Notifications
Clear all

Small Colorless Bumps All Over Forehead

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I have had small colorless and painless bumps all over my forehead for about 2 years now. They can only be seen well when up close or when the sunlight catches them. The skin on my forehead also feels extremely rough due the size and consistency of these bumps.

I used to have mild to moderate acne, therefore I believed that this condition was just another way that my acne was coming through, however my skin has been almost 100% clear for the past year, yet these bumps/ texture persists, leading me to believe it is not a form of acne.

I have read online about forms of folliculitis and fungal/ yeast related conditions that seem to be extremely similar to my condition based off of descriptions/ images that I've found. Pityrosporum folliculitis is the condition that I have found is most similar to mine based off my internet research.

I'd like to note that I am in the process of getting an appointment made with a dermatologist, however I am asking here anyways because I have seen many cases of misdiagnosed conditions, particular those related to fungus/ yeast. I'm posting this in hopes that somebody who has first-hand experience with this condition can instantly identify it and maybe even give me some advice in helping to treat it.

In the mean time, I plan to switch brands of shampoo, start exfoliating and improving my diet (I know these things may not help, but they're things that are probably not a bad idea to do regardless)

I have attached several images of the affected area that I hope are of decent enough quality to help somebody identify this condition.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help. I know that I am on an acne forum and I explicitly say that I don't believe that it's a form of acne, however I'm not completely sure, and if it isn't, it is very similar and seems to be easily misdiagnosed as acne, therefore I'm hoping that somebody has experience with it. If I'm in the completely wrong place, feel free to point me in the right direction.

post-211709-0-64034200-1372183423_thumb.

post-211709-0-81802500-1372183425_thumb.

post-211709-0-96660900-1372183429_thumb.

post-211709-0-17533900-1372183432_thumb.

post-211709-0-40632300-1372183434_thumb.

post-211709-0-36680800-1372183437_thumb.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:38 pm

do they itch?

do u have sugar or dairy?

they could be clogged pores too.

folliculitis is another option!

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:43 pm

They are not itchy, and yes I do eat dairy and sugar, but not in what I believe to be excessive amounts. I will try to exclude them from my diet to see if there is any improvement.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 2:08 pm

please do.

stop dairy and limit sugar to least amount.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/25/2013 5:08 pm

Now that I think about it, it does get slighlty itchy, but almost exclusively during humid weather/ when I'm sweating.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/26/2013 11:52 am

Now that I think about it, it does get slighlty itchy, but almost exclusively during humid weather/ when I'm sweating.

It could be due to your hair. If your hair is constantly on your forehead and you sweat a lot. That can cause a fungal infection. Use a dandruff shampoo on your forehead. Let it sit for 15-20 mins and wash off with tepid water. Do not apply any lotion or cream unless its an anti fungal topical. Do that for a couple weeks and see if you get results. If no results are seen then its closed comedones.

Closed comedones are like a blackhead only the opening of them is to small to get light in and oxidize. So they just stay as a little pinkish white bump on the skin. They're hard to get rid of unless you use a chemical peel on them or have them extracted. Don't attempt to do that yourself. See an derm or esthetician.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/26/2013 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, a.p. Much appreciated!

One small question: I normally use a gentle cleanser (Spectro Jel) in the morning and before bed. When applying the anti-dandruff shampoo to my skin, should I do my standard cleansing before or after applying the shampoo, or should I skip out on my standard cleanser completely and use the shampoo in its place?

Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for the advice, a.p. Much appreciated!

One small question: I normally use a gentle cleanser (Spectro Jel) in the morning and before bed. When applying the anti-dandruff shampoo to my skin, should I do my standard cleansing before or after applying the shampoo, or should I skip out on my standard cleanser completely and use the shampoo in its place?

Thanks so much.

You're welcome!

Yea just replace the spectro jel with the dandruff shampoo.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:47 pm

I've also read a bit about Nizoral shampoo and the effectiveness of it with fungal conditions. I assume the application of it would be similar to using another dandruff shampoo except I would leave it on for a bit less time (assuming that it's more potent)? Any info on that would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/27/2013 4:03 am

scalpe is good.

its got more than one active ingredients.

a.p. liked
MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/27/2013 9:58 am

Hey I have these too! I have done a lot of research and thought mine were a form of folliculitus - I tried anti-dandruff shampoo for a week (usually takes around 5 days for fungal infections to clear apparently) but with no results. I have also used tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar but they made very little difference so now I'm trying distilled witch hazel so I'll let you know if it's effective (at the minute it seems to be pushing the bumps to the surface :| ). I only started developing the bumps when I stopped using benzoyl peroxide (4% strength discontinued) so I'm guessing that will reduce them if you haven't given it a try? I know how you feel though, it feels horrible when I run my hands over my skin :( Let me know what your derm says, I'd be interested to see what is suggested.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:45 am

Hey I have these too! I have done a lot of research and thought mine were a form of folliculitus - I tried anti-dandruff shampoo for a week (usually takes around 5 days for fungal infections to clear apparently) but with no results. I have also used tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar but they made very little difference so now I'm trying distilled witch hazel so I'll let you know if it's effective (at the minute it seems to be pushing the bumps to the surface :| ). I only started developing the bumps when I stopped using benzoyl peroxide (4% strength discontinued) so I'm guessing that will reduce them if you haven't given it a try? I know how you feel though, it feels horrible when I run my hands over my skin :( Let me know what your derm says, I'd be interested to see what is suggested.

Those are most likely closed comedones. They're really hard to get rid of. The only things that I found that work are salicylic acid,jessners peel, sulfur ointment(makes them come to a head) and extractions. Extractions work the best for me. All the other things work but they cause them to become inflamed and painful. I found that extractions get all the solid mater out pretty good and they go away.

Extractions have to be done properly though. You have to get every single bit of gunk out of that pore or else it will just fill back up again. Find a good esthetician in your area.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:52 am

elliew8,

When you tried the dandruff shampoo, did you apply it directly to your skin or just wash your hair with it? Also, did you stop using it immediately after those 5 days didn't begin to show results?

If that product you're using now is pushing them to the surface, I would imagine that to be a good thing (in the end, of course). Let me know how that goes.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this site for linking to other sites, so I apologize if this isn't allowed: I came across this page [Edited link out] the other day because I noticed that the picture looks identical to what I have. It says that it's a contact dermatitis and that "a corticosteroid cream cleared the rash". I know skin disorders can be extremely difficult to identify but upon seeing this one and reading what small information is on that page, I got a strong feeling that it was this.

It's probably going to be a couple months before I actually get to see the dermatologist. I only just got my referral which means probably a couple months of waiting. I definitely will post updates in here when I'm finally able to go though.

Good luck and hope to hear some updates.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:53 am

I've also read a bit about Nizoral shampoo and the effectiveness of it with fungal conditions. I assume the application of it would be similar to using another dandruff shampoo except I would leave it on for a bit less time (assuming that it's more potent)? Any info on that would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

Yea I just recommended that to a women recently. I told her to leave it on for like 15 mins. I guess if your skin becomes to dry from leaving it on that long you can reduce the time and leave it on for 10mins. I'm not really an expert on fungal infections but, I did get ringworm once(gross I know) and I used tinactin anti fungal cream and it went away in two days. So if this is going to work for you, you should see results rather quickly.

DonDonATL liked
MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/27/2013 11:00 am

a.p.,

Can you describe the extraction process to me, along with the follow-up? If it turned out to be a case of closed comodones, I'm worried that getting a treatment like that done would leave my skin looking awful for a little while before it heals, and possibly interfere with work and other social encounters (a price that I could handle for a short while if necessary, I'm just mostly curious how my skin would look after the process and how long it takes to heal).

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Also to a.p.,

I just bought some Nizoral 2%. I've read about people using both 1% and 2%, and I would normally start with a less potent version but they only had 2%. From your knowledge, is it safe to leave that strength of it on for that amount of time? I just don't want to be kicking myself because I've gotten ahead of myself and done further damage.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/27/2013 1:15 pm

On 6/27/2013 at 9:52 PM, NLKing said:

elliew8,

When you tried the dandruff shampoo, did you apply it directly to your skin or just wash your hair with it? Also, did you stop using it immediately after those 5 days didn't begin to show results?

If that product you're using now is pushing them to the surface, I would imagine that to be a good thing (in the end, of course). Let me know how that goes.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this site for linking to other sites, so I apologize if this isn't allowed: I came across this page [Edited link out] the other day because I noticed that the picture looks identical to what I have. It says that it's a contact dermatitis and that "a corticosteroid cream cleared the rash". I know skin disorders can be extremely difficult to identify but upon seeing this one and reading what small information is on that page, I got a strong feeling that it was this.

It's probably going to be a couple months before I actually get to see the dermatologist. I only just got my referral which means probably a couple months of waiting. I definitely will post updates in here when I'm finally able to go though.

Good luck and hope to hear some updates.

Contact dermititis is what was suggested to me but thats for my bumps that are temporary.they'd come and do at their own whim.and may be leave a few bumpy area sometimes.i am not sure if urs is dermtitis.

but these are clogged pores, a.p is right swap ur regular wash with a bha or aha wash.(preferably of low % since u will use it twice daily)

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:02 am

Hi NLKing,I used to have something quite like what you have: small bumps on my forehead that stuck around for 2 years. Mne were a bit more severe though. I finally figured out it was fungal related by coming to this website (derms were no help at all I'm afraid!). I've been using Nizoral shampoo 2% as my morning and evening cleanser for around 5 years now. I usually let it sit between 3-10 minutes, but I occasionally let it sit for much longer (like 45 minutes) if I get caught up in something, with no ill effects. I find it very gentle. It cleared me up in about one to two weeks. I keep using it because I;m very prone to this thing reoccuring.

I would recommend you try it- it's the best way to diagnose yourself in my opinion. even after I told my dermatologist I thought it was fungal, she didn't think so. It was only after I came back with a clear forehead that she admitted her mistake.

Good luck!

Michali liked
MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/28/2013 11:34 am

Hi akko,

First of all thank you so much for taking the time to write that out. It was extremely helpful and has given me a much more positive outlook on the situation if it is, after all, a fungal condition.

Naturally I have a lot of questions in regards to using the Nizoral shampoo. I hate to ask you to take your time to answer these, but it would really add to the comfort of starting to use it. Feel free to skip questions or ignore them completely, but just know that any that you do answer will be unbelievably appreciated and make this much less nerve-wracking to me.

Can you please describe, in detail, the process of using Nizoral as a cleanser to me? Do you only apply it to your forehead or just wash the entire face with it? Do you work it into a lather? Did you start at 2% or do you feel that could damage my skin? Did you use it morning and night, every day, immediately when you started using it? For the beginning of use, would you recommend using my normal cleanser immediately before or after application of the Nizoral, or not at all? Were there any negative effects from using Nizoral at any point?

I have also heard about treatments for fungal related conditions losing their effectiveness over time. Do you rotate with another product? Did your dermatologist prescribe you with something once you proved to her that it was fungal? Or is there something else you've included in your lifestyle that you believe has helped maintain your skin? Any other advice on this matter?

I know 5 years ago is a long time, but if you have any other small tips for someone that is just starting to use it it would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks so so much for your reply and anything else you choose to reply to out of these questions. Like I said, you have already provided me with a more positive outlook on the situation and I can't thank you enough.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:33 pm

a.p.,

Can you describe the extraction process to me, along with the follow-up? If it turned out to be a case of closed comodones, I'm worried that getting a treatment like that done would leave my skin looking awful for a little while before it heals, and possibly interfere with work and other social encounters (a price that I could handle for a short while if necessary, I'm just mostly curious how my skin would look after the process and how long it takes to heal).

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Also to a.p.,

I just bought some Nizoral 2%. I've read about people using both 1% and 2%, and I would normally start with a less potent version but they only had 2%. From your knowledge, is it safe to leave that strength of it on for that amount of time? I just don't want to be kicking myself because I've gotten ahead of myself and done further damage.

Thanks.

I don't think either will irritate you. Start with the 1% if you have sensitive skin if not 2% should be okay.

Splash your face with warm water. I would just lather your whole face up and let it sit for like 10-15mins. Wash off with tepid to warm water and pat face dry with a clean towel each time(just to be safe). You might be fine using the same towel morning and night but dont use a towel two days in a row.

That's it, pretty simple. Do that for two weeks and see if you get results.

As for extractions. Yea your face will be a little red the day of and look normal the day after if done correctly.

A comedone extractor is usually used and is a little uncomfortable.

A good esthetician will usually

1: steam your face or cleanse and apply a salicylic acid solution to soften the skin.

2: start the extracting with the comedone extractor tool.

3: maybe wipe face with some sort of toner or antibacterial solution and send you off.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:35 pm

Thank you so much, a.p. Fantastic advice/ info, I really appreciate it.

Do you think it is okay to immediately start using it everyday, both morning and night? I only ask because on the box it recommends only using it 1-2 times a week, but these directions seem to be for it's treatment of dandruff.

I'm just a little paranoid about damaging my skin, if you couldn't already tell haha.

MemberMember
(@jollygirl21)

Posted : 06/02/2014 3:24 pm

I used this and within two days about 50% cleared up on my forehead so far. I do it at night. I use nothing else. I do makeup in the morning, light bronze then time for night I apply , let dry and wash off. I use no moisturizers or other creams.

MemberMember
(@nlking)

Posted : 06/14/2014 8:08 pm

Jollygirl21,

When you say you used "this", what are you referring to?

MemberMember
(@divareal)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:26 am

Hi Nlking,

If they are not a fungus, which u can find out by using nizoral cream or ketaconazal (???) Then its probably just acne. I get those bumps whenever i eat gluten or milk ! Its a reaction to something you are putting in ur body that is causing a rash. Do you have abdominal cramps or pain as well ?? I eat gluten and lactose free (no milk) and put clindamycine lotion + differin gel om top if it every night. Whenever i eat someting with gluten or milk however, the next days they start to come back again !!! And it takes foreverrrrrr for them to go away, but they will eventually disappear. Salicylic acid may also speed up the proces. So for me its food intolerance, you can try to cut out gluten and milk containing products and give it a month. Or get yourself tested for food intolerances , maybe you have a different intolerance.

Good luck with them. I know how annoying they are but there is a solution.

MemberMember
(@jody20)

Posted : 09/16/2014 4:24 am

Hi

I have the same problem for years now and I don't know what the cause is.

Will anti dandruff shampoo work?

What can I use?

MemberMember
(@jody20)

Posted : 09/16/2014 4:27 am

Hi

I have the same on my forehead for years now what can cause it?