Notifications
Clear all

No Probiotics For Months--Totally Clear!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/12/2013 2:17 pm

Hey guys, just thought I'd share this for those who haven't been following my case.

I'm now 100 percent clear and have been for a long time. I am on the regimen, which helps a lot, but it isn't only that. It's avoiding probiotics and fermented foods. I've been eating this stuff (kimchi) for years thinking that it's important to put "good bacteria" in my gut. As it turns out, that was majorly doing me in. In hindsight, I realized that I was eating something fermented all of the time my acne was really bad. At first it was just kimchi, but then as I got more focused on healing my skin naturally, I got on the path of bombarding my system with probiotics, which was advised to me here. (bad advice, although I'm sure the person had good intentions)

I can't stress enough that you should be very, VERY careful about probiotics and especially fermented foods. My cystic acne got worse and worse and I constantly felt sick and aggravated and depressed. At the time I was taking a probiotic supplement, eating multiple servings of kimchi, sauerkraut and water kefir every day. Do you have any idea how harsh that was on my stomach?

When I started the regimen, I was still eating some sauerkraut and kimchi. The regimen helped, but I was still breaking out like clockwork 1-3 cysts a week, and more around my period and ovulation time. I always thought hormones were to blame. NOPE! Do you know how I know? Because I stopped everything that could possibly have bacteria and I got totally clear! Just to make sure that it wasn't odd timing and actually the regimen clearing me, I tested probiotic foods on multiple occasions with a few weeks in between each test. Without fail, every time something probiotic went into my stomach, I developed fresh cystic acne (after being totally clear) within an hour of ingestion. Sometimes within minutes. DESPITE being on the regimen. Which clearly proves that it wasn't just the regimen clearing me.

The best part? I NO LONGER GET HORMONAL ACNE! :D I have no idea how this works, but apparently hormonal acne that appears before your period or around ovulation can be triggered by something else. I don't break out at all anymore, even around those times! I don't even break out from stress anymore, and when I do get the occasional random pimple for whatever reason, it's nothing (not cystic) and it's usually gone within 48 hours. I used to get HUGE cystic acne that would last for weeks if not months. I wanted to share this for those who feel hopeless about their "hormonal" acne. It may be flared by hormones, but it's probably being triggered by something else. I'm not saying it's necessarily dietary, but you don't just get hormonal acne for no reason.

Of course, being on the regimen does help, but I honestly think it's just an aiding factor that makes my skin less prone to breakouts and not what actually cleared me. If it was, I wouldn't break out immediately from probiotic foods or other dietary triggers, no? If it was all the regimen, I should be able to eat whatever I want and remain clear, but I can't. Or maybe there are multiple types of acne, "regular" acne (which the regimen clears) and then the deep, cystic, hormonal or allergic reaction type acne I was getting from probiotics.

I just want to throw this out there because there is SO much promotion of these fermented foods around here and it definitely is NOT healthy for everyone. I highly urge anyone who is dealing with really violent cystic acne to try removing these things from your diet. It's not like these are delicious or important food items, or entire food groups that you will be missing out on. It takes a lot of work to ferment your own food anyway. If you are bombarding your system with bacteria in the name of health and still seeing bad acne, stop it! You might be doing yourself in.

For the record, I now eat pretty normally. Lots of rice, pasta (gluten free), salads, curries, stir fry, veggies, meats, eggs, even chocolate! I can even eat small amounts of some of my trigger foods like corn if I limit it to one or two servings only. I'm healing from the eating disorder I gave myself in the name of trying to get clear skin. I'm starting to feel like a normal human being again. How amazing is that? :)

Hope this helps someone. Love to all you guys. <3

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/12/2013 2:47 pm

On 6/12/2013 at 3:17 PM, dejaclairevoyant said:

Hey guys, just thought I'd share this for those who haven't been following my case.

I'm now 100 percent clear and have been for a long time. I am on the regimen, which helps a lot, but it isn't only that. It's avoiding probiotics and fermented foods. I've been eating this stuff (kimchi) for years thinking that it's important to put "good bacteria" in my gut. As it turns out, that was majorly doing me in. In hindsight, I realized that I was eating something fermented all of the time my acne was really bad. At first it was just kimchi, but then as I got more focused on healing my skin naturally, I got on the path of bombarding my system with probiotics, which was advised to me here. (bad advice, although I'm sure the person had good intentions)

I can't stress enough that you should be very, VERY careful about probiotics and especially fermented foods. My cystic acne got worse and worse and I constantly felt sick and aggravated and depressed. At the time I was taking a probiotic supplement, eating multiple servings of kimchi, sauerkraut and water kefir every day. Do you have any idea how harsh that was on my stomach?

When I started the regimen, I was still eating some sauerkraut and kimchi. The regimen helped, but I was still breaking out like clockwork 1-3 cysts a week, and more around my period and ovulation time. I always thought hormones were to blame. NOPE! Do you know how I know? Because I stopped everything that could possibly have bacteria and I got totally clear! Just to make sure that it wasn't odd timing and actually the regimen clearing me, I tested probiotic foods on multiple occasions with a few weeks in between each test. Without fail, every time something probiotic went into my stomach, I developed fresh cystic acne (after being totally clear) within an hour of ingestion. Sometimes within minutes. DESPITE being on the regimen. Which clearly proves that it wasn't just the regimen clearing me.

The best part? I NO LONGER GET HORMONAL ACNE! I have no idea how this works, but apparently hormonal acne that appears before your period or around ovulation can be triggered by something else. I don't break out at all anymore, even around those times! I don't even break out from stress anymore, and when I do get the occasional random pimple for whatever reason, it's nothing (not cystic) and it's usually gone within 48 hours. I used to get HUGE cystic acne that would last for weeks if not months. I wanted to share this for those who feel hopeless about their "hormonal" acne. It may be flared by hormones, but it's probably being triggered by something else. I'm not saying it's necessarily dietary, but you don't just get hormonal acne for no reason.

Of course, being on the regimen does help, but I honestly think it's just an aiding factor that makes my skin less prone to breakouts and not what actually cleared me. If it was, I wouldn't break out immediately from probiotic foods or other dietary triggers, no? If it was all the regimen, I should be able to eat whatever I want and remain clear, but I can't. Or maybe there are multiple types of acne, "regular" acne (which the regimen clears) and then the deep, cystic, hormonal or allergic reaction type acne I was getting from probiotics.

I just want to throw this out there because there is SO much promotion of these fermented foods around here and it definitely is NOT healthy for everyone. I highly urge anyone who is dealing with really violent cystic acne to try removing these things from your diet. It's not like these are delicious or important food items, or entire food groups that you will be missing out on. It takes a lot of work to ferment your own food anyway. If you are bombarding your system with bacteria in the name of health and still seeing bad acne, stop it! You might be doing yourself in.

For the record, I now eat pretty normally. Lots of rice, pasta (gluten free), salads, curries, stir fry, veggies, meats, eggs, even chocolate! I can even eat small amounts of some of my trigger foods like corn if I limit it to one or two servings only. I'm healing from the eating disorder I gave myself in the name of trying to get clear skin. I'm starting to feel like a normal human being again. How amazing is that?

You are soo lucky and I am so happy for you. I did not see fats on your list... do you consume any fats?

On 6/12/2013 at 3:17 PM, dejaclairevoyant said:

The best part? I NO LONGER GET HORMONAL ACNE!I have no idea how this works, but apparently hormonal acne that appears before your period or around ovulation can be triggered by something else. I don't break out at all anymore, even around those times! I don't even break out from stress anymore, and when I do get the occasional random pimple for whatever reason, it's nothing (not cystic) and it's usually gone within 48 hours. I used to get HUGE cystic acne that would last for weeks if not months. I wanted to share this for those who feel hopeless about their "hormonal" acne. It may be flared by hormones, but it's probably being triggered by something else. I'm not saying it's necessarily dietary, but you don't just get hormonal acne for no reason.

For the record, I now eat pretty normally. Lots of rice, pasta (gluten free), salads, curries, stir fry, veggies, meats, eggs, even chocolate! I can even eat small amounts of some of my trigger foods like corn if I limit it to one or two servings only. I'm healing from the eating disorder I gave myself in the name of trying to get clear skin. I'm starting to feel like a normal human being again. How amazing is that?

also, do you eat bone marrows or lamb broth? Would these give you acne?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/12/2013 6:40 pm

I eat lots of fats. Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, avocados, olives, just about everything aside from shitty vegetable oils and things like that. I don't eat bone broths often, just because I don't really feel like making them, but the last time I made some was when we had a venison hind quarter and I made bone broth from those bones. It didn't seem to worsen anything, but that was at the stage where I was still really broken out from the probiotics so it's hard to say. I haven't had the opportunity to eat any bone broths since I've been clear.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/13/2013 12:25 am

The flip side of probiotics is they can contribute to SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). In other words, too much of a good thing. Sometimes eating tons of fermented foods, or especially taking high dose probiotics, gets too much "good bacteria" stuck in the small intestine where it isn't doing much good.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/13/2013 1:18 am

congratulations!

i have always maintained that 'eating a balanced' diet and exclusion of only triggers is the best thing!

but there are some here who restrict a lot more(say no carb/extremely low carb/no grain at all or even no fruits/only raw etc) and i wish i could tell them its not a long way and its not good at the end.

balanced diet it is!

congratulations once more!

cheers mate!

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 06/14/2013 4:23 am

This is a very interesting post. I'm going to try probiotics. I'm kinda scared that my skin will react bad but I'll just try anyways and stop if I notice it breaks me out.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/14/2013 11:47 am

congratulations!

i have always maintained that 'eating a balanced' diet and exclusion of only triggers is the best thing!

but there are some here who restrict a lot more(say no carb/extremely low carb/no grain at all or even no fruits/only raw etc) and i wish i could tell them its not a long way and its not good at the end.

balanced diet it is!

congratulations once more!

cheers mate!

Thanks! :) Yeah I was definitely one of the extreme ones for far too long. NO extreme diet is the way and NO extreme diet can be upheld healthily for years and years. Being grain free was great on my system at first, (It's always nice to lighten up your diet to a more cleansing one for a SHORT time) but my mistake was thinking that was the way humans were meant to eat--which really wasn't true. After years of no grains, my system was more messed up than when I started. After about a year and a half I was tested and my cholesterol was rising fast... I then talked to my friend who is a registered dietician and she told me about a study on grain-free diets. Some of the people in the study were eating a balanced diet, others were eating grain free. They couldn't even complete the study because the people on the grain free diets had their cholesterol shoot up so fast that they considered it DANGEROUS to continue! Grains do something to balance our cholesterol and that's why they are important to include in our diets in moderation.

I'm anxious to get my cholesterol tested again soon and see if it has gone down since I've started eating grains again.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/14/2013 5:57 pm

Congratulations! Balance is key, and it's definitely not healthy depriving yourself. I went through 10 years of eating disorders and now I'm paying the price with digestive issues.Do you remember what probiotics you were taking? I take it it was a dairy-free, gluten-free etc supplement. I tried a few brands, and I discovered a cheaper brand with more strands and easier to digest so I think the brand and strands/ amount can also make a difference. If your digestive tract is messed up and/or if you have leaky gut/ IBS then it's much harder to absorb supplements and nutrients in the first place. I also did a ton of research on histamines and their effect on skin inflammations, and fermented foods are on the top list of things to avoid if there is a histamine sensitivity or high IgE.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/14/2013 9:15 pm

On 6/14/2013 at 6:57 PM, WishClean said:

Congratulations! Balance is key, and it's definitely not healthy depriving yourself. I went through 10 years of eating disorders and now I'm paying the price with digestive issues.Do you remember what probiotics you were taking? I take it it was a dairy-free, gluten-free etc supplement. I tried a few brands, and I discovered a cheaper brand with more stands and easier to digest so I think the brand and stands/ amount can also make a difference. If your digestive tract is messed up and/or if you have leaky gut/ IBS then it's much harder to absorb supplements and nutrients in the first place. I also did a ton of research on histamines and their effect on skin inflammations, and fermented foods are on the top list of things to avoid if there is a histamine sensitivity or high IgE.

well if histamines are causing the skin inflammations, other than fermented foods, what other foods should one be avoiding??

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/14/2013 9:55 pm

On 6/14/2013 at 10:15 PM, whoartthou1 said:
On 6/14/2013 at 6:57 PM, WishClean said:

Congratulations! Balance is key, and it's definitely not healthy depriving yourself. I went through 10 years of eating disorders and now I'm paying the price with digestive issues.Do you remember what probiotics you were taking? I take it it was a dairy-free, gluten-free etc supplement. I tried a few brands, and I discovered a cheaper brand with more stands and easier to digest so I think the brand and stands/ amount can also make a difference. If your digestive tract is messed up and/or if you have leaky gut/ IBS then it's much harder to absorb supplements and nutrients in the first place. I also did a ton of research on histamines and their effect on skin inflammations, and fermented foods are on the top list of things to avoid if there is a histamine sensitivity or high IgE.

well if histamines are causing the skin inflammations, other than fermented foods, what other foods should one be avoiding??

There are long lists of common histamine triggers and what to avoid, but unfortunately the lists on what is considered safe are much shorter. It depends on one's body and their IgE levels, and how much histamine they can tolerate. If you are sensitive to histamines, then you might notice red spots on other parts of your body especially in extreme cold/ heat/ humidity or if you apply body lotions. Histamine reactions are not just food related and they relate to a weak immune system and, in the case of food sensitivities, a poor gut flora and potentially leaky gut. So the best thing to do is strengthen the immune system and the gut, but without probiotics and digestive enzymes it will take much longer with just diet changes. Also, taking antihistamines is not a good long term solution because that just keeps histamine reactions suppressed within the body with no release, which can cause more inflammation.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/14/2013 11:23 pm

I was taking a probiotic specifically designed for those who are sensitive to many foods, so it was gluten/corn/soy and pretty much everything free.

But I think the biggest problem was the fermented foods.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/15/2013 9:20 am

On 6/15/2013 at 12:23 AM, dejaclairevoyant said:

I was taking a probiotic specifically designed for those who are sensitive to many foods, so it was gluten/corn/soy and pretty much everything free.

But I think the biggest problem was the fermented foods.

Have you looked into amine sensitivity? One tip in Avoiding foods high in amines that i know of is that that they increase as the food ages, so you want everything as fresh as possible. [Link removed]

Can you tolerate MSG?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/15/2013 12:00 pm

I've never been able to tolerate MSG but it's usually only in crap food anyway. I'm not looking into any more food sensitivities. It's far too triggering to my eating disorder. My only goal from here on out is to eat as many foods as possible--screw the consequences. You only live once and nothing could be worse than the mental strain I was living under before. I don't mind avoiding the fermented foods because that stuff is a pain to make anyway.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/15/2013 1:47 pm

I've never been able to tolerate MSG but it's usually only in crap food anyway. I'm not looking into any more food sensitivities. It's far too triggering to my eating disorder. My only goal from here on out is to eat as many foods as possible--screw the consequences. You only live once and nothing could be worse than the mental strain I was living under before. I don't mind avoiding the fermented foods because that stuff is a pain to make anyway.

Did yogurt give you acne??

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 06/16/2013 2:28 pm

I also did a ton of research on histamines and their effect on skin inflammations, and fermented foods are on the top list of things to avoid if there is a histamine sensitivity or high IgE.

I was going to mention this too. All fermented foods break me out badly, probably because of the histamine content.

But certain probiotic supplements have really helped my skin. I was taking Kirkman's acidophilus for awhile and that cleared me up a lot. Now I am taking Enzymedica Pro-Bio and it's working well too. This one is improving my digestion more than the plain acidophilus supplement.

I have to avoid bifidobacteria, FOS, and inulin in probiotic supplements. Those ingredients break me out.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/16/2013 7:23 pm

Yes, yogurt gave me the biggest cysts I've ever had, including one massive, painful one right between my eyeballs. I will not be eating yogurt again anytime soon. I haven't gotten around to testing regular cheese, yet. It would be interesting (great, actually) if it were the fermentation and not the dairy. I'd love to be able to tolerate small amounts of cheese again, but don't want to get my hopes up. I used to eat a lot of cheese with no problems.

I also did a ton of research on histamines and their effect on skin inflammations, and fermented foods are on the top list of things to avoid if there is a histamine sensitivity or high IgE.

I was going to mention this too. All fermented foods break me out badly, probably because of the histamine content.

But certain probiotic supplements have really helped my skin. I was taking Kirkman's acidophilus for awhile and that cleared me up a lot. Now I am taking Enzymedica Pro-Bio and it's working well too. This one is improving my digestion more than the plain acidophilus supplement.

I have to avoid bifidobacteria, FOS, and inulin in probiotic supplements. Those ingredients break me out.

Interesting. I never took the probiotics when I wasn't eating fermented foods. Maybe I should try JUST the probiotic capsules and see what happens. It could be that the probiotics are beneficial but the fermented foods are not. I will have to see.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/17/2013 5:29 am

Yes, yogurt gave me the biggest cysts I've ever had, including one massive, painful one right between my eyeballs. I will not be eating yogurt again anytime soon. I haven't gotten around to testing regular cheese, yet. It would be interesting (great, actually) if it were the fermentation and not the dairy. I'd love to be able to tolerate small amounts of cheese again, but don't want to get my hopes up. I used to eat a lot of cheese with no problems.

>

Interesting. I never took the probiotics when I wasn't eating fermented foods. Maybe I should try JUST the probiotic capsules and see what happens. It could be that the probiotics are beneficial but the fermented foods are not. I will have to see.

Ah crap. I recently purchased some raw goat yogurt, and consumed about 50-60 grams of it every day

>

Is cheese fermented??

Also deja, would lamb broth break you out?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/17/2013 9:40 am

After years of no grains, my system was more messed up than when I started. After about a year and a half I was tested and my cholesterol was rising fast... I then talked to my friend who is a registered dietician and she told me about a study on grain-free diets. Some of the people in the study were eating a balanced diet, others were eating grain free. They couldn't even complete the study because the people on the grain free diets had their cholesterol shoot up so fast that they considered it DANGEROUS to continue! Grains do something to balance our cholesterol and that's why they are important to include in our diets in moderation.

It's called fiber. Not really hard to get.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/17/2013 10:44 am

the only grain i have is rice.

plus lots of veggies,egg,fruits(atleast 2 everyday),lentils,etc.

should i need to worry about fibre considering fibre isnt there in considerable amount in rice?

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 06/17/2013 11:26 am

HI Aana, you have lentils right?? That has tons of fibre. Even vegetables and fruits add to it. But lentils have a lot. A cooked cup almost 62% of daily fibre recommended intake. THpugh I dont think the recommended fibre intake is enough, but just FYI.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/17/2013 11:54 am

After years of no grains, my system was more messed up than when I started. After about a year and a half I was tested and my cholesterol was rising fast... I then talked to my friend who is a registered dietician and she told me about a study on grain-free diets. Some of the people in the study were eating a balanced diet, others were eating grain free. They couldn't even complete the study because the people on the grain free diets had their cholesterol shoot up so fast that they considered it DANGEROUS to continue! Grains do something to balance our cholesterol and that's why they are important to include in our diets in moderation.

No. It's not just fiber. It's something specific about the grains. I was eating a very high fiber diet before when I was grain free. All I ate other than meat was high-fiber fruits and vegetables. Same with the study. At first when my friend was telling me about this, I thought that maybe they were just eating proteins or something. But no. Their diets were protein, fruits and vegetables, just like mine was, and their levels got so high that the people conducting the study felt it would be dangerous to continue.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/18/2013 4:38 pm

No. It's not just fiber. It's something specific about the grains. I was eating a very high fiber diet before when I was grain free. All I ate other than meat was high-fiber fruits and vegetables. Same with the study. At first when my friend was telling me about this, I thought that maybe they were just eating proteins or something. But no. Their diets were protein, fruits and vegetables, just like mine was, and their levels got so high that the people conducting the study felt it would be dangerous to continue.

You've seen this study? Can you find it? Because I can't. Your body makes cholesterol out of sugars. And grains are a major source.

What's been identified in grains that lowers cholesterol is in pretty much all other seeds. Soluble fiber, some B vitamins, and phyto sterols (which are also in high fat fruits and veggies like avocados.

There is a soluble fiber, beta-glucan, that's especially beneficial that is high in a couple of grains--oats and barley. But also in mushrooms and yeast.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/19/2013 11:46 am

I'll ask my friend about the study. Most of my information I get through her. She would have no reason to lie to me. She used to be very anti-grain but what she's seen in clinical studies changed her mind. I'm not very good at understanding all the clinical speak that's why I usually go through her.

edit-- Okay I talked to her. She's going to find it for me. Apparently the same study found that wheat is good for people who aren't sensitive too, so there goes all my theories. I've pretty much already accepted that I was wrong about everything anyway, lol.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/20/2013 4:21 am

eagerly waiting!=)

MemberMember
(@ribbonettes)

Posted : 07/05/2013 7:45 pm

You were right about probiotics! I took them for about a week and it made me breakout. Not badly.. but still noticeable. Pores got bigger & more oily. I stopped taking them and my skin is almost clear again. O well. At least I know it doesn't work for me.