Notifications
Clear all

How Much Does Your Look Cost?

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/07/2013 11:25 pm

Hey guys,

As I'm getting older I'm becoming much more aware of money. As in, I used to understand my products were expensive, but now that I'm in control of my expenses, I literally cannot sustain it all.

So, how about you? What does your routine cost, from bed to out the door? Let's keep it strictly to face.

I'll start off.

Skincare

Cleanser - $30, 2 months

Serum - $40, 1 month or much less

Moisturizer - $20, 6 months (used sparingly!)

SPF - $20, 6 months (used sparingly!)

Makeup

BB cream - $20, 2 months

powder - $60, 1 month (!!!!)

blush - $30, probably years

eye shadow - $8, years

Makeup brushes - $100 in all, will last forever!

Lip balm - $5, 6 months

Lip stick - $10, forever!

From looking at this, my big ticket items are my cleanser, powder, serum, and BB cream. I definitely should switch powders. I'm looking for a cheaper one currently. And I would like a new cheaper cleanser!

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:38 am

Wow, I've never even thought about this! It's probably going to be more than I'd like to think.

skincare

cleanser, moisturiser, spot treatment - $60, two months

spf - $30, three months +

makeup

moisturiser/primer - $30, three months +

foundation - $55, six months

powder - $30, six months

blush - $20, six months

mascara - $48, three months +

makeup brushes - around $20

Jeez rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/09/2013 11:46 am

Wow, where do you get your powder from? I go through my powder so quickly. I get a lot of my makeup from sephora.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/09/2013 7:54 pm

I cleanse water only. With oil cleansing to remove eye make up.

Bottle organic safflower oil for moisture and cleansing which lasts a few months as I also use on body and my dogs skin problems - whole foods @$8

Large bottle of aloe Vera whole foods brand, which lasts about a month as I also ingest it and use on the dog. @$8

Vegetable glycerine for under eye moisture. Can't say how much it costs as it was ages ago and I've hardly made a dent in it. I'm thinking about $8

A few things I mix in with the aloe besides the oil and glycerine: niacinimide capsule, turmeric powder, green tea powder. Bought ages ago. The turmeric costs pennies.

If I needed a spot treatment, it would be a plain aspirin dissolved in water.

Makeup

Everyday minerals powder foundation $14 . Lasts many months.

Sparkly highlighter powder from everyday minerals. I think it was a sample

Rimmel mascara bought when on sale. $not much.

Drugstore eye liner pencil

My blush, bronzer etc I've had for ages and I think they were also rimmel. I don't wear them much.

Eye shadows are also old and i don't wear them much. I think they are from Sally's. little individual colors that snap together.

Wet & wild lip stain $5 also don't wear it much. Doesn't really stain. Pretty color though.

plant oil based lip balms cost a bit more, but I order at a discount from vitacost. Tint myself. Scoop it out, melt in dixicup in microwave with a little chunk of lipstick, stir, pour back in tube

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/09/2013 8:14 pm

Well let's see here...

Skin care:

Face wash $13.00 2-3 months

Face cream $ 14.00 a year little goes a long way

Aha $ 16.00 6 months

Witch Hazel .90 last about a year

Cotton pads for witch hazel $ 3.00 1 1/2 months

Retin a $15.00 6 months

SPF. $ 19.00 a year

Make up:

Foundation $25.00. 7 months

Other foundation I mix $7.00 2 months

Powder $9.00 4 months

Blush $7.00 7 months

Eyeliner $12.00 1 year

Mascara $17.00 3 months

Bronzer $10.00 6 months

Brushes $85.00 years and years

Eye shadows $20.00 a year

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/09/2013 11:23 pm

Too much to count...

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/10/2013 12:00 am

Wow, you guys seem a lot better than me. I think my makeup is really getting me. Gah...

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/10/2013 2:25 am

Wow, where do you get your powder from? I go through my powder so quickly. I get a lot of my makeup from sephora.

I use Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder. It's very, very pale though, which suits my skin well, but not sure what it'd look like on darker skins. It's not the best powder I've used, but for the price it does it's job!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/10/2013 6:31 am

Why is everyone using powder? I didn't think it was used much anymore. Way back in high school I used to use a ton to try to reduce oil, but all it did was give me dry flaky but still oily skin. Mits better to blot. And if you are using it for oil, has anyone tried using milk of magnesia under makeup to absorb it?

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/10/2013 12:23 pm

How would you use milk of magnesia? I still use a finishing powder, very little amount on top of my BB cream to mask the shine. I don't use so much that I get cakey, but it gives a matte finish.

I don't generally have very oily skin (only when I was younger). I'm now concerned with my makeup clogging my skin! So I might make the full switch to powder. I've been doing it for the past couple days to give my skin a break from the BB cream. I'll probably start alternating BB cream days just to reduce exposure.

I use Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder. It's very, very pale though, which suits my skin well, but not sure what it'd look like on darker skins. It's not the best powder I've used, but for the price it does it's job!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/10/2013 12:52 pm

I use the powder like Vanbelle said she uses hers. I use my powder just to set my foundation and that's all. I just use a very small amount to stop the shiny part of the foundation. I'm not applying it over and over throughout the day since I am not a very oily person ( knock on wood).

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/10/2013 2:54 pm

I use the powder like Vanbelle said she uses hers. I use my powder just to set my foundation and that's all. I just use a very small amount to stop the shiny part of the foundation. I'm not applying it over and over throughout the day since I am not a very oily person ( knock on wood).

Hey, have you always used liquid foundations? Liquid provides the best coverage but I'm debating coming off it.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/10/2013 3:06 pm

Not always. There was a time period when I used powder and just a bit of concealer. My better days of little to no acne..

Which worked great when I didn't have anything big to cover. I am right now using a full coverage foundation from Clinique that I love and it covers just about anything which is nice! It's heavy though so I mix it to lighten up the foundation. Plus I am pale as pale and the lightest color Clinique offers is still to dark.... I started using this makeup while I was on accutane over a year ago and wanted to cover the horrid breakout it gave me and I love it! Causes no break outs or anything. I am currently on spiro right now and clear and I am waiting for some AHA to arrive so I can work on getting these marks off my face. Once they are gone I will probably move back to a powder and concealer needed type thing..

Why are you thinking of stopping foundation? no need for the coverage anymore or is it breaking you out?

Hey, have you always used liquid foundations? Liquid provides the best coverage but I'm debating coming off it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:03 pm

How would you use milk of magnesia? I still use a finishing powder, very little amount on top of my BB cream to mask the shine. I don't use so much that I get cakey, but it gives a matte finish.

Hmm. i thought thought the matte look was out. But it could be back in again for all I pay attention to such things. As you get older, a matte finish isn't something you want. In fact, I at times fake a moist complexion by patting oily fingers on my cheek bones. don't really need to, but right after you apply mineral powder, you look pretty matte for a while.

(the Coty loose powder my Grandmother wore still comes in the exact same container last I saw it in the drugstore. Obviously to appeal to their demographic. She wore the powder and lipstick. I kind of want some just for the box).

You apply milk of magnesia before makeup. The clays in it absorb oil. The only thing is that MoM is alkaline and you should use an acidic toner to help compensate. I never tried it since no one told me about it back when my skin was grotesquely oily.

There have been really lengthy threads on the use of MOM here but they obviously haven't been bumped in a while.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/11/2013 4:00 pm

Hmm. i thought thought the matte look was out. But it could be back in again for all I pay attention to such things. As you get older, a matte finish isn't something you want. In fact, I at times fake a moist complexion by patting oily fingers on my cheek bones. don't really need to, but right after you apply mineral powder, you look pretty matte for a while.

(the Coty loose powder my Grandmother wore still comes in the exact same container last I saw it in the drugstore. Obviously to appeal to their demographic. She wore the powder and lipstick. I kind of want some just for the box).

You apply milk of magnesia before makeup. The clays in it absorb oil. The only thing is that MoM is alkaline and you should use an acidic toner to help compensate. I never tried it since no one told me about it back when my skin was grotesquely oily.

There have been really lengthy threads on the use of MOM here but they obviously haven't been bumped in a while.

If my face gets too powdery, it looks dreadful, but I don't want shine to make my face look greasy. There's a good balance I think. If you go on Youtube nearly every girl does a liquid foundation and a setting powder.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/11/2013 6:29 pm

If my face gets too powdery, it looks dreadful, but I don't want shine to make my face look greasy. There's a good balance I think. If you go on Youtube nearly every girl does a liquid foundation and a setting powder.

Well, I've noticed shine on your forehead and nose looks greasy. Shine on your cheeks looks young and dewy.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/11/2013 10:55 pm

For my store bought Regimen Products

Cleanser ------------- $16.50 (last 6 months)

Benzoyl Peroxide --- $25 (lasts 2 months)

Moisturizer AM ------ $60 (last 4 months)

Moisturizer PM ------ $17 (lasts 6 months)

Jojoba oil ------------- $27.50 (lasts 8 months)

Glycolic Acid --------- $37.5 (lasts 10 months)

Moisturizer w/ SPF--- $15 (lasts 5 months)

Make-up

Foundation ---------- $20 (lasts 5 months)

Concealer ----------- $25 (lasts more than a year)

Powder -------------- $40 (lasts 5 months)

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 06/15/2013 2:10 am

Ohh lord...here goes.

Skincare

Cleanser: $12, 7 months

AM Moisturizer: $13, 6 months

PM Moisturizer: $13, 6 months

Epiduo: $50 ($35 with coupon), 6 months

Makeup

Concealer: $32, 7 or 8 months

Foundation: $27, 8 months +

Eyeliner: $5, 5 or 6 months

Mascara: $6.50, 6 months

Blush: $30, 8 months +

Makeup setting spray: $30, 6 months +

Lips: $6, 6 months +

Total: $218

Some of them I'm not sure how long they last. But oh my gosh, I spend a lot on my face products. I guess it's because I'm very picky about what I put on my face.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 06/15/2013 4:17 pm

Skincare:

Basically I'm still on the Regimen so I bought the "giant kit" that includes the 3 big bottles, AHA and jojoba oil. So essentially it's like $100 and I've been using it for 5 months but still haven't run out so I guess it's gonna last me a while more.

Makeup: (for a full face)

Primer: $34, 6 months

Foundation: $42, 6 months

Concealer: $20, 6 months

Setting powder: $32, 1-2 years?

Blush: $24, FOREVER (I've had it for 3 years and honestly I probably am 1/4 into it)

Eyebrow pencil: $15, 3 years?

Eyeliner: $24, 6 months

Mascara: $15, >1 year

Tinted lip balm: $15, >1 year

Soooo like $221 for makeup and $100 for face stuff......sounds bad when you put it altogether but it's not like I go out every month and spend $300 on makeup. I used to be okay with just drugstore brands of makeup, like Revlon and Almay and whatever....but once I started "trying" the higher-quality brands from Sephora and whatever....I couldn't go back. Thank God I have a job LOL

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 06/16/2013 5:37 pm

Skincare:

Basically I'm still on the Regimen so I bought the "giant kit" that includes the 3 big bottles, AHA and jojoba oil. So essentially it's like $100 and I've been using it for 5 months but still haven't run out so I guess it's gonna last me a while more.

Makeup: (for a full face)

Primer: $34, 6 months

Foundation: $42, 6 months

Concealer: $20, 6 months

Setting powder: $32, 1-2 years?

Blush: $24, FOREVER (I've had it for 3 years and honestly I probably am 1/4 into it)

Eyebrow pencil: $15, 3 years?

Eyeliner: $24, 6 months

Mascara: $15, >1 year

Tinted lip balm: $15, >1 year

Soooo like $221 for makeup and $100 for face stuff......sounds bad when you put it altogether but it's not like I go out every month and spend $300 on makeup. I used to be okay with just drugstore brands of makeup, like Revlon and Almay and whatever....but once I started "trying" the higher-quality brands from Sephora and whatever....I couldn't go back. Thank God I have a job LOL

I feel you. I have a hard time buying things from CVS anymore! I only shop at sephora or order products online.

Great news everyone! After a vacation I lost my makeup bag! I literally have to buy all new makeup, hoooraaaaay!

</sarcasm>

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 07/07/2013 11:11 pm

Makeup:

Too Faced Primer- $30, 2 or 3 months

NYX Concealer- $5, probably around a year

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Foundation- $12, 3 to 4 months

Baby powder- probably like $10? Lasts for like forever.

Eye shadow- maybe like $5, had for a long time, will probably last forever

Ulta Eyeliner- $4?, 2 months

Maybelline One By One Mascara- $8, 2 months

Totaling around $75. Wow... the primer is what makes the total so big.

Skincare:

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser- $13, 4 or 5 months

Eucerin Redness Relief Moisturizer-$15, 5 to 6 months

Retin-a- $20, 6 months or more, 6 months at least

Neutrogena Night Cream- $13, 6 months to 1 year

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 07/08/2013 5:21 am

Whoa, that's a lot of makeup stuff. I don't much use all this stuff. There's just this lemon scrub that i use and that is more than enough for me. It's worth $50.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 07/22/2013 1:30 pm

Whoa, that's a lot of makeup stuff. I don't much use all this stuff. There's just this lemon scrub that i use and that is more than enough for me. It's worth $50.

That's some expensive scrub! What's it called?

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 07/27/2013 6:33 am

That's some expensive scrub! What's it called?

FORGET ME NOT Lemon Scrub. It's a local stuff i guess but it's pure and devoid of harmful chemicals.

MemberMember
(@flippingduck)

Posted : 08/01/2013 3:00 pm

Skincare:

Face wash Simple kind to skin face wash 2 (1 month)

Moisturiser, Simple face moisturizer 3 (2 months)

Face Wipes, huggies 1 (11 months)

Face brush, bodyshop 4 (1 year)

Makeup:

Foundation, Revlon colorstay, usually 12 but i have to order my colour online so 20 ish (2 month)

Blush, Sleek 5 (forever)

Pressed Powder, Sleek 7 (5 months)

Loose powder, 7 ish (1 year)

Brushes 7 (2 years)

Eyebrow pencil, Rimmel London 3 (6 months)

Eyeliner, MUA 1 (3 months)

Lip balm, Bodyshop 2 (i usually lose it before it runs out :/ )

Mascara, MUA 1 (about 8 months)

soo about 55 on makeup and 10 on face care.