Notifications
Clear all

Living Life As A Gay Person With Acne?

MemberMember
(@liambrown25)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:45 am

Hi,

I'm a 17-year-old gay male, and I have acne. I'm hoping to be in a relationship someday, but I'm wondering how my acne will affect this. I'm curious if there are any other gay guys on these boards who would be willing to share their stories of having acne and their relationship adventures, especially how acne has affected their self-esteem.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:55 am

Hello!

I'm 19 and gay. I have mild-moderate acne.. I'm on week 8 of the regimen right now. The only thing that ever stopped me with relationships was myself and how I perceived my own image. All of the relationships I've ever been in the other boy said they could care less about whatever acne I had.. It was me that was distancing myself from them because of my own insecurity.

Be yourself, be confident, and don't hold yourself back.. this is what I learned! and if you follow that then you will find someone that will appreciate you for you.

Hope this helped (:

Ries liked
MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/28/2013 1:02 am

Hey there, I'm straight but I think the advice Garrett gave you there is spot on for any type of relationship involving acne rather you're gay, straight, or whatever your sexuality is. I did the exact same thing he mentions where I would always distance myself from girls that were interested in me because I was ashamed and embarrassed about my acne.

I think what you should focus on is finding a partner that you're comfortable being open about with your skin issues so you discuss how acne makes you feel with this person and they can give you the emotional support you need and that way it's out of the way and the relationship can be built on honesty from that point on.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to open up to anyone like that and be accepted regardless of flaws, but I tried it with my current girlfriend and she's been supportive as hell and responded in such a positive way.

People tend to be really understanding when you just honestly and openly explain your acne situation and the struggles that come with it, just be up front with future partners and you'll be heading down the right path to a comfortable relationship!

Ries and Garrettryan liked
(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/28/2013 6:44 am

Acne doesn't affect me any more than it would a straight person. I think it's all about confidence like Garrett said. People are attracted to confidence.

If getting clear would give you more confidence and help your self-esteem, maybe give the regimen a try.

Good luck and don't let being gay define you. It's a mere aspect of us.

MemberMember
(@gteen)

Posted : 06/28/2013 7:22 am

well im straight but would consider myself metrosexual (care a lot about my image)

and when my acne was worse I had confidence issues, once i started treatment I started caring less about my acne even though it hadn't got better yet.

1. I think you have to realise that it will get better sometime (maybe in the near future) whether you go to the doctor, or use the regimen.

2. when you look in the mirror the first thing you probably notice is your acne, but when you look at other people with acne you probably notice their acne last. thats the same way people would look at you.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/28/2013 1:07 pm

well gay guys have hit on me while women are repulsed by me. That being said it might be easier being gay with acne just from what I have experienced. Too bad I'm not gay maybe I'd be happy right now.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/28/2013 7:25 pm

Gay, straight, bi, it doesn't matter. Acne affects us all the same way. My little sister is gay and just like me has the same issues. She doesn't give a Sh*t what people think of her. She has so many girlfriends, it's ridiculous. It never has held her back from getting what she wants and you should NOT let it hold you back.

Life is too short to worry about the small things.

Ries liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/30/2018 3:37 pm

Hi! Im 23 and still have mild to severe acne. I just started accutane and my self esteem couldnt be lower lol I feel like everyday people stare at me because of my acne and Ive never been in a relationship cause Ive had this since I was 18 and I keep thinking that all guys wont like me because of my face and I just dont date cause Im too afraid. I know this is not encouraging but this is how i feel. And ir has affected not o oh romsrically but oh well I low accutane works :c