Notifications
Clear all

Genuine Derma Roller

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/24/2013 8:39 pm

I think I've read all the derma rolling/needling related comments on acne.org. I understand some people feel its a scam. I know that many find success doing it themselves at home and don't think it's worth paying a derm, etc. I realize some people feel it's made their scarring worse. All of the different viewpoints have been valuable in my research.

However, I'd really like to hear from anyone that has had Genuine Dermaroller treatments. How many sessions did you have? What kind of scarring do you have? When did you really see a difference in you skin, especially related to atrophic/indented scarring? Are you happy with the results? Do you think the improvement is permanent?

Any feedback on 'professional' derma rolling treatments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you...and thanks to acne.org for always being a source of strength for me, especially on days that I've felt very alone in my battle with acne & scarring.

MemberMember
(@oopli)

Posted : 06/24/2013 9:09 pm

I think I've read all the derma rolling/needling related comments on acne.org. I understand some people feel its a scam. I know that many find success doing it themselves at home and don't think it's worth paying a derm, etc. I realize some people feel it's made their scarring worse. All of the different viewpoints have been valuable in my research.

However, I'd really like to hear from anyone that has had Genuine Dermaroller treatments. How many sessions did you have? What kind of scarring do you have? When did you really see a difference in you skin, especially related to atrophic/indented scarring? Are you happy with the results? Do you think the improvement is permanent?

Any feedback on 'professional' derma rolling treatments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you...and thanks to acne.org for always being a source of strength for me, especially on days that I've felt very alone in my battle with acne & scarring.

heres a before and after of genuine dermaroller from a book on scarring, you can download the whole chapter here, it has more info and pics

http://www.4shared.com/office/NqWWvokV/chap_1.html

2wpowua.jpg

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/25/2013 4:21 am

I have had 5 sessions of the Genuine Dermaroller and can tell you that it has significantly reduced my scarring and has lead to me finally having a happier life! smile.png I'm not finished with my acne scar journey but I am close.

To answer your questions:

1. I had 5 treatments with a medically trained esthetician. The needle length was 1.5mm (192 needles, German-made original Dermaroller wink.png) and each session was spaced 6-8 weeks apart.

2. I have/had boxcar and rolling scars. I'd say, before treatment, I would class them as being moderate to severe.

3. I honestly did not notice much in the way of improvement after the first two sessions but I stuck with it. It wasn't until about 5 weeks after my third treatment that I finally saw results, and they were staggering! My skin is still improving and it has been a few months since my last treatment.

4. Yes, the results are permanent. But like everything in our body as we age our skin will deteriorate so I do plan on having at least 3 Dermaroller treatments per year for as long as I can afford it. smile.png

5. I am utterly happy!

Just so you know, unlike home treatments and treatments with rip-off devices there have been no negative side effects ever reported by patients who have been treated with the Original Dermaroller. smile.png

I am now looking into the eDermastamp by the same company, to treat isolated scarring that is left. Pick my brains about the Dermaroller treatments any time!

xx

aquasea liked
MemberMember
(@oopli)

Posted : 06/25/2013 7:51 am

I have had 5 sessions of the Genuine Dermaroller and can tell you that it has significantly reduced my scarring and has lead to me finally having a happier life! smile.png I'm not finished with my acne scar journey but I am close.

Ive been thinkingof trying it..are they pretty aggressive?..how long is the downtime?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/25/2013 9:33 am

Quirky Fox, many thanks for your response. You really have given me hope!

With respect to your scars, have you actually had some 'fill' up to the point were they aren't noticeable anymore? Where did you find you had the most success (i.e. cheeks, temples, etc)?

I realize that collagen renewal takes time so the improvement doesn't really happen overnight but when you say that you started seeing results around "5 weeks after the 3rd treatment", was it literally over a matter of days when 'poof' something happened and you saw a change? Was there a significant improvement all at once?

And if you don't mind me asking, what is your age range? I am in my mid thirties so I believe my collagen production has started to slow down a bit sad.png

Also, thanks for your honest answer re: time to see results/improvement. There is so much (mis)information online, it's hard to know what to believe! Some websites promise results in 6 weeks which seems unbelievable to me. I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. I don't care if it takes time...I just care if it works.

Good luck on the rest of your healing journey!

MemberMember
(@pursuit-of-happyness)

Posted : 06/25/2013 11:30 am

hi DJM204

first, micro needling is not a scam , but sometimes ,some people don't see results early, and they give up , it's not like lasers , lasers maybe give you a quick results due to ablating and heating scar tissue unlike needling ,it's just penetrate to dermis and stimulate collagen production ,and here the mechanism will take some time ,i think you must also look at dermapen, in the dermapen"s site , they seek to provide dermapen RF , it's microneedling "by electric stamping" with radiofrequency , http://www.dermapenworld.com/products/dermapen-rf.html , i think that's will be more effective..

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/27/2013 1:14 am

Ive been thinkingof trying it..are they pretty aggressive?..how long is the downtime?

I have a full time job under harsh office lighting so downtime was a huge issue for me. For each treatment I took a Friday off work and was ready to go back to work on the Monday. So, three days of "downtime". It wasn't really downtime though as I felt kinda comfortable going out anyway. Unlike lasers my skin was just a bit red/pink and slightly puffy... no horrible skin peeling etc to deal with. After 1 week you could never tell that I had anything done to my face.

As for aggressiveness... I was stepped into it. So the last treatment was more aggressive. The biggest thing is that the esthetician treating you knows how much pressure to apply to the roller. So my last treatment was a little more painful (nothing unbearable... lasers? I wanted to scream!) but I think we could all put up with a little bit of something uncomfortable if it meant that our skin would be better! :D

Quirky Fox, many thanks for your response. You really have given me hope!

With respect to your scars, have you actually had some 'fill' up to the point were they aren't noticeable anymore? Where did you find you had the most success (i.e. cheeks, temples, etc)?

I realize that collagen renewal takes time so the improvement doesn't really happen overnight but when you say that you started seeing results around "5 weeks after the 3rd treatment", was it literally over a matter of days when 'poof' something happened and you saw a change? Was there a significant improvement all at once?

And if you don't mind me asking, what is your age range? I am in my mid thirties so I believe my collagen production has started to slow down a bit sad.png

Also, thanks for your honest answer re: time to see results/improvement. There is so much (mis)information online, it's hard to know what to believe! Some websites promise results in 6 weeks which seems unbelievable to me. I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. I don't care if it takes time...I just care if it works.

:) Yes, some scars have gone poof! Mostly my shallow rolling scars have disappeared. My scars are confined to my cheeks so I'm sorry but I can't comment on the effectiveness in other areas of the face. Certainly though, the more fleshy parts of my cheeks have responded better than the bonier parts.

What I tried to do was not stare at my face every night but more once a week. So I inspected my face every Friday night and will be honest and say that after the first few months I was wondering if I was spending my money wisely. I then decided to not look closely at my skin for a while... and when I braved the mirror again around 5 weeks after my third treatment I broke down crying, lol. It was there! Real results right before my eyes... it took time but it was finally there. Then I just got excited and my life basically turned around for the better at that point. :)

I was 27 when I had my treatments, am 28 today (happy birthday to me!) and I believe that my skin will only keep getting better the more I stick with this regime. You're correct, collagen production does slow down naturally but this is where the Dermaroller will save you. It will promote/force your body to create more collagen as your body is responding to a "wound" so it's definitely worth the shot!

So very smart to be realistic about expectations! REAL estheticians will love you for it as they know how long it takes for their clients to see the results they're after. There is no quick fix that will yield permanent long term results. xx

hi DJM204

first, micro needling is not a scam , but sometimes ,some people don't see results early, and they give up , it's not like lasers , lasers maybe give you a quick results due to ablating and heating scar tissue unlike needling ,it's just penetrate to dermis and stimulate collagen production ,and here the mechanism will take some time ,i think you must also look at dermapen, in the dermapen"s site , they seek to provide dermapen RF , it's microneedling "by electric stamping" with radiofrequency , http://www.dermapenworld.com/products/dermapen-rf.html , i think that's will be more effective..

Exactly, patience is key! :)

aquasea liked
MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/27/2013 8:58 am

smile.png Yes, some scars have gone poof! Mostly my shallow rolling scars have disappeared. My scars are confined to my cheeks so I'm sorry but I can't comment on the effectiveness in other areas of the face. Certainly though, the more fleshy parts of my cheeks have responded better than the bonier parts.

What I tried to do was not stare at my face every night but more once a week. So I inspected my face every Friday night and will be honest and say that after the first few months I was wondering if I was spending my money wisely. I then decided to not look closely at my skin for a while... and when I braved the mirror again around 5 weeks after my third treatment I broke down crying, lol. It was there! Real results right before my eyes... it took time but it was finally there. Then I just got excited and my life basically turned around for the better at that point. smile.png

I was 27 when I had my treatments, am 28 today (happy birthday to me!) and I believe that my skin will only keep getting better the more I stick with this regime. You're correct, collagen production does slow down naturally but this is where the Dermaroller will save you. It will promote/force your body to create more collagen as your body is responding to a "wound" so it's definitely worth the shot!

So very smart to be realistic about expectations! REAL estheticians will love you for it as they know how long it takes for their clients to see the results they're after. There is no quick fix that will yield permanent long term results. xx

Hope you had a great birthday!!

My scars are also on my cheeks (shallow to moderate on the 'fleshy' parts) so now I'm really feeling positive!

Yesterday, I had appointments with three different places, only two of which offered dermarolling (not many places offer it here). The non-dermarolling cosmetic dermatology centre went straight to laser (but this really isn't the route I want to go). The other two places (one cosmetic derm centre and one plastic surgeon/medical esthetics office) offer all kinds of stuff, including lasers, but they both recommended dermarolling (Genuine Derma Roller smile.png).

I know what you mean about REAL estheticians. I met one yesterday and I felt so confident that she has my best interests at heart that I booked my first treatment for next Thursday! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the hard part will be to stay out of the mirrors analyzing my face to death while I wait for results!

Oopli, I'll report back on my first treatment so you get another person's experience.

MemberMember
(@frasier)

Posted : 06/27/2013 10:01 am

What I tried to do was not stare at my face every night but more once a week. So I inspected my face every Friday night and will be honest and say that after the first few months I was wondering if I was spending my money wisely. I then decided to not look closely at my skin for a while... and when I braved the mirror again around 5 weeks after my third treatment I broke down crying, lol. It was there! Real results right before my eyes... it took time but it was finally there. Then I just got excited and my life basically turned around for the better at that point. smile.png

It really touched my heart to read this. I am very, very happy for you :) 🙂 I have been doing dermarolling for about 5 weeks now and started to lose faith, but you got my hopes up again.

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:40 pm

hi DJM204

Hi Pursuit of Happiness :)

Yes, I agree, micro needling really works!!! I hope more people try it...it's so simple and so effective!!!!!

However, beware of "radiofrequency"...I nearly considered a procedure using this technology but stopped when I read the many negative reviews (burned skin/ pigmentation/ dry skin/ damaged skin etc).

Cheers :)

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/28/2013 5:12 am

smile.png Yes, some scars have gone poof! Mostly my shallow rolling scars have disappeared. My scars are confined to my cheeks so I'm sorry but I can't comment on the effectiveness in other areas of the face. Certainly though, the more fleshy parts of my cheeks have responded better than the bonier parts.

Hope you had a great birthday!!

My scars are also on my cheeks (shallow to moderate on the 'fleshy' parts) so now I'm really feeling positive!

Yesterday, I had appointments with three different places, only two of which offered dermarolling (not many places offer it here). The non-dermarolling cosmetic dermatology centre went straight to laser (but this really isn't the route I want to go). The other two places (one cosmetic derm centre and one plastic surgeon/medical esthetics office) offer all kinds of stuff, including lasers, but they both recommended dermarolling (Genuine Derma Roller smile.png).

I know what you mean about REAL estheticians. I met one yesterday and I felt so confident that she has my best interests at heart that I booked my first treatment for next Thursday! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the hard part will be to stay out of the mirrors analyzing my face to death while I wait for results!

Thank you for the birthday wish! :)

I am so excited for you, I truly am! I hope that your esthetician is as dutiful and passionate about your skin as mine is. They are rare though, so if he/she is a keeper then never let them go, hehe! I'm glad that there are actual clinics out there that offer the Genuine Dermaroller even though they also do lasers. I think, in the right hands, lasers do work... but finding those hands is way too hard. There doesn't seem to be a governing "body" that regulates exactly how all the laser devices are to be used (i.e. formal training and compulsory refresher courses etc) but there is with the Dermaroller! :)

Patience, patience is your best friend. I won't lie, some days it was hard to imagine that my skin would ever look any better. Those days are behind me! They will be behind you soon too.

Please keep us posted. I would love to hear how you go!

xx

It really touched my heart to read this. I am very, very happy for you smile.pngsmile.png I have been doing dermarolling for about 5 weeks now and started to lose faith, but you got my hopes up again.

Thank you! I am just happy to be able to report back with something that works for our skin. 5 weeks is still baby steps! You will get there, keep at it. I truly believe that giving up is not an option. xx

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/05/2013 8:22 am

First treatment done! Not bad at all Oopli. I wouldn't exactly call is pleasant but it's definitely tolerable if you have numbing cream applied pre-treatment. My face is quite red today, especially the isolated scars that were stamped, and I wouldn't have gone to work like this, but I imagine it will be back to normal within a day or two. I think that the hylauronic acid mask that was applied post-treatment really helped with the redness.

Quirky Fox, did you have a lot of 'microswelling'? I've read so many accounts of people having swelling that 'filled' in their scars (albeit temporarily). This isn't the case with me. I have all the other telltale signs of a successful treatment (i.e. 'sunburnt' face) but for the most part, I can still see my scars. Should I be concerned?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 07/05/2013 8:36 am

First treatment done! Not bad at all Oopli. I wouldn't exactly call is pleasant but it's definitely tolerable if you have numbing cream applied pre-treatment. My face is quite red today, especially the isolated scars that were stamped, and I wouldn't have gone to work like this, but I imagine it will be back to normal within a day or two. I think that the hylauronic acid mask that was applied post-treatment really helped with the redness.

Quirky Fox, did you have a lot of 'microswelling'? I've read so many accounts of people having swelling that 'filled' in their scars (albeit temporarily). This isn't the case with me. I have all the other telltale signs of a successful treatment (i.e. 'sunburnt' face) but for the most part, I can still see my scars. Should I be concerned?

Yay! I'm glad you had it done! :D

I would definitely not be concerned. I had some microswelling but it was very minimal and it went down within three days anyway. Everyone's skin reacts differently and you may find that the more treatments you have the more "aggressive" your esthetician is, therefore, in future treatments you may see more microswelling. Swelling is not an indication of how good your outcome will be. :) Redness is a good sign but that will fade in the next few days. In a week you may find yourself looking at your old skin again but don't despair. All the work is still being done deep in your skin so you won't see results for a while yet. Patience is key! I am excited for you! x

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 07/07/2013 6:04 pm

I have a full time job under harsh office lighting so downtime was a huge issue for me. For each treatment I took a Friday off work and was ready to go back to work on the Monday. So, three days of "downtime". It wasn't really downtime though as I felt kinda comfortable going out anyway. Unlike lasers my skin was just a bit red/pink and slightly puffy... no horrible skin peeling etc to deal with. After 1 week you could never tell that I had anything done to my face.

As for aggressiveness... I was stepped into it. So the last treatment was more aggressive. The biggest thing is that the esthetician treating you knows how much pressure to apply to the roller. So my last treatment was a little more painful (nothing unbearable... lasers? I wanted to scream!) but I think we could all put up with a little bit of something uncomfortable if it meant that our skin would be better! biggrin.png

>Quirky Fox, many thanks for your response. You really have given me hope!

hi DJM204

Exactly, patience is key! smile.png

Hello. i just wanted to know.

What's the difference between a professional doing it vs doing it yourself.

I know when it's professional they go crazy about hygeine, but that's it.

And for the pressure,

Cant i just adjust my pressure depending on what my skin feels and what i hear (the popping noise of scar tissue breaking)?

I'm planning to use a dermastamp cause from my research, it is safer though it is ideal for isolated scars.

I dont plan on using any needle longer than 1.00mm though just to be safe.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/07/2013 7:17 pm

I think the advantage of a professional treatment has to do with the shape, quality and safety of the roller/stamp needles. Is it just marketing hype? Maybe. But maybe not. And I don't want to find out the hard way. Also, with all of my research, I found the success of Genuine Dermaroller treatments to be far more consistent than home rolling. I also prefer that someone else does it; someone who is able to help me care for my skin pre and post treatment.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 07/09/2013 12:19 am

Well, i only have isolated scars though plus im just a student so i got no money to keep doing this treatments.

No choice for people like me :(

Can't i just buy a good dermastamp?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/09/2013 8:11 am

Yeah, I'm paying almost $600 CAD per treatment so I can see how that might be hard to swing for a student.

I don't have any experience with DIY rolling but I've read many success stories on acne.org and elsewhere. Some of the other threads on this forum might be more useful to you.

Good luck and be careful!

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 07/13/2013 1:49 am

Well, i only have isolated scars though plus im just a student so i got no money to keep doing this treatments.

No choice for people like me sad.png

If they offered us home use lasers would you consider them to be the same? I doubt it.

Home treatments are not the way to go. Ever. The Dermaroller (genuine) has been studied in depth as to how big the barrel should be, how long the needles should be, how many needles are required (a precise 192), how long to wait between sessions, the rolling technique and the after-care products.

All home rollers are cheap copies that will never give you the same results as a genuine Dermaroller treatment. Even the genuine Dermaroller's home roller is not intended for scarring but for product penetration and nothing else.

You need numbing cream so that you're not in pain, the right length needle (1.5mm for scarring), the genuine Dermaroller and a technician who has been trained to use it. It might be your face, but you're not the one with the knowledge to know how much pressure to put behind the roller. wink.png

My esthetician has shown me photos of some of the skin she has treated where people have tried to use home rollers... one in particular was very scary and involved a Staph infection. Even if you think the roller, your face and area is sterile, it may not be. If it sounds like I am trying to scare you off home treatments, then you are correct. I shudder when I hear of people treating themselves.

Yes, it's sad that it costs so much but if I were in your position I would save up and get proper treatments rather than waste my hard earned money on home treatments that will likely do nothing. But, I am not you so in the end the decision to treat yourself is up to you. Just be wise about your choices!

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 07/13/2013 3:46 pm

No choice for people like me sad.png

If they offered us home use lasers would you consider them to be the same? I doubt it.

Home treatments are not the way to go. Ever. The Dermaroller (genuine) has been studied in depth as to how big the barrel should be, how long the needles should be, how many needles are required (a precise 192), how long to wait between sessions, the rolling technique and the after-care products.

All home rollers are cheap copies that will never give you the same results as a genuine Dermaroller treatment. Even the genuine Dermaroller's home roller is not intended for scarring but for product penetration and nothing else.

You need numbing cream so that you're not in pain, the right length needle (1.5mm for scarring), the genuine Dermaroller and a technician who has been trained to use it. It might be your face, but you're not the one with the knowledge to know how much pressure to put behind the roller. wink.png

My esthetician has shown me photos of some of the skin she has treated where people have tried to use home rollers... one in particular was very scary and involved a Staph infection. Even if you think the roller, your face and area is sterile, it may not be. If it sounds like I am trying to scare you off home treatments, then you are correct. I shudder when I hear of people treating themselves.

Yes, it's sad that it costs so much but if I were in your position I would save up and get proper treatments rather than waste my hard earned money on home treatments that will likely do nothing. But, I am not you so in the end the decision to treat yourself is up to you. Just be wise about your choices!

Hello!

This is not an attack on you. I just want to hear your opinion about this thread.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/293715-attention-to-those-that-have-used-or-are-using-a-dermaroller-dermastamp/

If you read all of them, most of them got good results. Some, to my suprise, are even so uncareful when it comes to their roller/stamps' hygeine.

If home treatments are so bad like what you are saying, then why are they getting good results or even minimal results/improvements?

Again, this is not an attack, i'm just a curious person and all i want to do is learn. :)

Thanks for your time :)

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/14/2013 8:42 am

I don't think Quirky Fox was saying that you won't get any results from home rolling but instead, that you'll get much better results with professional treatments. Plus, and more importantly, professional treatments come with far less risk (ie infection, bent needles, needles breaking off in your face, etc).

No, not all home rolling ends up being a horror story but it does happen. This is a real risk that Quirky Fox and myself aren't willing to take.

Since you said that you have isolated scarring, perhaps you can find a clinic that will do just a (Genuine) dermastamp? It will be a lot cheaper than a full face roll.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/14/2013 10:04 am

No one on this forum, besides Quirky Fox, has tried Genuine Derma Roller treatments? Really?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 07/14/2013 2:11 pm

yea, lol, about 97% did it at home.

Im not planning on using anything longer than 1.5mm but im doing a 1.00mm first which means less risk. Just to see how i react and after 6 months and i see good results then i switch to a 1.5mm.

I plan on being very cautious on cleaning and checking for bent needles too.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/23/2013 1:29 pm

Question for you Quirky Fox....

Given my scarring is mild to moderate, my esthetician has speculated that 3 treatments will likely suffice. Of course, she never made any promises...this is just what she estimated when I pressured her for an answer (my bad, I know!).

Anyhow, the office is doing a promo right now - Buy 3, Get 1 Free + 3 free glycolic peels. They've never done it before and It seems like too good a deal to pass up. However, it is a lot of money to dish out up front, espcially when it's too early to see any results from my first treatment (which was almost 3 weeks ago now). Plus, it would get me 5 treatments, 2 of which I might not even need (although I suppose I could always use them for maintenance purposes).

What do you think? Should I go for it? I know you said that you started seeing results after the 3rd treatment. Did the 4th and 5th provide significantly more visible improvement on the scars?

Thanks!!!!!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/28/2013 6:46 am

http://www.4shared.com/office/NqWWvokV/chap_1.htm

2wpowua.jpg

I've always been very skeptical of dermarolling, however, these pictures are very compelling. The thing that is notable to me is that her skin is normal, not red or inflamed, which leads me to believe that they were taken some time after treatment (after microswelling has gone away). These seem like stable results and not just swelling. Also, very importantly, the lighting is consistent. The improvement is really remarkable. In

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 07/31/2013 6:08 pm

From what i understand, scars are poreless and has no oil gland. But it looks like in the picture that they do have pores. I have a hypertrophic dogbite scar so I can tell it's different.

I dont think dermarollers/stamps damage the skin a lot for the skin to rush the healing process therfore creating scar tissue.

But oh well, im not a doctor or scientist so I may be wrong.

Yea i heard Cora therapy too and it sounds promising. But unfortunately, it is only available in Korea. sad.png

I also read that they basically create scar tissue underneath the atrophic skin to raise it up.

Oh and, i have a favor to ask. I hope you dont mind.

Do you know the details of the dermaroller/stamp that they used in the picture? And how long is the wait between treatments? How much treatments received?