My (Loooong) Story ...

Notifications
Clear all

My (Loooong) Story And Azelaic Acid For Severe Oily Skin

MemberMember
(@out-of-step)

Posted : 06/30/2013 12:26 pm

Hello everyone! I first registered here back in 2008 -- this is a new username, I forgot my old one and I'd only posted with it a few times. I lurk here several times a year to see if anyone has found a cure for their oily skin issues.

My moderate-to-severe acne, severe oily skin, and excessive facial sweating issues started at the age of 17 and a half. Before then my skin was perfect in every way, so because my only sibling had been experiencing acne since the age of 15 I was convinced I had dodged the bullet. You could imagine how this combination of appearance-related issues that emerged so suddenly impacted me emotionally, as I'm sure acne and oily skin issues have impacted all of you here.

I didn't have real issues with oily skin until I started taking Tazorac for my acne in Spring 2007, turning my face into an embarrassing oil slick. I don't think I was using the medication properly back then and I was still popping my pimples and a few cysts, leading to some scarring. With the help of the Aveeno Clear Complexion cleanser, Duac gel, and Differin 0.1% gel regimen I started in July 2007, my face thankfully cleared up completely by late December. My oily skin issues, however, persisted and worsened until my oil production plateaud that summer. I stopped using moisturizer but kept using Neutrogena Dry Touch sunscreen. I've been using this regimen, with some variation (my derm substituted Duac for Acanya gel and Differin for generic Adapalene last summer), over the past six years. My acne scars have faded and I rarely get pimples, but even at the age of 23 (almost 24 now) my overly oily skin remains a problem. My skin responds very poorly to hot, humid weather -- during the summer the oil on my face becomes noticeable an hour after washing. Although it would help matters, moving to a dry, cool climate is not a feasible option for me at the moment.

Here's a list of things I've tried before aside from Duac, Differin, Tazorac, and Acanya:

Clinac BPO/Clinac OC: reduced oil production considerably and kept my skin looking relatively shine free for longer. Too bad this product was discontinued.

OC 8: Considering how well my skin responded to Clinac OC (made by the same company, apparently) I had my hopes up for this product. Unfortunately it didn't do anything to curb my greasiness.

Vitamin A Overdose: Oh, the things we'll try when we're desperate and doctors don't seem to care about our condition. In retrospect, this was probably a very bad idea. I tried taking 100,000 IU every day along with some Vitamin D3 which I was told on this forum would offset the potential side effects. I suspect it may have jumpstarted my male pattern baldness (which I've stabilized since starting Finasteride and Minoxidil) as Accutane has for other men. While on Vitamin A from late 2008 to late 2009 my oil production decreased slightly until it was tolerable during the summer. I would still get oily, though.

Jojoba Oil: Broke me out terribly and I should have trusted Bryan's opinion on this one. I'm happy for the people who find success using it, but can't understand how applying a greasy substance to your face will somehow "trick" the skin into producing less oil.

Retin A Micro 0.04%: I recently tried this for a few weeks in lieu of the Differin and found that it made my skin significantly oilier, despite scientific evidence indicating that it should control facial shine. I'm usually in favor of what clinical trials tell us about medication and don't believe the plural of anecdote is evidence, but different people react to medication differently. I stopped using this last week.

Benzoyl Peroxide/Salicylic Acid Cleansing Pads: I forgot the name of this medication but took it briefly in 2008. It didn't help the root cause of my oily skin and seriously irritated my face.

While I'm happy to have been acne-free for five years, I've become fed up with the persistent oily skin and sweating. At times these issues make it difficult for me to look attractive and feel comfortable with myself (I know, I'm vain lol tinydan.gif). So just yesterday I found on this forum and confirmed on other forums that Azelaic Acid may help with oily skin by suppressing 5 alpha reductase -- which also is one of the causes of hairloss if you have the gene for it; this enzyme is the bane of my existence lol rolleyes.gif. Finasteride only impacts Type 2, whereas Type 1 5-alpha reductase apparently causes oily skin (once again, only for those who have the genes for it). Dutasteride reduces both types of this particular enzyme so in addition to helping those with MPB it may help oily skinned people as well. My roommate happens to have rosacea and used Finacea (15% Azelaic Acid) for his condition. He let me try the gel because he stopped using it a few months ago after having a bad reaction.

I applied the gel after the Acanya and it left my skin with a matte look. My skin is very oily and tough so the additional medication didn't irritate it at all. This stuff kept the oil at bay for a bit longer than usual. Mind you, I still had to blot my face, but the oiliness seemed to have been reduced already. I applied it again at night along with the Differin (I know, this might be too much for a normal person to take), and my skin tingled a little bit after applying, but for the first time in as long as I can remember I woke up on a summer day without greasy skin. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic -- there's still a ways to go but I feel a little more comfortable about my skin and will continue to take this. Should things improve I will be sure to write about it here.

TLDR; I started having acne and oily skin issues six years ago. I cleared up my acne but my skin remains excessively oily. Yesterday I started Finacea gel and found that it may be reducing my oil production. I'll update this thread as I continue to take Finacea.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 06/30/2013 3:11 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I'm following this thread and I'm looking forward to future updates. Do you have enough Finacea to last a while?

MemberMember
(@out-of-step)

Posted : 06/30/2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, Jofo. I have two tubes of Finacea in my medicine cabinet, so I should be set for a few months.

Because I'm usually very busy with work during the week I might only have time to post here on weekends, but I'll try my best to keep everyone updated. I figure that it might be best to post once a week anyway because you know how results can fluctuate when starting a new treatment -- one day everything will be great and then the next it will be terrible before improving again. Without getting too obsessive, I wish I could find a reliable way to measure oil secretion to chart my progress -- assuming there will be progress, of course. By the way, I am basing my decision to try this medication on anecdotes I've read online as well as this abstract from a peer reviewed article, if you haven't already seen it: [removed] Interestingly enough, the results section of this abstract indicates that on average Benzoyl Peroxide actually increased sebum production substantially. Maybe I'll eventually try removing BP from my regimen.

Has anyone on this section of the board tried Finacea or any other topical containing Azelaic Acid? If so, could you tell me about your experiences with this medication? Thanks!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/30/2013 6:31 pm

Great to hear your success. I have all but resigned to just blotting my face constantly until I'm old and gray, or science finds something other than Accutane that can meaningfully curb oily skin. I have looked at azealic acid before, but kept moving because its effectiveness seems to vary significantly with the individual. Please keep us posted on how it's working, good or bad.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/30/2013 8:40 pm

And you should take note on how it affects your facial hair (if any). Finacea is used often on the scalp, as like you said it inhibits DHT through the suppression of the 5 alpha reductase enzyme. But the interesting thing is that high DHT concentrations/high sensitivity on your scalp will lead to hair LOSS; the same thing anywhere else leads to hair GROWTH.

So, in theory, inhibiting 5 alpha reductase on your face could cause your beard hair to thin. I haven't seen this ever supported on the internet through legitimate personal accounts, but if the science is right it should have this effect, albeit probably really mild. Just take a quick look over of your face now so you can compare in a week or so if you need.

The active ingredient in Finacea is azelaic acid; and this can be bought pretty easily online. From my prior research, about 1 in 5 people have a negative response to azelaic acid; it has been shown to increase redness, irritation and sensitivity in some people (I can provide the clinical studies if requested). This is what kept me from trying it before.

But you, Out of Step, are not the first person I've read about who took a form of azelaic acid and had a significant reduction in oil. Some people swear by Finacea/Azelaic Acid, and others hate it with a passion LOL. I may try it out in a few weeks when I get back from vacation and before I go back to college in the fall.

Azeliac Acid can be purchased as Finacea, Skinoren, or Azelex and is usually sold at either a 15% or 20% concentration. Try googling those names for more info on people that used it before.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:43 am

Def will be following this thread. I cant contribute much since im basically done with derms because i always ended up with more trouble. Im actually feeling a little hopeless all together. I found some things that help manage the oil, but i swear, it seems like nothing will stop these glands.

Out of step- i was on finacea and aczone a while back and it caused some terrible cystic acne about 4 days after i started it. Took almost a year for the marks left behind to go away. As cbiot knows, i tried a dozen organic products and it was bad. Bp remains to be the only thing that keeps me acne free. And if it makes oily skin worse, im screwed.

I did find things that helped. Lemon oil, aloe vera juice, glycolic night cream, aztec clay, and currently im using witch hazel again. If youre interested, i can share how i applied each one and what the pros and cons were.

Im taking saw palmetto, black cohosh, and fenugreek and drinking a shit load of spearmint tea everyday and no more pop. I see a difference luckily, but i still want it to be more effective. And i know those herbs arent really an option for dudes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@out-of-step)

Posted : 07/03/2013 8:08 pm

Hello again! Thanks for the informative and supportive replies, CBIOT13 and Oilygirl1980.

CBIOT13 -- I understand that Azelaic Acid is sold at a 20% concentration, but because the gel versions that are supposed to be better suited for oily skin are only of the 15% variety, I don't plan to change the concentration of what I'm taking just yet. I wasn't aware that Finacea or any other 5-alpha reductase inhibitors could have an effect on beard hair. Not to get too descriptive but my beard is very thick, coarse, curly, and especially prone to razor bumps. I shave with a DE safety razor, sharp blades, nice quality shaving soap, and proper technique yet still have trouble getting a very close shave without irritation, so losing some beard hair wouldn't be such a terrible side effect to me! I've been taking finasteride for 7 months with excellent results and haven't lost any beard hair since, but my eyelashes definitely got much longer. Sorry to hear that you haven't found much success in treating your oily skin issues so far. As far as future treatments go for oily skin, I'm looking forward to hearing more about CB-03-01, a topical acne and hair loss treatment. The Cosmo Pharmaceuticals site lists the following information about this drug:

CB-03-01, a molecule patented by Cosmo, is a steroidal ester, androgen antagonist derived from 11-deoxycortisone, which tightly mimics the profile of an ideal anti-androgen for topical use.

The objective is to create a product for topical application to treat acne, male pattern baldness, and seborrhoea that does not have the side effects of products currently being taken in tablet form.

An IND was granted in the US for CB-03-01 for acne in Q1 2012. Phase II dose escalating clinical trials were initiated in the US in H2 2012 and are scheduled to be completed in H1 2014.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:02 pm

The saw palmetto and the spearmint tea are doing the most good. I added the other DHT inhibitors to boost. Ditching pop was part of it as well and when I'm not lazy, I do a water binge and the next day my skin is more plump and the glow that I get seems to make me appear less oily but it's only temporary.

Next on my list to try are taking vitamin A (no mega-dosing) and acupuncture. I posted a new topic and I hope people chime in and tell me about their experiences. I know sometimes with alternative medicine, it can usually be more of a placebo type thing but I don't think that's all bad. Doesn't hurt to be positive when trying something new.

I hear ya on the bp-i honestly don't know if it's helping or hurting the oil situation. I haven't been able to get off of it long enough to see if there's a difference because my face erupts with acne when i do. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I also haven't tried peppermint eo yet. If I wasn't allergic to the lemon eo, I would def use it because that was number one. Didn't have to blot all day. I think I will be ok with the mint though. There's menthol in my cleanser and my skin loves the tingly feeling. If you use a moisturizer, give the lemon a shot. Just one drop in your hands and it spreads evenly with the lotion.

MemberMember
(@out-of-step)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:01 am

So lemon essential oil, eh? Thanks for the suggestion. I read Jofo's excellent topic where he proved that applying peppermint essential oil daily over a six-month period significantly reduced how much sebum his nose produced. I did quick google searches for peppermint oil and lemon oil and found roughly the same number of (unfortunately non-scientific) articles for each claiming that it can control oily skin when applied topically. Any idea which essential oil would be more effective in this regard? If I were to try one but avoid using moisturizer, could I mix it with a toner such as witch hazel?

Wish I could chime in about vitamin A (retinol, not beta-carotene) -- as written in my first post, though, my only experiences with it involved megadosing. I've never tried acupuncture, but for what it's worth one of my coworkers used it for her chronic back problems and successfully treated her issues after a few sessions. I have no idea if the disorders acupuncture treats are merely psychosomatic or if this method is beyond placebo and actually produces real physiological changes in patients. As far as alternative options go, I just dug up an interesting article discussing yet another treatment that could potentially help us oily folks and will be writing about it in a new topic. I haven't seen much discussion on this particular treatment on acne.org's forums, so it should be interesting.

Still continuing the Finacea with little results, but it's only been a week since I first applied it. I don't know if Azelaic Acid is supposed to kick in immediately or gradually if it works as many say it does.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:02 am

Not sure if he ever tried the lemon oil but i wonder if both would be equally effective. They are both strong and maybe peppermint would be better since i dont think the photosensitive thing happens with that one. Since you dont use an spf lotion, i would start there. And yes, i think mixing it in the cap of your witch hazel right before application would work fine. Which witch hazel are you using? I tried two kinds a couple months ago and while i thought using the less harsh one would be better, my skin prefers the plain one with the grain alcohol. I had one with rose water and it wasnt drying enough. Just a thought in case youre using one with lavender or rose water.

Glad to hear finacea doesnt cause you any acne and ill be looking for your new post!

MemberMember
(@wellsmall)

Posted : 07/11/2013 4:58 am

I'm definitely interested in hearing your results, and anything else that even helps. I've had oily skin all my life, and it's partially genetic, but it's gotten to point that it seems like I'm the only one...so thanks for posting your story and your efforts. Acne was always the real concern, I have tried everything too, mostly for acne, but also every mattifying, oil controlling, oil free moisturizer, gel and cream I could find, both over the counter and Rx.

I tried Accutane in 2011 because it was supposed to be this "miracle cure" for acne, which I thought was the problem. For a six to nine month period it was the ultimate oily skin "cure" and therefore an acne cure, it felt like a minor miracle! My hair stylist always tells me to only wash my hair every second or third day, but even my hair can't go two days, much less three, except on Accutane. The oil came back about a year ago, and six months ago the amount of oil doubled or maybe even tripled. I've tried more new products, but my skin is still oily an hour after washing it, using blot papers throughout the day and two at the end of the day still isn't enough. I didn't used to breakout very often, but the increased oil is causing more breakouts. If I plan to even go grocery shopping after work I have to go home, wash my face, and start over with my makeup before I go out in public. I've totally given up on my dermatologist, and I think we'll never see low-dose Accutane made available for long term use, which I think is the only real solution (for me anyway). Some people need a second round, but the process of taking Accutane with all the tests and checks and cross-checks, it's just such a major hassle with no real guarantee that the second dose will help any more than the first.

I'm definitely going to try the essential oils though. I read I think in another post about antiandrogens being the only other oral med, besides Accutane, that helps with oily skin...Has anyone heard anything on those? I would definitely prefer an oral med to a topical...I'm not too good with "regimens," but it just doesn't look like there's much...scientific study on the issue, it's just all acne research.

Anyway, thanks again for the post and I'll be looking forward to hearing any results, good or bad.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/12/2013 4:26 am

Out of step-did you end up posting that thing you were talking about?

Wellsmall- the herbal things im taking are making a slight difference if youre interested. I plan on adding another one to the mix. Years ago i was taking natures bounty hair skin and nails supplement, i didnt remember if it helped but i just started that again since i wasnt taking anything with vitamin a in it. Hopefully ill see some more results. The lemon eo worked great though. Give it a shot but do an allergy test first if you can. The rash i got wasnt ridiculous but noticeable enough that i had to stop. But i have insanely sensitive skin. I would say just try it on your forehead for a couple days and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 07/12/2013 11:44 am

I also have battled oily skin most of my life. Most recently I moved to Colorado (which oddly made my skin feel more oily) and tried the oil cleansing method, which gave me the worst breakout of my life. I have mostly recovered since with the help of doxy, retin a micro and extractions. But...I still feel like I get more clogged pores than I used to and always have oily skin. I was on Spiro for several months, which I felt did absolutely nothing except stop my period, but for females I have heard it can work as an amazing anti-androgen for some. I am currently using Differin, sal acid and glycolic acid (retin a made my face feel oilier, although it did purge and get rid of red marks like crazy). This keeps is reasonably oily (instead of disgusting) but I still get new clogged pores all the time. I have often wondered if over exfoliating with a retinoid, BHA and AHA could be causing clogs. Does anyone know if either of these if more effective for oily clog prone skin? I am really interested in what you found about azelaic acid. I have never tried that but am thinking of it. Keep us updated! I just started taking 1000 mg of fish oil capsules too to see if that has any effect.

MemberMember
(@out-of-step)

Posted : 07/14/2013 11:37 am

Sorry guys for taking so long to reply! It's been a very busy week as I've been working toward an important deadline at work, having to work late hours, etc.

Oilygirl1980 -- I will post the topic tonight -- a week later than I said I would :/ Thanks for encouraging me to use a spf lotion. Considering all the products I use on my face that cause UV sensitivity, I should be careful with the sun. I'm always hesitant to apply sunscreen because it makes my skin feel much greasier, but Neutrogena Dry Touch sunblock is not that terrible. Best of luck with the vitamin A and keep us posted on your progress. When I start an essential oil I plan to use it with ordinary witch hazel, not the Thayers brand, which supposedly isn't "true" witch hazel as it lacks alcohol -- pretty sure witch hazel with rose water is Thayers. It took 6 months for Jofo to notice any difference from using peppermint oil, whereas you said you saw an immediate improvement when using lemon oil. On the basis of that alone, I'll try the lemon oil first.

Wellsmall -- it's encouraging to hear that Accutane kept your oil at bay while you took it, and it's really such a shame that most dermatologists don't make low-dose isotretinoin an option. The only dermatologists I've seen have always told me that they only prescribe accutane for patients with severe acne, not merely oily skin (apparently our problems aren't considered important enough). If you read around on these boards you'll see similar success stories with low-dose isotretinoin. In many European and Asian countries doctors seem willing to make this drug available for long-term use, whereas dermatologists in the U.S. typically will avoid doing so presumably to avoid medical malpractice lawsuits. I'm very sorry that it sounds like it has been so difficult for you lately. I wouldn't know how to deal with an oily scalp on top of my oily face. All I can say is that you're not alone and we're in this together.

lifeinfaith -- how long did you take Spiro? Don't quote me on this, but I recall hearing that Spiro may take more than a few months to stop the oiliness. I find that AHA/BHA makes my skin greasy, and it really works hard on the skin -- you're already taking Differin, which is supposed to increase the rate at which you exfoliate. As you probably know, some dermatologists believe that taking a retinoid with AHA/BHA will reduce the effectiveness of the retinoid. Please see: [removed]  I'm not sure if benzoyl peroxide could hurt or help you with your oiliness, since opinions appear to be divided on that issue, but have you tried it with your differin? It's kept me clear for years. Let us know how your fish oil experiment goes. Did you move to Colorado from a state with very hot and humid weather?

Oily skin update -- can't tell if the azelaic acid is having much of an effect on my oiliness. I'm still as greasy as ever, but hey, no breakouts! I will keep trying the Finacea until I run out. I decided to wait before starting the essential oils. The main issue for me with these topical medications is that I sweat like crazy every day at work. As stated earlier my boss insists on having no A/C in a city with very hot and humid summers, so I'm afraid my constant sweating could be preventing the topicals from absorbing properly. I notice that I am less oily during the cooler, drier months here -- October through early May -- so much so that I rarely have to blot, whereas these summer days I blot nearly every hour. Could this only be attributed to the effects the heat and humidity have on my skin (heat apparently reduces the viscosity of sebum, causing it to rise to the surface of the skin more readily), or is the excessive sweating an equally important factor?

Also went to my GP and got my blood checked because he thinks I may be hyperthyroid, which would explain the heat intolerance, excessive sweating, shortness of breath, anxiety, inability to gain weight, and potentially oily skin and some of my hair loss (still have some thin spots in areas of my scalp that pattern baldness doesn't typically affect, and it's definitely not alopecia areata). I'm supposed to review my test results with my GP in five weeks, so we'll see. If anyone here experiences the symptoms I listed and hasn't gotten tested already, get your thyroid checked. Thyroid issues are apparently much more common in females than in males and can potentially lead to serious health problems if left untreated.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/14/2013 3:51 pm

Lifeinfaith- youre onto something with over exfoliating. For me personally, overdoing with harsh products makes my skin breakout. My face is happier when i use calming products. But i have sensitive skin so this might not help you at all. Im down to about once a month with the glycolic night cream because while it is like magic for scars and red marks, its very drying for about 3 days.

Having oily/sensitive/combo/allergy prone/acne prone skin is the most frustrating skin type. Cant use half the things that would benefit one aspect without aggravating another. But again, a calm face is a happier face. I have to keep it relatively simple and be super disciplined in my routine. I dont know if that helps you at all. Hopefully it does.

Still doing a ton of research on this "acid mantle" thing. Two posters, bailey and cbiot13 have really helped me a lot even though they have conflicting ideas on the matter. But whether or not its a real thing, i have definitely noticed that if i use too many products, my skin is littered with problems. Which leads me to believe that damaging my skins natural protective barrier is a BAD idea.

Outofstep-yup, it was thayers. Smelled great and so soothing but it was over-moisturizing. Tn dickinsons is my witch hazel of choice. Your spf- that might be the only neutrogena one i havent tried but i hear good things. I use their tone correcting ageless intensives. It has vitamin c in it which i suspect dries up some of the greasy qualities of the spf. I may give yours a shot when i run out of mine just to check. For us, a drop smaller than an early june pea is all you need and it covers just as well as using too much.

For me- hot humid days do not change my oily skin. BUT! Being at work does for some reason. I blot way more there than i do at home. But i have no windows or moving air. (Its a jail)

The one difference though is that you mentioned you have excessive sweating and i rarely sweat. My skin loves heat and humidity and thats when im most comfortable. Im also very underweight, no thyroid issues yet (get checked every year since the ladies in my family all have hyper issues) So i wonder if its weather related or your heat intolerance. We are all just so different in the way our skin responds.

Maybe try the clay mask i mentioned? It shrinks pores temporarily and sucks oil out amazingly well. After you conclude your experiment with the finacea, maybe give it a shot. I use that once a week only.

Bp- very conflicting reviews- for me, it keeps me acne free but its a low dose. If i dont use it, my skin is oilier much sooner. So i dont know if its helping or hurting honestly. Every time ive tried to stop using it, the acne is so bad that the oily skin is the least of my problems.

The vitamin a-so far so good. No reduction in oil yet, but my overall appearance looks healthier so thats a plus.

Oily scalp- my enemy. I hate it. Been that way my whole life. I must wash my hair when i wake up and shower. Ive tried to do every other day because people tell me it will adjust and balance out but no dice. But ive gotten used to dealing with it.

This a great thread guys. Very helpful.

MemberMember
(@pr1nc355)

Posted : 07/17/2013 8:18 am

After reading this, I'm really interested in what you did with the lemon oil and co. Can you explain how you used these to lessen the oil?

Thank you

Def will be following this thread. I cant contribute much since im basically done with derms because i always ended up with more trouble. Im actually feeling a little hopeless all together. I found some things that help manage the oil, but i swear, it seems like nothing will stop these glands.

Out of step- i was on finacea and aczone a while back and it caused some terrible cystic acne about 4 days after i started it. Took almost a year for the marks left behind to go away. As cbiot knows, i tried a dozen organic products and it was bad. Bp remains to be the only thing that keeps me acne free. And if it makes oily skin worse, im screwed.

I did find things that helped. Lemon oil, aloe vera juice, glycolic night cream, aztec clay, and currently im using witch hazel again. If youre interested, i can share how i applied each one and what the pros and cons were.

Im taking saw palmetto, black cohosh, and fenugreek and drinking a shit load of spearmint tea everyday and no more pop. I see a difference luckily, but i still want it to be more effective. And i know those herbs arent really an option for dudes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/17/2013 7:56 pm

Hi pr1nc355!

The way I used the lemon eo was this: After cleansing, toning, I would put one drop (it's very potent) on top of my tiny peas sized drop of moisturizer and just mix them well in my hands and then smooth over my entire face minus the eye area. (Which i never moisturize my eyes and eyelashes because I feel that it changes the way my mascara goes on) I didn't use it at night with my night cream moistly because I like my natural oily skin to work it's magic through out the night. Biggest thing is to use a lotion with spf. Certain essential oils can cause this photosensitivity thing and will cause skin, especially fair skin, to burn more easily and from what I read, I think it does even more damage than just a regular sunburn.

It smelled great, went on smoothly and I didn't have to blot at all which you probably can imagine is like christmas on your face!! I wish my skin wasn't sensitive otherwise I would have kept using it. I'm going to try peppermint oil like Jofo and see if I have good results. I don't think my skin is allergic to that since it's in my cleanser.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether or not certain products, oils, or toners will work for other people if the accompanying products are different from what I use. I'm just sort of rolling this around in my head, but I'm really thinking there might be something to it. Not only are all of our skin types so different even though we all have oily skin, but maybe the lemon oil worked so well for me specifically because it was in combination with the rest of my skincare line. So maybe it won't work for someone if they use a harsher cleanser than i do....I don't know. It's just something I'm thinking about lately. Feel free to share your thoughts on that and keep us posted on any results you have if you try the lemon oil. I really hope it works for you!

Also, you said "lemon oil and co"..forgive me, what does the "co" mean? Were you asking about the company? Or did I say something previously with those initials?

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 07/18/2013 3:02 pm

Out of Step -

I have been using Spiro for 3.5 months now and am actually currently tapering off of it at 25mg. I saw no effect in my oil. I would continue taking it, but it completely stopped my period and I worry about that as a side effect, even at 25 mg it still hasn't come back. That cant be good long term, and since it hasn't really had any effect on me I cant justify taking it anymore. I have read it works best for cystic type acne though, and I do not get those. I also had bloodwork done on my hormones and thyroid (normal) and I had borderline low testosterone (which normally women who go on Spiro have too much testosterone causing their acne). I think the Spiro might be lowering it to almost nothing which is probably effecting my period.

I have tried Differin with BP and it seems to work fine. They make a combo of it - Epidou. I have never noticed BP decreasing my oil though.

I moved from Texas to Colorado, so yes from a more humid climate to a really dry one, so I had expected my oil to get better, not worse.

Has anyone heard of fish oil causing more oil/breakouts? I keep finding anecdotal reports of that online.

Sorry guys for taking so long to reply! It's been a very busy week as I've been working toward an important deadline at work, having to work late hours, etc.

Oilygirl1980 -- I will post the topic tonight -- a week later than I said I would :/ Thanks for encouraging me to use a spf lotion. Considering all the products I use on my face that cause UV sensitivity, I should be careful with the sun. I'm always hesitant to apply sunscreen because it makes my skin feel much greasier, but Neutrogena Dry Touch sunblock is not that terrible. Best of luck with the vitamin A and keep us posted on your progress. When I start an essential oil I plan to use it with ordinary witch hazel, not the Thayers brand, which supposedly isn't "true" witch hazel as it lacks alcohol -- pretty sure witch hazel with rose water is Thayers. It took 6 months for Jofo to notice any difference from using peppermint oil, whereas you said you saw an immediate improvement when using lemon oil. On the basis of that alone, I'll try the lemon oil first.

Wellsmall -- it's encouraging to hear that Accutane kept your oil at bay while you took it, and it's really such a shame that most dermatologists don't make low-dose isotretinoin an option. The only dermatologists I've seen have always told me that they only prescribe accutane for patients with severe acne, not merely oily skin (apparently our problems aren't considered important enough). If you read around on these boards you'll see similar success stories with low-dose isotretinoin. In many European and Asian countries doctors seem willing to make this drug available for long-term use, whereas dermatologists in the U.S. typically will avoid doing so presumably to avoid medical malpractice lawsuits. I'm very sorry that it sounds like it has been so difficult for you lately. I wouldn't know how to deal with an oily scalp on top of my oily face. All I can say is that you're not alone and we're in this together.

lifeinfaith -- how long did you take Spiro? Don't quote me on this, but I recall hearing that Spiro may take more than a few months to stop the oiliness. I find that AHA/BHA makes my skin greasy, and it really works hard on the skin -- you're already taking Differin, which is supposed to increase the rate at which you exfoliate. As you probably know, some dermatologists believe that taking a retinoid with AHA/BHA will reduce the effectiveness of the retinoid. Please see: http://www.futurederm.com/2009/06/19/how-do-i-use-a-retinoid-and-aha-together/ I'm not sure if benzoyl peroxide could hurt or help you with your oiliness, since opinions appear to be divided on that issue, but have you tried it with your differin? It's kept me clear for years. Let us know how your fish oil experiment goes. Did you move to Colorado from a state with very hot and humid weather?

Oily skin update -- can't tell if the azelaic acid is having much of an effect on my oiliness. I'm still as greasy as ever, but hey, no breakouts! I will keep trying the Finacea until I run out. I decided to wait before starting the essential oils. The main issue for me with these topical medications is that I sweat like crazy every day at work. As stated earlier my boss insists on having no A/C in a city with very hot and humid summers, so I'm afraid my constant sweating could be preventing the topicals from absorbing properly. I notice that I am less oily during the cooler, drier months here -- October through early May -- so much so that I rarely have to blot, whereas these summer days I blot nearly every hour. Could this only be attributed to the effects the heat and humidity have on my skin (heat apparently reduces the viscosity of sebum, causing it to rise to the surface of the skin more readily), or is the excessive sweating an equally important factor?

Also went to my GP and got my blood checked because he thinks I may be hyperthyroid, which would explain the heat intolerance, excessive sweating, shortness of breath, anxiety, inability to gain weight, and potentially oily skin and some of my hair loss (still have some thin spots in areas of my scalp that pattern baldness doesn't typically affect, and it's definitely not alopecia areata). I'm supposed to review my test results with my GP in five weeks, so we'll see. If anyone here experiences the symptoms I listed and hasn't gotten tested already, get your thyroid checked. Thyroid issues are apparently much more common in females than in males and can potentially lead to serious health problems if left untreated.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 07/18/2013 9:44 pm

Thanks for being willing to stick it out until the Finacea runs out. I wouldn't expect it to have an effect on your oil in just two weeks anyway.

Has anyone heard of fish oil causing more oil/breakouts? I keep finding anecdotal reports of that online.

I've heard that from some people, but everybody is different. I stopped taking fish oil a couple of months ago after using it for years and I haven't noticed a change in oil production. It's one of those things you just have to try for yourself.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/18/2013 9:48 pm

Yep the fish oil affects your blood triglercerides and can have a balancing effect on your hormones. So depending on the state of your body when you start taking them you could get a variety of different results.

MemberMember
(@pr1nc355)

Posted : 07/24/2013 12:55 pm

Hey Oilygirl1980,

Thanks for the reply, thats really good information. I haven't got any lemon eo yet but I will. I know what you mean by chriatmas on your face, I felt like that when on Roaccutane lol. When I said lemon eo and co, I meant company as in the peppermint eo. I was being lazy lol.

I've been playing around with adding a drop of tea tree oil into my face wash as I apply, to see if it helps so far it hasn't. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks, I was thinking that if ut helped then I would add a few drops into my face wash that way it would be a one step action. I had peppermint eo, which I was planning to add to my moisturiser like you previous talked about. But my naughty princess emptied it down the sink, so I have to get some more.

I'll keep playing around with different things and see what happens. I hope everyone on here is seeing some results with whatever you're all using.

Lets keep up the good self research and keep posting!! :)

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 07/25/2013 9:58 pm

Ha, that makes sense. The company is nature's alchemy. I got it at the vitamin shoppe. Seems like a reputable company.

Tea tree oil didn't do much for me either. I tried to switch from benzoyl peroxide to that and after weeks of dealing with just awful breakouts, i finally gave in. :(

MemberMember
(@veini6)

Posted : 08/11/2013 2:57 am

I have been fighting acne since I was 8th grade till I was 19 years old I guess due to pregnancy hormones it finally stopped, but I still had that ONE problem which was OILY SKIN! I finally found something to cure it but you have to use daily which is milk of magnesia, trust me this stuff is like magic to my overly oily skin.

MemberMember
(@oilslick123)

Posted : 01/07/2019 2:11 pm

Hi, did anyone ever find a cure for oily skin. Im experiencing all of the symptoms mentioned, oily skin needing to be blotted every hour. Would appreciate if anyone could let me know if they found anything that worked well

MemberMember
(@sunnybeach)

Posted : 11/26/2019 6:10 pm

I'm still struggling but I found apple cider vinegar x water made me better. if it's strong, my skin gets dry. Retinoidis not working for me either..

I got Rodan+Fields Refined set (I'm not supporting their business but I was curious.) and my skin didn't get oily! although too expensive to buy the set again.

I'm trying to get my skin better from inside. I don't eat junk food thoI found my kidney might has issues. I'll Most people with skin issues have kidney issues, I suggest to take a blood test to see how your body functionally working?