19 Weeks On The Reg...

Notifications
Clear all

19 Weeks On The Regimen. Here's What I've Learned.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/08/2013 9:02 am

Hi guys! Just checking in. I haven't really been on here for a couple of days since I've been busy with work. I guess I just wanted to give a quick update on my skin and also since I have been on the regimen for a couple of months now...a quick "what I have learned" post.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

1. Everybodys skin is different. And the same product will react differently to different people not only because of their skin types but also because of their skin sensitivity, or where they live, or because of their lifestyle...etc. In my old posts I have mentioned that I do not currently use any of Dan's products, so my store bought regimen products won't always be the best choice for others. Cleansers and moisturizers were not created equally so be a very conscious regimen user. Listen to your skin but also listen to Dan's instructions.

2. The regimen shouldn't be something you go into lightly. You should be emotionally, physically, financially prepared to go through discomfort and maybe even a little embarrassment when you get into it. A lot of redness, skin shedding and having that hot sun burnt feeling isn't for the weak. I also say financially because let's face it, not all of us have easy access to the right products and sometimes ordering online can take a toll on our wallets.

3. Prevention is better than cure. Or in our case, since acne has no definite cure, prevention is better than something-that-makes-acne-go-away-fast. The regimen has always been advertised as something that controls acne. This isn't a gimmick that they tell you to use for 3 months and it takes your acne away and you don't have to use it anymore. It is a preventative measure to keep your skin as acne free as possible. So it is always a possibility that you still get acne even when being on the regimen.

4. Sometimes being a girl sucks! Yes, there is that time of the month where everything goes haywire and zits just want to come out of our faces. And sadly sometimes even The Regimen can't handle it. Although it has controlled my acne, hormones are just too strong sometimes. But no worries, they do go away quicker being on The Regimen.

5. Sulking won't get you anywhere. I know first hand that we can all get depressed when our skin gets bad. It is painful and embarrassing and you get self conscious and you get bullied and get called bad names and people just look down on you and feel sorry for you. If you continue to dwell on the bad, then you will stay there for a really long time. Just remember that it does get better but you have to make a conscious effort to start. And as hard as it is, you have to lift yourself up during those times when other don't. Surround yourself with the best possible family and friends that have your back.

6. Jojoba oil and AHA are the shit! I was sooooo skeptical about jojoba oil starting the regimen. It didn't make sense to me at all to put oil on an already oily face. I was thinking...what kind of dumb idea is this Dan guy trying to put into my head that it will make my skin nice and soft and will help with clearing my acne. After deciding to give it a try, I should probably put my foot in my mouth. It has done so much good for my skin that I can't get enough of the stuff. Twice a day I put this stuff on with my moisturizer and it has made my skin so much softer, made my face not as shiny looking and it makes my makeup go on much better. As for AHA, well it has been a god send in taking away a lot of they hyper pigmentation left by my acne. I have nothing but LOVE for these products.

7. Makeup looks better on good skin. I bet most of use girls on here have tried so much makeup because we need to find the perfect acne cover-up. When I got clear I just saw the difference and my makeup looked so much better now that I had nothing to hide. Going bare-faced is even better. I am not a total girly girl...so my tomboy self loves that I don't have to spend so much time trying to hide my acne covered face. When I do put on makeup, these days I go very light and it looks 10x better.

8. Patience is a requirement. Clear skin will not happen overnight. The Regimen could help get you there but do not expect miracles to happen. Do not get so anxious that other people have cleared there skin in a month and you haven't. It will always be different but you just need to give things time to do their job. You know how it is...when something is sooooo fucked up, you can't expect things to get better right away...it is a process.

This has somewhat been a lengthy post but if you got to this part it means you actually took your time to read it. Basically just my two cents about being on the regimen. I wish all the new regimen users luck.

In case you haven't seen how bad my acne was, I shall link before and after pics.

BEFORE: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327729-10-weeks-on-the-regimenwith-pics/

AFTER: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327680-10-weeks-on-the-regimen/

And there you go. Have a good day everyone! :)

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/08/2013 10:15 am

Fantastic post nicmic, I'm sure many people here will gain a lot of encouragement and insight from your experience.

I completely agree about having to be emotionally prepared when starting to follow the regimen because for many the early weeks aren't easy.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post :)

MemberMember
(@gillianbb)

Posted : 06/08/2013 11:41 pm

It brings people encouragement

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/10/2013 12:19 am

Fantastic post nicmic, I'm sure many people here will gain a lot of encouragement and insight from your experience.

I completely agree about having to be emotionally prepared when starting to follow the regimen because for many the early weeks aren't easy.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post smile.png

It is definitely a struggle when you start The Regimen process but very worth it in my opinion. :)

It brings people encouragement ï¼ï¼ž

I really hope it does! :) thanks.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/10/2013 6:03 am

Your 'regimen journey' has been really amazing - you've had amazing results and for me it's really encouraging that you got to that point with store bought products (because that's what I'll have to do as I can't easily buy online or afford the shipping). Just curious, how quickly do you go through a tube of benzac ac using the full amount recommended for the regimen?

Congrats on your great results and clear skin! :)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/10/2013 7:40 am

Your 'regimen journey' has been really amazing - you've had amazing results and for me it's really encouraging that you got to that point with store bought products (because that's what I'll have to do as I can't easily buy online or afford the shipping). Just curious, how quickly do you go through a tube of benzac ac using the full amount recommended for the regimen?

Congrats on your great results and clear skin! smile.png

Thanks Lilly! :)

I'm pretty amazed myself that I did it without Dan's products. Although I just recently ordered two huge bottles of his BP because a friend of mine just came back from the States. If you ever have that happen, then I'm sure you could save a ton.

The big tube of benzac which is about 60 grams I think lasts me about two weeks. I do a whole fingers length every AM and PM. Although it's not too bad, I would prefer to have a huge bottle like Dan's but it is good to know there are alternatives out there.

Good luck on your regimen journey. I hope you have great success with it. :)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/10/2013 7:42 pm

Thanks Lilly! smile.png

I'm pretty amazed myself that I did it without Dan's products. Although I just recently ordered two huge bottles of his BP because a friend of mine just came back from the States. If you ever have that happen, then I'm sure you could save a ton.

The big tube of benzac which is about 60 grams I think lasts me about two weeks. I do a whole fingers length every AM and PM. Although it's not too bad, I would prefer to have a huge bottle like Dan's but it is good to know there are alternatives out there.

Good luck on your regimen journey. I hope you have great success with it. smile.png

That's quicker than I thought! I might have to check if it's cheaper to buy Dan's product in bulk (like a years supply at once - I wonder if the product keeps that long though?) or if it's cheaper to buy benzac every couple of weeks for a year...

Definitely good to know the benzac worked for you and was a good alternative to Dan's. :)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/10/2013 8:52 pm

Thanks Lilly! smile.png

Good luck on your regimen journey. I hope you have great success with it. smile.png

Thanks smile.png

That's quicker than I thought! I might have to check if it's cheaper to buy Dan's product in bulk (like a years supply at once - I wonder if the product keeps that long though?) or if it's cheaper to buy benzac every couple of weeks for a year...

Definitely good to know the benzac worked for you and was a good alternative to Dan's. smile.png

I think it is better to buy in bulk. I think I paid around $70 for two big bottles plus the shipping to my friends place in California. And usually I pay around the same price for four tubes of benzac which lasts me two months. Hopefully Dan's big BP will last me longer.

MemberMember
(@lizhernandez)

Posted : 06/10/2013 10:42 pm

Wow your skin looks great!!' Really encourages me to keep on going with it!! I'm just six weeks on the regimen & these flakes are driving me crazy >_< good luck!!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:07 am

Wow your skin looks great!!' Really encourages me to keep on going with it!! I'm just six weeks on the regimen & these flakes are driving me crazy oompf.gif good luck!!

The flakes were what I hated most!! The redness and itching I could deal with but when it came to the flakes, I hated it because it was really noticeable. I had to carry a little bottle of moisturizer with me wherever I went.

Oh well...on the bright side...it does pass. Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/16/2013 2:09 pm

Hey there, random question for you. I've finally started to get some flaking on my face and I was thinking about introducing some exfoliation into my routine. I'm gonna pick up St Ives Apricot Scrub.

I notice it's listed in the products that you use and it says you use it twice a week, but how does it figure into the Regimen for you? Like do use cleanser first, then exfoliator, then BP and moisturizer? lol just trying to get a better idea of how I should use it.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/16/2013 6:24 pm

Hey there, random question for you. I've finally started to get some flaking on my face and I was thinking about introducing some exfoliation into my routine. I'm gonna pick up St Ives Apricot Scrub.

I notice it's listed in the products that you use and it says you use it twice a week, but how does it figure into the Regimen for you? Like do use cleanser first, then exfoliator, then BP and moisturizer? lol just trying to get a better idea of how I should use it.

Hi Flagg,

I really like the Apricot Scrub. I haven't updated my signature because it says I use it in the PM but now I actually use it in the AM. The morning after I do my all AHA routine, I like to use the Apricot scrub to help the AHA take away the dead skin cells. I use it before my cleanser and I still proceed with the three steps after. I find that using it before the cleanser isn't as harsh on your skin as doing it after the cleansing step.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/16/2013 7:12 pm

Hi Flagg,

I really like the Apricot Scrub. I haven't updated my signature because it says I use it in the PM but now I actually use it in the AM. The morning after I do my all AHA routine, I like to use the Apricot scrub to help the AHA take away the dead skin cells. I use it before my cleanser and I still proceed with the three steps after. I find that using it before the cleanser isn't as harsh on your skin as doing it after the cleansing step.

Awesome, thanks for the help! :)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/17/2013 1:19 am

Hi Flagg,

Awesome, thanks for the help! smile.png

Sure thing!

I do advise though that you only use the scrub when your face isn't irritated from the BP. If it is, try exfoliating using your hands and the jojoba oil before you cleanse your face.

MemberMember
(@acnebrah)

Posted : 06/17/2013 12:28 pm

Question:

I am in my second week of the regimen. I am using about 2/3 a finger length of BP on my face. Last night I kept waking up and was up till about 6am, because my face was very inflamed, burning, tingling, numb and itchy as the same time. I didnt feel this until hours after applying the regimen before bed. Now this is the second time this has happened to me in about 9 days on the regimen. I have oily sensitive skin and I am not using any moisturizer at the moment. I have never used moisturizer in my life as I feel it will clog my pores. I did a year of accutane without any moisturizer and was fine.

Did this ever happen to you? And do you think it is a result of not using moisturizer?

Also why do you use Cetaphil Facial Cleanser over Dans Cleanser? Also I assume your using the Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Any reason your using this one over the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser?

Also is there a specific reason why you use 2 different moisturizers?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/17/2013 7:58 pm

Question:

I am in my second week of the regimen. I am using about 2/3 a finger length of BP on my face. Last night I kept waking up and was up till about 6am, because my face was very inflamed, burning, tingling, numb and itchy as the same time. I didnt feel this until hours after applying the regimen before bed. Now this is the second time this has happened to me in about 9 days on the regimen. I have oily sensitive skin and I am not using any moisturizer at the moment. I have never used moisturizer in my life as I feel it will clog my pores. I did a year of accutane without any moisturizer and was fine.

Did this ever happen to you? And do you think it is a result of not using moisturizer?

Also why do you use Cetaphil Facial Cleanser over Dans Cleanser? Also I assume your using the Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Any reason your using this one over the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser?

Also is there a specific reason why you use 2 different moisturizers?

Oh man! Let me just tell you that even though you were on accutane, or any even the harshest of topicals for your acne, MOISTURIZER is a MUST!!! Your skin will feel burnt and dry and red and irritated if you don't. So I am not really surprised that you are feeling uncomfortable right now. And it is only week two, it could still get worse.

I use Cetaphil as my facial cleanser because it works well for me. Hasn't broken me out at all. I did use the Daily Facial cleanser when I started. I just switched to the Gentle cleanser about a month ago. Both work well for me. I have yet to update my signature that is all.

And I use different moisturizers because my AM moisturizer is lighter than my PM moisturizer. It is more ideal for the day time and where I live because it's really hot and humid.

Again...if you are on the regimen...USE MOISTURIZER! Haha.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 06/17/2013 8:08 pm

I hate to keep bugging you with questions, lol...but where do you get the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel? I've been using just jojoba oil as daily AM moisturizer but I don't think it's enough so I'm looking for a light daily moisturizer that won't make me look super oily. Also how much is it usually?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/17/2013 8:18 pm

I hate to keep bugging you with questions, lol...but where do you get the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel? I've been using just jojoba oil as daily AM moisturizer but I don't think it's enough so I'm looking for a light daily moisturizer that won't make me look super oily. Also how much is it usually?

Not a problem at all, Flagg. Questions are welcome. :)

I get the the Clinique moisturizer from Clinique counters. I think if you got a place that sells sort of high end make-up you might find it. They usually have it at big malls where I'm from.

I get it for about $60 over here...but I just realized in the States it is waaaaay cheaper. I think about $25. The bottle isn't that big but it does last me around 3-4months since I only use it in the AM.

Right now I'm almost out of it so I might see if Cerave is a good alternative for that. But I really do love the Clinique one. No odd fragrance and it hasn't ever broken me out. If you wanna give it a test run, I think they sell smaller sized ones too.