made not a single difference to them. I apply tea tree oil neat onto that area, it can be unpleasant though if you end up tasting it! But it does work.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 07/02/2013 2:13 pm

I honestly get these too and they are so god damn frustrating!

For me I think it could be a hormonal thing since I get more around that time of the month but ALSO I suck my thumb (a habit which I have not been able to break!) and I think I actually drool when Im sleeping lol, so I always wonder if perhaps that is why I get them.

It could possibly be any creams/lip balms you put on your lips too. But I switched my toothpaste to a non-fluoride one and actually found that it made not a single difference to them. I apply tea tree oil neat onto that area, it can be unpleasant though if you end up tasting it! But it does work.

I've heard acne around the mouth/chin area is hormonal.

I tend to get them when I engage in sexual activity (I'm a guy).

But I just noticed something....I have an inhaler for asthma and lately I've been taking it more than usual. After looking into the medicine more, I found that it has some steroids. Ouch! Steroids are probably the worst thing for acne. I'm done using it unless I absolutely need it (like I can't breathe at all).

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:46 pm

I have these, too. I always have, and I'm not sure why. They can swell up sometimes and look like a gross cold sore, even though it's not. They're super painful when I get them, but I haven't found anything that works other than to just put spot treatment right away when they show up and just try to speed up the clearing process.

MemberMember
(@olliepie)

Posted : 04/03/2014 4:02 am

Lol... I thought i was the only one.

They're really annoying for real. Does anyone know where to look for the tea tree oil?

MemberMember
(@lit549)

Posted : 12/29/2014 10:56 pm

I know this is an old post but what was the outcome?I'm having the same problem!

MemberMember
(@xxigbxx)

Posted : 04/09/2015 12:11 am

Try switching to a toothpaste that doesn't contain flouride. Trust me I had about ten painfull pimple that started out small then formed heads right above my lip. I tried using baking soda for toothpaste just to see if that was the problem and in about a week they all cleared up now I'm just left with a couple marks that are fading pretty quick. Baking soda has a pretty gross taste but it works but now I have switched to a special toothpaste that doesn't contain flouride and I'm all clear and it feels so good. Give it a try for a couple of days and see if you get any new ones.

MemberMember
(@michaelg025)

Posted : 08/15/2017 8:54 pm

I know this is an old post, but did anyone find a solution?

MemberMember
(@vml46901)

Posted : 08/29/2017 9:36 am

my whole face use to be a breeding ground for pimples. but the ones around your lip are THE MOST EMBARRASSING!
My boyfriend use to wear carmex... and then would come and kiss me on my forehead my cheeks and of course my mouth. that undoubtedly led me to believe the carmex was clogging more pores.
two occasions we broke up for more than two month each. and I would notice how clear my skin would get. at first i thought my relationship stress was just causing them lbs. but our lip line is extremely sensitive. we ourselves use harsh balms that clog our pores.
lip gloss is another bad one. cheap lipsticks even. just be safe with what you use, on that sensitive lip line, and keep its clean. Use an astringent after washing and before moisturizing to help close pores.

MemberMember
(@moni1928)

Posted : 08/24/2018 8:57 pm

Ive just come across this topic and at age 51, Im just now getting a pimple or
two around my lip line and its annoying as hell!!! They dont start off necessarily big but Im unfortunately a picker, I cant help it, Im truly obsessed and thankfully I dont scar from my actions. The bad thing, I pick at them until theyre gone and as you know, until theres nothing in them or until theyre completely flat... I just dont understand why theyre appearing now. I had a hysterectomy, 11yrs ago and I took myself off of my hormone medication on my own, 6-9 months ago. I havent had any side effects, I mean Im finally over the hot flashes at night and Im hoping this isnt an effect from it. Id hate to have to go back on the medicationjust for this. Suggestions are welcome

MemberMember
(@tkc)

Posted : 06/24/2019 10:49 pm

On 4/3/2014 at 5:02 AM, OlliePie said:

Lol... I thought i was the only one.

They're really annoying for real. Does anyone know where to look for the tea tree oil?

I sell Doterra Oils and they have a tea tree oil. you can go on line and Walmart has oils also (a lot more inexpensive) I have the same problem and I use the tea tree oil around my mouth and also the breakouts I just started getting 2 weeks ago. Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/25/2019 2:03 am

Moni and TKC

These "pimples" could be caused by fungus. Have you taken antibiotics ?

Fungal pimples/acne are caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds. They can be fixed by applying topical antifungal cream - no prescription needed. Get back to me for further information, if you wish.