Notifications
Clear all

Help Me Find A Good Makeup!

MemberMember
(@jesi005)

Posted : 06/26/2013 7:12 pm

Hi, im new to this site and decided to check it out. I have had acne all my life. Been on all types of treatments....antibiotics,birth control pills,all types of topical creams,i had a dozen chemical peels,microdermabrasion,3 laser treatments for scarring, 3 rounds of ACCUTANE! Its been a challenge getting my skin under control. I have yet found a good makeup that wont make me break out and help ease my acne prone skin. Does anyone have a brand they know of that can possible help my skin heal?

Thanks! =)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/29/2013 5:21 pm

Hi there,

Have you tried vitamin D3 supplements? If not, definitely give them a try- taking vitamin D3 has stopped me breaking out completely!

As for makeup, a foundation I swear by which has never broken me out is Lancome Teint Miracle. I love it as it has a dewy, skin like finish, it contains SPF, it's sheer but buildable and stays on all day.

I've also just bought the YSL Touche Eclat foundation which gives a beautiful natural finish but I literally just got it today so can't judge it yet on whether it might cause breakouts. I'm told its gel and waterbased so hoping it won't be a skin aggravator.

For a cheaper option, I really like the Healthy Mix range by Bourjois. The concealer, foundation and powder all worked a treat for me- no breakouts.

Makeup/ products to avoid (in my opinion):

MAC foundations

Creme Blushers

Revlon Colourstay foundation

Too much moisturiser on the skin before foundation

Estee Lauder Doublewear

Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/29/2013 7:14 pm

I'd suggest looking into a more 'natural' makeup, like Alima Pure. I recently started using it and it hasn't broken me out at all, and trust me, every normal foundation (high-end or drugstore) breaks me out because my skin is so sensitive. The foundation only has around four ingredients and no nasty chemicals which is great for my acne-prone/sensitive skin.

You can get samples of their foundation for $1.50 too, so you could always try before you buy :)

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:15 am

I use Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer and it's fantastic - doesn't clog my pores and covers extremely well without looking cakey. I use MAC Studio Fix powder on top, but I know MAC can make some people break out (it doesn't for me).

Overall, I would recommend using a concealer + a powder. Liquid foundation can be kind of suffocating for your skin.

MemberMember
(@roes797)

Posted : 07/24/2013 10:24 pm

There is a fondation by Hourglass called the Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation. It's very good for oily skin, and dries to a nice powder finish. It claims to prevent acne, and offers other beneficials to your skin. This is good if your acne is healing and don't have a whole lot to cover since this is only a medium-light coverage. Which I personally prefer to avoid a cakey face. You can always go in with a higher coveraged foundation or concealer on top such as the MAC Prolong Wear foundation/concealer or Cover FX Creme Foundation. :)

MemberMember
(@aidezmoi)

Posted : 09/28/2013 3:40 pm

Whatever you do do NOT use clinique! I've used it for years, from the super balanced to the acne solutions and it just makes acne worse! I've been using Lancome teinte idole and it's been working but I'm still searching for something that isn't too much money! good luck!

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 09/29/2013 4:43 am

I still recommend LRP toleriane fluid as my ultimate foundation to cover acne without ever breaking me out for way over 10 years. If you apply it they way I described it the thread " foundation on the regimen", it lasts for a looong time. It is very rich in pigments and hardly any other stuff ( no perfumes etc.). It is made for acne- prone skin and therefore the coverage is high to hide blemishes ( which it does effectively).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/04/2013 7:38 pm

I still recommend LRP toleriane fluid as my ultimate foundation to cover acne without ever breaking me out for way over 10 years. If you apply it they way I described it the thread " foundation on the regimen", it lasts for a looong time. It is very rich in pigments and hardly any other stuff ( no perfumes etc.). It is made for acne- prone skin and therefore the coverage is high to hide blemishes ( which it does effectively).

Where do you buy it from? Do you order it online? It seems like a good brand, but I've never seen LRP products in stores in the US.

I use smashbox's liquid halo foundation. I always default back to smashbox after trying out other foundations. It never broke me out, although it's not 100% noncomedogenic. I always ask for samples before buying.

I also sometimes use bare minerals matte foundation (the one without bismuth), lilylolo, and meow cosmetics for mineral makeup and setting powder.

My backup foundation is bourjois healthy mix foundation. it doesn't break me out but can get a bit oily if you don't use a setting powder.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/05/2013 2:08 am

Oh, I am from germany and you can buy avene and LRP here in every pharmacy. Maybe it is also exclusive for pharmacies in the US?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/06/2013 12:23 pm

Oh, I am from germany and you can buy avene and LRP here in every pharmacy. Maybe it is also exclusive for pharmacies in the US?

Hmm I haven't seen LRP in pharmacies in the US, not sure about avene either. But I am going to Europe for xmas, so I will look there for it. I love Germany btw, it's one of my favorite countries wub.png

Btw, another foundation to avoid would be Stila. It covers quite well, but made my skin worse unfortunately. And I also tend to avoid foundations that are medicated because they tend to dry out the skin.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 10/06/2013 1:20 pm

Yes you should be able to get it in most european countries, but both are exclusive to pharmacies. Or at least find your colour and then you can order it via internet. I cannot recommend Germany these days, totally gey and rainy and cold :(