Notifications
Clear all

Cant Shed Off Dead Skin Cells

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 06/09/2013 8:13 am

Hello!

According to acne.about.com i suffer from a condition called retention hyperkeratosis which apparently is quite common for acne prone skin. For those of you that don't know what it is it's basicly overproduction of dead skin cells and my skin not being able to shed them off properly. (read more here http://acne.about.com/od/acnetreatments/a/exfolbasics.htm )

I believe a lot of my acne appears from this condition. After i shower i can see dozens of skin cells just laying on top everywhere i have acne.

I've previously tried to manually exfoliate them which made my skin terribly irritated. Lately I've been using Acne.org AHA+ about 3 times a week and it seems to be doing some help. However, it doesn't finish the whole job. It is still some dead skin cells left there after I shower. Another weird thing about this cream is that when I wash my face the day after some of the cream comes out of my skin again (which is guess clogges them?)

So my final question is if anyone would recommend me any products to get red of these dead skin cells? Greatly appericiated :)

post-186606-0-96965300-1370783560.jpg

Picture is taken today.

post-186606-0-96965300-1370783560.jpg

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:10 pm

i would suggest a bha wash(mild concentration as per sensitivity of ur skin and balanced pH) to be used twice a day everyday(instead of a regular wash).

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 06/10/2013 8:31 am

Thank you for answering :) Would this be fine? http://www.acne.org/murad-aha-bha-exfoliating-cleanser-reviews/886/page1.html

There is so little reviews on the products so i don't really know...

Any other suggestions out there too?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/10/2013 10:49 am

reviews should be considered after u've figured out a product that fulfills all ur criteria.

they should be -

• a mild bha(salicylic acid 1% or less to start with - since u dnt have severe flaky skin problems u'll nt need high concentration ones but increasing the strength as u get used to the ingredients is still an option),
  • paraben free,
  • no oil(if its a cream cleanser),
  • no comedogenic ingredients,
  • no SLS,
  • less/no fragnance,
  • depending on the texture of ur skin u can choose a cream bases or foaming cleanser,
  • pH balanced(around 5.5 or lil' less - i don't prefer really low pH ones just like the high pH ones),
  • devoid of unnecessary harsh chemicals, no physical scrubing particles(specially if skin is sensitive).
MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 06/11/2013 5:13 am

I think i'll try this then... http://www.murad.com/aha-bha-exfoliating-cleanser

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:28 am

its got jojoba beads.so be careful about physical scrubing.it may or may not irritate ur skin.

it also has SLS( Sodium Laureth Sulfate) and paraben (Methylparaben, Propylparaben).[check the ingredients list].

plus,although am not sure - but if u have never used aha or bha before ,i;d say choose something that has maxm one or two acids in them.that would make it mild.

i cant guarantee,this is a good choice or bad choice.

i'm just bringing the cons before u.

u could still try and see for urself.

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 06/11/2013 8:58 am

oh, okay. well, its kind of hard to find any bha cleansers out there. I found one from Paula's Choice, but it's so expensive to ship all the way down to norway.. I guess i'll look some more

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/11/2013 10:27 am

paula's one good.so i've heard.i've never used it myself.

i use a bha wash named "saslic".its got 1% SA and pH of 5.5

one complaint many have is : after one stops using it,acne is likely to come back.

but well!

i can only infer that since the exfoliation stops,the acne resurface.

MemberMember
(@fischer1)

Posted : 06/12/2013 4:27 pm

After i take a hot bath at about 40-42 degrees celcius i get like all my dead skin turning into a paste like mixture on my forehead do you get this too?

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/12/2013 4:37 pm

After i take a hot bath at about 40-42 degrees celcius i get like all my dead skin turning into a paste like mixture on my forehead do you get this too?

I can relate mate.I have been having this same problem since i started the caveman regimen.I have even put up a post regarding this problem.When i sweat profusely my cheeks become white with a thick dead skin paste.And once i tried exfoliating with honey and oats and it all went horribly bad.I'm completely at sea. Just don't know how to exfoliate.And not exfoliating has it's own issues besides the aesthetic ones.A lot of dead skin on your face makes your face prone to white heads.Not to forget the dull complexion which it gives you.

If you find a solution,help me too smile.png

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/13/2013 1:40 am

u rip ur mositure layer of ur face with that hot water.

MemberMember
(@babser)

Posted : 06/14/2013 7:38 am

i think i found out what my problem was...and i feel kind of stupid.

after almost 1 year of using acne.orgs mouisturizer i tried to stop using it for a few days, and now my face is getting much better. my dead skin cells stopped laying on top of the skin after i shower! :) i think it might have been the jojoba oil that made the cells sticky and thereby not shedding off.. this is just my theory though

MemberMember
(@fischer1)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:04 pm

in the past, before i used acne.org regiment for 3 months.. it was'nt a problem for me, but now it if for some odd reason... imma try not to use hot water anymore.. to see if that helps :-)

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 06/14/2013 4:34 pm

Aanabill how can you tell if its the mositure layer or just dead skin.Because I get the same thing,I get that dead skin turning into a paste like mixture all over my face, and it's not flaking it's just sticky.And my face is also very dehydrated looking. Should I remove that paste layer off my face or leave it alone? thanks

I use to have very very oily skin and use so many acne products, I get the flaky dead skin peeling around my mouth and cheeks,but my face look normal.

Now couple years later I get this white sticky paste all over my face.and that is when my face turn really dehydrated looking.you can't see the white sticky paste but when it get wet it turn white and disappear in 3 mins. And my skin don't look healthy anymore ,it's very dehydrated

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/15/2013 1:34 am

dead skin cannot be removed just by washing with water.

that is if the rate at which upper layer should get removed is normal for u, it is okay.

but if u need exfoliation,just water wont give u that.

(dnt forget pH of water is 7 in general)

but moisture of ur skin is taken away(i am talking abt the external lipid layer) by pH imbalance and also warm water,harsh chemicals etc.

hot water(and that hot is) worse actually.

if u normally wash ur face with water(u know just splash water) the pH comes back to normal after a while(resilient action of ur skin) and also the healthy oily layer is brought back(if u r healthy,eat well and lead a good lifestyle - this is a trait u will have easily.its sign of healthy skin and body) but constant use of warm /hot water will rip the layer off and gradually ur skin may/may not lose the power to bounce back.

this ripped skin(within any protective layer of oil) is unhealthy and prone to problems.

there are posts on what the effects are,i'd suggest u go through those.

maintaining the basic pH OF SKIN which ranges from 4-6(average being 5.5) is best.

although they say exfoliators should have low pH but i feel even extremely low ones aint ideal.

i stick to a balanced pH wash and let my skin deal with the pH of water by itself.

white sticky paste?

i know u guys keep saying but i am not getting it.

whoever gets it please click a pic nect time.

i can guess its dead skin all messed up with sweat and sebum!

do u follow caveman regimen?or anything similar?

MemberMember
(@fischer1)

Posted : 06/16/2013 12:36 pm

After the use of the regiment, i now sit here 4-5 months later... the paste is like the dead skin building up over a week or two... when you then take a steamy shower or enter a saunce or w/e hot kind of water.. this skin turns into a paste (because of the hotness of the water) almost like its melting into a light wax, if you let this wax dry it turns into skin again. I'll see if i can get a photo next time i take a steamy shower for you, but this is my best description.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/16/2013 1:11 pm

After the use of the regiment, i now sit here 4-5 months later... the paste is like the dead skin building up over a week or two... when you then take a steamy shower or enter a saunce or w/e hot kind of water.. this skin turns into a paste (because of the hotness of the water) almost like its melting into a light wax, if you let this wax dry it turns into skin again. I'll see if i can get a photo next time i take a steamy shower for you, but this is my best description.

Bingo man! i experience the same thing everyday!

MemberMember
(@fischer1)

Posted : 06/16/2013 4:07 pm

vbHjNCF.jpg

b4oIPCW.jpg

These are from today... its not a hot shower but still warm, and this is my result.. i exfoliate once a week and this is the result every time... jesus have that regiment messed up my face sad.png ( i quit the regiment 5 months ago, and my face is still going haywire..)

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 06/17/2013 1:12 am

Fischer1 - did you follow the regimen step by step? (barely touching your face and not rubbing it?)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/17/2013 1:24 am

regiment?

do u mean the cavemen or modified caveman regimen?

what cleanser do u use everyday?

exfoliation in what way?physical or chemical?

MemberMember
(@fischer1)

Posted : 06/17/2013 1:07 pm

This is after 5 months of not using the regiment (dan's from acne.org), yes i was really careful not to lay pressure or anything else.. what ive noticed is that when people start the regiment they get these red marks, which i also did.. it broke down my protective layer, so now im REALLY prone to breaksouts.. plus the exfoliation problem (i physically exfoliate only once a week, and very gently to not damage further).

So ive got this picture that shows what my skin looked like before the regiment (dans regiment)

2wrBgjJ.jpg

As you can see i got some closed comedones and 1 or 2 inflamed pimples, i wanted it gone and ended up with the picture from the other post

I stopped the regiment after 3 months, because i realised maybe having a harsh cemical on my face 24 hours a day, was not such a good idea.. and yeah i was right.

i no longer "cleanse my face with a cleanser" i use a washcloth and make it moist and dap my face, my face cant take the cemicals anymore.