Notifications
Clear all

Small Pimples On Lipline?

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:46 am

Hey guys,

In the past couple days I've gotten a heap ton of little pimples along my upper lipline. Although they are small, they are really embarrassing and unsightly because they're in such a noticeable area. On Friday I started a new regimen that involves Oxy 10% BP face wash, followed by Aveeno salicylic acid moisturizer. Since I'd had some lipline acne prior to that, I decided to make a point of using the products along my lipline to try and combat future breakouts. However, now it seems that I'm just getting more.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Should I drop one or both of the products? I really don't want to, because it seems like they're working in other areas of my face. Maybe I should just try and avoid the lip region completely? Another potential culprit could be concealer, which I'd used on the area three times in the past week. However, I'd used concealer before, and while I figured it was exacerbating some of my acne, it was never this bad. In fact, concealer was my first suspect for these lipline pimples, but I last used it Wednesday, and this morning I woke up to a couple new ones.

I attached a pic. It's contrast enhanced to make the pimples redder, so you guys can actually see where they are. I'd say I have maybe seven that formed in the last three or four days, mostly along my upper lip, and one on my lower. There are also a couple red marks from older ones.

Thanks.

post-135507-0-02348800-1372434431_thumb.

post-135507-0-02348800-1372434431_thumb.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:25 am

Hey guys,

In the past couple days I've gotten a heap ton of little pimples along my upper lipline. Although they are small, they are really embarrassing and unsightly because they're in such a noticeable area. On Friday I started a new regimen that involves Oxy 10% BP face wash, followed by Aveeno salicylic acid moisturizer. Since I'd had some lipline acne prior to that, I decided to make a point of using the products along my lipline to try and combat future breakouts. However, now it seems that I'm just getting more.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Should I drop one or both of the products? I really don't want to, because it seems like they're working in other areas of my face. Maybe I should just try and avoid the lip region completely? Another potential culprit could be concealer, which I'd used on the area three times in the past week. However, I'd used concealer before, and while I figured it was exacerbating some of my acne, it was never this bad. In fact, concealer was my first suspect for these lipline pimples, but I last used it Wednesday, and this morning I woke up to a couple new ones.

I attached a pic. It's contrast enhanced to make the pimples redder, so you guys can actually see where they are. I'd say I have maybe seven that formed in the last three or four days, mostly along my upper lip, and one on my lower. There are also a couple red marks from older ones.

Thanks.

I used to have a problem with acne above my lip and on my chin. I switched my morning soap to Cetaphil Antibacterial soap and it cleared it up right away. When I asked my doctor about this, he said most likely the acne near the nose was not true acne and was caused by Staph, which can happen and that the Triclosan in the antibacterial soap killed the staph bacteria. Since staph bacteria colonize in the nose, sometimes they get a little out of control and overcolonize which leads to this type of acne. Not sure if my doctor was right or not, but it doesnt hurt to try some of that antibacterial soap to see if it helps.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:33 am

Thanks! Thing is, it doesn't fit staph symptoms... they come to whiteheads just like regular pimples, no crust or blood or anything.

I've been reading other posts and it seems like a potential cause could be BP too near the lips... I did spot treat yesterday with 10% BP, right on the lipline... and it's interesting that there's barely been anything on the lower lip, and that's also the area that I haven't spot treated...

Perhaps I just need to stop smearing BP on my lipline? And when I use my BP wash, make sure to carefully avoid the lipline?

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 06/28/2013 2:34 pm

You're not using any kind of lipgloss/balm on your lips are you? I used to get severely dry lips and put vaseline on them just before I went to bed to ensure I didn't end up with cracked, bleeding lips and that made me break out like crazy. At first I didn't make the connection but once I switched to a natural lip balm and applied the absolute bare minimum I saw those tiny pimples fade away.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/28/2013 2:57 pm

I do use chapstick on occasion, but usually only on the inner lip rather than the outer. I've used Blistex, which supposedly gives a lot of people problems, without issue. Now I'm using ChapStick moisturizer with SPF 15, but I'm pretty sure I've been using it way before these pimples erupted.

Like I said, lately I've been using Oxy 10% BP cleanser and SA moisturizer on the area... Yesterday I also used a bunch of 10% BP spot treatment on two of them, and this morning I found two new ones had formed in between... not sure if it's a coincidence or not...

Also, as I mentioned, I'd been using concealer on and off for about a month and a half now, specifically Maybelline Dark Spot Eraser... it comes in a stick with a foam applicator, and I am now considering that perhaps since the applicator never gets washed, I ended up spreading some acne bacteria around by accident?

In any case, I'm considering just leaving the area near my lips alone for the time being. I'm going to switch to Dan's BP for now (the Oxy treatment is watery and there's the danger of it dripping down onto my lip), and use a non-SA moisturizer.

For a while I was extremely scared it was the herp, so I took lysine and whatnot, but that just gave me splitting headaches. Now I realize they don't really fit the herpes profile, since they form heads and never actually form ON the lip, just right on the line.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 06/28/2013 3:16 pm

Thanks! Thing is, it doesn't fit staph symptoms... they come to whiteheads just like regular pimples, no crust or blood or anything.

I've been reading other posts and it seems like a potential cause could be BP too near the lips... I did spot treat yesterday with 10% BP, right on the lipline... and it's interesting that there's barely been anything on the lower lip, and that's also the area that I haven't spot treated...

Perhaps I just need to stop smearing BP on my lipline? And when I use my BP wash, make sure to carefully avoid the lipline?

My symptoms were the same as you, I did not have crusting or blood either, but still the doctor said that it was due to staph and that the triclosan will help. All I know is that the triclosan did help and it might help you. I also dont think it was staph because it doesnt fit the classic symptoms like you said, but I cant deny the results of the soap he recommended. Good luck and I hope everything works out :)

I do use chapstick on occasion, but usually only on the inner lip rather than the outer. I've used Blistex, which supposedly gives a lot of people problems, without issue. Now I'm using ChapStick moisturizer with SPF 15, but I'm pretty sure I've been using it way before these pimples erupted.

Like I said, lately I've been using Oxy 10% BP cleanser and SA moisturizer on the area... Yesterday I also used a bunch of 10% BP spot treatment on two of them, and this morning I found two new ones had formed in between... not sure if it's a coincidence or not...

Also, as I mentioned, I'd been using concealer on and off for about a month and a half now, specifically Maybelline Dark Spot Eraser... it comes in a stick with a foam applicator, and I am now considering that perhaps since the applicator never gets washed, I ended up spreading some acne bacteria around by accident?

In any case, I'm considering just leaving the area near my lips alone for the time being. I'm going to switch to Dan's BP for now (the Oxy treatment is watery and there's the danger of it dripping down onto my lip), and use a non-SA moisturizer.

For a while I was extremely scared it was the herp, so I took lysine and whatnot, but that just gave me splitting headaches. Now I realize they don't really fit the herpes profile, since they form heads and never actually form ON the lip, just right on the line.

Oh yeah I wanted to let you know and reassure you that it definitely does not look like herpes at all. Herpes are clusters of tiny blister-like pimples right on the lip and your pictures do not show that at all. So be reassured that it is not herpes.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/29/2013 8:50 am

So wanted to update... this morning I woke up and the pimples were larger, redder and more inflamed than yesterday, some of them coming to heads. Only one new one that I can tell, this one a little more on the lip than the previous ones. It's small right now but it'll probably get bigger like the others. I kind of want to use something on them, but I fear I'll just aggravate them and make them spread more, so I'm going to grin and bear it for a couple more days to see if they just stop appearing on their own. I'll also try my darndest not to touch them AT ALL. If they keep coming, well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try some of that antibacterial soap, as well as make a physician appointment, because in that case it could be more than just irritation.

EDIT: I still blame concealer... this is only the third day since I put it on, so these could be delayed effects.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 06/30/2013 6:43 am

Another update... yesterday the pimples were super red and super swollen, I guess because they were at their "peak"? Today they are a bit less so. I haven't used anything on the near-lip area except water from the shower. Also, what I thought was a new lip pimple yesterday was actually not one, just discoloration caused by inflammation of a nearby pimple. So essentially, I think they've stopped coming in. If there are new developments I'll keep this thread alive, maybe it will help some people experiencing the same thing. I know the near-lip area is very sensitive so I'm thinking it's just a bad reaction to a product I used.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:01 pm

Again, haven't directly used anything on the pimples. I found a new one today, on the left side. Not sure why. I'm hoping it's just really delayed effects. I did use black soap yesterday, although I avoided the lipline... I guess I should just wait it out and see if any more form. It's a bummer though, I was hoping I'd just have the old ones to wait out, but now I have a new one to deal with as well... but, I guess it's just a waiting game for now. Not going to use anything on them except water from the shower.

EDIT: Urgggh I hope they're not planning to spread... fml

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/02/2013 11:46 am

Seems like they are spreading, I don't know whether to treat them or not... I have maybe three new ones total since I started this thread. I made an appointment with my physician for tomorrow, hopefully she will be able to tell whether it's herpes or staph or something. Honestly, cysts are secondary at this point, I just want this crap off my lip!

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/04/2013 9:46 am

It hasn't really gotten worse since my last post, so fingers crossed it's finally over. My physician took a swab yesterday, but said it definitely looked like herpes... she said it was probably just pimples caused by contact dermatitis. I did scrub that area a lot in the days before the breakout, so that could be it. Anyway I've been super gentle with it from then on and it seems to have curbed the problem a bit.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 07/04/2013 11:00 am

It hasn't really gotten worse since my last post, so fingers crossed it's finally over. My physician took a swab yesterday, but said it definitely looked like herpes... she said it was probably just pimples caused by contact dermatitis. I did scrub that area a lot in the days before the breakout, so that could be it. Anyway I've been super gentle with it from then on and it seems to have curbed the problem a bit.

:C I'm sorry that it's lasted this long!!

Your daily regimen sounds a little aggressive, to say the least. So I think your being ultra gentle will help clear it right up. Try spot treating with honey (Manuka does work the best) if you're at your wits end. It's a natural antiseptic and it is so gentle and should clear them up in half the time.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/08/2013 4:51 pm

Your daily regimen sounds a little aggressive, to say the least. So I think your being ultra gentle will help clear it right up. Try spot treating with honey (Manuka does work the best) if you're at your wits end. It's a natural antiseptic and it is so gentle and should clear them up in half the time.

The 10% wash followed by an SA moisturizer did indeed seem overly aggressive...

The lipline acne has stopped coming in since then... I've been using gentler products, and trying to avoid the lipline... also dropped any and all cosmetics and chapsticks. Not exactly at my wit's end anymore :) I think it's just a waiting game now...

And oh God, in my last post I mentioned my physician said it looked like herpes... what she actually said was, it DIDN'T look like herpes tinydan.gif For additional confirmation, she called me today and said that the swab test did indeed come back negative. I was so relieved! One less problem to worry about.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/08/2013 11:21 pm

I'm going through the same thing right now, weird. I've only had probably a dozen pimples around my mouth (I have them showing up on my lower lip a bit, too) in my entire life, but in the last 2 weeks I've had a dozen more. They seem to be spreading. This morning two of them formed the most perfect-looking whiteheads, like they were just primed to be popped, but I waited and eventually they scraped off due to whatever during the day. Then I ended up scratching the little scabs off, etc. so now I know tomorrow I'll be back at square one with them. I'll probably have a couple new ones too. It's weird, because my forehead looks better than it has in years right now, but my mouth area, where I never usually get pimples, is going nuts. I've been taking a lot of Vitamin C, so that could be it.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 07/14/2013 11:15 am

The lipline acne has stopped coming in since then... I've been using gentler products, and trying to avoid the lipline... also dropped any and all cosmetics and chapsticks. Not exactly at my wit's end anymore smile.png I think it's just a waiting game now...

And oh God, in my last post I mentioned my physician said it looked like herpes... what she actually said was, it DIDN'T look like herpes tinydan.gif For additional confirmation, she called me today and said that the swab test did indeed come back negative. I was so relieved! One less problem to worry about.

How's everything going??

I know chapsticks really can break me out too. I use good ol' Carmex but I think even that has mineral oil in it (definite acne aggressor). I can't even use a mouth wash because it breaks me out severely in an otherwise breakout free zone. :S

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 07/14/2013 12:59 pm

The lipline acne has stopped coming in since then... I've been using gentler products, and trying to avoid the lipline... also dropped any and all cosmetics and chapsticks. Not exactly at my wit's end anymore smile.png I think it's just a waiting game now...

How's everything going??

I know chapsticks really can break me out too. I use good ol' Carmex but I think even that has mineral oil in it (definite acne aggressor). I can't even use a mouth wash because it breaks me out severely in an otherwise breakout free zone. :S

Doing fairly well... there haven't really been much new ones... maybe one a couple days ago, but I can't really tell if it's on the lipline or not. Just close to the lip, but then again, a lot of my acne as of late has been. Overall, my acne around the mouth has gotten a lot worse since I started this topic... most of the breakout was two weeks ago and I think I know what caused it. Since then I've just been battling with the after-effects. However, there really haven't been any new lipLINE pimples other than the one I mentioned, so good news on that front.