Notifications
Clear all

Can Sleeping Late But Sleeping Adequately Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/28/2013 6:01 am

My parents have never approved of my habit of sleeping late.My father keeps telling me that a reason why my acne keeps getting worse is because i sleep late.It's true that i sleep ridiculously late ,usually around 2-3 AM. But then i get up late also.So i get around 7-8 hours sleep.Could sleeping late but sleeping reasonably well be a cause of acne? Does sleeping late cause hormonal turmoil in your body?

Please help if you are well informed on this.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/28/2013 8:14 am

Yes, your father is a smart man.Keeping an unnatural circadian cycle affects hormones, carb metabolism, melatonin/seratonin cycle and much more. I imagine you are exposed to melatonin inhibiting artificial light and TV and computer screens until 2-3 pm?

There have been tons of threads from people who went camping and their skin cleared up.

See the pinned good things thread on sleep/ circadian cycle.

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:19 am

There are numerous claims that getting to sleep late (something I routinely do) directly affects acne, but I remain unconvinced. Surely, it's destructive to the body because it distracts it away from its natural rhythm, but I'm not sure I'd directly link it to more acne. No offense , but people (especially older people/parents) regularly make ignorant comments about the causes of acne. If day-to-day actions, sleep patterns, diet, alcohol, and other such things were aggravating factors in acne cases, then surely 60 percent of teens and young adults would be riddled with pimples. Yes, hormones do play a tremendous role, but this is a genetic disease that just needs to be kept under control while one lives their life as they would otherwise (with the exception of maintaining a careful skin-care routine and not making a point of living an atrociously unhealthy lifestyle, as a whole).

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:22 am

There are numerous claims that getting to sleep late (something I routinely do) directly affects acne, but I remain unconvinced. Surely, it's destructive to the body because it distracts it away from its natural rhythm, but I'm not sure I'd directly link it to more acne. No offense , but people (especially older people/parents) regularly make ignorant comments about the causes of acne. If day-to-day actions, sleep patterns, diet, alcohol, and other such things were aggravating factors in acne cases, then surely 60 percent of teens and young adults would be riddled with pimples. Yes, hormones do play a tremendous role, but this is a genetic disease that just needs to be kept under control while one lives their life as they would otherwise (with the exception of maintaining a careful skin-care routine and not making a point of living an atrociously unhealthy lifestyle, as a whole).

Well he's not an ignorant parent.He's a brain doctor and he reasons that sleeping late often elevates cortisol levels and thus causing stress and even depression which further increases stress... How many times will i have to reiterate this! When you say "If this causes acne why wouldn't it cause acne to others"? Dude it's because we are acne prone ! We are gullible to pimples... You may as well deny that diet doesn't influences acne ? But we all would deny that because we know diet indeed affects your acne.But then why do other people don't get acne even when they eat all the unhealthy things in the world? BECAUSE they are not acne prone! Is it so difficult?

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:35 pm

I wasn't calling your dad ignorant, dude. I was just saying what's mostly common knowledge, by now. These forums are full of ridiculous claims regarding what affects acne and what doesn't. Some people literally limit themselves nutritionally and in other aspects out of fear that they'll get a pimple if they eat this or do that. As far as diet is concerned, I'm really not sure whether there have been enough definitive studies linking it to acne. I know that, recently, there have been suggestions that diet does indeed affect acne, but the majority of studies have failed to find a link. Having said that, if you notice that something CLEARLY causes you to break out every single time, you should probably stay away from it. This could be the cause of some sort of undiscovered allergy or intolerance. I agree with you about acne prone individuals having to be more careful to avoid flare ups, but certain claims still simply lack adequate backing.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:53 pm

once i resume work i am happy to say i will have a better sleeping time.

now although i sleep for 7.5-8 hrs everyday, like u its 1.30 to 2 for me too.and i get up at 9.30-10 am

i am guessing for u too the sleep time will change for good when ur college starts.

so we could check whether or not it effects our skin.and if yes, then how much.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/28/2013 4:02 pm

Yep, People regularly make ignorant comments all right.

Of course there are genetics involved. That coupled with what you do to yourself determines whether of not you develop the condition.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 06/28/2013 5:03 pm

I personally would say inspite of me sleeping 8 hours when I used to go to bed late I never had the energy I have if I sleep on time. No afternoon after lunch grogginess , I feel more productive at work and I can easily fall back to sleep at 10pm the next day. NO effort to sleep.

I dont know if it affected my acne but its definitely a feel good for me.

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 06/28/2013 6:54 pm

Maybe that's why I've been stressed out lately /: I've been going to sleep late because I have too much on my mind or I just stay up surfing the web reading articles. And I've always gone to sleep pretty late unless it's a work night... I know I need to fix my schedule though ASAP. My hormones are also wack right now (Still trying to regulate myself from stopping birth control 10 months ago) and I have random dead blood here and there so that might also be also why I feel so stressed out and emotional. I think it affects my acne because stress = breakouts for me.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/29/2013 1:39 am

One of my relatives has a fluctuating schedule that all too often means less than 6 hours of sleep a night, going to bed at 4am, "waking up late", trying to make up for it on the weekends, etc. Doesn't eat great but doesn't eat horribly. Exercises some. Doesn't wash with anything but water and whatever crap cleanser has nice packaging at Wal-Mart. Is not on birth control or other hormonal therapies. Never had a pimple in her life.

Yes, sleep, like everything else (diet, natural hormone levels, stress), is a factor in acne. But, like everything else, it is not the one sole deciding factor in acne. Acne isn't "caused" by one thing or another, it CAN be caused by a combination of things depending on the person's body chemistry.

I notice that my skin is oilier when I wake up from sleep, period. I've pulled a few all-nighters in my life, and there was nothing like NO sleep to give me DRY sallow skin with no new pimples. It was the one good thing about an all-nighter...at least I didn't have more zits to contend with.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/29/2013 1:53 am

Maybe that's why I've been stressed out lately /: I've been going to sleep late because I have too much on my mind or I just stay up surfing the web reading articles. And I've always gone to sleep pretty late unless it's a work night... I know I need to fix my schedule though ASAP. My hormones are also wack right now (Still trying to regulate myself from stopping birth control 10 months ago) and I have random dead blood here and there so that might also be also why I feel so stressed out and emotional. I think it affects my acne because stress = breakouts for me.

Try sleeping early like 10-11 AM. At least when you have nothing to do.Operating a computer before bed further delays our sleep because we won't feel sleepy at all when we go to bed after it.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/29/2013 6:08 am

my skin is oily(specially the nose and cheek are around the nose and otherwise) after i wake up.

i can guess that the span of time is quite a lot say 7- 8 hrs without any blotting or washing (for me at least)!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/29/2013 10:19 am

No looking at computer screens after about 9 pm, but ideally even earlier. IF you must do it, get an app that changes the display away from the blue spectrum. Or get a screen cover or orange glasses. See the sleep and circadian cycle thread.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:48 pm

wha

No looking at computer screens after about 9 pm, but ideally even earlier. IF you must do it, get an app that changes the display away from the blue spectrum. Or get a screen cover or orange glasses. See the sleep and circadian cycle thread.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:14 pm

wha

how about just reducing the brightness of the screen ?

Why not stop using computer after 9 as she said ,dee? Are you an internet addict too like me lol... I mean it's so good if you sleep after reading.It gives you good dreams and makes you feel calm.I wholeheartedly recommend sleeping early to you. I mean not at 8 as some articles write lol. That's not feasible in the the 21st century.I mean if we lived in the 19th century perhaps then we could sleep at 8... But sleeping at 11 is good enough.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:33 pm

wha

how about just reducing the brightness of the screen ?

Why not stop using computer after 9 as she said ,dee? Are you an internet addict too like me lol... I mean it's so good if you sleep after reading.It gives you good dreams and makes you feel calm.I wholeheartedly recommend sleeping early to you. I mean not at 8 as some articles write lol. That's not feasible in the the 21st century.I mean if we lived in the 19th century perhaps then we could sleep at 8... But sleeping at 11 is good enough.

u're right brother,i have this tedency to use my reader and also check on blogs or health forum/posts here after dinner(i mean usual dinner time here in india) and it does mess .

will have to check that habit now on!