Notifications
Clear all

Deep Acne Coming To The Surface As A Whitehead

MemberMember
(@coonie7525)

Posted : 06/18/2013 11:42 am

I just started two new acne medications about two weeks ago. One is a topical antibacterial gel called Metrogel, and the other is Spironolactone which helps with hormonal acne by blocking excess testosterone in women.

My acne is only on my chin and I have about 8-10 cysts on it at all times. Also most of my pores on my chin are congested with tiny skin-colored plugs.

So for the past two days all of my pimples are turning into huge pus-filled whiteheads, even the deep cystic acne. I normally never have whiteheads.

Is this a good or a bad sign? Is my skin purging right now? If it is I will deal with these disgusting whiteheads for a while.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 06/18/2013 11:55 am

That's actually a good sign.. It means that the bacteria is coming to the surface and the medication is working.. .In the meantime, please don't pick at your skin and be as gentle as possible. Be sure to use a gentle cleanser, your facial meds, and a good moisturizer. Everything should work out fine.. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.. :)

MemberMember
(@ghosthater)

Posted : 06/18/2013 12:37 pm

I'm sort of getting this same thing though its my chin and cheeks. My skin isn't all red and irritated but there are a ton of pus filled cysts/pustules. I know you're not supposed to pop them but I'm curious as to how they will actually go away. Will they pop naturally? Will they just gradually decrease in size?

Also, I made a different thread about wondering if glycolic acid is good for these pus filled nuisances. Anyone know?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/18/2013 1:27 pm

Hey I'm using metro gel as well. I've only been using it for 4 days so far. I do feel some relief from using it. My nodule-cystic acne lesions are kind of itchy today but my closed comedones looks almost none existent . Some of your pimples will come to the surface and if you're carful you can extract them. It's really much safer to just leave them be even though they're really ugly. The metro gel will dry them up and they'll pop out on their own.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 06/18/2013 1:36 pm

I'm sort of getting this same thing though its my chin and cheeks. My skin isn't all red and irritated but there are a ton of pus filled cysts/pustules. I know you're not supposed to pop them but I'm curious as to how they will actually go away. Will they pop naturally? Will they just gradually decrease in size?

Also, I made a different thread about wondering if glycolic acid is good for these pus filled nuisances. Anyone know?

It's best to just leave them alone but if you insist on extracting them, search the site for tips on how to perform extractions as carefully as possible, though I advise against it... AHA, or glycolic acid can help for spot treating pus filled breakouts when they first emerge. However, it's pretty useless (from my personal experience) once they've come to a head... BP is the only thing that worked for them (again, in my personal experience).

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/18/2013 1:40 pm

You have cysts/pustules without irritated skin? So you're acne isn't red? A good way to tell if your skin is irritated is to look at the skin on the inside of your arm. Put the inside of your arm up to your face. If your face color isn't close to the color of the inside arm, your face is irritated. For example; my face never tans it just gets redder. It's blotchy pink on good days. When I do the face to inner arm test my face is always red in comparison. I have Papulopustular Rosacea and that's why I'm using metro gel.

What size are these pimples?

Glycolic acid could help a little but t won't make them go away. You need an antibiotic topical that kills all bacteria, even the ones that don't need oxygen to survive. Metro gel kills everything even the good bacteria sadly

MemberMember
(@ghosthater)

Posted : 06/18/2013 5:14 pm

It's best to just leave them alone but if you insist on extracting them, search the site for tips on how to perform extractions as carefully as possible, though I advise against it... AHA, or glycolic acid can help for spot treating pus filled breakouts when they first emerge. However, it's pretty useless (from my personal experience) once they've come to a head... BP is the only thing that worked for them (again, in my personal experience).

I have been extracting them when they've popped up over the past couple of weeks (in the recommended way) but that always makes my skin red and irritated, so I've stopped the past couple of days and they've built up. They are pretty damn large and they get bigger throughout the day. Do I just continue with the Regimen and use some glycolic acid to spot treat it?

You have cysts/pustules without irritated skin? So you're acne isn't red? A good way to tell if your skin is irritated is to look at the skin on the inside of your arm. Put the inside of your arm up to your face. If your face color isn't close to the color of the inside arm, your face is irritated. For example; my face never tans it just gets redder. It's blotchy pink on good days. When I do the face to inner arm test my face is always red in comparison. I have Papulopustular Rosacea and that's why I'm using metro gel.

Glycolic acid could help a little but t won't make them go away. You need an antibiotic topical that kills all bacteria, even the ones that don't need oxygen to survive. Metro gel kills everything even the good bacteria sadly

The pimples are pretty damn large and noticeable, and they get bigger with time. I even think 2 are starting to merge. I probably have like 9-10 right now. It's actually odd how quickly they are forming. I've noticed 3-4 large ones in just a matter of like 12 hours. The skin around them really isn't that red even with the inner arm test. This isn't the first time this has happened. Last time I extracted/popped them and that just irritated the crap out of my skin for the next few days. Is it good or bad that this is happening. I've been on the Regimen for the past week and a half or so and my skin is much less than it was. These zits just started to come up though, and I don't know if this is part of the healing process or not.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/18/2013 8:23 pm

I have been extracting them when they've popped up over the past couple of weeks (in the recommended way) but that always makes my skin red and irritated, so I've stopped the past couple of days and they've built up. They are pretty damn large and they get bigger throughout the day. Do I just continue with the Regimen and use some glycolic acid to spot treat it?

The pimples are pretty damn large and noticeable, and they get bigger with time. I even think 2 are starting to merge. I probably have like 9-10 right now. It's actually odd how quickly they are forming. I've noticed 3-4 large ones in just a matter of like 12 hours. The skin around them really isn't that red even with the inner arm test. This isn't the first time this has happened. Last time I extracted/popped them and that just irritated the crap out of my skin for the next few days. Is it good or bad that this is happening. I've been on the Regimen for the past week and a half or so and my skin is much less than it was. These zits just started to come up though, and I don't know if this is part of the healing process or not.

Hmm that is odd to me. You never had this kind if acne before using the regimen?

No acne topical should make your acne worse. It should bring it to the surface where it will eventually come to a head or completely go away.

MemberMember
(@ghosthater)

Posted : 06/18/2013 8:56 pm

Hmm that is odd to me. You never had this kind if acne before using the regimen?

No acne topical should make your acne worse. It should bring it to the surface where it will eventually come to a head or completely go away.

I have not really had this kind of acne before using the regimen. That's the thing though, I can't tell if it's getting worse or if this is the part of the healing process. All these zits are coming to heads within about a day of first appearing. A couple of them splatted our their pus while I was in the shower, and I've been very gentle. When using the regimen, are your zits SUPPOSED to come to heads and then burst like that?

I previously used Proactiv for 2 years so I'm pretty positive I'm not having any reaction to BP. And my cleanser is one of the recommended Clean and Clear ones.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 06/19/2013 12:28 am

I have not really had this kind of acne before using the regimen. That's the thing though, I can't tell if it's getting worse or if this is the part of the healing process. All these zits are coming to heads within about a day of first appearing. A couple of them splatted our their pus while I was in the shower, and I've been very gentle. When using the regimen, are your zits SUPPOSED to come to heads and then burst like that?

I previously used Proactiv for 2 years so I'm pretty positive I'm not having any reaction to BP. And my cleanser is one of the recommended Clean and Clear ones.

My cystic acne used to do that sometimes. I was putting on powdered makeup one time and I guess I pressed too hard and one popped and shot across the room. I swear I'm not lying, it was horrifying but funny at the same time.

Well give your regimen a couple months. If you acne doesn't improve then you may have to switch things up. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try and aha along with the regimen. It could help some.

The regimen didn't work for me because I guess it wasn't the right thing for me. I have acne Rosacea and I'm now using metrogel.

My cystic acne used to do that sometimes. I was putting on powdered makeup one time and I guess I pressed too hard and one popped and shot across the room. I swear I'm not lying, it was horrifying but funny at the same time.

Well give your regimen a couple months. If you acne doesn't improve then you may have to switch things up. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try and aha along with the regimen. It could help some.

The regimen didn't work for me because I guess it wasn't the right thing for me. I have acne Rosacea and I'm now using metrogel.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/19/2013 12:38 am

the inner arm is always likely to be fairer than other body parts like face,upper outer arms,lower limbs(if one wears skirts and stuff),feet etc.

i dnt see how that will help judge.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/19/2013 11:10 pm

This is a good thing. For many years I had underground cysts that would never come to a head. They would get bumpy, recede, get bumpy...in the same place...for years. When a cyst would finally come to a head it was a relief because it would actually HEAL.

Don't overwash your face because water is alkaline which disrupts your skin's barrier. Your skin's natural pH is 5.5. If it gets too far above or below that number your skin loses its natural ability to fight infection. With all these whiteheads, you need to let your skin protect itself as much as possible.

• Try to limit washing to once a day
  • Use a really gentle cleanser
  • Do all your whitehead extraction right before you wash. Gently extract the pus, disinfect with topical iodine or Betadine, and then gently wash with the cleanser and preferably distilled water.
  • Apply metrogel.