Notifications
Clear all

No Carbs Diet Side Effects? Do I Need To Fear?

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:16 am

Hello. Recently i started no dairy, no-sugar, and no carbs diet. I have seen an improvement, everything's all right. But i'm wondering:

No dairy seems to be clear for me - i'm not a calf. No sugar? I'm replacing it with fruit sugar - fructose - cool.

But no carbs? In the food pyramid Bread, rice, pasta, etc. makes base of pyramid, which means they are most important. Wherever you look you can see people telling that carbs are good for your brain, etc.

So, i'm afraid about my health. I never was fat or over weight. I always have perfect Bmi. But on this diet i lost 5 kg. I used to have 65, now i'm 60 - I have 179cm height

(it's probably, cause i'm eating much smaller. Normally i can eat everything, mix everything, and i do not gain weight. Great genes i think - See my other topic to read more about it) .

I'll gave EVERYTHING to have acne-free skin, but i'm afraid that i'll lose my forces. Help, explain, please. It's important for me.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:26 am

What do you mean by replacing sugar with fructose? Because if you mean you are switching to something like agave, then that isn't cool. If you mean you are eating some fruit, then that would be cool.

Also, grains and beans aren't the definition of carbs. All plant foods contain carbs. So avoiding them doesn't make a zero carb diet. And a no carb diet is bad, to answer the question in the title.

Also, they are the base of the pyramid because they are the cheapest food in our current food industry. Not because they are important. And that pyramid is no longer recommended. If you want to eat grains, ideally make it oats, or grain like seeds like quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth. And only have one or 2 servings per day on average.

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:51 am

1: I mean eating apples, pears, oranges and all kind of sweet, healthy fruits. So it's cool rolleyes.gif

2: So i must eat carbs! Which food that contains carbs, that do not give me acne i can eat? I now for sure that i must stay away from bread, rice, cereal(with milk, mmm... delicious), and pasta.

3:I knew that this whole "food pyramid" matter is deceitful. reffering to my "2" point can you give me some more common examples. I mean - i have never tried quinoa, buckwheat, or amaranth. It's dark magic for me surprised.gif

Thanks for reply, you are helping me a lot.

More generally: Is my diet is ok. Any fixex, ideas? tell me if this thing i'm doing it's ok or not.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 12:20 pm

Completely agree with alternativista above. Besides, a no carb diet would leave you with very few options for what you actually could eat.

Moreover, you definitely need complex carbs for energy, brain power, etc. as they are your body's primary source of fuel.

Here's a list of specific foods highest in complex carbs:

• fruits and vegetables - potatoes, beans, carrots, okra, zucchini, cucumbers, asparagus, grapefruit, prunes, apples, pears, strawberries, sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes.
  • whole grains - brown rice, corn, barley, spelt, oats, buckwheat.
  • nuts and seeds
  • legumes - lentils, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), kidney beans, pinto beans.

At this point I should let you know that for me personally, I try to eat an anti-acne diet of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant rich foods, so I limit my grain and legume intake, but they are great sources of complex carbs.

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/23/2013 12:27 pm

So it's very difficult to have acne free skin, and good health. I assume that all the food you writed above will no trigger acne? Is that right?

You typed potatoes - i've heard that this is bad for acne. It's true? I'm staying away from potatoes for now. I'll wait for more info.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 1:51 pm

So it's very difficult to have acne free skin, and good health. I assume that all the food you writed above will no trigger acne? Is that right?

You typed potatoes - i've heard that this is bad for acne. It's true? I'm staying away from potatoes for now. I'll wait for more info.

Not difficult at all to have clear skin and good health. Precisely the opposite. They go hand in hand. Some of the foods I suggested won't necessarily cause acne (though they may for some people), but they may exacerbate existing acne. Like I said, I try to eat as many anti-inflammatory foods as possible and stay away from highly inflammatory foods, like refined sugars and processed foods. Most 'white' things like potatoes and pasta are treated as sugar in the body. Anti-inflammatory foods are great for your overall health. I basically eat a paleo-based diet with little to no grains or dairy. I eat lots of fish, nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies, and healthy fats like olive oil and avocado. Again, this is my personal preference. It may involve finding what works for you.

Just search online for anti-inflammatory foods and antioxidant rich foods (check their ORAC values) and that will be a good place to start. Broadly speaking, a paleo diet is largely comprised of anti-inflammatory foods. You can view a particular food's inflammation factor on NutritionData.com

Again, these foods will also improve your overall health and strengthen your immune system, among other things. But the takeaway is that you definitely need carbs, preferably complex carbs, and preferably from healthy anti-inflammatory foods.

MemberMember
(@abduliii)

Posted : 06/23/2013 5:18 pm

I would recommend you go on a low glycemic diet. That would mean you are pretty much eliminating anything which will cause your insulin to spike and make your hormones go crazy and produce more oil. when you go on a low glycemic diet, remember that you dont wanna completely keep your body very low on sugar

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2013 9:11 am

So it's very difficult to have acne free skin, and good health

NOT TRUE!!!! Where do people get these ideas? Your body needs to function properly to have clear skin. A truly healthy diet is exactly what you want.

What you want is a healthy lifestyle with natural circadian cycle, stress management, physical activity and a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood-sugar-stabilizing diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for.

if you want to learn about health and clear skin, read the good thins thread. If you just want to be told what to do, skip to this post http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page-8#entry3137395

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2013 1:15 pm

Since you don't seem to know anything about nutrition, I'm going to tell you where to start while you start learning.

Starting right now, today and from now on. Don't drink sugar. No soda, no cappicino/frappacino, no commercially prepared smoothies, no bottled teas, etc. No bottled drinks except water and perhaps a limited amount of beer. And you should avoid bottled water except when necessary. Stay away from the plastic. And don't waste your money. No juices or coconut water unless they are 100% with no added sugar and even then, only have with a meal consisting of fiber and fat to reduce the glycemic impact of the sugars.

Added sugar should be a rare treat.

Avoid, margarine, crisco, vegetable oil, etc. This means avoiding most commercial baked and fried foods, bottled salad dressings, etc

Severely limit pastas and breads and other baked goods and dairy--especially cow, especially unfermented (milk), especially from grain fed cows.

Eat/drink primarily fruit, vegetables especially greens, meat, eggs, small species fish, herbs, spices and teas. Especially eat colorful fruits and vegetables. Nutrients and anti-oxidants tend to be in the color in the flavor. If the flavor is strong enough to be used as a tea or spice, then it's packed with anti-oxidants.

The white varieties of potatoes that we eat in the western world have little nutritional value and then we prepare them in ways that make them even worse for us. Have a sweet potato instead.

The exceptions to the 'avoid white foods' are onions, garlic and cauliflower. And cabbage which is often quite pale, but is still a nutritionally dense food. Not all nutrients and anti-oxidants are colorful.

Read labels. Most of the foods you eat shouldn't have an ingredient list because it should be a whole food, but if you do get something commercially prepared, the list should only include food and spices. And no added sugar of any kind. A jarred pasta sauce label, for example, should read something like 'tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, herbs, oil.' and that's it.

So, that's the basics of how all humans should eat. Once you've made that change, start working on figuring out your personal food issues via methodical elimination. Everyone should test for gluten and dairy intolerance.

Click here for threads with meal suggestion, recipes, alternatives to your refined grain and sugary favorite foods, etc.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/205099-food-recipe-resource/

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:35 pm

Thank you so much. I'm going to sleep now, but i'll focus on this post tomorrow. Good Night,

@Edit

Most kind of you, you're helping me a lot. I just drank spearmint with some earl grey. I'ts good to now that i can drink tea.

How often i can eat sweet potatoes, and

can i eat Rye bread, or wholemeal bread at all. Since i've started my diet i have not eated any kind of bread at all. I can live without it - sure, but i'm only curious.

Anyway, if i ever meet you, i'll hug you as strong as i can, you're doing great job, thanks for support.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/25/2013 7:35 am

Thank you so much. I'm going to sleep now, but i'll focus on this post tomorrow. Good Night,

@Edit

Most kind of you, you're helping me a lot. I just drank spearmint with some earl grey. I'ts good to now that i can drink tea.

How often i can eat sweet potatoes, and

can i eat Rye bread, or wholemeal bread at all. Since i've started my diet i have not eated any kind of bread at all. I can live without it - sure, but i'm only curious.

Anyway, if i ever meet you, i'll hug you as strong as i can, you're doing great job, thanks for support.

You should try avoiding grains, especially gluten grains completely as part of your search for your food intolerances. If you aren't intolerant you can have them but they shouldn't be a big part of your diet. I'd have on average only 1 or two servings of grain per day.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/25/2013 9:53 am

Do some reading on the Paleo diet. Grains are indeed at the bottom of the FDA food pyramid, but maybe the food pyramid is wrong. Going grain-free is the best decision I've ever made for myself.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:04 am

i am waiting for a post on wheat.

but omitting grain completely is not a balanced diet either.

its better to choose a grain thats good or at least gluten free.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:12 am

The idea behind the Paleo diet is that grains aren't really meant to be eaten by humans. If you look into the science of it, it makes sense. Grains don't really have any nutritional value, at least not compared to fruits and vegetables.

All I know is that my whole body improved by cutting grains. Skin (all over), nails, gut, energy... Keep an open mind.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:34 pm

no grain might have done u good but that doesnt mean its the best option.

also,"grains dont have any nutrional value??really?

not all grains are nutrition-less.

grains are good for nervous system and also has many other functions.

rice for example cools and lessens body heat.

plus there are several others which are good to be part of a balanced diet.

keep an open mind!

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/25/2013 3:14 pm

Remember I said "compared to fruits and vegetables". I'm just saying it might be good to try it out, just as a trial. I don't really buy that a low fat, super controlled diet is going to cure anyone's acne. I've been there. It sucked.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/26/2013 1:09 am

most would consider omitting any form of grain 'controlled'.

at least i would!

super controlled diet doesnt work in long run anyway.

so i am glad u dnt follow those.

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:00 am

Remember I said "compared to fruits and vegetables". I'm just saying it might be good to try it out, just as a trial. I don't really buy that a low fat, super controlled diet is going to cure anyone's acne. I've been there. It sucked.

Everyone is different. For me, i see an improvement. I think, that key to win is to: not eat too much. If you're hungry, eat, but not to feel full stomach, just to kill hunger for 2 hours i think. You're saying, that it sucked. Did you stayed out from grains, milk, sugar? No junk food? How long did you last on your diet btw?

You're probably staring at all these people on this so called sea food diet "I see food and i eat it" lol. And they have perfect skin. I'm jealous too. Well, good for them, everybody is different. I'll fight. But I have a choice: Do not care about stupid diet, like these people, Eat everything, at every time, and have acne, or keep on this diet, cure acne, and THEN gradually add some of prohibited food, see what happens, and make my own perfect diet. Pick what you want, for me, diet is cool thing.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/26/2013 7:47 pm

Everyone is different. For me, i see an improvement. I think, that key to win is to: not eat too much. If you're hungry, eat, but not to feel full stomach, just to kill hunger for 2 hours i think. You're saying, that it sucked. Did you stayed out from grains, milk, sugar? No junk food? How long did you last on your diet btw?

You're probably staring at all these people on this so called sea food diet "I see food and i eat it" lol. And they have perfect skin. I'm jealous too. Well, good for them, everybody is different. I'll fight. But I have a choice: Do not care about stupid diet, like these people, Eat everything, at every time, and have acne, or keep on this diet, cure acne, and THEN gradually add some of prohibited food, see what happens, and make my own perfect diet. Pick what you want, for me, diet is cool thing.

Ok, story time! I'll try and keep it shorter than it really should be for the sake of you all, lol.

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT A SOB STORY. I am not looking for sympathy. This is more or less a cautionary tale. I am not blaming this board or any dietary advice for the dumb stuff I did. I am also sharing this because I have seen way too many stories just like mine.

Started getting acne around 12. Started perusing and pondering dietary causes and such around 14. My acne wasn't even that bad, mild, only on my forehead, and persistent. Around 15, I started getting really frustrated and started trying various diets, skin got worse over time. At 16, things started getting serious. My acne had spread all over my face and was severe. I became very strict with my diet; tried vegetarian, pescetarian, vegan, tried eliminating certain foods, etc. Saw some improvement at some points, like when I eliminated gluten and dairy. Skin was still really awful, however, and I became convinced I was simply eating too much. Bad self esteem led to self-disciplinary behavior and whole body image issues (aka, I was skinny but I thought I was not skinny enough and gross in general). Starved and cut myself. Purged when I binged. To make a really long story short, things eventually got a little better, but I didn't fully recover from my disorder until I was 19 and had been in the Navy for around a year.

Now I am almost 21. I follow the Paleo diet, which is really more of a lifestyle. I won't got into too much detail, but my skin is clear and my mental state is stable. Improvement in everything happened when I stopped trying to treat my skin and started trying to improve my life. I just had a kid and went through a ton of hormonal changes and my circadian rhythm is way off but my skin is still clear. My point I guess is that I have a little experience with all these diets and, yes, I found what works for me and it might not work for everyone, but everyone WILL see improvement if they stop obsessing over every single thing they put in their mouths.

MemberMember
(@rhaamzes)

Posted : 06/27/2013 4:11 am

I agree. I never was staring at all those calorie meters, etc. When i'm hungry, i just eat. Not too much. I assume, that thing what i'm doing it's ok. I have some anxiety disorders too. I've noticed that i'm stressed less on my diet. So thanks everyone. Take to mind the freind's post above, and keep happy. hifive.gif