Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Log

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/09/2013 1:06 pm

Well, I am back. I was on Accutane in 2006 and stayed clear until 2013. I am now in my late 20s, and I can't believe I am struggling with acne again. I do not want to go back on accutane. Therefore, I am trying Spiro. I wanted to start this log in hopes that it will work and that it would help someone. I am currently on 50 mg per day. I am on day 14 and there hasn't been any change. If anyone has any advice or personal experiences, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Day 24

I went for blood work. I called my derm, and everything came out normal. So I asked to be bumped up to 100 mg, but she said it was too soon for that. Ugh, so I am still on 50 mg. My next appointment is in mid June. Has anyone seen results with 50 mg?

I am still getting new spots everyday. I get like one or two per day. It's like a guessing game, where will the next one be? I am just so frustrated, and I want to be done with this. It consumes my mind for a big portion of the day. I have brown marks on my face from old acne. Thank goodness for make up. I am also using Atralin (maybe for about two months), so hopefully that will help. I know I am only on day 24, but I am so worried Spiro will not work. My derm didn't really give me a def answer if my acne was hormonal. But I have been on antibotics since September, and things only got worse. I hated Doryx. I was on that for like two months, and things got worse. I am currently taking one Bactrim per day, and that seems to work a little better, but obviously not perfect. I was taking two per day, but ever since I stated Spiro, my derm wanted me to cut back to one.

Also, I am only drinking water now. I cut out sweets. I know people say you should cut out dairy/other foods. But, I really do not want to lose any weight, so I have not done that.

I will update soon. It will be a month on Monday, June 3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Day 31

Feeling kind of down today. Broke out on my jaw line, way more than I ever had before. I guess this does confirm my acne is hormonal. Does anybody think Spiro has something to do with this? I am only on 50 mg per day.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/09/2013 2:59 pm

Spiro shouldn't cause you to break out. It will only stop new forming acne from coming. If your acne was already forming before starting the spiro a month ago which is very likey you are just purging what was already in your skin. Keep your head up and know that spiro can take 6 - 9 months to really show that it is working. Most people see improvement in 3 - 4 months time but real improvement in that 6 - 9 month period. It's a medication you just need to have a lot of patience with. So hang in there. I am on my 4th month of the medication at 100mg, I wonder why your doctor won't bump you to 100. That is where I started.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/10/2013 7:32 am

Thank you so much for your response, Moonlight. My derm did say that Spiro will not cause me to break out. But I was so confused when I got home and read all of the Spiro reviews. Most people said that got an IB from it. Thanks for clarifying that. I know I need patience but it's so hard during the summer months. I went to the derm in September.. Took every antibiotic before Spiro. So wish I started sooner. The only reason I got for not being bumped up was that I have not been taking it long enough. I go next week so I will see what she sends then. Thanks again!!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 06/10/2013 10:09 am

I second everything Like Moonlight said, especially the time frames. And it does seem many people get an IB. Also, many docs think 100mg is the best dose to start at. Fewer people have results with less. I've been on 100mg for almost 5 months. I've tolerated it fine - but I do not think it is working yet.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:14 am

I think everyone is different to be honest. Personally Spiro really made me feel like s***. It broke me out horribly now looking back at everything. I never used to get such big papules before being on it, its like it altered my hormones in a way which my body did NOT like. I broke out continuosly from say week 3 until the end and had horrible side effects. I had to come off it eventually. I think that actually because I was within 'normal range' it raised my oestrogen levels too high and perhaps the testosterone in me actually was not an issue to begin with but perhaps having fewer amounts of Progesterone...Im still researching into it to be honest. But I do think my oestrogen levels had arisen a bit too high and possibly caused some oestrogen dominance (you should look into ED - estrogen dominance - btw, it is interesting)

I guess, like, every hormone drug or any kind of acne treatment will inevitably have good AND bad results. Many women (on here and other websites) report amazing results from Spiro, some even early on like 3-4 months, some later. Patience is hard to come by but it does go a long way. It can be extrememly dicouraging, for that I know, when you are breaking out on something with you so so so sooo want to work for you.

I say give it another month and see how you feel. Are you using any topicals or anything at the moment? They could maybe help whilst your body is settling into the Spiro :)

Oh and I was only on 50mg too!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/17/2013 10:18 am

Thank you Michi and MissSac for sharing your experiences. I love to read different opinions because it really helps the process. I am currently using Atralin as well.

Day 43

Well, the past week has been great. I did not get any breakouts the entire week, which is very unusual. However, I did get a couple new spots yesterday, but they are not inflamed. I went to the derm today. She saw great improvement. She bumped me up to 100 mg today. I am so nervous that I will breakout within the next couple of day. My face hasn't really been consistent. When I feel like I am clearing, then the acne cycle starts all over again. So I will update soon on my progress.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/17/2013 12:52 pm

Thank you Michi and MissSac for sharing your experiences. I love to read different opinions because it really helps the process. I am currently using Atralin as well.

Day 43

Well, the past week has been great. I did not get any breakouts the entire week, which is very unusual. However, I did get a couple new spots yesterday, but they are not inflamed. I went to the derm today. She saw great improvement. She bumped me up to 100 mg today. I am so nervous that I will breakout within the next couple of day. My face hasn't really been consistent. When I feel like I am clearing, then the acne cycle starts all over again. So I will update soon on my progress.

I hope that the 100 MG works out well for you, that is my dosage and I am happy with it. Glad to hear that you are getting less and less breakouts. Sounds to me like it is starting to work its magic on you! Yay

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/17/2013 1:10 pm

Day 43

I hope that the 100 MG works out well for you, that is my dosage and I am happy with it. Glad to hear that you are getting less and less breakouts. Sounds to me like it is starting to work its magic on you! Yay

Thank you so much! I really hope it's working. But I don't want to set them too high. Do you use any gel along with Spiro? I see you listed Dans AHA, but I am not too familiar with those products. I have been using Atralin. And I thought it was great because it didn't cause my face to get dry. Then, I used a little over a pea size one night last week. BIG mistake because my face becomes super dry after a couple hours (like it hurts to smile haha). I am so mad at myself. So I have to take a break a few nights from Atralin to let my face get back to normal, then I will start using a little again each night. It is so hard. I don't want to break out by skipping a few nights, but who want dry, flaky skin when you are out at night? Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/19/2013 6:17 am

To ensure that you have the best spiro experience, take spiro with a FULL meal,.take your second dose before 3 pm, and use the brand name Aldactone (many women do not respond well to the generics). Also please cut out dairy. Dairy is naturally loaded with hormones, and most brands have additional hormones and antibiotics added.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/19/2013 9:04 am

Thank you for the advice, Green Gables. Just curious, why take the second dose before 3pm?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/20/2013 2:49 pm

Thank you for the advice, Green Gables. Just curious, why take the second dose before 3pm?

Because your androgens are higher earlier in the day. You need the spiro to kick in then when it will actually do some good.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/24/2013 7:46 am

Because your androgens are higher earlier in the day. You need the spiro to kick in then when it will actually do some good.

Thank you! That makes sense. I started to do this.

Day 50

Ok, I am starting week 7. Last week, I had a breakout for a few days. It really depressed me because the week before was so great. With the breakout, I got a couple inflamed pimples (however, not nearly as big if this was a few months ago) and a lot of clogged pores/white heads (I am not really sure what to call them, but they are very tiny bumps). But things seem to be calming down as of today. So I am hoping for a better week. I think I would feel so much better if I didn't have these brown marks on my face from old acne. Any suggestions on how to fade these marks? I am very scared to try something that would make me breakout or something that could cause irritation to my face (dryness, redness) because I am already using Atralin once a day.

So any suggestions about fading brown marks? Thank you for any advice. I am very hopeful that Spiro is working!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/24/2013 9:59 pm

Day 50

Ok, I am starting week 7. Last week, I had a breakout for a few days. It really depressed me because the week before was so great. With the breakout, I got a couple inflamed pimples (however, not nearly as big if this was a few months ago) and a lot of clogged pores/white heads (I am not really sure what to call them, but they are very tiny bumps). But things seem to be calming down as of today. So I am hoping for a better week. I think I would feel so much better if I didn't have these brown marks on my face from old acne. Any suggestions on how to fade these marks? I am very scared to try something that would make me breakout or something that could cause irritation to my face (dryness, redness) because I am already using Atralin once a day.

So any suggestions about fading brown marks? Thank you for any advice. I am very hopeful that Spiro is working!!

Are they actually BROWN or dark red? It matters because they have different causes and are treated differently. Oh and are you light-skinned? Sometimes in darker-skinned people red marks look brown...which make it harder to diagnose...

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/25/2013 7:23 am

Day 50

Are they actually BROWN or dark red? It matters because they have different causes and are treated differently. Oh and are you light-skinned? Sometimes in darker-skinned people red marks look brown...which make it harder to diagnose...

I am light-skinned, but I do tan very easily. I guess that I looked at them a little closer, I do see a tint of red.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/25/2013 5:33 pm

Okay, actual red marks respond to:

(in order of least effective to most effective, however more effective = more money + more risk)

- Acids (glycolic and lactic)

- Peels (more intense glycoclic and lactic acid treatments)

- Even more intense peels (TCA)

- IPL treatments

Some people say that retinoids help their redmarks. For some reason they never helped me despite using them for years.

Actual BROWN marks respond to:

- Kojic acid

- Azelaic acid (prescription only)

- Hydroquinone (comes in both over the counter and prescription forms. For OTC, "Nadinola Extra Strength" works well, is sold at Wal-Mart and Walgreens).

- Peels (lactic acid more than others)

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/26/2013 12:38 am

Day 43

Thank you so much! I really hope it's working. But I don't want to set them too high. Do you use any gel along with Spiro? I see you listed Dans AHA, but I am not too familiar with those products. I have been using Atralin. And I thought it was great because it didn't cause my face to get dry. Then, I used a little over a pea size one night last week. BIG mistake because my face becomes super dry after a couple hours (like it hurts to smile haha). I am so mad at myself. So I have to take a break a few nights from Atralin to let my face get back to normal, then I will start using a little again each night. It is so hard. I don't want to break out by skipping a few nights, but who want dry, flaky skin when you are out at night? Thanks again!

Sorry it took so long for me to answer. Got promoted at work and I've been working twice and much and twice as hard now, but I'm happy with the money lol.anyways. Yes I am using Dans AHA. I was using retin a and I just don't like the stuff. I've tried to like it for years and years and I'm just not a fan of the topicals. I think they make my skin worse. Some people have really great success with them but I feel I just makes my skin red and irritated and peeling and gross. I usually break out from them too and I can't use them regularly enough because it dries my skin out so much so I feel like I am constantly in the IB stage so I quit retinoids for now. Maybe for wrinkles later in life but not now.

I really like the AHA I wasn't very familiar with what it was either so I did some research and people on this site just rave about what a great product it is. So I looked a video on here that dans explains AHA and how to use it and what to use it for. I decided I wanted to give it a shot, basically it is a exfolater and a moisturizer in one type thing. It's super calming to the skin. Makes you glow and your skin look healthy not to mention how soft my face is now. Plus it smells like bananas which is a nice change from the chemically smell of retin a. I am using it to fade away my red marks from my previous acne and to even out my skin tone and I use it as a spot treatment if I get a new zit. Cuts it's life I'm half if not stops it in its tracks. Super nice products for 16 dollars it is going to last me forever because you barely use any!

Anyway how is the spiro treatment coming along now with the new dosage?

Also I do have 2 brown marks that I'm treating with Hydroquinone from my dermatologist. Takes awhile though so I recommend wearing a sunscreen daily to avoid your marks from getting darker. But Dans AHA already has lightened my red marks up! Which is saying a lot because retin a never did!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 06/26/2013 9:41 am

Thank you so much Green Gables and Moonlight for the advice. I think am going to try Dan's AHA to help with marks from old acne. It contains glycolic so maybe it will help. I want to use it at night. Do you think using Atralin (it's a Tretinoin) first then applying the Dan's AHA on top of it would be ok? I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Ugh, I just want to be done with this!

Moonlight, Congrats on your promotion. That's great!! I am doing fine with 100 mg. I have gotten a couple of new spots. But I have zero side effects.

Thank you again to both of you for your help and advice!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/26/2013 11:53 am

Thank you so much Green Gables and Moonlight for the advice. I think am going to try Dan's AHA to help with marks from old acne. It contains glycolic so maybe it will help. I want to use it at night. Do you think using Atralin (it's a Tretinoin) first then applying the Dan's AHA on top of it would be ok? I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Ugh, I just want to be done with this!

Moonlight, Congrats on your promotion. That's great!! I am doing fine with 100 mg. I have gotten a couple of new spots. But I have zero side effects.

Thank you again to both of you for your help and advice!

Well the Tretinoin you are using will provide similar effects as the AHA. You might not need to use both. But if you are really liking the Atralin I would continue using it though. I would apply the Atralin and let it completely dry up and then apply the AHA. I'd make sure you do a patch test with the AHA though and make sure itmdoent break you out or your not sensitive to it. I love it though! It's been nice!

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 07/04/2013 12:28 pm

Moonlight, I bought Dan's AHA, along with the treatment. But they are just sitting in my cabinet. I was so excited to try them, but scared at the same time. Nervous on how my face will react. So maybe eventually I will try them.

Day 60

So it has been 60 days on Spiro, which means I am done 2 months. So far I am pretty happy with the results. I really do think it is working. Right now I do not have any active, inflamed pimples. But I am sure that will change within the next couple of days because like I said before, my face has not been consistent. So I will update on that soon. I do have some small whiteheads, but they are not very noticeable. My face has been dry lately, and feeling very irritated (feels tight). I am guessing that is from the Atralin gel. So I am going to try to start using it every other night. Hopefully, I see a difference. My brown/red marks from old acne actually seems a little better this week too. Two weeks ago, I almost made an appointment for a chemical peel/laser, but today I feel better about them. I still would not go without makeup though. So as of right now, I am doing OK, but I am still waiting for the consistent result of clear skin.

Also, I am taking the birth control, Syeda. I was taking Yasmin, but this is now the generic form. I have been taking it for years. I always thought that maybe this was the cause of my sudden acne last year, but really I have no idea. I asked my derm, and she said it should be helping, not hurting my face. What is the best birth control for acne? Thanks! I hope everyone has a nice 4th of July.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:40 am

Hi, I was also on Yasmin, and I have been off it for six months now. My acne started to creep back once I'd been taking Yasmin for a year. I took Roaccutane when I was 17, and it cleared my skin wonderfully. However, now that I have come off the pill, it is gradually getting worse and it has definitely flared up.

I have been looking into Spiro but I do not have much knowledge about it. Is it safe? Does it affect monthly cycles (strangely enough, my cycle has been excellent and very regular since stopping BC, despite my hormonal imbalance that is causing my acne)?

I know something like this would benefit me a lot. I think I may have an imbalance of androgens, so something to clear this up would be wonderful. I'd hate to go back on Roaccutane as I suffered from a lot of side effects (painful joints, tiredness, etc).

I wouldn't want to take anything that affected my monthly cycles, or my mood, as the reason I came off the pill was to feel "natural" again. I've honestly tried everything under the sun to deal with my current hormonal acne (vitamins, supplements, natural skincare, water, dairy-free and sugar-free diet).

Not sure what to do and hope my skin will eventually clear up naturally. Ugh!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:23 pm

Hi, I was also on Yasmin, and I have been off it for six months now. My acne started to creep back once I'd been taking Yasmin for a year. I took Roaccutane when I was 17, and it cleared my skin wonderfully. However, now that I have come off the pill, it is gradually getting worse and it has definitely flared up.

I have been looking into Spiro but I do not have much knowledge about it. Is it safe? Does it affect monthly cycles (strangely enough, my cycle has been excellent and very regular since stopping BC, despite my hormonal imbalance that is causing my acne)?

I know something like this would benefit me a lot. I suffer from excess hair growth, which also affects my self esteem. I think I may have an imbalance of androgens, so something to clear this up would be wonderful. I'd hate to go back on Roaccutane as I suffered from a lot of side effects (painful joints, tiredness, etc).

I wouldn't want to take anything that affected my monthly cycles, or my mood, as the reason I came off the pill was to feel "natural" again. I've honestly tried everything under the sun to deal with my current hormonal acne (vitamins, supplements, natural skincare, water, dairy-free and sugar-free diet).

I was also on accutane last year and it cleared me up great too. But sure enough I started to break out slowly but surely. So I started to take spiro. It hasnt affected my mood what so ever, as far as periods I can't speak personally on that. I am on depo and I don't get a period at all. I have seen mixed information about about the periods though, some girls do have spotty periods but usually they have PCOS too. With that comes missed periods or multiple periods a month. Your excess hair growth sounds like a side effects of PCOS have you been looked at for that before?

Reguardless I think spiro is something you should check out. If is safe and it's safe for long term use as well. It can lower blood pressure though and some girls can get light headed some have even passed out. Ive not had issues with this at all though. My blood pressure hasn't changed at all since I started taking it 7 months ago. And it's worked great for me. I'm clear knock on wood and have a white head a month and I had moderate acne prior to taking accutane and starting spiro.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/06/2013 2:50 pm

Post-accutane acne is a real psychological pain, as well as a physical pain. The anger I feel about my acne returning seems to be higher than the anger I felt before Accutane, just for having spots. It really is a smack in the face, considering how much effort and pain I put into getting rid of the acne. I have been considering another course of Roaccutane, but a milder one. Still trying to decide, but I'm keeping my options open, which is why I'm looking into Spiro (in case my acne continues to worsen).

I haven't looked into PCOS, but I have looked into the symptoms, as I've heard about the acne/hair growth related symptoms. However, irregular periods are a common symptom, and my cycle is very regular, even before I started birth control. I should probably arrange a doctor visit, as I was planning on doing this anyway once I've sorted my head around all these acne solutions - especially if my acne doesn't improve (I'm currently trying to battle with vitamins, diet changes, etc, and may need to stick with it to see the long-term results). I'm getting extremely impatient, though, and I know that the longer I wait, the worse my acne could potentially be. I also have scarring from my previous bouts of acne in the past, so I'd hate to develop more scars.

That's great that it is working for you. Do you need to take Spiro everyday or are you taking a course? Once you stop, does the acne return? I'm trying to balance my hormones out at the moment, as I came off the pill six months ago and I think that's why my skin may be going crazy. I don't want to disrupt the imbalance any further.

Thank you for your advice!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/06/2013 3:29 pm

You do take it daily. It has a very short life. Like if I took it today and not tomorrow it would be out of my system. So that is nice. So she's if your hormones haven't straighten out by the time you quit spiro you would get acne again. I was looking for a long term solution from accutane too. I didn't get it either and I am angry too. I went though lots of pain too. My joints are still messed up from it and I had thinning hair afterwards. That medication sucks the life out of you, so I wasn't thrilled when my acne returned either. So spiro was my next choice unless I want scars all over my face and body. I pick the spiro. I feel for you Hun.

Good luck with whatever you choice to do.

MemberMember
(@cali04)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:58 pm

I know something like this would benefit me a lot. I think I may have an imbalance of androgens, so something to clear this up would be wonderful. I'd hate to go back on Roaccutane as I suffered from a lot of side effects (painful joints, tiredness, etc).

I know Spiro is fine to take for a long time. How safe it is? Really, I do not know. It does not affect my monthly cycles. I have read so many reviews about Spiro, and some people do say that it caused an irregular cycle. But, I have not had any side effects. Good luck to whatever you decide!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 07/07/2013 5:22 pm

I know Spiro is fine to take for a long time. How safe it is? Really, I do not know. It does not affect my monthly cycles. I have read so many reviews about Spiro, and some people do say that it caused an irregular cycle. But, I have not had any side effects. Good luck to whatever you decide!

That is very lucky! I have learned that irregular cycles, weight loss, drowsiness and a low sex drive are common side effects. All of those put me off a lot, but how would I know if I'd be lucky enough not to experience these?

Like Moonlight - yes that is nice, it also sounds a lot safer than Accutane, as Accutane side effects can PERSIST for a long time afterwards; in fact, I'm still suffering from slight pain in my joints, DESPITE my skin being spotty again! I'm going to arrange an appointment with a derm soon, to address my skin issues and to check up on my health, in case there are any underlying reasons (although acne is a genetic factor, unfortunately for me). I feel like my current regime may be helping slightly, but I am not sure if it will clear my skin completely - and I want these spots to bugger off!

I will definitely be keeping Spiro in mind.