Notifications
Clear all

Life After Silicone

MemberMember
(@adventuregirl1)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:10 pm

I am a 27 year old female who had sever cystic acne for a very short period of time when I was 17 years old. It was on my chin and forehead and right cheek only and left me with very very deep rolling scars. Once I grew up and had the money to "fix" my scars I decided I would do everything in my power to get smooth scar free skin again. I tried every cream you can buy to help with the hyperpigmentation and of course nothing helped. Then last year I decided to take action and started what I thought would be a 1 year journey to nice skin. First I had Pearl Fracional Laser done and it look 1 full month to heal...after I did my scars looked the same. I was told we did not go deep enough so 5 months later I got the laser again, this time it took 3 months for all the readness to go away and still the scars looked the same. Then 4 months later I wanted something with less down time needed to I went in for the Pearl laser and was told I would be healed in 5 days... "6 months later I still have a very slight pinkness from that laser." and...it did nothing for my scars.

At this point I had become obsessed with my scars and I think about them all day long...it is all I see when I look in the mirror so 3 weeks ago I decided to take a different approach and I got 1 round of mirco droplete silicone injections. I got it in all the scars on my chin and in 10 scars on my right cheek only. At this point I am only trying to make the deepest ones improve. I went to one of the most skilled deremologists in my province and the day after the silicone I was very impressed. My scars were 70% improved and I was pleased.

Then 2 weeks later I got my first acne breakout in 10 years right where the silicone was injected. I was terrified that all the bumps on my face were from the silicone and that they would be permanant. I panicked and decided I would never get silicone again....1 week later all the bumps have gone away and I would not say my scars have not impoved at all now that the swelling has gone down. And if they have improved it is so little that I cannot tell.

I was told by my doctor that 4 mirco droplet silicone arounds would smooth out most of my scars for good! I have 3 more sessions booked each 1 month apart however now I am terrified of the side effects silicone could have and everytime I see a bump on my face I panick and think it is silicone...

I have recently been thinking of trying a dermaroller and just using it consistantly on my scars for a year to see if I can get some improvment...however I am scared it #1. Will damage the silicone and cause major problems. #2. It won't improve my scars.

Has anyone had silicone for 10 years or more who can advise long term side effects?

Also can anyone advise me on using a dermarollar and if I can do that even though I have had 1 round of silicone?

I have 2 options I feel like...#1. Get more silicone #2. Dermaroll and hope for the best.

I had a doctor suggest a Silk Peel but I know that won't help my scars at all and would be a waste of money.

I welcome anyone's thoughts!

Thank you

MemberMember
(@brooklyn718)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:17 pm

Hey,

Do not dermaroll on silicone. It can cause major issues. Also do not do anymore silicone. I wanted to have this done as well but im too scared because silicone does not age along with skin tissue and might come up like hills when we get older, this is not case for everyone but i dont want to be that percantage.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:23 pm

what province are u from? im in ontario struggling to find a good p.s

MemberMember
(@adventuregirl1)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:32 pm

Alberta.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:38 pm

I've had a few rounds of silicone, and honestly didn't see much change. I have some wider scars that I only got one round. I think it can help in certain scars and it dependent on how much reaction your individual body has to it. Your body may have a strong immune response to it, but maybe not. I did have a initial lump that I hated from one injection, I think that was the doctors fault. I think in your case since you had a bad reaction two weeks later, maybe you shouldn't do it again. Probably too risky for you. Also, I have dermarolled after my silicone injections (not right after) and have not seen a problems. Once the silicone has been encapsulated by your collagen it is not likely to cause a reaction, but I guess anything is possible. I think laser would be more risky after silicone than needling.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 06/14/2013 8:49 am

I have read a lot of old posts on here, and there were several by Ylem who had very severe scarring and found great success from silicone. I believe it took him many, many rounds and at one point he switched to a doctor who was willing to be more aggressive (use more at once). So it can work. As for long term effects, who knows. Hopefully it won't be an issue with the micro-drop technique.

MemberMember
(@adventuregirl1)

Posted : 06/18/2013 10:56 am

It has been 4 weeks now and I think I maybe see a 10% imporovement on my scars. The only issue I have had recently is minor ance outbreaks on my chin, I am not sure if this is related to the silicone or not.Tricia did you see any good results from dermarolling your scars? and also how many rounds of silicone did you have done?

MemberMember
(@aser0225409)

Posted : 06/18/2013 11:22 pm

Have you looked up active fx and deep fx.They are the best co2 lasers and I hear that you get around a 50 to 70 percent improvement in 1 treatment.It cost like 2000-3000

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 06/19/2013 2:27 pm

I had three rounds total on some scars and just one round on others. The first two rounds I had done in Texas and years later I had a third with a different doctor to all of my scars including some newer ones. I got a little lump from one of those injections that went down later and actually is now indented some. So I don't think it works well for me. Dermarolling does help, but only to a point. It is not a miracle treatment in my opinion. I have actually done the horizontal needling with bigger needles to kind of perform my own subcision and while it helps initially, I think in my case my scars aren't really bound down enough to see any real results from it. Sorry your laser treatments didn't work for you. That is one thing I haven't really tried much of, except for IPL and a vbeam treatment which didn't help a lot.

Also I first got silicone close to six years ago. From my experience it can cause outbreaks but only if place to superficial in the skin.

It has been 4 weeks now and I think I maybe see a 10% imporovement on my scars. The only issue I have had recently is minor ance outbreaks on my chin, I am not sure if this is related to the silicone or not.Tricia did you see any good results from dermarolling your scars? and also how many rounds of silicone did you have done?

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 06/19/2013 3:01 pm

I had three rounds total on some scars and just one round on others. The first two rounds I had done in Texas and years later I had a third with a different doctor to all of my scars including some newer ones. I got a little lump from one of those injections that went down later and actually is now indented some. So I don't think it works well for me. Dermarolling does help, but only to a point. It is not a miracle treatment in my opinion. I have actually done the horizontal needling with bigger needles to kind of perform my own subcision and while it helps initially, I think in my case my scars aren't really bound down enough to see any real results from it. Sorry your laser treatments didn't work for you. That is one thing I haven't really tried much of, except for IPL and a vbeam treatment which didn't help a lot.

Also I first got silicone close to six years ago. From my experience it can cause outbreaks but only if place to superficial in the skin.

what do you mean by ''only if place to superficial in the skin''

MemberMember
(@brooklyn718)

Posted : 06/20/2013 4:41 pm

if silicone is helping you why not do ur on fat?

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 06/20/2013 9:22 pm

I think the problem with silicone is when it is placed as it should be, which is pretty deep, it will not plump up the scars that are more superficial. So some doctors probably try to get it as close to the pitted area as possible to make the correction, but then the silicone will cause more inflammation, perhaps in the form of acne. And in my case I think some of it actually came up through the whole the needle made when it was inserted. That exact spot where the needle was inserted got inflamed and turned rather cystic which eventually left another little indent.

I had a doctor tell me fat injections would not work, it would just leave a weird bump. Acne scars are hard because of their position in the dermis. Fillers just don't work well for certain scars.

MemberMember
(@brooklyn718)

Posted : 06/21/2013 10:00 am

I have rolling scars so I was told by two diff plastic surgeons fat injections will be great

MemberMember
(@adventuregirl1)

Posted : 07/15/2013 10:14 am

I recently noticed that actually the silicone in my chin left approx 6 small lumps that you can see when I pull my skin tight. This has completly scared me off silicone for good and I will not be going back for another round. I think I have pretty much written off any fillers at this point. Using your own fat sounds safer than silicone so I can see why someone would try it however it's not for me. I recently went to go get a second opinion from a different dermatolgist this weekend and we was shocked as to why any doctor would use silicone. He suggested mecial needling and getting something called the demapen done. He suggested 3 rounds in total and the cost would be $750 for all 3 in total "which is actually a lot cheaper than anything else I have ever tried on my skin." He says this dermapen offers less downtime and better results with no risk involved. I have tried lasers so many times with no luck and so now I am thinking that trying needling could be my last and final attempt at fixing these scars before I decide to just live with them. My new dermatoligst says that needling will not effect the silicone at all because even if the needles do punchure the silicone nothing will happen to it. Has anyone ever tried the dermpen or has experience with needles after silicone..or with little silicone bumps and did they do away?

Also

aser0225409 I have looked into deep fx however my skin takes so long to heal after lasers and the redness that is left from it lasts for at least 6 months on me. I can't afford to take off the time from work nor can I afford to drop a few thousand on my face again...it seems to do too much damage to the outer dermis of my skin. I don't want a recovery time longer than a weekend.

MemberMember
(@oopli)

Posted : 07/16/2013 6:49 pm

I recently noticed that actually the silicone in my chin left approx 6 small lumps that you can see when I pull my skin tight. This has completly scared me off silicone for good and I will not be going back for another round. I think I have pretty much written off any fillers at this point. Using your own fat sounds safer than silicone so I can see why someone would try it however it's not for me. I recently went to go get a second opinion from a different dermatolgist this weekend and we was shocked as to why any doctor would use silicone. He suggested mecial needling and getting something called the demapen done. He suggested 3 rounds in total and the cost would be $750 for all 3 in total "which is actually a lot cheaper than anything else I have ever tried on my skin." He says this dermapen offers less downtime and better results with no risk involved. I have tried lasers so many times with no luck and so now I am thinking that trying needling could be my last and final attempt at fixing these scars before I decide to just live with them. My new dermatoligst says that needling will not effect the silicone at all because even if the needles do punchure the silicone nothing will happen to it. Has anyone ever tried the dermpen or has experience with needles after silicone..or with little silicone bumps and did they do away?

Also

aser0225409 I have looked into deep fx however my skin takes so long to heal after lasers and the redness that is left from it lasts for at least 6 months on me. I can't afford to take off the time from work nor can I afford to drop a few thousand on my face again...it seems to do too much damage to the outer dermis of my skin. I don't want a recovery time longer than a weekend.

Sorry to hear you got silicone bumps, i also got several bumps after silicone. I tried cortisone shots several times but they didnt work and finally my doctor said i should have them excised. The procedure was very simple and quick, it was almost like having a mole excised. the pic is 4 months after i got the bump excised. In total i got 5 bumps excised and saw improvement on all but one.

post-165434-0-01962300-1374018547_thumb.