Notifications
Clear all

For Those In The Uk: How Long Did It Take You To Get Accutane On The Nhs?

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 06/30/2013 4:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm going to see my GP later this week for what feels like the umpteenth time, yet this time I know I'm going to get referred to a dermatologist for accutane. I've always turned down the option of the drug in the past (despite the Doc's recommendations), but my skin has got so bad lately I feel it's the only option I have left.

I'll be doing it on the NHS, however on average how long did you guys have to wait before you get your derm appointment from your GP's referral? I know it varies widely throughout the country (I'm in the North West), but I'm just curious to see how long waiting lists tend to be.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 06/30/2013 10:03 am

Hi there!

I'm in the South East. It took me more than 3 months from being referred by my GP to getting my very first appointment with a derm.

Looking at other people's experiences, I think I was quite unlucky, some people can get an appointment within 3 weeks so just cross your fingers! ;)

MemberMember
(@roacc)

Posted : 06/30/2013 10:17 am

I'm in the North West too and after i went to my gp i got my dermatologist appoitment about 8 weeks later :)

MemberMember
(@moonstar13)

Posted : 06/30/2013 2:03 pm

i went to my gp on the 11 of june i've got my first appoiment with a dermatologist on the 29 august can't wait.

my skin is not bad on my face because i was on the regiem for a year but i still break out i get spots of my chest and back

got to wait for 9 weeks now but when you had your first appoiment you get one very month so that's not to bad.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/30/2013 2:16 pm

I'm in South Yorkshire and my wait is 3 months.

I'm in South Yorkshire and i have a 3 month wait.

Sorry. Don't know why it posted that twice !?

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 06/30/2013 4:59 pm

Hello mate

I'm in the South East and I have my first appointment with the Derm tomorrow for Accutane.

After my GP referred me it has only taken 2 weeks to get an appointment. Guess I was lucky though?

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/01/2013 4:12 am

Cheers for the replies, guys - I think it's safe to say that it really does depend on where you live! I'll report back when I go later on this week, but I would guess I'm looking at around 2-3 months for a referral. Having said that, worryingly, according to the NHS website the average waiting list for a dermatology appointment at our hospital is 16 weeks...

I love the NHS so much, but the waiting lists are a pain.

MemberMember
(@rachel31)

Posted : 07/01/2013 2:02 pm

I had my derm appointment within 35 days of seeing my GP. & I was given tane by my derm on the spot.

I'm from the north east.

I was also given the waiting times for 3 hospitals in my local area so I could choose accordingly ... I chose the one with the least wait time obviously hahaha. & my GP printed out the referral appointment slip for the hospital, which was helpful as it had my NHS number on it & a reference number for the derm appointment should I need to amend it xxx

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:36 am

I had my derm appointment within 35 days of seeing my GP. & I was given tane by my derm on the spot.

I'm from the north east.

I was also given the waiting times for 3 hospitals in my local area so I could choose accordingly ... I chose the one with the least wait time obviously hahaha. & my GP printed out the referral appointment slip for the hospital, which was helpful as it had my NHS number on it & a reference number for the derm appointment should I need to amend it xxx

That sounds fantastic - I love the fact that the last government brought in the NHS Choice system! There's a few in my area, so hopefully they'll be a difference in waiting times between them.

I finally have my GP appointment on Friday morning, so I'll report back then on how it goes. If I can get an appointment any time before September, I'll be happy!

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 07/02/2013 6:24 pm

When I went online to book my appointment I had the choice of four local hospitals. 3/4 hospitals were a longer waiting time but the one I chose only had a 14 day wait, so hopefully you can find one a bit quicker than you thought.

I had my appointment yesterday and was prescribed there and then. Had my blood test done and got a 2 month supply.

Took my first pill this evening after dinner crazy.gif

MemberMember
(@feelinsomerhythm)

Posted : 07/15/2013 4:16 am

I've finally managed to get my NHS appointment through and, while it's not brilliant, it's certainly not as bad as others have experienced. I saw my GP on July 5th, received my referral letter on July 13th and I now have my dermatology appointment for August 19th.

I'll be honest, I'm a little worried as my skin seems to be getting a lot worse at the moment, but I guess it's better to wait a month rather than lose a ridiculous sum of money on going private.

I love the NHS, I really do, but waiting lists are a pain!

MemberMember
(@geegeegeebabybaby)

Posted : 07/22/2013 3:46 pm

It took me only 2 weeks and I'm in the Midlands. But I'm only 14 so I got referred faster:(