Notifications
Clear all

Sunscreen For Acne Prone Skin!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/09/2013 1:33 pm

hello!

(although i mean to start it primarily for those in India but in today's age boundaries aint really an issue ; considering online shopping and other modern facilities.

so,do not hesitate adding ur suggestions or posting questions/concerns or seeking additional tips on sunscreen)

according to me,

an ideal sunscreen (for acne prone skin or otherwise) should be one -

• with spf 30 or more
  • with both chemical and physical barriers(for complete protection from UVA & UVB)
  • with zinc oxide(some prefer titanium dioxide as well) as physical barrier.
  • with no-oil or any comedogenic ingredients
  • with less/no paraben,fragnance and needless excess ingredients.
  • which doesn't give a greasy/shiny/oily look after application.
  • which doesn't take ages to be absorbed or dry on skin.
  • which shouldn't make u extra sweaty.
  • gives less/no chalky look(i personally wouldn't have a big issue with a slightly pale look ,provided the stuff is good)

if u have any suggestion or concern/question/tips on sunscreens (or on the criteria) then please do post ur opinion here.!!!!!!!!

personal feed :

at present i use MELAGARD 50+ (as dermatologist prescribed).

it doesn't give me any problem except for it does make me feel a shiny/oily.

the product details :

spf 50+(protection against UVA ,UVB and some UVC)

said to be water resistant(personally never tried it in water)

application : not bad.its in a lotion form and spreads easily.

composition :

1. octinoxate 7.5%
  2. avobenzone 2.0%
  3. oxybenzone 3.0%
  4. octocrylene 3.0%
  5. zinc oxide 2.0%

price : for 60ml i had paid Rs. 280(or a lil' less.the pack says Rs. 281.87)

one minus for me : makes me moderately shiny/greasy (and i don't use any make-up or powder on top)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/12/2013 10:09 am

can anybody help here?

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:31 am

I need help on sunscreen as well. if i do use an SPF it would most likely be a combo of a moisturizer/sunscreen in one like the CeraVe A.M or the Purpose one (which both broke me out bad). Also the Banana boat oil free for the face get my honkin pimples. I heard many positives from the La Roche Posay Line. I have such a difficult time finding a good SPF that i just go back to the ol "hat method". Its easier to find a hat that looks hot, then experimenting with products (for me anyways). or the "caveman - or cavewomen- method" that involves just sitting inside all day shielding oneself from the blistering sun. The second option is unrealistic. I wish there was a company that could run a test on you to find all the ingredents that can be successfully combined with an individuals skin without dumb side effects, or irritation and dont forget pimples! urgh...

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:16 am

bump

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/01/2013 10:53 am

I think Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF fits the criteria.

meeshh liked
MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:39 pm

could send a link.

i checked a neutregena clear face sunscreen and it only had chemical barriers.

other one dan suggests is spf 15.i live in a tropical country thats hot and humid.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/01/2013 1:53 pm

could send a link.

other one dan suggests is spf 15.i live in a tropical country thats hot and humid.

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/moisturizers/spf+moisturizers.do?nType=1

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:32 am

could send a link.

its got chemical barriers and paraben(methylparaben and propylparaben).

although most people give positive responses on neutregena products.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:39 am

could send a link.

What about this one: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/healthy+defense-+daily+moisturizer+with+sunscreen+broad+spectrum+spf+50+-+sensitive+skin.do?sortby=ourPicks

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:48 am

could send a link.

What about this one: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/healthy+defense-+daily+moisturizer+with+sunscreen+broad+spectrum+spf+50+-+sensitive+skin.do?sortby=ourPicks

its got only physical barrier.lol.

also,i wonder how companies claim stuff are for sensitive skin when they have more 'hard' inactive ingredients than a wall paint company.

did u check the list of agents?lol!

thats certainly a lot.

suncote is good i'm told.

i googled it to see its just chemical though.

u would wanna check the list that dan & realmaverick have put up on sunscreen and the effectiveness of barriers of different kind.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 07/02/2013 10:44 am

could send a link.

its got only physical barrier.lol.

also,i wonder how companies claim stuff are for sensitive skin when they have more 'hard' inactive ingredients than a wall paint company.

did u check the list of agents?lol!

thats certainly a lot.

suncote is good i'm told.

i googled it to see its just chemical though.

u would wanna check the list that dan & realmaverick have put up on sunscreen and the effectiveness of barriers of different kind.

Yea I know. I'm definitely not advocating the use of those. I myself just use natural oils as moisturizers. Only 1 ingredient LOL. Most people I talk to don't realize that phrases like sensitive skin, noncomedogenic, hypoallergenic, etc. are just abused marketing terms. There are definitely some harmful ingredients in there.

I'll stay on the lookout.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/02/2013 12:51 pm

same here.

its important to find a good sunscreen.

th one is use is good but it does make me oily.(look greasy)

could be high spf that increases the greasiness.

i'll carry on my search.

kindly let us know here or just PM me in case u find anything good.

MemberMember
(@mmee90)

Posted : 07/02/2013 2:35 pm

I had a problem finding a sunscreen for my acne-prone, hypersensitive skin as far back as I can remember. A few days ago I went to spa to start Clearlight Blue Light treatments and they gave me a sample of a sunscreen, EltaMD Clear (46 SPF). I fell in love and actually went back and bought a bottle from them today. It is super light, non greasy, non irritating. It feels like I don't have anything on my skin which I thought would be impossible for my skin type. I paid $30 for the 1.7 oz at the spa and then went on Amazon and realized that I could have purchased it for $23 from there. I know better then to purchase from them now. Regardless, the stuff is worth even the $30, as little goes a long way (I haven't even gone through one sample packet yet). It is worth a try for anyone with sensitive, acne prone, oily, combo skin, people with rosacea, etc. I personally think I've found my holy grail sunscreen. Again, I've only been using it for a few days, so if anything does change--I'll update.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 07/02/2013 3:51 pm

I had a problem finding a sunscreen for my acne-prone, hypersensitive skin as far back as I can remember. A few days ago I went to spa to start Clearlight Blue Light treatments and they gave me a sample of a sunscreen, EltaMD Clear (46 SPF). I fell in love and actually went back and bought a bottle from them today. It is super light, non greasy, non irritating. It feels like I don't have anything on my skin which I thought would be impossible for my skin type. I paid $30 for the 1.7 oz at the spa and then went on Amazon and realized that I could have purchased it for $23 from there. I know better then to purchase from them now. Regardless, the stuff is worth even the $30, as little goes a long way (I haven't even gone through one sample packet yet). It is worth a try for anyone with sensitive, acne prone, oily, combo skin, people with rosacea, etc. I personally think I've found my holy grail sunscreen. Again, I've only been using it for a few days, so if anything does change--I'll update.

That sunscreen sounds amazingO-O I just looked it up on amazon and it got rave reviews. I definitely want to try it in place of my cetaphil SPF 15 facial moisturizer

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/03/2013 6:42 am

sounds really good.

but i wonder where do i get it from?

offline?

i dnt think its something that i could get at any store(medical or otherwise) in my country and online shopping is not something i've ever done.

*yeah,i am a dinosaur*

also,if its $30 then in my currency it would be Rs 1710 or so.

damn!

i will try to contact the company but i dnt think it will be of much help.

MemberMember
(@bluegreeneyed)

Posted : 07/03/2013 12:54 pm

sounds really good.

but i wonder where do i get it from?

offline?

i dnt think its something that i could get at any store(medical or otherwise) in my country and online shopping is not something i've ever done.

*yeah,i am a dinosaur*

also,if its $30 then in my currency it would be Rs 1710 or so.

damn!

i will try to contact the company but i dnt think it will be of much help.

Hi!

You can order it off of amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MSN3QQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Or at the Derm Store here:

http://m.dermstore.com/product_UV%20Clear%20Broad-Spectrum%20SPF%2046_20567.htm?xovrid=g7o30oco5gtfj58cue01b8auh1

& @ drugstore:

http://m2.drugstore.com/products/qxp380832

MemberMember
(@hope93)

Posted : 07/03/2013 1:22 pm

Olay sensitive skin spf 15 works great for me. The only downfall is that it isn't always moisturizing enough, but it does not break me out. Try to stick to physical sunscreens (mineral based- zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) rather than chemical sunscreens (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate etc.)which tend to break me out, personally.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/03/2013 10:24 pm

Daily Defense Matte Moisturizer by Image. It's by far the best sunscreen I tried, and it also works well as a moisturizer and primer. The only downside is that you can't take it with you to the beach because it goes bad! They are working on a new formula so hopefully that will resolve the issue. The other downside is that it's pricey, but to me the price is worth it for the quality.

I did a lot of research and product testing until I found this. If you message the company they might send you some samples to try. I got some samples from my local spa before buying it because it was expensive. No parabens, no chemicals, no other crap. And it helps with inflammation.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/05/2013 1:02 am

Daily Defense Matte Moisturizer by Image. It's by far the best sunscreen I tried, and it also works well as a moisturizer and primer. The only downside is that you can't take it with you to the beach because it goes bad! They are working on a new formula so hopefully that will resolve the issue. The other downside is that it's pricey, but to me the price is worth it for the quality.

I did a lot of research and product testing until I found this. If you message the company they might send you some samples to try. I got some samples from my local spa before buying it because it was expensive. No parabens, no chemicals, no other crap. And it helps with inflammation.

i wander if we have it here in india.

plus,i dnt need a moisturiser.

i come from a humid and hot country where my skin doesnt need moisturiser.(not face atleast)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/05/2013 12:14 pm

i wander if we have it here in india.

plus,i dnt need a moisturiser.

i come from a humid and hot country where my skin doesnt need moisturiser.(not face atleast)

It's not only a moisturizer, it's a UVA & UVB sunscreen with more than 30 SPF (I think it's 32 or something like that). I found that it works better for me than most sunscreens because it doesn't look chalky and it doubles as a primer if you want to wear makeup on top. If you can get samples of it through their website then give it a try.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/18/2013 4:04 am

.i have recently checked a product which seems ideal in terms of ingredients.but i am not sure it will be good enough in terms oiliness.

also,i cant be sure if it has unwanted preservatives.nothing much is mentioned.

here,

http://vlccpersonalcare.com/product/Sweat+Free+Sun+Block+Lotion+SPF+40PA%2B%2B%2B/284/

what do u guys think?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/23/2013 8:09 am

For OTC, I have used Neutrogena's Face 45 SPF and it's pretty good. Yesterday I tried a sunscreen from Zo (part of the Obagi line) at my med esthetician and OMG, it was amazing. Felt like I didn't even have it on. Expensive but worth it for something so important, IMO.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/23/2013 12:43 pm

for those okay with natural+physical blocks u must look into aroma magic sunscreen range(by Dr. Kochhar).

i am looking forward to trying one in particular,even though one concern i have is it has wheatgerm oil(which is an spf and has good effects otherwise) but is comedogenic.

otherwise seems all good.

u can check the list of ingredients here- the 1st one