Notifications
Clear all

What's Really Working For Me

MemberMember
(@boyo)

Posted : 06/29/2013 5:51 pm

Hi guys, I used to post often here and since my acne got under control, I unfortunately deserted the site. I thought I'd share what's been working for me honestly. I am free from active acne, this is due to Accutane taken in 2009 (4 years ago) which has kept me clear to some extent.

I use:

1. Eucerin dermopurifyer cleanser (all UK acne.org members please look into this- it is absolutely fantastic)- PM me if you want more details
  2. Simple hydrating moisturiser
  3. Garnier ambre solaire sheer control SPF 30 (I mix the moisturiser with this sunscreen)

The above has kept my skin under control, but as I am Indian, I unforunately suffered much hyperpigmentation and scarring. I suffered from this for about 5 years, and did not seem to fade in the slightest. I tried lactic acid, vitamin e oil and various other things half heartedly and nothing seemed to work.

I purchased lactic acid 55% and glycolic acid 50% from Make up artists choice (MUAC). The lactic acid I used for 3 months and greatly faded the hyperpigmentation. I have now switched to the glycolic acid and am now 2 months in, they have removed all of the stubborn hyperpigmentation.

If I'm honest with myself, using these peels have only reduced the scars by about 30%. The removal of the hyperpigmentation makes the scars appear alot better though. But the main thing I've learnt is to use sunscreen! Even in the UK!!

Please post here with any questions you may have and I'll try my best to answer them

Good luck

MemberMember
(@skdody)

Posted : 06/29/2013 6:39 pm

Hi boyo,

I have done my first lactic acid 40% for the first time 3 days ago in order to fade reddish brown hyperpigmentation marks that I have had for about 2 years now. I was wondering how long it took for you to see the result using the lactic acid. Also, did you peel while using the lactic acid? Oh and how often did you do the peel?

MemberMember
(@boyo)

Posted : 06/30/2013 6:50 am

Ok so it took about 6 peels before I noticed the pigmentation had significantly improved. I didn't peel with lactic acid, it is quite a mild peel. You will realise that newer marks will fade quite easily (within first few peels) as they are on the surface of the skin, but those older ones can take 6+ before a difference can be seen.

I did the peel once a week (but I think I could have done it every 4 days). Judge for yourself!

I can't stress this enough: please use sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried glycolic acid about 3 years ago when I was young and naive and didnt use sunscreen, and im sure it made the pigmentation worse!

I wish you all the best!

MemberMember
(@willg)

Posted : 06/30/2013 9:25 am

Thanks for the post.

Are you saying it's really important to use sunscreen just when doing a peel, or more generally? Sun exposure doesn't seem to make a difference either way to my scarring...

MemberMember
(@boyo)

Posted : 06/30/2013 11:10 am

Generally! Sorry if I wasnt clear. It won't help the scarring itself, but will speed up the removal of the hyperpigmentation, so in turn helps the scars LOOK better, if that makes sense! :)

MemberMember
(@skdody)

Posted : 06/30/2013 9:18 pm

Ok so it took about 6 peels before I noticed the pigmentation had significantly improved. I didn't peel with lactic acid, it is quite a mild peel. You will realise that newer marks will fade quite easily (within first few peels) as they are on the surface of the skin, but those older ones can take 6+ before a difference can be seen.

I did the peel once a week (but I think I could have done it every 4 days). Judge for yourself!

I can't stress this enough: please use sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried glycolic acid about 3 years ago when I was young and naive and didnt use sunscreen, and im sure it made the pigmentation worse!

I wish you all the best!

Thanks for the info. I have done my second peel today and I dont see much improvement in my hyperpigmentation sad.png

Did you see slight improvement every peel you did or was it more like close to 6 peels it suddenly improved?

MemberMember
(@boyo)

Posted : 07/01/2013 6:18 am

I wish you all the best!

Thanks for the info. I have done my second peel today and I dont see much improvement in my hyperpigmentation sad.png

Did you see slight improvement every peel you did or was it more like close to 6 peels it suddenly improved?

It'll be different according to your own marks and skin! Please stick with it and after your 6th peel you let me know if you saw a difference ;)

For those interested: Through June and July, I am doing a glycolic peel every 5 days (about 12 peels). It is a bit aggressive, alot of redness but I really want to slough off this upper damaged skin. August and September will be my "healing" months, where I will basically be using minimal products, just sunscreen/moisturizer and salicylic acid face wash (mentioned above!). I'll let you guys know how its going!