Notifications
Clear all

Why Won't Anyone Listen?

MemberMember
(@bradyod)

Posted : 06/05/2013 11:24 am

Hi guys. I've just got back from my GP for the 10000000000th time this year and once again he hasn't listened to me. I have moderate acne but I keep it controlled by doing the regimen 2 or even 3 times a day (My skin is EXTREMELY oily). Ive had acne since I was 14, and now being nearly 19 I am sick to death of it. I get social anxiety, depression and sometimes even think horrible thoughts on how it is effecting me and nobody at all takes me seriously. I've tried every single topical, cream, antibiotic and thing out there for acne and NOTHING works. I've waited long enough and tried so hard and I honestly think accutane is the only thing that will work for me.

Today while seeing my GP, I ask once again about being referred to a dermatologist and he doesn't take me seriously at all. I am not being horrible or saying this in anger but he literally does not know what he is talking about. I told him my story for the 50th time, about how I have tried everything and it is on record and he tells me to 'wash my face more' .............. wash my face more... I wash it about 3 times a day.... 'It only takes a few seconds' ........ this guy is honestly stupid. He then tells me if I want to switch to antibiotics.. which I have already tried... 3 times!! I tell him this and he just doesn't listen. He then tells me to use something new a 'lotion'... I said to him what ingredients does it have and he says 'plenty' ....??!!!!!! I ask him if it involves certain ingredients (I then said plenty of different ingredients) including Salicylic acid and get this.... he said salicylic acid isn't for the skin. I was honestly surprised at how much he didn't know about acne and the treatments and how much he didn't know overall. I'm still surprised he's even allowed to be a GP.

Anyway, after this I then had a long conversation with him and basically explained once again how much acne is effecting my life. I'm sick of being looked at strange, pointed at, laughed at and being the centre of attention when I walk in a room for the bad reasons. My GP told me that my skin isn't cystic so he 'Can't' refer me to a dermatologist, he's told me this multiple times and each time I get more and more angry until I burst out into tears. Right now I feel like this is the only thing in my life that is bringing me down and without it my life would be perfect.

Please, anyone help me or guide to what to do. How do I get put on accutane because I can't afford to go private and my mum and dad don't even take me seriously enough to support me with it, or even listen. I feel so alone and just want to know how to get it. I live in the UK (North West) which means I can't just go to a derm and ask them to help me, I have to get referred by someone because it costs the NHS money.

Please help

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 06/05/2013 11:46 am

In short - go to a different doctor. Whenever i've been to a GP about my skin I dont go to my family doctor I just make an appointment with any doctor at the local nhs healthcare centre, and some doctors know wayyyy more about acne than others, its just finding the right one. You mention your skins under control with the regimen - the only way youre really going to get a referall off any doctor is if you stop the regimen and let your skin break out, you'd be very lucky to find a doctor that would refer you to a dermatologist just for your oily skin (although i know from experience how much it affects your life).

My advice is to let your skin break out at least a little bit (so you actually have some ground to stand on so to speak) and go to a different doctor, explain how you've tried everything (theyll have it on record) and nothing works etc and really make sure they know how depressed its making you. Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@markrusell)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:31 pm

Well the alone way youre absolutely traveling to get a referall off any doctor is if you stop the dieting and let your derma breach out, you'd be actual advantageous to acquisition a doctor that would accredit you to a dermatologist just for your adipose skin

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 06/05/2013 3:59 pm

You need to go private mate. I know exactly how you feel. Honestly most GPs - if not all - are absolutely clueless about acne.

You need to find a way to go private, atleast for the initial consultation with the derm. With a bit a of luck you might be able to convince the derm to refer you back on the NHS.

MemberMember
(@sweetpea94)

Posted : 06/06/2013 6:48 pm

I had never heard of Accutane in the million times I went to see my GP about my skin, only after I went to a special clinic did they suggest it. I think GP's are wary when prescribing it especially to people who have problems with depression due to it being a possible side effect- none of them want to be held responsible for making things worse.

Although this is frustrating, its something to think about.

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 06/07/2013 2:06 am

Yep. Go private. Bypass your GP. I do not know where you live or what type of insurance you have, but I simply went to my insurance provider's website and found a dermatologist who is under my plan. No referral needed. Sorry that you are going through this. Clueless people are just clueless sometimes.

MemberMember
(@rarrrgh)

Posted : 06/10/2013 1:10 am

Stop taking antibiotics they are killing your insides and are going to make things much worse for you in the future, can i just suggest doing some research on yeast infections of the body/skin and look up "candida acne". When our bodies natural flora is disrupted (which is exactly what antibiotics do) both the beneficial and harmful bacteria are being killed off...however antibiotics do not treat yeast which is found naturally in our bodies and instead just provide a giant free range for the yeast to grow out of control and infect our scalps and skin and even effects hormones which also causes breakouts. Please look into this, i recently was in the same boat as you...horrible breakout cysts all over my face was put on minocycline but after finding out about candida i stopped the mino after 1 month and began treating my skin problems as if it was a yeast infection and my over the last 3 weeks my skin has improved sooo much.

Helpful products have been grapefruit seed extract, raw garlic, Nizoral Shampoo, and lots of multivitamins which include DIM and probiotics to replace my damaged beneficial bacteria.

I hope i didnt step out of line by suggesting something so different than traditional meds but i know how frustrating it can be to see no change with rx topicals and harsh oral meds. If i can help one person then maybe we can all start smiling some more and get all of our confidence back :)

Good luck

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 06/10/2013 2:42 pm

I used to have a decent GP, then he moved, and I went to another one. When I had an acne flare up, I asked to be put on Bactrim since that's what worked before. He declined, and looked at my allergy list. Doxycycline was on there (I throw up every time I take it) and he said, "You could tolerate that," and I looked at him like he was crazy. I called my derm the same day and she said, "I'll prescribe some Bactrim to clear it up."

Dermatologists are the way to go, seriously. They understand.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:11 pm

I used to have a decent GP, then he moved, and I went to another one. When I had an acne flare up, I asked to be put on Bactrim since that's what worked before. He declined, and looked at my allergy list. Doxycycline was on there (I throw up every time I take it) and he said, "You could tolerate that," and I looked at him like he was crazy. I called my derm the same day and she said, "I'll prescribe some Bactrim to clear it up."

Dermatologists are the way to go, seriously. They understand.

Some good advice on here!

I've only ever had one decent GP the rest just couldn't care less and I've only found her recently. Having said get, the last NHS derm I went to was not much better than the other GPs (story on another topic) so my new (nice) GP agreed to refer me to someone else :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:16 pm

Check with your insurance provider, you may not even need a referral. I didn't when I saw a derm. many years ago.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:19 pm

Check with your insurance provider, you may not even need a referral. I didn't when I saw a derm. many years ago.

You need to be referred on the NHS

MemberMember
(@magic)

Posted : 06/28/2013 2:08 pm

Your acne must be pretty mild? I seen my Dr today and I wouldn't have had him tell me I can't anything, I asked for a full blood profile, hormone profile and a hydrogen breath test to check for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, I also asked for a referral to a dermatologist.

And I told him I wasn't taking anti-biotics so he had to refer me on, I took away his ace card.

I'm not taking accutane either so when I see the derm their ace card will be taken from them too.

My Dr was a bit miffed when I told him I wouldn't take accutane or antibiotics, but right now I'm quite healthy, but have acne. Which I think is better than being unhealthy and clear.

Antibiotics aren't a permanent solution and when I look at the science behind what accutane actually does in the body, it's not for me.

Right now I have the worst breakout in about 10 years on my face, big red cysts.

I was out and about all day, getting groceries, at the doc, went to the gym which is always full of hot girls.

"Yea, I have acne on my face, and I'm still cooler than any one of yous"

Was my attitude. I actually laughed if I seen anyone glaring.

This is in contrast to 2 weeks ago when the lesser breakout that led to this one began. I wouldn't leave the house and was full of anxiety and depression.

I know it's easier said than done when our skin, our face, is who we are, but it is possible to live on 100% confidently and happily with acne, the life we experience all happens in our heads, it's all our own perception.

Acne sucks, nobody knows how much it sucks more than I do. But I'm the only one who thinks about my acne, everyone else is too busy thinking about themselves too.

Sorry to veer off point. But I'm happy and confident today and my skin is terrible, which puts the reality of it in perspective.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 06/29/2013 8:01 am

Hey Bradyod,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the GP. As mentioned above, don't hesitate or waste time, go private. GP's know nothing when it comes to this. Your use of the term GP I'm guessing means your a limey too; I can recommend Spire healthcare. Drop them an email or call, ask for the dermatology department and make an appointment for a consultation with a dermatologist. This will cost you approx 150 depending on your location. Isotretinoin WILL clear you.

I've travelled this road many times, dicking around with GP's etc. Feel free to message me.

Best of luck

PS. Heres the link to the clinic - http://www.spirehealthcare.com/