Notifications
Clear all

How Do You Deal With Bad Breakouts On A Psychological Level?

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:54 am

Like what do you tell yourself during a skin calamity? Things which make you feel better.For those of you who are college students,what do you say/do/act/behave like to reassure yourself? To increase your confidence.Like i don't know why i let it affect me so much,but it does affect me.I have to re-join my college in 3 days and i'm extremely unhappy about the fact that i have to leave my comfort zone and have to face strangers.Even though it's my third year .

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:42 pm

ur being unhappy is not doing u any good.

i know its hard but i tell myself or explain that what can be worse or how bad can it be to be with acne in a class full of judgemental students or otherwise.

i dnt think many cares really.

they see,maxm stare or pass a comment.

i have this attitude towards them "ignorant ass,i forgive u.u ask why? oh!let me see....cause i am superior to u anyway!"

i dnt care what one would think or another would say.and mostly the ones that do are either the ones who discuss lip gloss all day or the ones who can identify each and every after shave fragnances.

i anyway stay away from the barbie dolls.

ideal minds,i am at least giving them a faint reason to work their neurons.poor things doesnt exercise power of nerves much otherwise!

actually,

i have this thing about being confident and putting in utmost effort to carry myself well as soon as i step outside my house.

i dnt let my skin speak to others,i do.

i dnt think anybody other than my close frnds or family knows that i care about my acne.

in most of my school days i dont have bad acne and i can tell u,i never really cared if anyone had.

never did it effect my friendship with anyone.

so may be people dnt really care u know,its us who fret sometimes.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/29/2013 2:14 pm

I tell myself that I'm at school, not a fashion show or photo shoot set, therefore it's ok if I don't look my best, I'm here to study yo f*ck the haters

smile.png

MemberMember
(@lissbee)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:41 pm

I just try to tell myself that I'm doing everything I can to improve it. Unfortunately only time will tell if what your doing will work. All you can do is use the products you think will work or your dermatologist recommended to use. Other than that just be patient and hopeful. You just got to tell yourself you're doing everything you can and it's out of your control and only time will heal it. If you feel insecure about it just remind yourself that most of the time others won't treat you differently for it. I remember having clear skin and being around people with bad acne. I never judged them for it or treated them differently. If someone judges you for having something that is out of your control, then be relieved that you can weed bad people out of your life.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:51 pm

I tell myself that I'm at school, not a fashion show or photo shoot set, therefore it's ok if I don't look my best, I'm here to study yo f*ck the haters

smile.png

haha ;) . "Yo f*ck the haters"

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/30/2013 1:00 am

I remind myself that no one is perfect. That even if someone has good skin, they most likely have something else that they feel self conscious about, because everyone does. And furthermore, I remind myself that acne is a rather common disease and many young people have it, so I'm not alone.

I kind of meditate...somewhat. I find that laying in bed and just thinking rationally about everything really helps. I remind myself that I'm at school to study, not to impress people. And I remind myself that my friends don't care what I look like. And lastly, I remind myself that everything is going to be okay, that one day I'll look back and be stronger from everything I went through.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 06/30/2013 2:32 am

I don't want to find ways to cope with it. If acne didn't make me feel bad, I would never be motivated to get rid of it. Instead, I just use the negative feelings about acne to drive me to get clear. And now, even though I was driven all the way to accutane, I look great, I feel great, and I don't feel insecure about acne, because I barely have any left.

I have always believed that you should not cope with your acne. Instead you should get rid of it, no matter how hard it will be.

That being said, I did find ways to deal with the insecurity caused by the acne, not the acne itself. I just reminded myself that I am always trying to get rid of the acne, and although I look bad now, I will not stop until I get clear.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/30/2013 4:41 am

I don't want to find ways to cope with it. If acne didn't make me feel bad, I would never be motivated to get rid of it. Instead, I just use the negative feelings about acne to drive me to get clear. And now, even though I was driven all the way to accutane, I look great, I feel great, and I don't feel insecure about acne, because I barely have any left.

I have always believed that you should not cope with your acne. Instead you should get rid of it, no matter how hard it will be.

That being said, I did find ways to deal with the insecurity caused by the acne, not the acne itself. I just reminded myself that I am always trying to get rid of the acne, and although I look bad now, I will not stop until I get clear.

eusa_think.gif

ur being unhappy is not doing u any good.

i know its hard but i tell myself or explain that what can be worse or how bad can it be to be with acne in a class full of judgemental students or otherwise.

i dnt think many cares really.

they see,maxm stare or pass a comment.

i have this attitude towards them "ignorant ass,i forgive u.u ask why? oh!let me see....cause i am superior to u anyway!"

i dnt care what one would think or another would say.and mostly the ones that do are either the ones who discuss lip gloss all day or the ones who can identify each and every after shave fragnances.

i anyway stay away from the barbie dolls.

ideal minds,i am at least giving them a faint reason to work their neurons.poor things doesnt exercise power of nerves much otherwise!

actually,

i have this thing about being confident and putting in utmost effort to carry myself well as soon as i step outside my house.

i dnt let my skin speak to others,i do.

i dnt think anybody other than my close frnds or family knows that i care about my acne.

in most of my school days i dont have bad acne and i can tell u,i never really cared if anyone had.

never did it effect my friendship with anyone.

so may be people dnt really care u know,its us who fret sometimes.

aap toh ho hi confident dee :)... I'm trying to not let acne affect my confidence.Because if i don't have acne,my confidence can consume my friends.I'm pretty boisterous and uproarious at times .

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/30/2013 9:54 am

i think i might have guessed a fair bit.but not in a bad way.

its almost like a spoiled brat!=p

u just need some scolding on and off ,otherwise u're good.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/30/2013 7:44 pm

Sometimes I find the most practical thing to do, to help me think less of my acne and feel more confident during the day, is to make sure looking in the mirror is not the last thing I do before I leave the house for the day. Often I also find that if I've 'dressed up' a little more than usual (without being over the top for something casual like uni) or like whatever clothes I'm wearing, I tend to feel more confident. It gives me some aspect of my appearance that I feel ok about. If I've left the house in the morning with a more positive outlook, especially toward my skin (and if not my skin, some part of how I look for the day), that really helps me during the day.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/01/2013 4:09 am

Sometimes I find the most practical thing to do, to help me think less of my acne and feel more confident during the day, is to make sure looking in the mirror is not the last thing I do before I leave the house for the day. Often I also find that if I've 'dressed up' a little more than usual (without being over the top for something casual like uni) or like whatever clothes I'm wearing, I tend to feel more confident. It gives me some aspect of my appearance that I feel ok about. If I've left the house in the morning with a more positive outlook, especially toward my skin (and if not my skin, some part of how I look for the day), that really helps me during the day.

Same. To compensate for my acne i have to replenish my wardrobe every two months . Nice trousers and a fitting Ralph-Lauren does the job for me :).But i know compensating for your lack of confidence with clothes,accessories,etc is VERY SUPERFICIAL.I mean i wasn't the boy i am today ,5 years earlier. I was always immersed in reading books,learning new things like capitals ,head of states (lol).But Acne has made me so superficial.I pay attention to trifles which didn't affect me before.It's sad . But i'm trying to bring it back to normal ,the way it was before.

I'll try to do that too.Not looking in the mirror before leaving the house .

i think i might have guessed a fair bit.but not in a bad way.

its almost like a spoiled brat!=p

u just need some scolding on and off ,otherwise u're good.

hehe :P

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/01/2013 6:52 am

Same. To compensate for my acne i have to replenish my wardrobe every two months . Nice trousers and a fitting Ralph-Lauren does the job for me smile.png.But i know compensating for your lack of confidence with clothes,accessories,etc is VERY SUPERFICIAL.I mean i wasn't the boy i am today ,5 years earlier. I was always immersed in reading books,learning new things like capitals ,head of states (lol).But Acne has made me so superficial.I pay attention to trifles which didn't affect me before.It's sad . But i'm trying to bring it back to normal ,the way it was before.

I'll try to do that too.Not looking in the mirror before leaving the house .

Yeah it is a 'shallow' sort of approach, I'll admit, but if it helps me feel more confident in the sense that I feel like I can face the world then it's ok with me. I don't spend much money on clothes though and having designer things has never been important to me - so it's more that I like what I'm wearing that day I guess. It's sort of like trading one aspect of my appearance that I don't have much control over (my skin) for something I do have control of (what I wear).

Hopefully avoiding the mirror helps you at least a little.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/01/2013 11:49 pm

^ yeah, nothing wrong with wanting to look good ^_^

unless it becomes a spending problem like in "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 07/02/2013 12:09 am

i look in the mirror and say you are one ugly ass lookin human being. that way i know why people are looking at me strange.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 07/02/2013 1:12 am

I am the last person in the world who should be answering this question as a breakout just freaks me out and cripples me emotionally.

How do I deal with it? I don`t but somehow I manage to drag myself into work - if I don`t work, I can`t eat or pay my bills. Starving and potentially being homeless are great motivational factors when it comes to getting your arse into gear. If I didn`t have to work, I would probably just curl up and hide.

When the breakout clears or starts looking better, that`s when I begin to function again.

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 07/02/2013 5:01 am

This might work for you, but it can make people overly obsessed with their skin problems and very impatient. I think it's important to take a deep breath and think about the bigger picture every once in a while so you don't get to revved up about it. You have to put your issues in perspective to be able to decide what's best fpr you, if you only care about your skin, you might choose accutane without first considering your health. It's important to balance both the mind and the skin in order to successfully treat acne.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:16 pm

This might work for you, but it can make people overly obsessed with their skin problems and very impatient. I think it's important to take a deep breath and think about the bigger picture every once in a while so you don't get to revved up about it. You have to put your issues in perspective to be able to decide what's best fpr you, if you only care about your skin, you might choose accutane without first considering your health. It's important to balance both the mind and the skin in order to successfully treat acne.

I agree.Try not be obsessed with your skin.You'll be happier :)

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 07/03/2013 6:56 pm

Come to acne.org and read other peoples stories. I don't know why it helps but its therapeutic. It keeps me going.

MemberMember
(@user165416)

Posted : 07/03/2013 9:02 pm

The psychological struggle was certainly the hardest part of acne for me, before a friend introduced me to some methods of dealing with the stress/emotions.

It always seemed like there were so many things I could control in my life (like food, exercise, regimens, etc.), but emotions my were always out of control. Which, honestly, is like having a bear loose in a china shop.

These days I use EFT (short for Emotional Freedom Techniques) to deal with the emotions that use to overwhelm me. It's a powerful tool, which doesn't take long to learn. It involves tapping a few meridian points on the face and body, and you can do it in the car or in your room. Sounded kinda new-agey when I first heard about it, but frankly I was ready to try anything. And EFT really worked, and I haven't found any other way of dealing with the emotional side of acne.