Notifications
Clear all

Just How Bad Is The Sun Sensitivity Whileon Accutane?

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 06/27/2013 9:33 pm

I will be on Accutane come the middle of July. I was put on Minocycline back in April, and they told me that that cause sun sensitivity. I took so many precautions because of that. I stayed out of the sun, lathered up with sun screen, but yet it actually made me tan very easily. I'm out in the sun almost everyday, and I usually don't get a good tan until the end of July/beginning of August. I had a tan from only being out in the sun for a week. I burned a little in the beginning but that's how it always is for me. After that I could not believe how tan I got.

Now my question is, does Accutane really cause bad sun sensitivity? I was actually supposed to be on Accutane now, but some medical assistant at my doctors office screwed everything up. Another assistant then said to me, "oh now you can be out in the sun for another month". So, how bad is it?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:21 am

It's bad. Burning in 10 minutes for me and I am not very sun sensitive. I have been on many antibiotics and never protected my skin stupidly. But I never burnt either. Accutane is crazy strong and does things to your body that you didn't think possible. Both good and bad. I'd use a SPF 30 for just being in the sun lighty but a SPF 70 if I was doing anything water related or fishing. Some people who burn on accutane have ended up in the hospital with 2nd degree burns and popping blisters all over and bad scarring. I would risk it. I was out in the sun all summer when I was on it. I didn't avoid it or hide in the shade but I did protect myself. You should too.

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:40 am

Oh yeah, I'm not not going to wear any sunscreen, I was just wondering how bad it is. Trust me I will be taking precautions. I always wear sunscreen and a hat while I'm out. Thanks for the info!

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:38 pm

I didn't experience any problems while on accutane. I wore sunscreen and kinda stayed out of it, but I believe its dose dependent. The people who are on high doses burn very badly.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/28/2013 3:01 pm

I think it's really more person dependent people on low dose 10 mg every other day have burnt badly.

MemberMember
(@dilettante)

Posted : 06/28/2013 3:59 pm

On accutane now, skin is pretty sun sensitive. Actually, I'd say my skin is everything sensitive since being on accutane. You should wear sunscreen when you're out, for sure, and cover up as much as you can, and reapply sun screen every 2 hours if you're outside, especially since it's summer right now and the sun is pretty strong, even up north. Regardless of being on accutane though, you should still wear sunscreen if you're out; UV rays are really bad for your skin and premature aging.

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:07 pm

Mine was horrible. I remember sitting inside my sun porch to watch a 30 minute show. It was DVR'd, so it was about 23 minutes in all actuality. I didn't think to put on sunscreen because I was inside, but I got extremely bad burns in that short amount of time.

I tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and without a doubt sunscreen at all times when out and about. Also put it on to drive - most people forget that, and it's crucial.

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 06/29/2013 1:25 am

Ooh yes, good point on the driving. Thanks everyone! So basically any time i go outside I will need to lather up. I will be camping in August, I'll be outside almost all day, so I'll be sure to bring bucket loads of lotion!

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/30/2013 11:08 pm

I'm no more sensitive to the sun then I was before I went on it and its been over five weeks so it really depends on the person.

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 07/01/2013 3:59 pm

I'm glad I got all these responses, nice to see how it affects everyone. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nomo)

Posted : 07/06/2013 10:54 pm

I am on a high dose and do not burn with SPF 50. However, I have been getting brown spots on my face, melasma. Never had it before and it's kind of ugly. Also, even though I don't burn, I am still very sensitive to the heat. I sweat a lot more and then become sticky afterwards, even between my fingers. My skin also feels tingly, red, and flushed when I am warm or hot. Uncomfortable.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 07/07/2013 12:33 am

I agree with the people who say it depends on the person. My son's derm is a world renowned dr (really). One of the very best-been practicing for over 40 yrs & has prescribed lots of Accutane. He claims the whole Accutane/extra sun sensitivity is a myth & there is no difference. Maybe/maybe not ? All I know is, my son has been on it 3 mos now & hasn't had any problems. Even when he doesn't wear sunscreen he's fine (but he hasn't stayed outside all day). When he goes swimming he wears the usual amount & no hat. He hasn't had a bad sunburn.

So yeah, I tend to think maybe it just depends on the individual? :/

MemberMember
(@meowza)

Posted : 07/07/2013 12:09 pm

I am definitely sun sensitive. I always wore sunscreen, usually SPF 15 or 30 before Accutane as I am pretty protective of my skin. Now on a 40/80mg alternating dose I am VERY sun sensitive. I burn after being out in the sun for about 10-15 minutes wearing SPF 50 or 60 on my face/chest/shoulders. I burnt very badly on my arms too, an unexpected place.. I had large blisters and a sunrash. You can never be too safe with sun protection! Wear a hat, cover up, and reapply the sunscreen. That burn was incredibly painful and now I don't take any chances. Better safe than sorry!

Also I have also been sensitive to regular heat. Sweaty, red, hot, and uncomfortable where as before I lived for the heat. Not anymore.

Might be an individual thing though, who knows. But I wouldn't risk going outdoors without covering up.

MemberMember
(@meowza)

Posted : 07/07/2013 4:27 pm

Mine was horrible. I remember sitting inside my sun porch to watch a 30 minute show. It was DVR'd, so it was about 23 minutes in all actuality. I didn't think to put on sunscreen because I was inside, but I got extremely bad burns in that short amount of time.

I tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and without a doubt sunscreen at all times when out and about. Also put it on to drive - most people forget that, and it's crucial.

YES. Put it on if you are going in the car. I couldn't agree more. I had a three hour road trip one morning. Didn't think about sunscreen for driving. Wasnt covered up either. By the time I got home my skin was on fire, crunchy, and blistered. My seatbelt tan-line showed my concern for seatbelt safety at least. :\