Notifications
Clear all

Beneficial Supplements While On Accutane

MemberMember
(@mikkia)

Posted : 06/14/2013 11:08 am

What supplements and vitamins are beneficial while on Accutane? What to avoid?

MemberMember
(@persephone7)

Posted : 06/14/2013 2:46 pm

Hi Mikkia! I just started my second round of Accutane and I have done a lot of research on supplements to take while taking Accutane and I can fill you in on what I am taking this time around that I WISHED I had taken my first time.

-Fish Oil is a must! It will help with joint pain which most people experience while on Accutane.

-Calcium. Your bones are at risk while on Accutane. I did not take calcium while I was on Accutane the first time and I had some bone problems after.

-Vitamin E. This one some people swear by, others say it does nothing. Better safe than sorry! It is supposed to help with your skin and how it heals.

-Milk Thistle. To protect your liver which Accutane can be hard on.

There are others you can take but those are the ones I would HIGHLY recommend.

ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU AVOID ANYTHING WITH VITAMIN A!!!!!! I can't stress that enough.

Feel free to visit my blog and ask me any other questions you have!

MemberMember
(@mikkia)

Posted : 06/15/2013 8:14 am

Did you find any studies about those supplements while on Accutane? There's not much information I can find, basically just some uncertain chit chat that those may or may not be good.

MemberMember
(@keepcalmandgtfo)

Posted : 06/15/2013 9:30 am

Hi Mikkia! I just started my second round of Accutane and I have done a lot of research on supplements to take while taking Accutane and I can fill you in on what I am taking this time around that I WISHED I had taken my first time.

-Fish Oil is a must! It will help with joint pain which most people experience while on Accutane.

-Calcium. Your bones are at risk while on Accutane. I did not take calcium while I was on Accutane the first time and I had some bone problems after.

-Vitamin E. This one some people swear by, others say it does nothing. Better safe than sorry! It is supposed to help with your skin and how it heals.

-Milk Thistle. To protect your liver which Accutane can be hard on.

There are others you can take but those are the ones I would HIGHLY recommend.

ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU AVOID ANYTHING WITH VITAMIN A!!!!!! I can't stress that enough.

Feel free to visit my blog and ask me any other questions you have!

Do you know whether krill oil would be more beneficial than fish oil? I've heard there's more omega 3 in krill oil than fish but not sure.

Thank you for making this post, all the replies you get will be very beneficial for a lot of people I'm sure!

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 06/15/2013 9:52 am

I never took supplements with Accutane, however, as a PP mentioned, avoid Vitamin A. Accutane already has Vitamin A, and it's possible to "overdose" on Vitamin A.

MemberMember
(@persephone7)

Posted : 06/15/2013 12:35 pm

I haven't really been able to find ACTUAL studies, which drives me crazy too. However, I have read tons of these blogs and those things seem to work for them. Also, the science behind Milk Thistle promoting healthy liver functions is easy to look up. I debated between Fish Oil and Krill Oil, I think that one is more of a personal preference. I did see a few people saying that too much Omega-3 while taking Accutane can be a bad thing, but I have no idea if that is accurate or not.

:)

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/16/2013 6:55 am

Remember, your liver has to process any medications you take; including supplements. I'd definitely say fish oils as an option, but other than that, don't go too far with the supplements.

MemberMember
(@mikkia)

Posted : 06/16/2013 6:13 pm

Remember, your liver has to process any medications you take; including supplements. I'd definitely say fish oils as an option, but other than that, don't go too far with the supplements.

Ok. Currently I'm taking these vitamins and supplements:

-Vitamin C

-Vitamin E

-Vitamin D

-Zinc

-Probiotics

-Calcium

Calcium is the newest addition. I removed B5 vitamin as I run out of it and I think there's no evidence that it would be helpful.

I might add milk thistle but I read that it has such action mechanism that it wouldn't prevent liver damage caused by Accutane. I'm no expert so I don't know myself though.