Notifications
Clear all

It's Not The End Of The World.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:39 am

Ok, I'd like to start off by saying, I suffered from acne at a pretty young age. I KNOW the scars go deeper than just your skin. Acne had really shaken my self confidence for a brief period in my life. It seemed like the more I tried to make it better, it got worse. I would cry and cry, wishing I could just be somebody else and not have to worry. So basically, I'm in your boat. I know how it feels to have acne. It's devastating.

I also understand the need to rant and just get your feelings out. Trust me, I've done that plenty of times on this website.

With all that being said, I for one have learned that fear and complaining will not get you clear skin. I see people on here practically begging for attention, saying "Things will NEVER get better," "I just want to die", "It's hopeless," "Acne is STUPID".... Now I can't tell you what to feel, but I can tell you right now that these words will NOT produce the results you want.

These claims are a sign of depression, you should see a doctor.

If someone offers you a hand, take it. Don't shoo them away and complain that they don't understand you. Don't make your acne anyone's problem but your own. If you complain to your mom that your acne won't go away, what do you think she's going to do? She's going to tell you it's fine, or not to worry. She might try to help you with some products or comfort you. She's not a genius, she doesn't know how to read your mind, all she wants to do is see you happy. SHE DOESN'T DESERVE to see her child suffer like this. So don't make it her problem.

Now, let me get one thing strait: IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT that you have acne. You can't blame yourself, or anyone else for it. It just happens, it's a part of life.

Skincare is about hard work, research, devotion, and faith. Don't cry like a helpless infant until somebody offers you a magical potion that will clear your skin. You have to dedicate your own time and energy into finding a cure for your acne. This site is great because the people here are very helpful and offer very good advice. The reviews section is also wonderful. Remaining optimistic is your best bet, I'm telling you,

YOU MUST HAVE A POSITIVE OUTLOOK TO RECEIVE A POSITIVE OUTCOME. Things will get better! It may not seem like it now, but they will. Keep your head up, and don't let acne define you. Don't let it be who you are. Don't let it control your life.

if you ever want to talk about anything, I WILL BE HERE. Feel free to ask questions.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:57 am

Thank you. I understand venting about acne, particularly on our bad skin days, but the posts where people talk about wanting to die are just too much. I definitely believe if you feel that way you should be seeing a therapist, not posting about it on a forum. Really the only choice we have is to either live happily with acne, or live unhappily with acne. If we strive to live happily, then we'll have happier lives until our skin eventually clears up or gets better. I've hit rock bottom before with both my skin and my mental state and I can definitely say things always get better. There's a light at the end of the tunnel...you just have to be patient for it and in the mean time, don't let acne stop you from living.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:18 pm

I just want to point out that not everyone can "see a therapist." I live in America, where we aren't given health insurance. I suffered from severe body dysmorphia, depression and an eating disorder related to my acne. I was very suicidal and at times, this forum is all that kept me alive. Many of us have NO ACCESS to therapy or antidepressant medication. So don't say that people coming in here and talking about wanting to die is "too much." It may be the only lifeline a person has.

Cyberpile liked
MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/25/2013 4:31 pm

I just want to point out that not everyone can "see a therapist." I live in America, where we aren't given health insurance. I suffered from severe body dysmorphia, depression and an eating disorder related to my acne. I was very suicidal and at times, this forum is all that kept me alive. Many of us have NO ACCESS to therapy or antidepressant medication. So don't say that people coming in here and talking about wanting to die is "too much." It may be the only lifeline a person has.

The only lifeline...not your family, or a close friend, or even the suicide hotline? There's also social workers who will provide therapy at much cheaper costs or, if it's an emergency, even for free.

I'm not saying you can't post whatever you want on this forum. You can. I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and OCD all closely related to my skin/acne. When it got really bad, I did come here, but what helped me the most was getting help in person. People can only say so much here when someone is acting suicidal, and can only do so much as well.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/25/2013 5:39 pm

I am very sorry that you had to experience such horrible things, I sincerely wish you the best and I hope you are feeling better now, I am so glad that this forum has helped you. However, just remember that all this negativity isn't going to help anyone else going through the same thing. People who are on these forums are often looking for inspiration, something motivating... or a place to let out their feelings. Both are perfectly fine. I'm not bashing people who need to let off a little steam, we all do it, myself included. All I'm saying is, try to have a positive outlook if you can. It will really help you in the long run, and faith is really the only thing some of us have left.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply, your feedback is appreciated. Best of wishes!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/25/2013 6:27 pm

Thank you. I understand venting about acne, particularly on our bad skin days, but the posts where people talk about wanting to die are just too much. I definitely believe if you feel that way you should be seeing a therapist, not posting about it on a forum. Really the only choice we have is to either live happily with acne, or live unhappily with acne. If we strive to live happily, then we'll have happier lives until our skin eventually clears up or gets better. I've hit rock bottom before with both my skin and my mental state and I can definitely say things always get better. There's a light at the end of the tunnel...you just have to be patient for it and in the mean time, don't let acne stop you from living.

I'm glad you agree. We can flood this forum with positivity, and hopefully help some people that are suffering! Acne is going to be on our face, we can choose to complain about it or do something. I too believe that acne shouldn't stop you from living. I know plenty of wonderful, lovely people that I care about very much with acne, and you know what? I barely notice it on them. It doesn't effect the way I view them whatsoever. The reason that is, is because they don't let it stop them from having a good time.

If I could make one point very clear to anyone that is suffering with acne, I'd say, you're worth it. Acne doesn't make you who you are. So, today, get out, go shopping, go sight seeing, reach out to a friend you haven't seen in awhile. If you laugh, have a good time, and forget about your acne. LIVE, dont just exist.

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 06/25/2013 6:55 pm

Word - check my thread out and contribute there. I'd like to add your opinion to the discussion. It's called "Overwhelming Negativity..."

MemberMember
(@cinnamon-girl)

Posted : 06/25/2013 11:19 pm

Inspiring post! Not only with people who are undergoing acne, but as well trials in life. Thank you for this. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@ansia)

Posted : 06/26/2013 3:53 am

Thanks for the post!

It's true. Acne will pass and it's not the end of the world!

Every time I get to the mirror without makeup there's always a little voice that says 'what is wrong with you?' but then I think 'I may have bad skin now, but as long as I'm young I will probably continue having bad skin. And nobody is going to stop me from enjoying my youth!'

And I smile again :)

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:06 am

Acne itself is depressing and the funny thing is the only cure for acne is accutane which increases anxiety/depression even more. So its like a double whammy.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/26/2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the post!

It's true. Acne will pass and it's not the end of the world!

Every time I get to the mirror without makeup there's always a little voice that says 'what is wrong with you?' but then I think 'I may have bad skin now, but as long as I'm young I will probably continue having bad skin. And nobody is going to stop me from enjoying my youth!'

And I smile again smile.png

I'm glad that you liked my post! I definitely agree that acne shouldn't be able to destroy our youth. I encourage everyone to stay strong and optimistic, set goals for yourself, occupy yourself with the hobbies and things you love to do. Negativity will get you nowhere. Edison failed many times to make a successful lightbulb, but he never gave up. :)

Inspiring post! Not only with people who are undergoing acne, but as well trials in life. Thank you for this. rolleyes.gif

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could inspire someone. The day I decided that acne wasn't going to rule my life was the best decision I've ever made. :)

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/26/2013 12:15 pm

The only lifeline...not your family, or a close friend, or even the suicide hotline? There's also social workers who will provide therapy at much cheaper costs or, if it's an emergency, even for free.

I'm not saying you can't post whatever you want on this forum. You can. I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and OCD all closely related to my skin/acne. When it got really bad, I did come here, but what helped me the most was getting help in person. People can only say so much here when someone is acting suicidal, and can only do so much as well.

If you know of one of these free sources for therapy, specifically, please share it here. Because I've not heard of such a thing.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/26/2013 1:11 pm

If you know of one of these free sources for therapy, specifically, please share it here. Because I've not heard of such a thing.

NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) has grassroots organizations all over the country that helps locate affordable therapy, counselors, centers for mental illness, among other things such as mental illness awareness. Universities often have counseling centers that offer therapy free of charge to their students or sometimes alumnae, if it's an emergency. If you're part of a church, churches can either offer counseling for free or help locate other counselors.

It's difficult to find FREE therapy (like I said, I think it would really only apply to emergency cases). There are, however, many centers that provide therapy on a sliding scale, meaning it differs on what they charge you, but it's a lot cheaper than a normal therapist. It depends on your income and your situation, but just Google centers in your area and you can find them. You can get as cheap as $10 - $15 per session.

Financially, also, there comes a time where you have to realize your mental health is important enough to spend at least SOME money on.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:58 pm

Ok, I'd like to start off by saying, I suffered from acne at a pretty young age. I KNOW the scars go deeper than just your skin. Acne had really shaken my self confidence for a brief period in my life. It seemed like the more I tried to make it better, it got worse. I would cry and cry, wishing I could just be somebody else and not have to worry. So basically, I'm in your boat. I know how it feels to have acne. It's devastating.

I also understand the need to rant and just get your feelings out. Trust me, I've done that plenty of times on this website.

With all that being said, I for one have learned that fear and complaining will not get you clear skin. I see people on here practically begging for attention, saying "Things will NEVER get better," "I just want to die", "It's hopeless," "Acne is STUPID".... Now I can't tell you what to feel, but I can tell you right now that these words will NOT produce the results you want.

If someone offers you a hand, take it. Don't shoo them away and complain that they don't understand you. Don't make your acne anyone's problem but your own. If you complain to your mom that your acne won't go away, what do you think she's going to do? She's going to tell you it's fine, or not to worry. She might try to help you with some products or comfort you. She's not a genius, she doesn't know how to read your mind, all she wants to do is see you happy. SHE DOESN'T DESERVE to see her child suffer like this. So don't make it her problem.

Now, let me get one thing strait: IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT that you have acne. You can't blame yourself, or anyone else for it. It just happens, it's a part of life.

Skincare is about hard work, research, devotion, and faith. Don't cry like a helpless infant until somebody offers you a magical potion that will clear your skin. You have to dedicate your own time and energy into finding a cure for your acne. This site is great because the people here are very helpful and offer very good advice. The reviews section is also wonderful. Remaining optimistic is your best bet, I'm telling you,

YOU MUST HAVE A POSITIVE OUTLOOK TO RECEIVE A POSITIVE OUTCOME. Things will get better! It may not seem like it now, but they will. Keep your head up, and don't let acne define you. Don't let it be who you are. Don't let it control your life.

if you ever want to talk about anything, I WILL BE HERE. Feel free to ask questions.

Very severe acne can not be managed by good skin care and hardly anyone has every "cured their acne". They either grow out of it or go on accutane. If you're one of these types that thinks using "the regimen" and eating a vegan dairy/gluten free diet will manage acne then you've never had it in a severe strain.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/26/2013 9:34 pm

Very severe acne can not be managed by good skin care and hardly anyone has every "cured their acne". They either grow out of it or go on accutane. If you're one of these types that thinks using "the regimen" and eating a vegan dairy/gluten free diet will manage acne then you've never had it in a severe strain.

I had very bad acne and the regimen definitely has helped me. It was huge, deep cystic lumps that would last for months and months and were severely painful. Now I'm pretty much clear or 99 percent clear all of the time. It just look a really long time. Maybe 6+ weeks of doing the regimen religiously.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:56 am

How else are you supposed to manage severe acne? If you claim that eating very healthy and taking care of your skin won't clear acne, what does? Hmm? Accutane? Not everyone can be on Accuntane, and not everyone can grow out of it. Many people have severe acne even in their 40's! Eating a double cheeseburger in your car when you didn't wash your face that morning and you're crying that you have crappy skin isn't going to help either. If you're the type of person that stereotypes all acne sufferers based on your own personal experience, I honestly feel sorry for you.

Before you go bashing these acne treatments maybe you should do some research. "Accuntane and "Growing out of it" aren't always the case. Ever heard of birth control, laser treatments, antibiotics?

You can't speak for everyone; you can't say that being vegan/gluten free has never helped anyone's acne, and you can definitely not say that the regimen hasn't worked for anyone - because it worked for me, and so many other people on this site. I am sorry that you are so frustrated, I hope you find an effective way of treating your acne (if you have it) I really wish you the best.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/27/2013 5:47 pm

How else are you supposed to manage severe acne? If you claim that eating very healthy and taking care of your skin won't clear acne, what does? Hmm? Accutane? Not everyone can be on Accuntane, and not everyone can grow out of it. Many people have severe acne even in their 40's! Eating a double cheeseburger in your car when you didn't wash your face that morning and you're crying that you have crappy skin isn't going to help either. If you're the type of person that stereotypes all acne sufferers based on your own personal experience, I honestly feel sorry for you.

Before you go bashing these acne treatments maybe you should do some research. "Accuntane and "Growing out of it" aren't always the case. Ever heard of birth control, laser treatments, antibiotics?

You can't speak for everyone; you can't say that being vegan/gluten free has never helped anyone's acne, and you can definitely not say that the regimen hasn't worked for anyone - because it worked for me, and so many other people on this site. I am sorry that you are so frustrated, I hope you find an effective way of treating your acne (if you have it) I really wish you the best.

I no longer have acne as I grew out of it with age. I had it severely from age 11-23 and did every treatment under the sun (conventional dermatology, hollistic, skin care, hormonal treatment) and nothing made a difference as it was very deep in the skin and couldn't be treated topically and never responded to diet or lifestyle changes. I was prescribed Accutane but couldn't complete the course of the drug because for some reason or other I was getting cluster headaches/severe migraine with aura while being on the drug which I never experienced before so I decided not to continue.

What I meant to say is that truly aggressive acne is really difficult to treat as it's not like the other types and usually has a genetic basis that you honestly can't control.