Notifications
Clear all

Red Wine And Break Outs

MemberMember
(@elliethedutch)

Posted : 06/09/2013 5:15 am

This is my first post!

Anyway, I've been fighting cystic acne since I was about 14, I'm almost 24 now. Its gotten MUCH better in the 6 months or so. I think that has something to do with me changing my eating habits and my face washing routines.

About 2 weeks ago, I had 2 glasses of red wine with dinner and the next day I had 2 HUGE cysts on my face, after being clear for weeks. I thought about being the wine, but then thought that maybe it could be because my period would be soon. Then about a week ago, I had a glass of red wine with dinner and the next morning I woke up with another HUGE cyst on my cheek, my whole cheek was swollen!

Thats when I thought about the only thing that had changed and that was drinking wine. I didn't drink any for like 5 months and my face was fine and clear then I drink one glass and BAM face looks terrible!

Everything is mostly gone now, thankfully.

I've had beer between drinking the wine and nothing, the beer doesn't do anything to my skin.

I'll give some other background about my routine and diet.

I wash my face twice a day with Burts Bees Sensitive facial cleanser with cotton extract. Then if I get sweaty or anything, I rinse my face with warm water. And I use Acnevir at night before bed and in the morning until the afternoon when I usually rinse it off.

My diet consists of a lot of coffee(which doesn't effect my face), a lot of water, mostly fruits and veggies. No milk or cheeses. Lean meats. VERY little processed food, almost no fast food and no soda. I workout in a more "caveman" way, outside and during housework.

But my questions are; is it the tannins in the red wine? Does anyone else have any issues with red wine and their skin? Its really hard to find stuff on tannins and skin, has no one related them? Is it something else in the wine?

Hope this wasn't too long!
MemberMember
(@wellgood)

Posted : 01/13/2014 5:20 am

I believe it's the histamines/preservatives in the wine. Just recently I indulged in a few glasses of red and bam I have a spot come up on my otherwise clear skin. White wine doesn't seem to affect me this way so it would be something in the red for sure.

Red wine has 20200% more histamines than white wine,