Notifications
Clear all

Feeling Down Because My Acne Is Back

MemberMember
(@faerie87)

Posted : 07/01/2013 3:11 pm

I have been back on Duac for almost a year, but in the last three weeks its slowly stopped working and my skin is like it was before treatment. I get huge pimples (or cysts?) on my cheeks, they are so big and swollen all around, they're so obvious even make-up doesn't do much. I am 25 and turning 26 later this year, so I really don't think I should be getting acne anymore. Is it possibly hormone related? My skin is just so unbelievably oily, I can't do much with it tbh. I don't know if I can be bothered going to the doctor, it takes an age to get an appointment and they often fob me off to the nurse, who never seems to know what she is doing (she once misdiagnosed a fungal nail infection on my fingernail, saying it was nothing, so I left it and it spread to another nail. she didn't know what to do!) I suppose I could try following the regime on this website, as I really have nothing left to lose now that I have tried every acne prescription product out there (according to my doctor, I've had them all over the years). I was offered Roaccutane, but I've heard too many horror stories, some of which are posted on here!

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/01/2013 6:25 pm

Don't be discouraged!! Yikes, I've read a lot of nasty things about Accutane! It's the last resort, when you really have tried a lot of things that don't work. I've always had oily skin, too. I hope it will go away ... :/ Have you tried a diet approach? Some people are more prone to break out when consuming certain foods!

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 07/01/2013 11:15 pm

I have been back on Duac for almost a year, but in the last three weeks its slowly stopped working and my skin is like it was before treatment. I get huge pimples (or cysts?) on my cheeks, they are so big and swollen all around, they're so obvious even make-up doesn't do much. I am 25 and turning 26 later this year, so I really don't think I should be getting acne anymore. Is it possibly hormone related? My skin is just so unbelievably oily, I can't do much with it tbh. I don't know if I can be bothered going to the doctor, it takes an age to get an appointment and they often fob me off to the nurse, who never seems to know what she is doing (she once misdiagnosed a fungal nail infection on my fingernail, saying it was nothing, so I left it and it spread to another nail. she didn't know what to do!) I suppose I could try following the regime on this website, as I really have nothing left to lose now that I have tried every acne prescription product out there (according to my doctor, I've had them all over the years). I was offered Roaccutane, but I've heard too many horror stories, some of which are posted on here!

Some really stubborn cases of acne can persist throughought a life time, there is no age limit. Though most people do grow out of it, it can remain treatment resistant for quite a few unlucky people. And all acne is hormonal, but that doesn't mean "imbalance". It is essentially a hormonal disease.

Don't be discouraged!! Yikes, I've read a lot of nasty things about Accutane! It's the last resort, when you really have tried a lot of things that don't work. I've always had oily skin, too. I hope it will go away ... :/ Have you tried a diet approach? Some people are more prone to break out when consuming certain foods!

Why is there always the assumption that all people with acne eat an unhealthy diet?

And a particular "food allergy" being responsible for years of severe ongoing acne is very unlikely. Food allergies encourage inflammation, they do not directly cause acne at all, they would only be a small "aggravator" if anything.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/01/2013 11:41 pm

Some really stubborn cases of acne can persist throughought a life time, there is no age limit. Though most people do grow out of it, it can remain treatment resistant for quite a few unlucky people. And all acne is hormonal, but that doesn't mean "imbalance". It is essentially a hormonal disease.

>>>>Don't be discouraged!! Yikes, I've read a lot of nasty things about Accutane! It's the last resort, when you really have tried a lot of things that don't work. I've always had oily skin, too. I hope it will go away ... :/ Have you tried a diet approach? Some people are more prone to break out when consuming certain foods!

Why is there always the assumption that all people with acne eat an unhealthy diet?

And a particular "food allergy" being responsible years of severe ongoing acne is very unlikely. Food allergies encourage inflammation, they do not directly cause acne at all, they would only be a small "aggravator" if anything.

If you read again what I wrote, I never assumed she had an unhealthy diet...just trying to help... o.o

MemberMember
(@faerie87)

Posted : 07/04/2013 8:36 pm

Thanks.

I guess I just need to go to my doctor. My skin is starting to clear a little, but it might just be how it is when I have no treatment, lots of breakouts then it clears up a bit. It's been a while and I'd kind of got used to having clearer skin, although still quite oily. Even Duac couldn't combat that problem! I think some people just always naturally have oily skin, my dad is Arab and he has oily skin, although no breakouts. Maybe I get it from him, who knows.