Notifications
Clear all

Minocycline.....wow!

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 3:17 am

I got prescribed minocycline 100mg MR yesterday. I'm already noticing a difference! I had several stubborn spots on my neck, stomach, legs and face and for the first time they are drying up and look much less angry.

I'll keep you all posted. It is difficult not to get excited so early. But we sufferers know our skin so well and we do notice these small changes. Onwards and upwards.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:35 am

I got prescribed minocycline 100mg MR yesterday. I'm already noticing a difference! I had several stubborn spots on my neck, stomach, legs and face and for the first time they are drying up and look much less angry.

I'll keep you all posted. It is difficult not to get excited so early. But we sufferers know our skin so well and we do notice these small changes. Onwards and upwards.

Just a few words of caution. I tried mino before and I took it for 3 months along with birth control and spiro. It completely cleared my severe acne but sad to say it did come back 10 months later. It usually isn't a long term for most of the people on the boards.

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/27/2013 8:20 am

To be completely honest, that's likely a coincidence or purely psychological. Minocycline takes a minimum of a couple weeks to even properly get into your system. It's likely that you're finally feeling better about having taken action against your acne and, because of lessened stress, your acne is subsiding. Having said that, minocycline is relatively effective (especially after a couple of months), but there is ALWAYS a danger of your body gradually building a resistance to it. The first time I took mino, it cleared me very, very well. The second time (my current course), it took much longer to even start making a difference. These are just things to consider. Good luck with your journey!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 06/27/2013 8:57 am

Yes minocycline works very well. It worked for me very quickly as well, and I am only on 50mg a day. I am just scared of it coming back worse after all the horror stories - I'm hoping the fact that I'm on a low dose will help.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 9:17 am

I was on Mino twice (50mg). First time was the best. My skin was gorgeous. Not a single cyst appeared. 2nd time around it didn't work. sad.png And my cysts came back even worse. I used to only get one small cyst a month before I started and only on the area beside my lips. Now I get tons of them on my forehead, bridge of my nose, under my nose, chin and the area beside my lips. So, in the long run, it did't work for me but it could work for you. I read reviews about people who never got a cyst again after they got off mino.

I just discovered Apple Cider Vinegar and it has helped my cysts go away fast. Instead being stuck with cysts for 2-8 weeks, they only live on my face for 2-3 days and no scarring!

Here are pics. As you can see, I have 3 cysts in one spot. Before Mino, I would've had one.

ACV will not prevent them from appearing but it cuts their lifespan dramatically!

For some reason, my pics are coming out flipped. Before is with the cysts and after is the clear skin

post-152731-0-23546600-1372342530_thumb.

post-152731-0-96966700-1372342542_thumb.

post-152731-0-19712800-1372342552_thumb.

post-152731-0-23546600-1372342530_thumb.

post-152731-0-96966700-1372342542_thumb.

post-152731-0-19712800-1372342552_thumb.

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 5:26 pm

What do you do with the cider vinegar apply it or drink it?

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:07 pm

I spot treat. I use a q tip to apply it to each cyst. I read about people who applied ACV to their entire faces and that made them break out more. I don't want to take that chance. Also, you're supposed to dilute it but I don't. I did a test before I applied it to my other cysts to make sure it wouldn't burn my skin (since I was using it full strength).

Some people drink it but I think it's so gross and it's so strong so it could burn your esphogus and wear out the enamel on your teeth. Even if diluted (at least that's what I read).

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/28/2013 1:36 am

To be completely honest, that's likely a coincidence or purely psychological. Minocycline takes a minimum of a couple weeks to even properly get into your system. It's likely that you're finally feeling better about having taken action against your acne and, because of lessened stress, your acne is subsiding. Having said that, minocycline is relatively effective (especially after a couple of months), but there is ALWAYS a danger of your body gradually building a resistance to it. The first time I took mino, it cleared me very, very well. The second time (my current course), it took much longer to even start making a difference. These are just things to consider. Good luck with your journey!

I hear what your saying. But at the grand old age of 41 having had this condition since I was 11 I know when something's working or not. I've not noticed a difference like this before. Antibiotics do not take "a couple of weeks" to get into your system, they are for acute infection. I have a degree in physiology. How come I've never had the "psychological healing" before? I've gone to the doctors many times and came back with many things.

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:11 am

I hear what your saying. But at the grand old age of 41 having had this condition since I was 11 I know when something's working or not. I've not noticed a difference like this before. Antibiotics do not take "a couple of weeks" to get into your system, they are for acute infection. I have a degree in physiology. How come I've never had the "psychological healing" before? I've gone to the doctors many times and came back with many things.

Hah, I do not mean to discredit your degree in physiology at all with my comment. Every single time I've visited a dermatologist and discussed prescriptions, the claim has been that antibiotics will not make a difference immediately. Acne is such a stubborn disease that it's truly a miracle if you found something that works to clear you in a few days. I wish I'd find such a drug as well!

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:43 am

Hah, I do not mean to discredit your degree in physiology at all with my comment. Every single time I've visited a dermatologist and discussed prescriptions, the claim has been that antibiotics will not make a difference immediately. Acne is such a stubborn disease that it's truly a miracle if you found something that works to clear you in a few days. I wish I'd find such a drug as well!

Depends on whats causing the Acne. Ive seen people with skin infections in casualty, a few hours on an intravenous antibiotic and it reduces dramatically. I'm basically saying my spots are dryer than they were and only one new one has formed which is VERY unusual.