Notifications
Clear all

Can Shaving Help Reduce Acne?

MemberMember
(@gymrat3)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:45 pm

So I have acne below my lips in my chin area on the left and right. I literally never shave this area with my electric razor, I just use a trimmer to keep some facial hair in the area. I completely shave my cheeks and my neck and jaw line and I no longer get acne there. Does shaving get rid of deadskin cells which in return reduce acne?

Would it help for me to shave the area?

Thanks

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:57 pm

There's two theories on this. Shaving frequently and not shaving at all.

When your facial hair is longer and you shave, there's more of a tug, which causes a lot of irritation. So, if you shave each day, you prevent that and if you don't shave at all, you also prevent that.

I only use a trimmer, so I don't really have to comply to either of these. Well, actually I notice that when I shave with longer facial hair I feel a little irritated afterwards.

MemberMember
(@gymrat3)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:28 pm

Ya when I do shave I trim it low and then shave it so the tugging wouldn't apply to this.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 2:00 pm

Agreed, I'd either do every day or not at all, to avoid the tug.

Shaving does get rid of dead skin cells, which helps. Just try to shave properly and in a way that doesn't irritate your skin.

For some folks, shaving may irritate acne, and for others it may help.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 06/22/2013 2:48 pm

I never get acne along my jawline, chin, etc. Sometimes above my mouth though. I used to shave with a razor and thought maybe that was why, exfoliating the dead skin, etc. I tried shaving higher up on my cheeks a few times but it only irritated my red marks. For the last couple months I've been just using a beard trimmer, but I'm still not getting any acne in my beard area. So, basically, I have no idea. But that's my experience.

MemberMember
(@xesro)

Posted : 06/24/2013 8:57 am

Depends on how you shave.

Shaving itself doesn't affect your acne. It depends on how do you shave, it could help or it could make it worse.