Notifications
Clear all

Is Accutane Worth It?

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/18/2013 1:38 am

Well, I've been on 4-5 topical creams, they didnt work. I've used some sort of oral medication to help with my acne, it didnt work. I've been doing this for about a year and a half now. At first, they'd work wonders, my acne would clear up. However, my acne would just get out of hand about after i saw any sign of improvement. And now my skin is worse then when I started these regimes. Since none of these regimes worked.. and only made my acne worse, I would like to try Accutane. Now that I'm 18, my parents have stopped taking me to see my Dermatologist.. Rightfully so, because of the expense. So, now it's up to me to pay my own way. However, because of my acne, my confidence is at an all time low. So, for me to pay my own way I need a job. But, because of my acne, it's preventing me from getting a job. I want a job, dont get me wrong, but since my confidence is slow low, because of my acne.. i have no persistence to get job. But, I need the money, if I want to pay for my Dermatologist appointments and potentially the Accutane. But, my acne is running my life at the moment.. I don't wanna do anything. I'm at my wits end. I feel like I need Accuntane. I've heard it helped tremendously. So, any advice would help! Thanks! surprised.gif

Also, If you've tried Accutane or are in the process of using it.. could you please give some feedback! Did it work for you, or is it helping? If it did work, or is helping.. how well did it work? Also.. Is Accutane worth it!? If so, could you give me a rating (between 1 and 10), or a percentage (1-100%)?! Thanks!!

P.S. Sorry about making you read all of this, I just need some advice and your guys' feedback. surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@gopackgo)

Posted : 06/18/2013 9:14 am

I am about a month in and it is going well. Dry lips and gnarly boogers are about all of the side effects I have had. I did have a crazy itchy scalp like 1 week in, but it disappeared in like 2 days (using Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control a few days a week now, great stuff). Bag Balm seems to be the best for the lips. I have tried all the usual suspects (Aquaphor, LypSyl, Dr. Dan's Cortibalm, et cetera), but Bag Balm seems to work the best for me. You get use to the "unique" smell. I do think some of the side effects are blown out of proportion, but I also agree it is a serious drug and they should be considered. However, depending on where you are located it could be crazy expensive without insurance (you mention no job). My advice? Get that job, eat right, exercise, try to enjoy life. If that doesn't do the trick, consider taking Accutane.

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/18/2013 7:18 pm

hey pack! thanks for you reply, and advice. seems like you're the only to give me any advice. Much appreciated! i mean, my acne isnt severe, or cystic, by any means.. but, it still hurts to smile or do anthying involving my face. and thanks! ill look into it. but, how do i get a job.. i mean, im always worried about people looking at me. at the moment, when i do come into contact with people, other than my family.. i just look at the ground hoping no one notices my face. my acne is moderate, but persistent... i wont go away, at all! i mean, i might get the odd cyst, though. i go to be everynight wondering what will my complexion look like in the morning. im tired of living this way. :(

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 06/18/2013 7:27 pm

Accutane has been a very positive experience for me, check out my log. I'm nearing halfway now and its going great smile.png

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/18/2013 7:49 pm

Thank you for the reply! smile.png Ill take a look at your logs now! i feel as though accutane is the only that'll help, but every dermatologist that ive talked to said they only give out accutane to those who they think need it. my friend from the states said when he went to the dermatologist there, all he had to was inquire about it, and he got some please help!

MemberMember
(@liljet2)

Posted : 06/19/2013 3:01 am

Hey guys, im 16 yrs old and have redness and few scars and constantly permanent blind pimples on my forhead and ive tried so many dam products for last 3 years. Waste of time and money. I really desperately want this accutane stuff, so i can fit in with all the other kids at school. So is it really worth seeing a dermatologist ??

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/19/2013 12:36 pm

I'm not sure.. I've tried inquiring about accutane when I've gone to the dermatologist.. but they've shut me down. Before going to the dermatologist, I had relatively clear skin... i mean, i had maybe 2 or 3 zits here and there.. an then poof, they'd go away. i just went to the dermatologist to get a product that'll help maintain, or control my acne.. however, since going to the dermatologist, my acne has gotten worse.. maybe because i was allergic to the product? who knows? but i just need something, that'll help me clear up!!

MemberMember
(@gopackgo)

Posted : 06/20/2013 10:02 pm

Mine is also very mild, but persistent. Hold your head up. And find a different derm...

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/22/2013 10:54 pm

Thanks man!

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 06/23/2013 7:45 pm

Omg I'm in the same position as you! I don't have a job, I really need and want one but my acne is preventing me from looking. I was put on minocycline, and it has helped a little but I will be going off of it shortly. I never had severe acne, always moderate and I was never too embarrassed by it. But I'm the past couple of months my face just blew up. Now I'm so embarrassed and I just don't have the confidence to face people everyday.

I just recently decided on accutane and in less then a month I will be on it! Where do you live? I have insurance, but I will off my parents insurance come October because here in the states once you turn 26 you can't be on parents insurance plan anymore. So that's the thing that's bothering me because I'll be on accutane for 2 months and then I won't have insurance.

I was scared in the beginning to do accutane, but I don't think about that anymore. When acne is ruining your life you'll do anything. So what I would say is, maybe try finding a job where you work at night and/or working with little to no other people. I've thought about that, getting a job where you don't have interaction with costumes or other employees.

My plan is to start accutane, and hopefully of it clears me enough where I feel confident, I can then get a job!

Sorry for rambling, I hope everything works out for you!

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:42 pm

@Kris1787: Thanks Kris! smile.png I'm from Canada. Im not sure the age limit here is. Like, at what age does the insurance company kick you off at, here in canada? and yea, thats what i was thinking.. getting a job with little to no interaction with anybody.. just until my skin starts improving. But what kind of jobs can i get like that?? So, could you answer those 2 questions, if you have any idea. 1) What age does the insurance company kick you off your parents health insurance plan (in Canada)?? 2) what jobs can i get where i can work with little to no interaction with other people? P.S. Thank you, Kris!

MemberMember
(@kris1787)

Posted : 06/23/2013 11:08 pm

I have no idea how the insurance plans are in Canada. This new "Obama care", allows you to stay on your parents plan until 26, but come January 2014 every one in the US is required to have health insurance. So I'm not sure about Canada. As far as jobs, some grocery stores are open 24 hours, you could get a night shift job stocking shelves? That's what came to my mind. If have to think of other ones. Any job that stocks shelves, or someplace that's dark lol

MemberMember
(@ooksman23)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:25 am

@Kris1787: Kris, you're awesome! Thanks for all of your help :D