Could I Use A Low D...

Notifications
Clear all

Could I Use A Low Dose Of Accutane To Stop Oily Skin?

MemberMember
(@brf7)

Posted : 06/13/2013 5:36 pm

I've been on DKR for 6 months and am all clear. I still have dark spots but only on my forehead. My problem is oily skin though. I have to blot my face like 4 to 5 times a day. Could I go on a low dose of Accutane even though I dont have acne anymore? Would it break me out if I went on it?

I want to control my oily skin and it's basically the only effective thing people say works for them.

What should I do?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:14 am

are u aware of the side effects?

do u think its worth it?

why dnt u try every other thing and then consider accutane?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 06/17/2013 3:42 am

It would be pretty hard to get accutane legally if you don't even have acne. Even if you did get it, you might have to take more than you expect for it to work, and your oil will probably return after you stop taking it. It will work while you're on it, but it isn't a permanent solution for oily skin.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/21/2013 12:30 am

I'm not a fan of Accutane (which is essentially giving you toxic doses of vitamin A). If you are looking for something you can take once and forever eliminate your oil, I'm afraid you're out of luck. However, there are things you can take on a regular basis to control the processes inside your body that are creating the oil.

Here are some healthy doses of certain vitamins and herbs that have been shown to reduce oil production in your sebaceous glands.

Vitamin A (no more than 10,000 IU a day)

Vitamin B5 / Pantothenic Acid (500 - 1000mg a day)

Saw Palmetto (300 - 600mg a day of standardized extract)

Stinging Nettle (300 - 600mg a day of standardized extract)

If you take a dose of each of those a day, you will probably notice a great reduction in your oil.

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:31 pm

I don't see how some of you guys managed to get a Dr. to prescribe low dose accutane for oil control? They don't exactly hand that stuff out like candy.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 06/22/2013 4:50 pm

I'm not a fan of Accutane (which is essentially giving you toxic doses of vitamin A). If you are looking for something you can take once and forever eliminate your oil, I'm afraid you're out of luck. However, there are things you can take on a regular basis to control the processes inside your body that are creating the oil.

Here are some healthy doses of certain vitamins and herbs that have been shown to reduce oil production in your sebaceous glands.

If you take a dose of each of those a day, you will probably notice a great reduction in your oil.

Have you personally seen a reduction in sebum with those dosages? I've only heard of those supplements being effective at megadose levels. If the same effect can be achieved by taking multiple supplements at normal dosages then that would be great because I've always been too wary of megadosing to try it.

MemberMember
(@6n4m)

Posted : 06/30/2013 11:52 pm

The oily skin will come back as soon as you go off accutane, so you would have to take the low dose continually. A constant low dose should keep it at bay.

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 07/02/2013 8:58 pm

Accutane does shrink the oil glands. After treatment, they reopen, but never to the degree that they once were. That said, I was on Accutane 4 years ago and I still have oily skin. An ethical dermatologist would not prescribe you Accutane, in my opinion.