Notifications
Clear all

At What Age Range Is Having Acne The Worst?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/02/2013 4:54 pm

Most of the ppl on this forum seem to be very young like in high school and college. But theres also tons of ppl here who are in their mid and late 20s and many in their 30s as well. There are ppl here in their 40s but lesser and 50+ much rare. Theres a subforum where its for adult acne which is for 25+.

I'm 27 and had acne since i was 15. At 15-17, my acne was moderate. At that time, i didn't care much about it. I also didn't care how i looked at all though. I was a nerd/geek and only thing i cared about were grades and tv. I didn't even look or care about my face at that time, i wore glasses, geeky hairstyle etc you get the point. My acne from 18-21 was moderate-severe. At that time i was very self conscious because i was in college at that time. I felt very unhappy etc, you get the point.

My acne cleared up a lot when i was 24 or so and I had thought finally i outgrew acne. I still had acne but it was pretty mild. I did have the occasional cyst but it was only when i ate fried food etc.

My acne came back last year and it gotten me feel as worst as ever now. The big difference here is i'm 27 now as oppose to when i was 20.

To those of you who had acne most of your life, I'm wondering at what age range is having acne the worst? Would love to hear insight from those of you that are 30+.

I see so many ppl unhappy b/c of their acne and most of them are in high school. I know its horrible to have it at that young age when you making friends with ppl etc. The same as with college where acne hurts you more than in high school. I then read about lot of ppl here who say they are unhappy b/c they are an adult at 24 and still suffer through acne and look like a kid.

That got me thinking. At what age range would you say is the worst to have acne? I know many of the young ppl here in their teens and early 20s are upset but can young ppl imagine how bad acne is when they are 25+ as oppose to right now? Or still having bad acne at 30+.

In my experience, i think having acne at 25+ is worst than having it when you are 14-21. The thing is however if you have it at 40, i feel like it isn't as bad as when you are in your mid late 20s or early 30s. Anyone agree/disagree with my logic? The thing is most ppl who get acne are in their teens anyways so why do so many of them get so unhappy? I mean do you really think you are the only 15 year old with acne or something? The majority of ppl with acne are between 14-18 if im not mistaken? Acne is so common for a teen and even when i was 15-17, I didn't think much about it b/c i saw others with it. But for whose of you who are college age, i can definitely see it bothering you. But i feel like having it at an adult like 25+, its the worst.

Its simliar to like well if you aren't married at 40, then most likely its going to be impossible simliar to like at 40 and having bad acne, then its going to be very tough to cure it?

Would like opinions from you and what age u are as well? Would like opinion from those of you who are younger and older.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:03 pm

probably any age, I mean nobody really wants acne. but I'm 31 and I still get break outs like moderate ones nothing really severe but it is embarrassing. and yea i'll probably be 40 if I'm still alive and not be married. and if I still have acne prone skin forget about it. my entire life has been a waste.

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:38 pm

20 and up

MemberMember
(@thegoodson)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:43 pm

I feel like this sometimes myself. It's summer time and everyone's out at the beach and the pool. I can't even play basketball without a shirt on it sucks. Now late twenties I really wish there was some way to end this. I keep looking for a girl with acne to date so i'll feel more comfortable about it. i feel it's the only way i'll truly be accepted. The type of girl im looking for is probably hiding indoors and a little leary of branching out, which makes my search twice as difficult. :(

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:21 pm

I imagine the older you get the worse it would feel to have acne since it's more out of the "social norm" to have acne as you age glare.gif I'm 25 and still get acne and it makes me feel very self conscious because I rarely see people around my age with acne. In high school I didn't care at all about having acne, not the way I obsess about my skin now anyways lol.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/03/2013 1:43 pm

When I was in high school, it didn't bother me as much, because like you said, it's common for teenagers to have it. I thought it would go away once I get older. What I had back then was pretty mild.

I would say the worst acne I had was when I was just starting college, but that's because those were the side effects from medications I was taking (who knows, I probably wouldn't have had acne if I didn't take those medications). The second worst time was during my second year of university (when I was 21). Now a year later at age 22, my acne isn't so bad compared to before, but it's still there, and like melmel87 said, it makes me feel self-conscious because I don't see many people around my age with acne.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:02 pm

I am 40 and I still get breakouts (have had acne in varying degrees since the age of 12). Trust me, when you are 40 and still suffering from something that no one else in your peer group has, it makes you feel even more like a freak.

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:10 pm

I'm nearly 38 and have had acne since I was 13. Although, it did have a negative effect on my teenage years, I feel it was more 'acceptable' to others then as teenagers are expected to get at least some acne. However, I thought it was something I would eventually outgrow. Unfortunately I didn't. I find it really embarrassing that everyone can see i still have acne in my late 30's (and the many scars I have on my chin which people can't seem to take their eyes off.....).

I think while I have to go out to work every day and face many people, it's something thats' always going to have a major impact in how I interact with others. I don't see it ever getting any easier (except maybe when I am retired and too old to care about what others think of my appearance!).

Frank*L liked
MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/03/2013 5:51 pm

It is the worst at any age for different reasons. Between 12-18 you will be put in isolation because of it and at 18+ you can't get a relationship (and still kind of judged on it).

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 06/03/2013 7:25 pm

This post makes me wanna die even more.

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/03/2013 10:59 pm

You can't get in a relationship because of acne 18+?

What kind of bull is that? So totally NOT true.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/04/2013 4:01 pm

Sorry for the double post. But I think you're bound to find a keeper when you have acne because then you see the real side of people.

A person who can look past your skin and still find you beautiful and attractive is worth way more than someone who is superficial and refuses to date you or give you a chance because of your skin.

Those persons do not exist in my neighbourhood.

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:00 pm

Sorry for the double post. But I think you're bound to find a keeper when you have acne because then you see the real side of people.

A person who can look past your skin and still find you beautiful and attractive is worth way more than someone who is superficial and refuses to date you or give you a chance because of your skin.

Well then get out of your neighborhood. You're bound to find somebody.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:07 pm

I think acne at any age sucks but IMHO, acne as an adult bites. I am 30 next month and my acne is not controlled. I know at this point i will never outgrow it so my goal is to control it as much as possible. In my job, i work with over 100 people and i am 1 of 3 people with obvious acne. Yup....adult acne is the worse.

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:09 pm

I'm nearly 38 and have had acne since I was 13. Although, it did have a negative effect on my teenage years, I feel it was more 'acceptable' to others then as teenagers are expected to get at least some acne. However, I thought it was something I would eventually outgrow. Unfortunately I didn't. I find it really embarrassing that everyone can see i still have acne in my late 30's (and the many scars I have on my chin which people can't seem to take their eyes off.....).

I think while I have to go out to work every day and face many people, it's something thats' always going to have a major impact in how I interact with others. I don't see it ever getting any easier (except maybe when I am retired and too old to care about what others think of my appearance!).

Agree with you Kate on the fact that having acne in your teens is somehow more acceptable.

I had a horrendous time in my teens and was bullied mercilessly because of my acne. However, at least back then I knew of other people in my peer group who also had acne whereas now I don`t know of anyone who is my age and continues to breakout.

The frustrating thing is that I do have periods where my skin is totally clear and then within the space of a couple of days I breakout horribly. No one says anything when this happens but I am sure that people think that I am somehow unhealthy when they see me broken out. The reality is that nothing could be further from the truth as I am otherwise perfectly fit and healthy.

I would love to be able to just shrug it off and accept it but right now I am finding that virtually impossible.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:30 pm

I can't get out of my neighbourhood due to obligations. There is no rule or law which states that I will find somebody. When I find somebody it will always be a bonus to my life.

Life is in general unfair. Fairy tales do not exist in real life.

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/04/2013 5:49 pm

I can't get out of my neighbourhood due to obligations. There is no rule or law which states that I will find somebody. When I find somebody it will always be a bonus to my life.

You're just super negative for no reason. You're not a bad looking person. You say there are no women in your neighborhood that will give you the time of day. I really don't believe that. Not every woman is superficial and is worried about some pimples on a man's face. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude, because being completely negative upon yourself and on others is what will push people (women) away from you. Nobody wants a downer. Yes, life is unfair, but fairy-tales do exist; to some extent. You'll figure that out when you meet that very special woman one day.💕

But you need to work on your confidence first, making yourself happy and loving yourself acne and all.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:12 pm

You're just super negative for no reason. You're not a bad looking person. You say there are no women in your neighborhood that will give you the time of day. I really don't believe that. Not every woman is superficial and is worried about some pimples on a man's face. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude, because being completely negative upon yourself and on others is what will push people (women) away from you. Nobody wants a downer. Yes, life is unfair, but fairy-tales do exist; to some extent. You'll figure that out when you meet that very special woman one day.

But you need to work on your confidence first, making yourself happy and loving yourself acne and all.

Confidence does not work for me.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:20 pm

yea I have that same outlook on life. I see the world as just a bunch of random events and nothing is given. But hey look man I'm ugly as hell despite my acne and scars. Even if I had a baby smooth complexion I'm still ugly. that being said I've still gotten laid and been in a couple of relationships. I messed those up because I'm also an idiot and one was a psycho bi-polar chick but thats a long ass story.

anyway my point is I'm sure you can get a girl. but i also understand how hard it is I'm full of self hate and that attitude is like a female repellent. we probably gotta work on that.

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:33 pm

You're just super negative for no reason. You're not a bad looking person. You say there are no women in your neighborhood that will give you the time of day. I really don't believe that. Not every woman is superficial and is worried about some pimples on a man's face. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude, because being completely negative upon yourself and on others is what will push people (women) away from you. Nobody wants a downer. Yes, life is unfair, but fairy-tales do exist; to some extent. You'll figure that out when you meet that very special woman one day.

This is exactly my point. Of course it is not going to work for you with an attitude like that.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/05/2013 1:54 am

This is exactly my point. Of course it is not going to work for you with an attitude like that.

Why do you think I say things like that?

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/05/2013 3:49 am

Because you're not satisfied or happy with yourself the way that you are.

Like okay you have acne. You may have hyperpigmentation and some scars. But look at it this way...You don't have an extreme third degree burn on your face. You just have some pimples and scars and whatever else. Like...if there are people who have no face at all and they are married, happy with kids.

Acne is the least of your worries. That negative attitude of yours is not very attractive and WILL push women away from you. Amazing how I've met people with permanent third degree burns on their faces who do NOT have the same mindset or attitude like yourself. They can't use products to get rid of the scar it leaves. My own mother has a severe scar from getting a third degree burn, from her shoulders to her arms and she wears shirts all the time that shows it and she doesn't give two damns. She can't get rid of it and she doesn't hide it. She's had it for 30+ years and found a wonderful man of whom she has been married to for 30+.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 06/05/2013 3:57 am

After 20 when you are suppose to have the best time of your life. Nowadays most derms are giving accutane even for mild acne anyways.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/05/2013 4:21 am

Because you're not satisfied or happy with yourself the way that you are.

Like okay you have acne. You may have hyperpigmentation and some scars. But look at it this way...You don't have an extreme third degree burn on your face. You just have some pimples and scars and whatever else. Like...if there are people who have no face at all and they are married, happy with kids.

Acne is the least of your worries. That negative attitude of yours is not very attractive and WILL push women away from you. Amazing how I've met people with permanent third degree burns on their faces who do NOT have the same mindset or attitude like yourself. They can't use products to get rid of the scar it leaves. My own mother has a severe scar from getting a third degree burn, from her shoulders to her arms and she wears shirts all the time that shows it and she doesn't give two damns. She can't get rid of it and she doesn't hide it. She's had it for 30+ years and found a wonderful man of whom she has been married to for 30+.

I don't show any negative attitude in real life. It only exists in my head. Those people, you are talking about, are lucky that they didn't live in an environment that would severly bully people because of the way they look. I didn't have to go talk to girls. They just come to me preemtively and let me know that they don't like me.

The thing is that looks do matter and for a very good reason. It is possible for people to recognize within 5 seconds if someone is severly ill or not by just looking at their skin. They can also determine within 5 seconds if someone is likeable or not.

The problem begun 15 years ago and it is still ongoing to this day. I still haven't done anything with girls and just last year I was finally able to talk to girls in the way I talked with my mother and sister. Took them long enough to just accept me the way I am and look.

MemberMember
(@cyberpile)

Posted : 06/05/2013 7:14 am

The age when you learn with certainty that even if your acne cleared up, you'll always see a gross interconnected web of diverse scars across your face when you look in the mirror.