Notifications
Clear all

Starting To Feel Like Accutane Was Just A Tradeoff...

MemberMember
(@gsxr600)

Posted : 06/07/2013 8:19 pm

for terrible lips. My acne insecurity is now surpassed by how disgusting my lips look :( & I've only been on it for like half a month! I'm using aquaphor now but still, the corners of my mouth are cut open and my lips are peeling like crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@claravischronicle)

Posted : 06/07/2013 9:52 pm

I've been on Claravis for a month and I know the feeling. I use something called Bag Balm for my lips and it's fantastic. It's almost like medicated Vaseline and you can buy it at most drug stores. I never go anywhere without my baggie of lip balms and it's just something you have to deal with for the treatment. This is my 2nd round and I've noticed the past week my lips have gotten more dry but I just try to apply balm as often as possible. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:25 am

Bag Balm- the best stuff made on this beautiful earth (also the tin is quite pretty as well). Bag balm is awsome just slather your lips with it and rub it in really good like it says in the directions... except they say rub it into the cows utters- but you dont have those- so just pretend it says lips. my lips are not the *main* problems right now, its around my mouth that makes me look like i either just came back from climbing everest and nearly survived frost bite to the face or i've been doing some mad drugs (i guess in theory we actually are). Anyways good luck! :D

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 06/08/2013 8:52 am

Hydrocortisone ointment got my lips through the worst of it when I was about a month or a month and a half in. My dermatologist recommended it. You can buy it in the drugstore. It comes in a cream or ointment but if you use the ointment it looks just like you have lip balm or Vaseline on your lips. You can only use it a few times a day though and not for an extended period of time so follow the directions on the label. I think I used it for 3-4 days and could tell an amazing difference, my lips looked pretty normal again. I don't use it regularly anymore, just maybe once or twice a week when my lips are feeling rough. In the meantime, I alternate Bag Balm, Aquaphor, Vaseline and Carmex. There is also a product called Dr. Dan's Cortibalm that was supposedly developed especially for Accutane patients but I wasn't all that impressed with it, I had better luck with the hydrocortisone ointment. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@keepcalmandgtfo)

Posted : 06/08/2013 9:27 am

I've been using paw paw ointment which is quite organic & it's been good so far, I've been on accutane for about a month now too.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:07 am

for terrible lips. My acne insecurity is now surpassed by how disgusting my lips look :( & I've only been on it for like half a month! I'm using aquaphor now but still, the corners of my mouth are cut open and my lips are peeling like crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get off the Aquaphor ASAP. It only made my son's lips worse. Use Bag Balm instead. It really is awesome :)

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 06/10/2013 2:44 pm

I used Aquaphor all.the.time. It was the only thing that worked for me. Of course, at the time it wasn't available in the convenient little lip-sized pouches they are now, and I lugged around the huge container around school, but it got me relief!

You'll get used to it. Your lips go back to normal after treatment, and you have fabulous skin.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/10/2013 3:36 pm

I did a accutane course last year and my lips were out of control dry! I used a variety or things to get them better. You will never have normal lips while on accutane it's just impossible I swear. I used bag balm most the time like other said its awesome. Tastes and smells alittle weird but you get used to it. I used Carmex and Vaseline and aquaphor. I almost needed to rotate them because my lips seemed to get used to products and stopped being effective for awhile. During the worst of my times thought my doctor prescribed me a coupoumd called mupirocin which tastes horrible but it worked well. I've heard dr. Dan cortabalm is pretty useless lots of people say it was a waste of money...