Notifications
Clear all

Oil Cleansing Method - Ruined My Skin And Now I Can't Fix It No Matter What I Do! Please Help!

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 06/23/2013 7:58 pm

Hello everyone!

Thank you for stopping by this post! This is my first post on Acne.org and I can't believe it's taken me this long. I need help guys, so badly. In about October 2012, I read about the Oil Cleansing Method and before doing any sort of thorough research, I began the method. I am very interested and involved in natural and homeopathic remedies so I was thrilled when I discovered this! Within two months, my skin was as awful as it's ever been. Bumps and cystic acne EVERYWHERE. I initially thought it was the purging process but after about three months, I couldn't continue. It was when my coworkers (NOT the nicest women) began pointing it out, asking me rudely "if I've ever seen a dermatologist", and I went home crying that I couldn't bare this cleansing method anymore. I stopped the Oil Cleansing Method and returned to my ever faithful Proactiv system. Now, Proactiv has never actually completely cleared my skin but it's been much better than anything else out there. Except now that I've quit the oil cleansing treatment, it's not really working. Things got slightly better when I first started with Proactiv again but now it's not working. Clay face masks that once helped clear my skin don't work either. I'm currently covered with rolling scars and dark marks (hyperpigmentation from the scarring) and many, many continual pimples-both regular and cystic. I changed my diet and cut out both gluten and dairy, started incorporating much more fresh vegetables, and stopped drinking anything alcoholic except for an occasional glass of red wine. Nothing I'm doing helps my skin so I'm very concerned that I ruined the PH balance in my skin. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone ever experienced this and can offer any help? I don't go out and do anything social anymore because I don't want to meet anyone with this horrific skin. It's ruining my life and I will do ANYTHING to get it better.

Please help!!! I greatly appreciate any responses smile.png Thank you!

Lisa Taylor, Trucker girl, Ja Han and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@dee3)

Posted : 06/23/2013 9:09 pm

Hey, I read someone elses post on here that they used the OCM and ended up with a load of clooged pores and acne. She used retin a and 50mg spiro to get clear. It took her about 7 months to clear but it did work. If you have cysts it will be probably better to treat it internally at the very least. I'd say if antibiotics have not worked, then go for spiro or accutane as those are most likely to work. What ever will clear you will take a few months for the cysts to go, so give it time x

smarie23 liked
MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/06/2013 10:37 am

OMG this is my story exactly! I started OCM in February. I continued doing it for 2 1/2 months even though I was breaking out like crazy! I thought it was my skin purging. Finally I couldn't take it and returned to using proactiv which has always worked for me. I've been back on proactiv for 2 months and my skin looks HORRIBLE still! I don't want to leave the house! You are not alone. I wish I had never heard of the oil cleansing method!!!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 07/06/2013 9:58 pm

Yes the oil cleansing method ruined my skin also. I got on the regimen (from this site) and now I'm clear.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/07/2013 9:56 am

When I go to the grocery store with my bf, every time, without fail, as we pass the oil section he still points to the coconut oil and says, 'Hey, remember when you rubbed that on your face? Remember what happened?!' By now, he is so bored with, and numb to my endless crazy skin experiments, it surprises me that he remembers this one! I guess his memory of my skin after that experiment is the litmus test to say that the OCM with coconut oil was by FAR, the worst breakout I've ever experienced in my life. That was in February 2013, it took 2 months for the clogged pores & cysts to clear up.

I had to do a gentle, thorough, intense pore exfoliation/degunking treatment for quite some time. I still follow the degunking routine, as I think I taught my pores a bad habit when I let the coconut oil ravage my skin...now they clog up so quickly if I give a little slack on the exfoliation/degunking. Here's a link to the routine I followed to pull my skin out of the OCM coconut oil disaster. :)

Major degunking session:

http://m.delphiforums.com/gardenofwisdom/messages?msg=5302.6

Simple degunking session:

http://m.delphiforums.com/gardenofwisdom/messages?msg=8545.1

*The forum from which these links are taken is associated with Garden of Wisdom-an all natural, inexpensive product line that I have been using since the OCM disaster. I DIG their mandelic acid! (I could go on and on about several more of their products, but that's for another post!)

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 07/09/2013 5:55 pm

AGH!! I've had the exact same issue. I used ocm somewhat regularly (ie. more or less every day) back in May and the beginning of June. I noticed more and more clogged looking pores around my mouth but I guess I figured it would heal up after the purported "purging" period. Anyway, eventually I stopped because I realised it was just getting worse (about a month ago). Right now I'm left with the clogged pores (thankfully only in my mouth area and not all over), some of which have become inflamed and are super red and awful :(

I ordered Paula's Choice CLEAR acne kit. I'm hoping it will help me out.... Meantime I'm using a mild cleanser (SpectroJel) and a Kiehl's clay masque every morning. I'm pretty sure the masque helps with my redness, and I guess patience is key here, but I'm having a lot of confidence issues because of this awful mistake.

As much as it comforts me to know others are going through similar issues from ocm, I'm sorry it's had to affect anyone. My skin was more or less clear before I tried it, and now it's worse than ever and I'm spending more time worrying and more money treating it than I wish I had to...

MemberMember
(@tex67sun)

Posted : 07/11/2013 10:16 pm

So sorry smarie, I hope your skin gets better fast! I had one of my worst breakouts from some cover girl makeup that had myristate something or other in it and I remember how awful it was :( just all of a sudden and worse than I had ever seen my skin. I could not WAIT to get past that. I just threw out that makeup and continued with my current regimen and all went back to normal over a week or so. If I could pick a gentle cleanser now to calm skin like that it would have to be the Burt's bees line. I use the sensitive cleanser but if you read reviews a lot of their cleansers get great reviews from acne prone people just because it DOES allow your skin to stay at a normal pH. It has a lot of beneficial ingredients in it and nothing that should aggravate you more. It's super gentle and moisturizing. That's what I would try.

The oil cleansing method worked for me but the first and only oils I tried seem to work for more people than olive oil or coconut oil which seem to be the top oils mentioned on introductory how-to's and I don't know why. I used grapeseed oil and sunflower oil (very close to safflower oil) and while I decided not use OCM as a sole way to clean (time consuming, went through so many washcloths lol) I still use the mix of those oils as makeup remover, I add some to my toner, and I have used it as a moisturizer too. My skin was so healthy using OCM. I guess I got really lucky. I would not use oils from a grocery store unless it was whole foods and the oils were all organic and expeller pressed oils. I did a lot of research before choosing my oils.

You never know what makes the difference but in case someone looking to do OCM reads this, it did work for me and my skin loved it. I think you just have to find the right oils and for many acne sufferers it's not in olive or coconut oils. I used a small amount of castor oil too, not a lot at all.

You're right, it does take patience and it is the worst waiting game. You'll get through it though and leave this all behind. Crossing my fingers for you that your new regimen will solve it quickly!

zaichik and ChaiSpice liked
MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 07/17/2013 4:22 am

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for following up with me. This has been a truly awful experience for me and it's really nice to hear that most have you have gone through very similar experiences! I would like to say that ideally, I'd like to start on an all natural method for my skin. I know that's a little difficult for the circumstances but I really do and would appreciate any further responses from people who have gone through similar experiences! I stopped the OCM a while back and am now back to my routine of Proactiv but my skin is still AWFUL. As in, I used to be mostly confident and very social and now I make excuses as to why I NEVER see my friends, family, or anyone outside of my normal routine of college classes and the grocery store. If anyone has ANY advice, I mean ANY, please share! Anything helps, even a friend to talk to in a similar situation!

Thank you all so much :)

Hey, I read someone elses post on here that they used the OCM and ended up with a load of clooged pores and acne. She used retin a and 50mg spiro to get clear. It took her about 7 months to clear but it did work. If you have cysts it will be probably better to treat it internally at the very least. I'd say if antibiotics have not worked, then go for spiro or accutane as those are most likely to work. What ever will clear you will take a few months for the cysts to go, so give it time x

I greatly appreciate your response Dee3 :) I actually saw my Derm recently and she said I should start the Spiro as well due to my hormonal acne. I've definitely considered it but have been nervous to begin the medication as I prefer to maintain a natural regimen-if possible! I definitely won't do Accutane as the consequences sound MUCH WORSE than the temporary resolution but again, I really thank you for responding to my post. Anything helps at this point :)

OMG this is my story exactly! I started OCM in February. I continued doing it for 2 1/2 months even though I was breaking out like crazy! I thought it was my skin purging. Finally I couldn't take it and returned to using proactiv which has always worked for me. I've been back on proactiv for 2 months and my skin looks HORRIBLE still! I don't want to leave the house! You are not alone. I wish I had never heard of the oil cleansing method!!!

You are my soul sister Alisonp27! I feel as though we are in the same exact boat. I HATE myself for trying the OCM. It has completely ruined my life in more ways than I can explain :( it's really nice to know that someone is out there who feels the same. I too am back on my faithful Proactiv and I too am getting no where :( that's why I think the OCM has screwed up my PH balance or something of the sort because Proactiv normally works relatively well (aside from the dry skin and small problems that I wish were the only dilemma right now) but I am getting NO WHERE as well! My skin just seems absolutely messed up from this. Have you found any sort of resolution since your post? Keep me posted! It's great having someone to talk to about this! :)

Dee3 liked
MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/17/2013 10:54 am

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for following up with me. This has been a truly awful experience for me and it's really nice to hear that most have you have gone through very similar experiences! I would like to say that ideally, I'd like to start on an all natural method for my skin. I know that's a little difficult for the circumstances but I really do and would appreciate any further responses from people who have gone through similar experiences! I stopped the OCM a while back and am now back to my routine of Proactiv but my skin is still AWFUL. As in, I used to be mostly confident and very social and now I make excuses as to why I NEVER see my friends, family, or anyone outside of my normal routine of college classes and the grocery store. If anyone has ANY advice, I mean ANY, please share! Anything helps, even a friend to talk to in a similar situation!

I greatly appreciate your response Dee3 :) I actually saw my Derm recently and she said I should start the Spiro as well due to my hormonal acne. I've definitely considered it but have been nervous to begin the medication as I prefer to maintain a natural regimen-if possible! I definitely won't do Accutane as the consequences sound MUCH WORSE than the temporary resolution but again, I really thank you for responding to my post. Anything helps at this point :)

You are my soul sister Alisonp27! I feel as though we are in the same exact boat. I HATE myself for trying the OCM. It has completely ruined my life in more ways than I can explain :( it's really nice to know that someone is out there who feels the same. I too am back on my faithful Proactiv and I too am getting no where :( that's why I think the OCM has screwed up my PH balance or something of the sort because Proactiv normally works relatively well (aside from the dry skin and small problems that I wish were the only dilemma right now) but I am getting NO WHERE as well! My skin just seems absolutely messed up from this. Have you found any sort of resolution since your post? Keep me posted! It's great having someone to talk to about this! :)

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/17/2013 11:26 am

Hey everyone,

Eustaquio liked
MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/17/2013 11:49 am

Smarie23 I feel ya! My skin is ruling my life these days! I feel so self concious talking to people face to face. Especially in natural light! I can hardly even bring myself to look in the mirror without makeup on! I did find something that's helping though! It's the regimen from this sight (acne.org). Im using cetaphil at night to get the makeup off, then follow with proactiv toner and benzoyl peroxide.( I use a LOT of the BP) Then in the morning I use the proactiv cleanser (being very gentle, not scrubbing at all) and follow again with the toner and BP. After the BP soaks in about 10 minutes then I moisturize. You are just basically being really gentle so you don't aggravate your skin at all. After about a week my skin looked 50 times better! I resisted the urge to scrub, pick, or use masks ( all things i had been doing in my desperate attempt at clear skin).Then I made the mistake of thinking I could do a good exfoliation. My skin flared right back up again. So I'm in the process of trying to get it under control again and this time i wont deviate from the system. Try it and please let me know how it's going! Its the only thing that has given me some hope!

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 07/17/2013 9:12 pm

Smarie23 I feel ya! My skin is ruling my life these days! I feel so self concious talking to people face to face. Especially in natural light! I can hardly even bring myself to look in the mirror without makeup on! I did find something that's helping though! It's the regimen from this sight (acne.org). Im using cetaphil at night to get the makeup off, then follow with proactiv toner and benzoyl peroxide.( I use a LOT of the BP) Then in the morning I use the proactiv cleanser (being very gentle, not scrubbing at all) and follow again with the toner and BP. After the BP soaks in about 10 minutes then I moisturize. You are just basically being really gentle so you don't aggravate your skin at all. After about a week my skin looked 50 times better! I resisted the urge to scrub, pick, or use masks ( all things i had been doing in my desperate attempt at clear skin).Then I made the mistake of thinking I could do a good exfoliation. My skin flared right back up again. So I'm in the process of trying to get it under control again and this time i wont deviate from the system. Try it and please let me know how it's going! Its the only thing that has given me some hope!

Oh wow!! Congrats on your discovery!! I have been looking into starting the regimen but have also been so apprehensive about trying ANYTHING new after the OCM situation :( Did you purchase the acne.org brand of benzyl peroxide or do you use a different kind/brand? I definitely agree with the gentle process of things as well. I know that any sort of scrubbing and serious exfoliation causes flare ups but I've just been so scared to deviate away from my Proactiv!! Damn you OCM! I think I'm going to look into this though and possible start it myself after hearing about your fantastic experience :) thanks again so much for sharing your journey with me. I hope we both find our way to clear skin soon!!!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/17/2013 10:32 pm

I use the proactiv BP! It's 2.5% just like they recommend.

MemberMember
(@zophy)

Posted : 07/18/2013 4:14 am

So sorry to hear that the OCM is not working out for you cry.gif

This is a general question for all of you who posted about bad experiences with this: did you all use coconut oil or jojoba oil?

I recently started doing this in the mornings (not in the evening as I found that it didn't rid my face of excess makeup). I used 100% organic argan oil for this, and haven't noticed any major changes except perhaps that my skin feels slightly less dry. I use the argan oil together with Dan's regimen. But all your posts about oil causing heavy breakups are kinda scaring me here, as the last thing I want i cystic acne. (I believe I've had my fair share and then some of that, ugh!)

So, if you could please say which oils you'd recommend that people avoid, I'd be very thankful!

Hope you'll all soon be clear of the damage caused by OCM!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 07/19/2013 5:35 pm

So sorry to hear that the OCM is not working out for you cry.gif

This is a general question for all of you who posted about bad experiences with this: did you all use coconut oil or jojoba oil?

I recently started doing this in the mornings (not in the evening as I found that it didn't rid my face of excess makeup). I used 100% organic argan oil for this, and haven't noticed any major changes except perhaps that my skin feels slightly less dry. I use the argan oil together with Dan's regimen. But all your posts about oil causing heavy breakups are kinda scaring me here, as the last thing I want i cystic acne. (I believe I've had my fair share and then some of that, ugh!)

So, if you could please say which oils you'd recommend that people avoid, I'd be very thankful!

Hope you'll all soon be clear of the damage caused by OCM!

I first used a castor oil/ olive oil mix because that seemed to be what was recommended most. After breaking out severely I moved to straight hemp seed oil because it's rated 0 on the comedogenic scale. Then I gave up completely because my skin looked so bad. My skin looked great for about a month after starting OCM. Then the breakouts started and I kept using it thinking it would pass. Beware! If you start getting bumps under the skin stop! Its like my skin is permanently destroyed:(

MemberMember
(@tex67sun)

Posted : 07/20/2013 12:35 am

If you are looking for a more natural route you may be interested in the Burt's Bees line. They even have an acne line. I didn't even try their acne stuff because they have other cleansers that are also very beneficial to skin regardless of acne or not. Plenty of reviews out there of acne prone people finding success with their cleansers in general. I am one of them. It would probably be a good product to use in conjunction with the rest of your regimen. Or they have it all to formulate your own from their products.

I would not use Olive Oil for OCM. The majority of people who have bad experiences with OCM start with Olive Oil. Here is an article someone wrote about trying and troubleshooting OCM. First on the list is no olive or coconut oils.

http://www.crunchybetty.com/trying-and-troubleshooting-the-oil-cleansing-method-tips-for-flawless-oil-cleansed-skin

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:17 am

Hey lady!

Checking in with you to see how your progress is! I'm still using the Proactiv with no avail :( I just don't get it! I was looking at pictures of myself only 2 years ago and my skin was excellent. I really wish I was able to see that back then :( and I was using Proactiv at that point! My skin has actually been great on the Proactiv up until the OCM. Now it's awful :/ I really hope you are finding success with the regimen! I am really contemplating using it but I don't know if I should just try a completely natural and organic route, or try the regimen.

Keep me posted and I'm really crossing my fingers for you! :) good luck!

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 08/06/2013 8:23 am

The regimen might be a good idea for you. I've been "on it" for three weeks now, and while the progress is slow, it is definite. Many of my clogged pores have cleared themselves and now I'm dealing with smaller spots and hyperpigmentation. OCM messed my skin up real good, but it is starting to look normal again!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/06/2013 11:46 am

Hey lady!

Checking in with you to see how your progress is! I'm still using the Proactiv with no avail :( I just don't get it! I was looking at pictures of myself only 2 years ago and my skin was excellent. I really wish I was able to see that back then :( and I was using Proactiv at that point! My skin has actually been great on the Proactiv up until the OCM. Now it's awful :/ I really hope you are finding success with the regimen! I am really contemplating using it but I don't know if I should just try a completely natural and organic route, or try the regimen.

Keep me posted and I'm really crossing my fingers for you! :) good luck!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/06/2013 12:20 pm

I know it's so frustrating! I used to leave the house without makeup all the time. I even quit my gym because I don't want to sweat with makeup on but I won't dare leave the house without it. Ugh!! I've used Proactiv since I was 16 and my skin was always great but it has done nothing for me since OCM destroyed my face. I quit using it altogether. I'm following the regimen religiously now. I am using over the counter products that are on the list of products aporoved for the regimen. My skin is getting better for sure. I still get new pimples daily but they are getting less. And my skin is MUCH less inflamed. I have some hope at least! I'll keep you posted and please keep me posted as well!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/07/2013 4:35 pm

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted :)

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 08/08/2013 11:33 am

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted smile.png

How are your red marks? Or, what do they look like?

For me, the places where I had very big cyst-like spots have really red marks, and not just small circular ones, but big smudge-y looking ones, if that makes sense. Anyway, the skin is definitely flatter than the horrific bumpy mess that was there before, but it's left that area of my face so red and nasty. I'm hoping I haven't done some damage to it some how... making the redness so much worse than usual.

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/09/2013 9:58 am

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted smile.png

How are your red marks? Or, what do they look like?

For me, the places where I had very big cyst-like spots have really red marks, and not just small circular ones, but big smudge-y looking ones, if that makes sense. Anyway, the skin is definitely flatter than the horrific bumpy mess that was there before, but it's left that area of my face so red and nasty. I'm hoping I haven't done some damage to it some how... making the redness so much worse than usual.

My skin tone is just very uneven now. Lots of red spots everywhere and yes I have the big blotchy smudgy looking spots too where I had particularly deep pimples. But at least I can cover it now! Before it was so bumpy there was no hiding it. I'm hoping after my skin is totally back to normal I can add some glycolic acid to my regimen to help even my skin tone but right now I'm too scared. Im just following the regimen precisely. It's the only thing that has helped after OCM completely destroyed my skin!

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:21 am

How long have you been doing the regimen? I'm about three weeks in now, but my face is still breaking out with smaller spots, clearing out all the junk from ocm. I know it's doing something but it's all so horribly red and sore and I just keep crying about it. sad.png It's kind of dry and rough in patches though so I can't cover it all that convincingly.

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/09/2013 11:04 am

It's been close to a month that I've been on the regimen. I started seeing results after about 5 days and then broke out pretty bad again. I think it's because I broke the regimen and did an exfoliation. My skin looked pretty awful after that so I started following the regimen religiously. My skin has finally made HUGE improvements in just the last few days. Just last Saturday I cancelled plans because my skin was so bad. 6 days later I have 2 pimples! I think if you follow through and stick to the regimen exactly you'll see results soon. I'm dying to exfoliate because my skin is a little flaky but I am too scared. I'll take a little dryness over massive acne any day!!