Notifications
Clear all

Need Help On My Acne (Pics)

MemberMember
(@yuze)

Posted : 06/23/2013 12:13 am

Don't know what to do with my face. All I take is fish oil pills. And I also use a bunch of moisturiser to hide my flakey skin during the day.

post-211521-0-03028300-1371964161_thumb.post-211521-0-98575900-1371964186_thumb.

post-211521-0-47130100-1371964214_thumb.post-211521-0-25347500-1371964231_thumb.

post-211521-0-03028300-1371964161_thumb.

post-211521-0-98575900-1371964186_thumb.

post-211521-0-47130100-1371964214_thumb.

post-211521-0-25347500-1371964231_thumb.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:04 am

What's your diet and topical regimen like? And what specific moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@mizz_dimplezz)

Posted : 06/23/2013 7:46 pm

I've tried taking fish oil pills a few times, but each time it broke me out and when I stopped the pimples stopped coming.

MemberMember
(@yuze)

Posted : 06/23/2013 9:07 pm

Lets see I eat about anything but seafood. I dont eat candy or drink soda. I wash my face in the morning using clean and clear deep action exfoliating scrub. Then I put on simple(that's the name) moisturiser. At night I just wash my face with water. I take fish oil pills 2times a day with a meal. Do use hot water a lot.

MemberMember
(@yuze)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:29 pm

Still looking fire help

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/24/2013 5:24 pm

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. It's unfortunate that you don't eat seafood, but it's great that you don't eat candy or drink soda.

Generally speaking, I'd suggest that you eat anti-inflammatory, low glycemic, antioxidant rich foods, drink plenty of water, cut refined sugars and processed foods and drinks, exercise, use a gentle non-drying facial cleanser, a non-drying treatment like AHA and/or low concentration BP, a toner like Thayer's, and be sure to moisturize.

Contrary to popular belief and what dermatologists and skincare companies would have you believe, diet has a huge impact on your skin's health, and obviously your overall health. Acne is largely caused by hormone imbalance and is then exacerbated by subsequent free radicals, oxidative stress, and inflammation at a cellular level, usually from a poor diet and lifestyle.

The only way I finally got clear skin was to take a holistic approach, instead of viewing acne as an isolated, external, singular "disease" like I did for so many years. A combination of exercise, strict healthy diet, natural and gentle topical treatments, and supplementing vitamins and herbs finally allowed me to be acne-free.

Basically, for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant rich foods, I'd suggest more or less a paleo-based diet with little to no grains or dairy, which are highly inflammatory. Lean meats like chicken, pork, turkey, etc., some nuts and seeds, healthy fats like olive oil, and plenty of fruits and veggies. This is how I eat and it has worked very well for me in terms of being acne-free and also just feeling great. Aim for fresh, not processed; as close to the food's original state as possible. Grain-fed meat (most meats in the US and almost all meat at restaurants) like steaks and hamburgers are extremely inflammatory. Grass fed beef on the other hand would be ok in moderation.

Drink plenty of water to keep your body, and consequently your skin, hydrated, and to help detoxify the body.

Most white things like potatoes, pasta, grains, and sugar are highly inflammatory. Dairy is extremely inflammatory too, so I would definitely recommend cutting milk and cheese. I like almond milk and hemp milk.

Cook with organic extra virgin olive oil if using low heat, which is very anti-inflammatory, and grapeseed oil if using high heat (it is tasteless and has a very high flash point). I actually take a shot of olive oil every morning (weird I know). Spices like oregano, rosemary, thyme, cayenne, garlic, clove, black pepper, and turmeric also have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties so I try to incorporate them whenever possible.

For natural topical treatments I'd suggest aloe, sulfur, tea tree oil, sea buckthorn oil, olive oil, lemon juice, evening primrose oil, and/or AHA. Here are my specific suggestions for topical products that are great for oily, acne-prone skin:

• Cleanser - Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash or Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean. Your exfoliating wash every day may be aggravating your skin. I'd use AHA instead.
  • Toner - Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel - soothing and cooling.
  • AHA - Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment - for chemical exfoliation.
  • Moisturizer - Your Simple one should be good.

I also like to use cinnamon, raw honey, and witch hazel masks. Sometimes I throw in some lemon juice, sulfur powder, and a little turmeric powder and leave it for 20 minutes.

I'd highly suggest you get a multivitamin that is bioavailable (I use Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, which is highly bioavailable; most OTC brands like Centrum are worthless because the forms of the vitamins they use are cheap and not bioavailable.) for starters, and then consider adding extra vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, alpha lipoic acid, krill oil (omega 3's), evening primrose oil (omega 6's), astaxanthin, chromium, selenium, MSM, and/or niacin/niacinamide.

It is also very important to get your hormones under control. Many people have had success with DHT blockers and inhibitors like pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil, pygeum, saw palmetto, and DIM. There are some good threads on here about hormones and specifically androgens and anti-androgens.

For supplementing natural herbs and spices, I'd suggest neem leaf, sea buckthorn fruit powder, burdock root, bee pollen, propolis, milk thistle, licorice root, dandelion root, cayenne, green tea extract, rosemary, ginger, gotu kola, alfalfa, chlorella, spirulina, and/or turmeric.

All of the above things have natural antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and detoxification/cleansing properties that help heal and prevent acne and improve your skin's health and your overall health.

I like to get my supplements almost exclusively from Amazon from the following trustworthy companies: NOW Foods, Source Naturals, Nutrigold, Jarrow Formulas, and Nature's Way, in that order of preference. For organic herbs and spices, I usually buy in bulk from MountainRoseHerbs.com and make my own capsules or use the powders (like turmeric) for facial masks.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@viasidd)

Posted : 06/29/2013 2:45 am

honestly, i had the worst cystic acne back last year october. my skin got better off of spiro, which is mainly for women, but spiro wasn't the biggest help because my acne came back. -__- so I ended up using the Regimen of bp. And my skin got a LOT better. at first I thought the bp would be the same as any other from the store, but it really did help me out with all the ugly big stuff on my face, didn't help extremely with the cysts, but it helps with the inflammation I got. You just have to be a bit consistent, because I notice acne takes months to go away when you start a product, so you must be patient, but the bp DID help after 2 weeks which was great!

My advice is try it if you want? If not, there are other alternatives that ppl will give you on this site. :) This site helped me more than my derm lol.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:04 pm

Your dry skin is from the cleanser. Stop using it. Wash your face in the shower but don't use anything. Then put on your moisturizer mixed with jojoba oil.

Moisturizor by themselves wont be enough to cure dryness. Jojoba acts as a natural oil just like your skin oil. And as the day pass your skin will hydrate to the point where it wont need moisturizer or jojoba oil.

I know from experience. I had to drop my cleanser earlier on. It wasn't doing any good and I get zero breakouts a day. So I learned early on it wasn't necessary.

As for your acne, your going to need to begin testing benzoyl peroxide creams till you find the one that stops your breakouts.

Moisturizors don't cure existing pimples nor stop breakouts.

MemberMember
(@whitelotuslove)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:23 pm

Hey there,

I have severe acne as well but it has healed drastically within 2 weeks. What I had to do was change my diet completely. Severe acne usually comes from hormonal imbalances, which are internal and cannot just be treated by topical products.

Buy organic foods that are low on the glycemic index. Basically, eat like a diabetic. These foods are staples in my diet: spearmint tea, green tea (both caffeine free), almonds/any nuts, almond milk (NO dairy), kale, romaine or spinach, apples. kiwi, strawberries (all organic), whole grains (NO white bread/pasta), quinoa, black rice, tuna, salmon (when I have the budget for it), avocados, and etc. DO NOT consume sugar. If you do have strong cravings, find something that has a very low amount of sugar. I drink Honest Juice when I have a major sweet tooth. It is organic juice with very little sugar and no high fructose corn syrup or any of that nasty stuff. Do not eat meat! If you do, you need to eat organic, hormone free meat. I think Chipotle has that, but again, avoid meat for a while. Also DO NOT consume dairy, because dairy contains hormones, Drink almond milk.

Take supplements as well. Royal jelly pills are good. I also take ginseng (liquid form in a pouch, sold at asian herbal medicine stores).

I also use Neutrogena NATURALS acne cream cleanser with salicylic acid. I then use Prevage serum by Elizabeth Arden as a moisturizer/treatment. Make sure if you want to use this that you get a SAMPLE first because it is not for everyone.

I really hope this helps. Again, acne is almost always an internal issue, but there is hope!