Notifications
Clear all

Is It Weird That Otc Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Didn't Dry Me Out?

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 06/13/2013 9:51 am

I decided to try benzoyl peroxide for the first time in my life last night. I was kind of reluctant to use bp because it dries out the skin but the weird thing is it didn't dry me out. Did I not use enough? I was expecting my skin to dry like what all of the reviews say so I bought a moisturizer (something that I don't actually use). I'm confused? I didn't even touch the moisturizer because I didn't need to. It's Benzac AC BP if you guys wanna know.

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 06/13/2013 3:17 pm

Same problem here mate, I used Oxy BP2.5% a while back and it dried the hell out of my skin. Tried Quinoderm 5% last night for the first time and although mildly effective, it does almost nothing.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/14/2013 2:29 am

It would be unusual if BP dried your skin in one day. You will find with regular use that your skin will get very dry and irritated usually by the 2nd or 3rd week. Its important to moisturise from day 1 whether your skin needs it or not.

As for using enough, you will think that your skin can tolerate a lot of BP because your skin isnt reacting but if you start using too much too early you will regret it by the second week and will have to start over. Start slowly and build up and you should get good results.

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:57 am

It would be unusual if BP dried your skin in one day. You will find with regular use that your skin will get very dry and irritated usually by the 2nd or 3rd week. Its important to moisturise from day 1 whether your skin needs it or not.

As for using enough, you will think that your skin can tolerate a lot of BP because your skin isnt reacting but if you start using too much too early you will regret it by the second week and will have to start over. Start slowly and build up and you should get good results.

Could it also be because my face is used to harsh and drying products such as sulfur and clindamycin? I've been using these products and it would dry out my skin and irritate it a bit to some point that some parts of my skin were red and itchy (I've never considered using moisturizer though even though they were pretty drying and irritating). Really weird that putting BP on my skin actually felt like it moisturized my face instead of drying it haha.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/14/2013 4:02 am

It might be the case that your skin has adapted to harsh products but it would still be doubtful. For example I dropped down my use of BP to just once per day, but occasionally I apply it twice a day for a few days every few weeks when I feel bumps start to appear under my skin. Even though I use bp every single day, when I start to apply it twice a day my face starts to go red and a bit itchy again.

So basically if I went to wearing twice a day every day I would have to build up my skins tolerance to BP again. You may be lucky but I would still suggest you err on the side of caution and start slowly and build up. You have nothing to lose that way.

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 06/14/2013 4:14 am

It might be the case that your skin has adapted to harsh products but it would still be doubtful. For example I dropped down my use of BP to just once per day, but occasionally I apply it twice a day for a few days every few weeks when I feel bumps start to appear under my skin. Even though I use bp every single day, when I start to apply it twice a day my face starts to go red and a bit itchy again.

So basically if I went to wearing twice a day every day I would have to build up my skins tolerance to BP again. You may be lucky but I would still suggest you err on the side of caution and start slowly and build up. You have nothing to lose that way.

Oh okay then I'll do just that then. So how did the BP feel on your face the first time you used it? I'm looking for it to dry up not because I want it to be irritated but more like to be sure that the product is working. I'm super eager to find results. Anyway thank you for answering my questions, I do appreciate it a ton. It's really hard dealing with acne on your own so I try to seek advice in any way i can.

MemberMember
(@kyou)

Posted : 06/14/2013 9:24 am

10% benzoyl peroxide -- I used to have really oily skin but not anymore because it sucks the oil. o.o

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 06/14/2013 12:37 pm

10% benzoyl peroxide -- I used to have really oily skin but not anymore because it sucks the oil. o.o

Did your skin dry out the very first time you used it?

MemberMember
(@kyou)

Posted : 06/15/2013 3:50 am

only a bit like the 1st week I guess I had a bit dry skin but using e45--cream for dry skin-- it really helped and quickly went!

MemberMember
(@zephster)

Posted : 06/15/2013 7:51 am

only a bit like the 1st week I guess I had a bit dry skin but using e45--cream for dry skin-- it really helped and quickly went!

Oh okay well looks like I'm the only one who didn't dry out from using BP (which is really unusual). Still, I'm gonna use the moisturizer I bought, I don't want that to go to waste.