Notifications
Clear all

Every Moisturizer I Have Ever Used Gives Me Pimples...

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:06 am

Every moisturizer I have ever used has given me pimples on my forehead/jaw. This includes oil of olay, aloe vera, shea butter, nivea for men, etc. There is too many to think off the top of my head, but I cannot name one that has worked for my skin. I dunno what to think of it, but I just never use moisturizer for that reason. I just started considering only using on my cheeks since I don't break out in that area.

Does anyone know why this might be?

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:12 pm

Same here. Here's why. Most cream/lotion moisturizers like the ones you mentioned contain harsh chemicals, solvents, sulfates, parabens, fragrances, emulsifiers, and synthetic fillers. After all, these are the things that give moisturizers their 'creamy' consistency. The bad news is these things usually end up clogging pores, even though they all claim to be noncomedogenic, causing breakouts. Ironically enough, facial moisturizers usually contain the highest concentration of synthetic and petroleum-based byproducts of any type of skincare product. Plus, you don't want that stuff entering your bloodstream through your skin!

This is why I use natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil as a moisturizer. It sounds and feels weird at first. But contrary to popular belief, most natural oils do not clog pores, do not contain the aforementioned toxic artificial ingredients, they help prevent shiny, oily skin, they protect the skin's lipid barrier to keep out airborne toxins, and they are much cheaper than regular moisturizers.

Probably the biggest misconception about using oils as moisturizers (and the reason people don't try it) is the idea that oils make your skin oily. Ironically, moisturizing with oils makes your skin less oily throughout the day than cream moisturizers that usually clog pores.

The people who do try oil usually go wrong by simply applying too much. It only takes 3 or 4 drops of oil to cover your entire face.

Also, oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil have anti-inflammatory properties that actually help acne.

MemberMember
(@catalyst)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:59 pm

I've tried every moisturizer also. Almost all break me out and dry my skin. Cetaphil is the only one I've had success with. Zero breakouts and with jojoba oil zero dryness.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/22/2013 8:07 pm

Same here. Here's why. Most cream/lotion moisturizers like the ones you mentioned contain harsh chemicals, solvents, sulfates, parabens, fragrances, emulsifiers, and synthetic fillers. After all, these are the things that give moisturizers their 'creamy' consistency. The bad news is these things usually end up clogging pores, even though they all claim to be noncomedogenic, causing breakouts. Ironically enough, facial moisturizers usually contain the highest concentration of synthetic and petroleum-based byproducts of any type of skincare product. Plus, you don't want that stuff entering your bloodstream through your skin!

This is why I use natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil as a moisturizer. It sounds and feels weird at first. But contrary to popular belief, most natural oils do not clog pores, do not contain the aforementioned toxic artificial ingredients, they help prevent shiny, oily skin, they protect the skin's lipid barrier to keep out airborne toxins, and they are much cheaper than regular moisturizers.

Probably the biggest misconception about using oils as moisturizers (and the reason people don't try it) is the idea that oils make your skin oily. Ironically, moisturizing with oils makes your skin less oily throughout the day, even more so than cream moisturizers that claim to absorb oil. Lets look at the biology for a second. Your sebaceous glands in your skin produce oil naturally as a response to dryness in an attempt to hydrate the skin. This is why harsh cleansers and topical treatments for acne that dry out your skin actually cause more sebum production and make your acne worse. Your bodys natural oil production attempts to moisturize your skin and remove dead skin cells, so oil production is actually a good thing. Problems arise with too much oil production, which clogs pores and causes acne. Again, this is usually your skin overcompensating for dryness, illustrating why its important to keep your skin hydrated. By hydrating your skin, natural oils send a message to your sebaceous glands to turn off, causing them to produce less oil throughout the day.

The people who do try oil usually go wrong by simply applying too much. It only takes 3 or 4 drops of oil to cover your entire face.

Also, oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil have anti-inflammatory properties that actually help acne.

What kind of natural oil do you recommend? I would like one that has whitening properties. Also how do you apply the oil? Seems like a very messy task.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 2:03 am

What kind of natural oil do you recommend? I would like one that has whitening properties. Also how do you apply the oil? Seems like a very messy task.

Personally I like almond oil and evening primrose oil. Both are anti-inflammatory and absorb quickly and easily into the skin. I just mix 2 drops of each in my palm and apply it morning and night as you would a 'normal' moisturizer. Then just wash your hands. Not messy at all. Other popular oils include argan oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil.

Try to get organic and expeller- or steam-pressed.

Pretty sure no oil has whitening properties. Maybe try citrus extracts for that.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/23/2013 6:39 am

Personally I like almond oil and evening primrose oil. Both are anti-inflammatory and absorb quickly and easily into the skin. I just mix 2 drops of each in my palm and apply it morning and night as you would a 'normal' moisturizer. Then just wash your hands. Not messy at all. Other popular oils include argan oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil.

Try to get organic and expeller- or steam-pressed.

Pretty sure no oil has whitening properties. Maybe try citrus extracts for that.

im gonna try vitamin e pure oil. but thanks for the suggestion. u might have found the cure for me.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:11 am

im gonna try vitamin e pure oil. but thanks for the suggestion. u might have found the cure for me.

Be sure to get D-alpha tocopherol, not DL.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:50 am

Be sure to get D-alpha tocopherol, not DL.

Doh. I just realized this literally less than a hour ago. I bough some clear Vitamin E and realized its not the natural stuff. I plan on buying the natural stuff soon.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 06/23/2013 2:25 pm

or maybe its the fact that you have acne thats giving you pimples? its not always caused by products, sometimes you just need to accept that you have a hormonal imbalance and left unmedicated you will get breakouts whether you use moisturizer or not.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/23/2013 6:27 pm

or maybe its the fact that you have acne thats giving you pimples? its not always caused by products, sometimes you just need to accept that you have a hormonal imbalance and left unmedicated you will get breakouts whether you use moisturizer or not.

Not true because I haven't had acne since High School.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:23 pm

Well to touch on xxyy therory, it could be hormonal. I didn't have any acne in school or in my early twenties. I didn't get acne until I was 24 years old. Came out of nowhere, and guess what got rid of my acne? Spiro. Which is a hormonal treatment. It's unlikely that every moisturizers breaks you out. Nphve you tried moisturizers that are non comedogenic? Or tried moisturizers that aren't from drug stores that have good ingredients in their products?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:40 am

i too only got occasional zits in school.

i started breaking out badly when i was say 18-19.i think it was primarily stress and bad diet(not necessarily unhealthy but lack of healthy; that is i hardly ate much veggies,fruits,fish or lentils for more than a year)

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/24/2013 7:13 am

Well to touch on xxyy therory, it could be hormonal. I didn't have any acne in school or in my early twenties. I didn't get acne until I was 24 years old. Came out of nowhere, and guess what got rid of my acne? Spiro. Which is a hormonal treatment. It's unlikely that every moisturizers breaks you out. Nphve you tried moisturizers that are non comedogenic? Or tried moisturizers that aren't from drug stores that have good ingredients in their products?

I have tried shea butter. I have tried aloe vera. Even sunscreen breaks me out. I am hoping this natural vitamin E doesn't break me out, but I am not that sure. Everything seems to break me out. When I just use regular soap I won't have acne.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/24/2013 11:20 pm

Keep us updated on how it works out.

If you don't like the vit E oil, some others to try are:

• argan oil
  • olive oil
  • rose hip seed oil
  • avocado oil
  • macadamia oil
  • safflower oil
  • almond oil
  • jojoba oil
  • borage oil
  • apricot oil
  • evening primrose oil
  • coconut oil
  • grapeseed oil
MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:13 am

jojoba oil is good!

MemberMember
(@synchronicity78)

Posted : 06/25/2013 2:21 am

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/26/2013 12:51 am

I have tried shea butter. I have tried aloe vera. Even sunscreen breaks me out. I am hoping this natural vitamin E doesn't break me out, but I am not that sure. Everything seems to break me out. When I just use regular soap I won't have acne.

Well try oils or getting a good brand lotion not a drug store one. And unfortunately SPF breaks out just about everybody which is a bummer. Keep trying until you find something you like. That's what we all have to do.

MemberMember
(@ansia)

Posted : 06/26/2013 1:30 am

A great oil is rosehip oil.

It might be a bit hard to find, but it's worth it. It's very soft and when absorbed will repair your skin.

I also found that the majority of moisturisers didn't help my acne. For ages I didn't use moisturiser.

Someone told me to tone my skin after washing it, wait for the toner to be absorbed and THEN pat moisturiser on.

I've tried a lot of toners, but sincerely, my favourite one is: water. Cold water. After I wash my face I splash my face with COOOLD water for a while, then I pat dry my face and leave it to dry for 10 minutes.

After which I put on moisturiser; which is a vitamin E moisturiser which I like.

Moisturiser is important, so you need to use. To make sure it doesn't make your skin oily and worse:

1) make sure your skin is dry and your pores closed before applying it

2) use a small amount

3) pat it on, don't rub!

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/26/2013 9:24 pm

if this vitamin e oil doesn't work i might not try anything. honestly i went through about 100 brands in my lifetime. it would be ridiculous to keep spending money on a moisturizer just to break out again. thats about 1000 dollars i wasted.

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:51 am

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward. Choose a non comedogenic moisturiser.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@tippa)

Posted : 06/27/2013 1:14 pm

Hello,

i am new to the forum but have adult acne and struggle since going off birth control. I am surprised at the recommendations for some of the oils because of some of the guides I reference state a lot of oils cause acne.

Here is one good list and this website gives information about how fabric softener, food additives, cosmetics, etc. can aggravate acne:

[Removed]

this one says the only safe oils are: Fragrance-free sunflower oil, safflower oil, and mineral oil.

Here's another list:

[Removed]

I'm sorry if this is repeated info. Again, i am new. Awhile back I purchased Dan's cleanser and still use his BP but was doing very well on YAZ birth control. Now going off I've struggled horribly with acne and oily skin.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/27/2013 2:55 pm

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward.

This sort of blanket statement is simply not true. Many oils are noncomedogenic, much less so than most cream moisturizers filled with emulsifiers, sulfates, and parabens that are much more likely to clog pores, especially oil-free ones that use water and waxes instead of oils. Besides, just because a product claims to be noncomedogenic (which most do now) does not mean that it actually is so; it is just a widely abused, unregulated marketing term.

MemberMember
(@celticghirl)

Posted : 06/27/2013 5:33 pm

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward.

This sort of blanket statement is simply not true.

I've been told this by 3 dermatologists over the years. I've been following this and I get less ingrown hairs / blocked follicles etc I use urea based moisturisers now. I always go for paraben free. My fave is "la Roche-posay, iso urea lait" it really helps heal things up a bit faster.

MemberMember
(@thaxceptional1)

Posted : 06/28/2013 9:03 pm

On 6/27/2013 at 6:51 PM, Celticghirl said:

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward. Choose a non comedogenic moisturiser.

[Removed]

bullshit article. i used neutrogena for men and it gave me acne. tired of these articles that think they know everyones skin type.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/29/2013 1:12 am

comedogenic is term thats greatly subjective.

so almost nothing is BS and almost nothing can be claimed with guarantee.