Notifications
Clear all

2Nd Time Around- Follow Me!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 06/03/2013 6:10 pm

Hello, all! I officially start a second round of Accutane this Wednesday (fingers crossed) so I thought I'd make a good ole log again. Sigh. Excited to start this drug again but wishing I didn't even need to be here!

A little background is that I'm 20 years old, female, and went on a 6-month dose of 40mg of Accutane July 2011 until January 2012. I was clear for about a year before I started noticing spots again. So that's why I'm here. My acne is much more mild this time around but still enough for me to consider going back on this drug. I hope I see permanent results this time.

Fingers crossed and I'll keep this log updated!

Round 2 here we go.....!

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:37 am

Wow! I remember we were on our accutane courses at the same time. I just posted an update saying I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping to try accutane one last time. Bittersweet. I'm happy to go through this with someone in the same boat as me but sad we have to go through this again. I will definitely follow your log!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 06/05/2013 10:55 am

Wow! I remember we were on our accutane courses at the same time. I just posted an update saying I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping to try accutane one last time. Bittersweet. I'm happy to go through this with someone in the same boat as me but sad we have to go through this again. I will definitely follow your log!

Woah girl I totally remember you!!!! Yes this is definitely bittersweet that we meet again like this. Haha. I'm definitely excited too that we get to go through this together again and can report the differences of a 1st and 2nd course. Here's to clear skin!!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 06/21/2013 6:20 pm

A little upset here!

All this time I was thinking I'd start Accutane this week and go to the dermatologist and learn that the nurse never signed me up for iPledge! I am livid. I now have to wait 30 more days because that's how long I have to be in the system before starting the pill. :(

MemberMember
(@whitneyonaccutane)

Posted : 07/08/2013 1:05 pm

Hey! Were you not able to use your same iPledge number? I don't know if that would change anything but I was able to use my same ipledge number and whatnot. I did have to confirm my two forms of contraception, however. That just sucks. I'm always nervous about that too because I see a different doctor every time I go to the dermatologist. =/

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/23/2013 7:04 pm

Whitney- yes I am using my old accutane number!

DAY 1:

I FINALLY STARTED BACK ON ACCUTANE! So ecstatic!!!!!! I'm taking Clarvis this time instead of Amnesteem. Anyone know the difference between the two? I've heard they're pretty much the same.

So excited to be starting my journey to clear skin again! :)

Taking Clarvis 40mg

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/23/2013 7:13 pm

Claravis and Amnesteem are just different generic versions of Accutane/Isotretinoin. Essentially the same.

Good luck with your course. Don't forget to take your pills with food to maximise absorption.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/27/2013 3:41 pm

DAY 5:

I am HATING Clarvis so far (compared to Amnesteem). I have had more side effects in these first 5 days than I had in 6 months on Amnesteem! Ugh!

My lips constantly feel on fire, and I am always holding Carmex next to me to keep reapplying. I also haven't been sleeping well and I researched and some people suffered from insomnia while on Clarvis! Ughhh. I'm holding out though. If it keeps my skin clearer than Amnesteem did I can suck it up for these 6 months. We shall see.

No initial breakout really, but no improvement on my skin either. All is about the same.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 07/31/2013 3:44 pm

Good luck on your course! Ill be starting my second course as well in the next couple days.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 07/31/2013 7:19 pm

Good luck on your course! Ill be starting my second course as well in the next couple days.

Awesome! (Well not really but you get the point!) I'll be sure to follow your progress :)

DAY 8:

I am hating this. neutral.gif Everything itches. My face, my scalp. Ughhhhhhh. I don't remember my last course being this annoying. I miss Amnesteem. :(

Anyway I'm definitely in my small IB now. I've got a few mean zits right now, hoping those will go away soon and I'll be clear.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/04/2013 6:10 pm

Ugh I hate Clarvis. I didn't have these symptoms on Amnesteem and it's pissing me off!

DAY 12:

Skin? Dry. Lips? Dry. Eyes? SUPER DRY! I'm hating this at the moment! My skin isn't even any better really. Ugh! When is this shit going to kick in?!

Rant over.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/04/2013 7:04 pm

I would be more worried if you didn't have dry skin and (especially) dry lips. These are the cardinal side effects of Accutane, and in fact they are sometimes used by Dermatologists to measure patient compliance with taking their pills as directed.

Some patients do not appear to metabolize isotretinoin as well as others and therefore may require higher doses. Adherence to therapy must also be considered. Mucocutaneous side effects particularly cheilitis are usually a good measure of absorption.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/04/2013 8:22 pm

I would be more worried if you didn't have dry skin and (especially) dry lips. These are the cardinal side effects of Accutane, and in fact they are sometimes used by Dermatologists to measure patient compliance with taking their pills as directed.

Some patients do not appear to metabolize isotretinoin as well as others and therefore may require higher doses. Adherence to therapy must also be considered. Mucocutaneous side effects particularly cheilitis are usually a good measure of absorption.

(Quote from here)

Good luck

I never thought of it like that! Thanks! I'm definitely taking the pills every day though. While it is a good thought that my body is absorbing the medication better, it's also curious why I got so clear on Amnesteem. Maybe this time I'll stay clear though! Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/04/2013 8:37 pm

Yeah dry lips and skin are very common on Accutane and are actually a good sign, even if annoying (see here).

Don't forget to take your pills with food to maximise absorption.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:44 am

I have a question. My doctor told me (the day I got my prescription) to schedule my appointment for 3 weeks later to come back to view my lab results and get my next prescription. Well, I did that and today is the day I was told to get my blood work done. However, I have like 15 pills left. What's up with this? Why am I already getting labs again? I don't want to mess this up and I feel like it's too early to go back for my next set.

With how many pills left should you have blood work done?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:21 pm

I always get my lab work done 3-4 days before my appointment to give them time to run it and send it to the doctor. I agree 15 days does sound a bit early especially on the first month.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/09/2013 5:54 pm

I always get my lab work done 3-4 days before my appointment to give them time to run it and send it to the doctor. I agree 15 days does sound a bit early especially on the first month.

Thanks! Yeah that's what I'm thinking too

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 08/09/2013 9:27 pm

Good luck with your second course! I'm about 6 weeks from finishing my second course.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/09/2013 11:30 pm

Good luck with your second course! I'm about 6 weeks from finishing my second course.

Thanks! Nice, I hope you're happy with your progress!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/11/2013 6:17 pm

DAY 19:

Things are looking up! My eyes are not dry and red anymore (YAY!) and my lips are dry but it's 100% more bearable than it was a few days ago. I only have like one zit on my face at this point!!! And I'm starting to get that Accutane glow I had when I was last on the pill. My face looks awesome right now. I'm excited!

I have a tiny patch of eczema on my arm right now, which I had last course too. It's bearable too. Nothing else to report.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 08/20/2013 9:15 pm

DAY 28:

I'm almost a month down! Wow!

Alright well I had one active (!!!!) this past week and was so excited for it to clear and to not have any actives, but 2 others took its place. Which I shouldn't complain about!

I went to the derm today and she said I'm looking so good I might only need a 3 month course. Which I'm very worried about. Next time I go in I'm going to tell her more about my history with Accutane and how my acne came back after a year and see if I can do the typical 4-month course. I don't want any chance of this stuff coming back again.

As far as side effects go the only real issue is my lips. Which is expected. The corners of my nose aren't dry anymore and neither are my eyes.

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 08/21/2013 5:32 am

That's great! Yeah, it's probably a good idea to get as much in your system as you can as long as the side effects are mild to make sure it works for a loooooong long time (forever). I can't wait to be done, my lips are driving me crazy but it's still well worth it. I'm glad you're responding to it so well, hope the rest of your course goes even better.

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 09/06/2013 7:39 pm

That's great! Yeah, it's probably a good idea to get as much in your system as you can as long as the side effects are mild to make sure it works for a loooooong long time (forever). I can't wait to be done, my lips are driving me crazy but it's still well worth it. I'm glad you're responding to it so well, hope the rest of your course goes even better.

Thanks, good luck to you too! I know what you mean, I'm done with these side effects too!

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 09/25/2013 7:39 pm

Month 3:

I'm starting my 3rd month and my derm wants it to be my last. Never heard of anyone on a 3 month trial of Accutane but we'll see. What's everyone think about this? She said I can do a 4th if I really want to.

I haven't had any actives for about a month or more now I think, so I guess it's okay. I just want this to be long-term results and I'm worried about that with only a 3 month dosage. We'll see I guess!

Everything is super duper dry, which is expected. Other than that no side effects.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/26/2013 10:25 am

Hard to say because everyone is different but longer may be better. Although it sounds like you cleared up really fast so youre probably good. I would judge it and make a decision after this month.